6otM 24 Announcement

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization VI - Game of the Month 24
Welcome to the 24th game in the 6OTM Series! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series.
Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, or Myself know (via Conversation (Private Message)) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed. Gifting of cities is an exploit in a religious VC the AI cant see that it will lose if it accepts the cities. .
Civ VI - 6otM 24 Details:
Player (You): Trajan of Rome
Victory Condition:Domination but all other VC are enabled
Difficulty: Emperor
Civs/City-States (including player): 8/12
Map Type/Size: Continents /Standard Size
Game pace: Standard
Options:
No Tribal villages

Rome's Unique Attributes
Spoiler :
Trajan's Special Ability: Trajan's Column - All cities start with an additional City Center building (starts with a Monument building in the Ancient Era.).

Unique Ability: All Roads Lead to Rome: All cities you found or conquer start with a Trading Post. If the city is within trade route range of your Capital, they also start with a road to the city. Your trade routes earn +1 Gold for passing through Trading Posts in your own cities.

Unique Unit: Legion: Roman unique unit that replaces the Swordsman. Can build a Roman fort. Requires Iron Working and Iron to build.

Unique District: Bath: A district unique to Rome for city growth. Replaces the Aqueduct.

Where you will start:

6otM24.jpg

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.
Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
In development.

This game runs for a month and ends November 1, 2017.

Attachments

• 6otM24 rome domination.Civ6Save
    394.1 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
Oh well, this is my first GotM. Wish me luck. Anything to consider as a newbie?

Anything to consider as a newbie?
Not really, they tend to make the maps interesting.
Try not to do anything that you would consider taking advantage... agreeing a deal for someones city for 50 GPT and then declaring on them the next turn for example.
Some people go for the shortest time, some people just have fun.

Oh well, this is my first GotM. Wish me luck. Anything to consider as a newbie?

As a relative newbie (I've done 2), I'd say: have fun, play your own way.

Check in with the Opening Actions thread after 100 turns to compare notes. The competitive aspect matters as little or as much as you want it to. You're unlikely to get the fastest victory or highest score on your first go, but it's an interesting learning experience to see the different decisions that the fast players made.

Mostly I just like having a choice of civ, difficulty, and victory type set for me and to compare and contrast my play style with others using a fixed game as a reference point. It's a little more sociable than a regular single player game :)

Good luck!

Can't tell if that is a coast or lake I'm looking at. If coast, initially considering setter 1SW/1W for coastal/river city - I don't like moving the lux's from ring 1/2 to 2/3, but still provides spot for another city with lux in ring 2 again -- with Rome's free monuments that should be ok. This potentially gives opportunity for quicker galleys to explore. Position also makes me debate the warrior initial move - if coast, do I move 1W to see more to help city placement decision or move 2E or 2N to get further inland to find CS/AI quicker? Overall I think my military would generally be archers/warriors/HChar to start with goal of upgrading all of them one level, conquer my continent quickly, and then get to other continent for world domination. Districts most likely one encampment, at least one campus, two harbors, commercial districts; whatever else I capture. While I hate the missing tribal villages, will likely still start with scout, then settler/builder (potentially swapped), then slingers galore with a few warriors, then galleys.

This would be a dream start if playing as Cleopatra (all the rivers for building discounts).

To Eyswein, if you look at the tile due west of settler, you see the river forming a delta - which means W/NW is coast/lake tile as well, and moving warrior west is unwise unless absolutely desperate to check the body of water for bonus resources.

From my perspective, if the water is a lake, settling on it is a waste of time and movement. If it is an ocean, then I'd still prefer not to settle on it with this settler, but instead send my first settler SW for a coastal city. Biggest issue with initial city location is lack of more than one 2x production tiles. However, as Trajan, that will change quick enough as borders expand onto one of the 3 adjacent forests, allowing for focused production early on.

With the abundance of bonus resources already visible, odds of adding Horses/Iron within city limits are low, so I'd definitely build Scout->Settler->Slinger, and probably use gold to pick up a builder ASAP. Getting a source of Horse or Iron is going to be critical, and worth a delay on the initial combat unit I rush to deal with Barbarian camps (and to get the Eurekas for getting the Iron/etc techs). With a plan for first Settler heading SW, that's the direction I'd want the warrior moving (to deal with Barbarian units), and send the Scout east, northeast, or north. Personally I'd head north to get a firm grasp on my relative N/S map position (find some tundra or jungle) before turning east or west. And yes, I'd do Scout even without villages, just to up my odds of getting free Envoys at City States. Early Industry or Military CS can make a huge difference in getting some early conquest going on.

I am tempted to go for a no freshwater start

My first thought is that sounds insane! But +1p/g to start; then with a quarry and a hill mine, you can have 2 tiles with 3 production and lots of farm country. I think SIP results in T7-scout, T18-settler; my first thought of moving to ocean would delay this one turn. Moving and emphasizing production I think would be T6-scout, T14-builder, T21-settler. Wondering if quarry and two farms for +1 housing or quarry/mine/farm for straight size 2 production and wait for +housing. Then like wyldmage suggests put 2nd city on ocean. On top of that I have a lux to trade right away.

Now you have me thinking about it, darn it!!! Now debating 3 start locations (1NW gypsum; SIP; 1SW/1W ocean/river). Never tried a no freshwater start and wonder about long term effects - but what's life without whimsy.

I've just got Civ VI and want to download GOTMs and try them out. However, I can't figure out where to put the downloaded file so I can start with it. Please help %-|

Now you have me thinking about it, darn it!!!
I'll put your mind at rest, I settled in place. Not gonna say here whether that was right or not though.
Never tried a no freshwater start
I play them often because I play England... coast is fine but non coast is a but restricting, you really use it when you are sure you want to pump settlers for a while with just a few prod squares which was what I was thinking at the time.
On top of that I have a lux to trade right away.
A builder opening can be fine for this also
I've just got Civ VI and want to download GOTMs and try them out. However, I can't figure out where to put the downloaded file so I can start with it. Please help %-|
If you look under my documents there should be a folder called games or similar. In side there is a civ VI folder, installed de that is a saves folder and inside that is a single folder. Not near a PC but I believe that's close enough to help.

Last edited:
Oh Gods I'm so bad ad domination victory... XD Last one was on Deity and so difficult for me (never finished it, around turn 200 with only 2 capitals captured...)
I like Trajan though, maybe this time I'll make it work.

I play them often because I play England... coast is fine but non coast is a but restricting, you really use it when you are sure you want to pump settlers for a while with just a few prod squares which was what I was thinking at the time.

Wondering if it could also work for a faster military start to conquer my nearest neighbors. Slightly faster scout for potential settler pillaging. Trade the 2 lux for gold to 2 neighbors, get archers quicker, warrior/archer swarm earlier.

I think I had that problem too, I knew the save had to go into something like the "My Documents/ My Games/Civ6/Saves/Single" folder, but couldn't find it. I think the game doesn't create that folder until either you start a Single player game, or maybe not even until you do a save of a Single player game.

Very interesting game setting, similar to 6OTM 23. Curios if I've learnt anything from playing that one ... guess we're about to see.

I think I had that problem too, I knew the save had to go into something like the "My Documents/ My Games/Civ6/Saves/Single" folder, but couldn't find it. I think the game doesn't create that folder until either you start a Single player game, or maybe not even until you do a save of a Single player game.

Thanks for the hint. I've got it. I forgot to look for the "My Games" subdirectory under My Documents and just looked for something that might belong to 2K Games/Firaxis/CIv6/whatever and that's why I could not find it.

My first thought is that sounds insane! But +1p/g to start; then with a quarry and a hill mine, you can have 2 tiles with 3 production and lots of farm country. I think SIP results in T7-scout, T18-settler; my first thought of moving to ocean would delay this one turn. Moving and emphasizing production I think would be T6-scout, T14-builder, T21-settler. Wondering if quarry and two farms for +1 housing or quarry/mine/farm for straight size 2 production and wait for +housing.

I don't think one of the hills is likely to pop early since the border will capture the resources first. But at size 2 you can work gypsum and forest and wait for 2 farms to grow again. I ran the numbers and it looks like T-10 worker, T-18 settler, then grow back to pop 2 at T-20. If you really need to grow to 4 early you can harvest the 3rd wheat, and by the time you're done pumping settlers, you'll have a Bath.

Overall it's a bit of a greedy strategy, but I'll try it for the sake of doing something different, and if it works for any Civ, it would be Rome. (With any other Civ and with goody huts I would probably still go scout first, since the scout might be getting more value than a settler 3 turns early.)

Top Bottom