1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 26 After Actions Report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 26 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attached your victory save to your post.
    - How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you bother with Religion?
    - Did you bother with Science?
    - How did you pump your Tourism?
    - Did you instigate any major wars?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. Photi

Photi Governor

Culture Victory Turn 177
    Score 290

I did not settle any additional cities after T100. So i had 7 total, but should have had at least 9 to speed up victory.

On the civics side, after Drama and Poetry, i went straight for Humanism and then Natural History for the archaeologists. After that i (wrongly) went for the Christo Redentor civic, but instead i should have gone directly to Cultural Heritage for the 100% tourism from artifacts and art policy card.

I also had all these Great Artists sitting around and the money and space to buy an Art Museum, which i eventually did do, but probably at least 20 turns later than i should have.

The tourism boost from trade routes helps a lot, and though i did eventually have 4 commercial hubs and 5 trade routes, those also coulda/shoulda been built sooner.

With the science, the goal with Radio is for the seaside resorts, but at least on King level or below, victory comes sooner than seaside resorts, so science seems like a waste.

I am happy with my game, other than the ancient war with India it was entirely peaceful, it is just that now it is done and over with i feel like 20-30 turns could have been shaved off had i made fewer mistakes.

Spoiler :
    20171102174718_1.jpg 20171102174744_1.jpg 20171102174803_1.jpg 20171102174827_1.jpg 20171102174848_1.jpg 20171102174614_1.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

CV T167

Damn you beat me in finishing.
    I disagree, A dom science seaside destructo route can be very fast and probably atround T120 for this map
    I did a completely peaceful pure culture one just because I get bored of violence.... You can try and play without violence for a change which is what I did.... but I did get bored.
    Spoiler :

How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled 7, captured 1

What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Straight up the culture line to Heritage tourism and did not quite make it to social media

Did you bother with Religion?

Yuk no

Did you bother with Science?
    Nup, pure culture... I built & bought a cou[ple of campus on about T160 coz I was boired

How did you pump your Tourism?
    I also decided 0 wonders so just divine spark and hope they do not get a lot of culture quick as its only king

Did you instigate any major wars?
    Not even minor... I got one slinger early and got an archer with boudicca because I had nothing else to do with her and the barbs were a bit annoying
    well... apart from India at the start which was just unacceptable.

Were City-States helpful?
    When I found them... it was T97 when I found Vilnius and T101 when I found Kumasi... I was allied with Trajan for what good his scouts did to help.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Lack of trees and chop made me decided to dump wonders which was a bit meh
    India on my island was weird

Did you enjoy the game?
    Sort of, I think I have done too many of these to enjoy them... I should have played an agressive game, my fault. A straight culture crush is a bit dull, I may play it again with a good fleet.
    The map is challenging and so I should have enjoyed it more

Attached Files:

4. Photi

Photi Governor

i had a peek at your game there, tbh it looks like you played a much better game than me and surprised you didn't come in at T150. you had 8 trade routes, were a merchant republic (i got to classical republic and never looked forward!), didn't waste time on campuses, played a (slightly) better diplo game, more books and artifacts, and you teched your civics faster. so either you didn't get lucky with the randoms, or i did. either way, good game.

5. Victoria

Some of it is this. I just has trouble finding civic CS. I also could have done other things but it was fine. My main other issue was I just spammed theatres early, I should have done my CH first. There was lots of ways to improve but I was watching vikings a bit so just went auto, sorry

6. Photi

Photi Governor

i have actually now played the first 100 moves on this map 3 or 4 times, i am a bit amazed by the degree of randomness there does seem to be. or even just how slight variations in choices can lead to dramatically different results at T100. The first time i played through, i finished Printing at exactly turn 100, best i have been able to do since then is t110. that first game, i bought a settler, captured a settler, built a settler and captured Delhi all by turn 58, which gave me 5 cities by then. in all subsequent playthroughs, that settler i captured the first time ends up going North to settle after i settle the freshwater hill south of Delhi. the 5 cities (plus 2 more before t100) must be why i was able to get Printing so soon the first time.

also on one of the duplicate playthroughs, i ended going to like turn 210 or so. i wasn't able to win by 170, and after that my tourists were barely keeping up with Peter's, at around turn 210 i was maybe 18 behind Peter's domestics, and the very next turn he had acquired an additional 25 tourists putting me at over 40 foreign tourists behind. that's when i quit that game as it was getting late anyway.

another thing i noticed is the first time i warred with India, Gandhi only had a single warrior to defend his capital with and one or two in the field. each additional time i played the map, he always had an archer in the cap, even though i was DOWing at about the same turn. one time he was even able to get a Varu out while i was attacking him.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  7. Victoria

If I remember correctly my scout hit India and then it was warrior warrior warrior... I friggin hate varu. An early barb rush with a scout really helps, I did not have to wriggle my barbs over the river and by that time my scout had found the religious CS so I was coming back nicely. The scout was over the river so well defended and the barbs just ploughed in.

8. JoZilla

JoZilla Chieftain

CV @183T

My initial start was pretty good. I stole a worker and settler from India and plundered their trade route. I also captured Delhi soon. I was wondering if I should wipe India and decided first to let him live. My idea was that having extra civ for gaining tourists is good. After revealing Iron, I noticed that their last city was only place having iron on my island so I decided to finish India.

I thought that best way to win culture fast, is to eliminate AI to one city for each, so they dont develop strong domestic culture. My priority was on building theater districts and strong navy to make sure AI dont grow too big.

France and Russia were aquiring quite alot great writer points. I didn't see them so I went for Norway and Scythia. I struggled because many of cities weren't at coast, and I had very little land units. My progress in war was very slow and I went for "wrong" civs. During this time France and Russia developed quite big culture.

After getting few citiew from Norway and Scythia, I went towards Russia, which had few great works of writing. This was again very slow progress due to missing land units. I managed to slowly capture all but 1 city from Russia. Then I went towards France, which had few theater districts and some wonders also and the strongest domestic culture.

My war with France was once again very slow. This time I had more land units, but they had a very strong city in Jungle, with 3 crossbowmen and Defender of Faith, which was huge pain for me. I invested many thousands to buy enough units to capture this city.

After war with France, just built culture peacefully.

Looking back, I wasn't very efficient with my war efforts and focused "wrong" civs first. I should have spent money on buying great writers, not buying many knights (about 740 a piece). Start was very good, but mid game not so... I also forgot to use open borders until late game to increase tourism.

Attached Files:

9. Wolfenlane

Wolfenlane Chieftain

CV in turn 215.

Tough map for me - poor with production and science (no mountains) so I struggled to get to flight and it took way too long. I forgot about beelining printing and got it very late.
    I left one indian city to get more tourists dont know if it was right. I wanted the flight cause I thuoght about building heads (from La Venta) all across the land. So I did but it was too late to win that way.
    I thought about dowing France (culture leader) but everybody liked me so I resigned. It was a very peaceful game with only one war.

Nice map, thanks for the game.

Attached Files:

10. Victoria

Taking out one civ makes little difference, there is a surprising graph in the culture guide that shows this. The value of that extra city is quite high.

11. antimony

antimony Chieftain

T185 CV, Score 435

I never played a pure science CV before so that was fun.

Kept the same 11 cities as on Turn 100, plus one in the north to chop Eiffel, and one north of Geneva which ended up just chopping a campus and buildings. Christo was built in Boston with a mix of chops, mines and IZ. Besides the wonders, all I built were builders after I got Civil Engineering (around T130).

The AI were pretty slow at culture in this game except for France towards the end, so I think even on a more aggressive game, theaters could have been faster. I mean, it's really fun to go from 10 to 1000 tourism per turn with resorts + Cristo + Eiffel, but it might be might be overkill at a low difficulty level on that map (where the AI is notoriously bad at expanding, and Rome spawned in the tundra).

Of course it depends how early you meet the good CS (often I found them by becoming suzerain of another CS that explored them). Kumasi was really strong here, carried my culture generation until I switched trade routes to AI cities just before building resorts.

Spoiler :

In other news...
    Spoiler :
    Aren't we glad they have their own layer now.

Attached Files:

Victoria likes this.
  12. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Cultural Victory Turn 213!

Game not valid! I had to reload a couple of turns, because started a session and had a little emergence. So, I forgot to save and close the game... 5 or 6 turns... But the steps were the same!

@antimony and others: could you help, please? I started to build Seaside Resorts, but then discovered it was necessary minimun appeal of breathtaking. How can I up or improve the coastal tiles' appeal to get it till "Breathtaking"? You can see in the picture that I built just a little, and in your game there are several tiles with it!

Attached Files:

13. Victoria

@Falabello
    So each tile by default has 0 appeal
    Each coastal side adds +1
    Each forest adjacent adds +1 <<<<< you can add these
    A river adds +1... or is it 2
    A mountain adds +1
    A natural wonder adds +2
    Each ED, Theatre or holy site +1
    Some engineers give appeal to city tiles
    EIFFEL TOWER give +2 to all your tiles but is in a different part of the tech tree

The secret is in removing the negatives
    Mines -1 <<<< it does not cost a charge for a builder to remove these. Not needed anymore
    Marsh -1
    Jungle -1
    Factory -1

The best option is More trees And kill those negatives
    If you can get toneiffel tower, build a settler, find some tundra with lots of trees, settle with 2 builders and chop all the trees to make it quickly
    Chop your bananas and jungle

14. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Yep! I understood. And I lost several turns not knowing this. I continue my game and with more trees, more apeal... That simple! I should be ashamed of not knowing such a simple thing :lol:.
    I wanted to have more time to play and learn, but not.
    Thanks a lot and congrats for your game :goodjob:!

15. antimony

antimony Chieftain

Eiffel approximately doubled the # of possible resort tiles, so in that particular case it was as good or better than Cristo. But like Victoria said it's a bit out of the way tech-wise. I was lucky with Great Scientists and got all the Eurekas between Gunpowder/Printing and Steel.

16. Victoria

Eiffel Tower normally more than doubles... and it also adds +2 to the existing ones... IMO it's better than Cristo mainly because it can turn pretty much any coastal tile into a resort.

17. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

Culture Victory, Turn 239
    Score 953

Given it was my first GotM, I'm quite happy with the result. Will read your hints to improve. Thanks a lot, it was fun!

Attached Files:

18. guslaet

guslaet Chieftain

CV T375 :hammer2: I think I enjoy role-playing too much to speed up things...

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Lots and lots of cities. By the end I had around 50% of the map.
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Whatever would was the cheapest and would give me more bonuses.
    - Did you bother with Religion?
    Yes. It was pretty useful I think. I made lots of suicidal apostles to get all relics I could store (never did this before).
    - Did you bother with Science?
    I had only one Science district for a long time (the other ones I captured). I compensated it with the Wat (religious building) and diplomacy.
    - How did you pump your Tourism?
    With relics at first, then with lots of parks, a few wonders, and later with the policies, trade routs etc.
    - Did you instigate any major wars?
    I attacked Gandhi, and after I finished him I was attacked by Harald (for being a warmonger) and France. I made peace with France for a book and destroyed Harald. And then I was attacked by Scythia and Germany (for being a warmonger), a settled with Fred for a couple of cities, and destroyed Scythia.
    - Were City-States helpful?
    Yes. A lot because of bonuses and by keeping the enemies occupied in war (my army was ratter small). By the end I was suzerain of most.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Lots of goody huts. I think for some reason AI didn't bother with them, for I got lots and lots, and with this several research bonuses.
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    I did! As always. Keep coming back here for more. By I'm pretty comfortable playing King, still struggle to win on Emperor (except by domination).

Attached Files:

Victoria likes this.
  19. Victoria

No need to bang your head, Full respect to you.

guslaet likes this.
  20. arthur486

arthur486 Chieftain

CV @ 188 (invalid due to a reload)

I tried the seaside resort strategy this time, combined with some aggressive expansion. I took out Gandhi completely (he had 2 cities) then went for Norway and Scythia. Finished by attacking France and Russia, the empires with most domestic tourists. Like @JoZilla, I too went attacking the wrong way :). I chopped CR to help victory, as I did not really have any decent production cities. Could have ended the game sooner by focusing purely on science, I also built (too) many theater squares.

Attached Files: