1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 26 Opening Actions thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 26 Opening Actions thread.
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
    - Where did you settle your city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Photi

Photi Governor

Where did you settle your city?

Settled in place. In retrospect, still convinced it was the right move despite not being that great of a tile to settle.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

For science, i got the essentials out of the way, plus i made the effort for irrigation so i could bring in the silk to trade (Gandhi ended up giving me 140g +1 gpt for it which allowed me to buy a settler).

After that i beelined Printing, which i just now researched on T100. Will be heading to Radio next.

For Civics, my goal was to go straight to Drama & Poetry, but along the way i talked myself into the Mysticism detour so i could go for the Oracle, only to then realize there was no place suitable in Washington to build it. So i wasted 5 or 6 turns there which may have cost me earning the first Great Writer.

I am now on my way to Natural History for the Civics.

What was your build order?

Even on T1 after Washington was settled, it seemed very likely this was an Island Plates map, as you could see the all the coast hidden in the fog. So a scout was out of the question. I then went back and forth on trying to decide over monument or builder, but in the end i really wanted to get to D&P asap, so i chose to build a monument first. As it turns out, there were no culture city states nearby for a potential in extra culture, so i stand by my decision to go with monument first, then builder, then settler. If not for the Mysticism detour, i may have got the first Great writer, but Russia did. I have gotten every one since though.

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

I laid down a Campus in the capital first, but actually built the Theater Square before the Campus. I built Theater Squares in all my cities as soon as i could.

How did you place your districts?

In a convenient spot next to the city. I didn't want to waste any money buying tiles, as there was no plan to build many Commercial Hubs if any at all.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Yes, as much as i could. I bought my first settler, captured my second from Gandhi, and built the third, all within a span of 5-6 turns. Gandhi made it too easy to DOW, so i did, and now he's gone. I captured Delhi and settled another city soon after that, and have now settled a 7th city up in the north of Delhi for more luxes plus the iron.

How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

First for the Pantheon, then mainly +1 production and additional GW points.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

I've met 11 so far, only very recently in the T90s have i met the cultural ones. I feel like i am playing a sloppy envoy game, the quests were out of my way so mostly i have ignored those quests.

Were your neighbors peaceful?

Yes. I took Gandhi out, but it wasn't his fault we spawned on such a small landmass. Accomplished that prior to meeting anyone else, so i don't think i have suffered any negative effects from it. I currently know Tomyris, Peter, Catherine, Trajan, Frederick and Harold, maybe that's all on the map. Declared Friends with T, T, and H. Neutral with C, F, and P.

How were the Barbarians?

Pretty tame.

Any surprises?

I know there was some talk on these boards for GOTM about the broken deal making after the July patch, and don't know where the current rules lie. So possibly my game won't count, as i have been making deals right and left for my luxes for not exploitative amounts, and also bought one great work of writing off Peter. But he charged me up the yin for it (389g +16gpt for one book!), so it appears the deal making is fixed?

Other than that, i am happy with the game so far. Mysticism set me back 5-6 turns, but oh well. I also detoured to Shipbuilding on my way to Printing because it looked like i was going to send a settler to the island to the SE, but then after seeing it was only two cocoa and not much else, i decided not to settle it. It may have been worth it, as there is lots to chop there and i am quickly running out of slots for my great writers.

Pictures from the Realm:

Spoiler Manifest Destiny :
    20171102125043_1.jpg 20171102124951_1.jpg 20171102125018_1.jpg 20171102125325_1.jpg 20171102134126_1.jpg

3. Photi

Photi Governor

on the exploiting the AI for deal making, these offers are available to me:

exploit 1.jpg exploit 3.jpg exploit 2.jpg

hard to know what is an exploit. on the one hand, i did buy a great work of writing for 869 gold (gold + gpt), and Trajan's offer is to buy a piece of art for a little over 1200, but obviously the art is worth less than the writing. and not only will peter give me a great work of writing for my art, but also all his gold! so obviously the deal making is not completely fixed, which is frustrating because that's a fun part of the game. so i will refrain from making these deals as they do seem an exploit.

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Spoiler :

I am not going to spoil anyone's game, because I have started playing. All I can say is great map!

Moderator Action: Moved to Opening Actions thread. Once you open the save, you are not allowed to post in the Announcement thread for fear of spoilers. leif

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2017
    Photi likes this.
  5. antimony

antimony Chieftain

General thoughts

Cool map, so many natural wonders! Given those and the amount of coastline, a national park and seaside resort strategy seems great. Goddess of the Harvest would be really good here, but it was picked quite early by the AI. I took God of the Open Sky given the abundant pastures. Therefore, I'm mostly giving up on parks and going all in on science for resorts + Eiffel and/or Cristo.

I have harvested most of the wood and stone within my current borders for settlers and districts, so where to find 2100 cogs for Cristo and Eiffel? One option is the spot north of Geneva which is full of woods and rainforest. 2nd wonder might need to be half chopped and half built. Perhaps Boston is a good spot with hills and forest hills right outside its current borders.

Anyway, limiting factor seems to be science right now. Gold is plentiful and will provide some flexibility to get more builders and buy units/buildings for key eurekas.

- Where did you settle your city?
    Washington in place. 2nd city (New York) on the river NW to stage conquest of Delhi.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Research: Animal Husbandry and Mining for improvements, Archery, then focus on Writing and Currency to get districts placed early.
    Civics: Usual order, I got most of the Eurekas to PolPhi, but not Foreign Trade of course.

- What was your build order?
    Builder, settler, then 6 archers in first two cities. Also bought a trader to get free Lisbon envoy and more gold.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    I placed districts as soon as available, but only starting building them after settling the whole island (so start around Turn 70). At T101 I have 6 campuses with 3 more on the way, 3 CH, 2 Harbors (for Eurekas) and Holy Site (Jerusalem).

- How did you place your districts?
    I have a CC-CH-Harbor river triangle in capital, but did not place the campuses very strategically. Not many mountains anyway...

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    2 captured from India + Jerusalem, 8 settled (7 on home island, 1 next to Crater Lake)

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Kept +1 production all the time. Ilkum + Serfdom for obligatory Feudalism building wave. Also used the +100% ship overflow trick to accelerate districts. (Galleys will serve for Exploration eurekas plus secured friendship with Harald.)

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    Met 10 so far. Suzerain of Geneva and Seoul with 3 envoys each. Many other CS with 2 envoys thanks to quests + first envoy counts as 2 policy.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?

I conquered Gandhi before meeting the others, so diplomacy has been good. 3 friends, 3 neutral. I'm friend with both Fred and Trajan despite them being at war with each other, so we'll see how long that lasts.

- How were the Barbarians?

Not much trouble, I still get one in the tundra once in a while, I'd take the gold rather than fog bust.

- Any surprises?
    As said above, the amount of natural wonders. Also, quite a lot of tundra. Is this a cold / wet / few hills map?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  6. Khalid

Khalid Chieftain

Settled in place.

Mining, Irrigation, Archery, Sailing. Civics: Craftmanship, Foreing trade, Early Empire, Pol Philo, Drama.

Had the impression from the coast that I am on an Island, so builder, settler, 4 slingers (archers), 2 galleys. No early monument given the Silk.

Campus, got a Holy Site in Delhi. Building harbors and cultural districts.

Some very good spots for harbors next to my cities. Other than that next to each other.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Wiped India (2 cities), settled 5 myself. Tundra remains empty. Not settled other islands yet.

+1 production all the time. +5 against barbs, then Agoge for slingers, naval policy for galleys. Took republic with Ilkum and Colonization. Swapped the diplo policies to take most advantage. Once managed to discover a new city state with the 2 envoys policy.

Met 10, have anvouys in 7, no suzerian.

Were your neighbors and Barbs peaceful?
    Gandhi sent me a trade route - I left it to finish the road and then attacked him. Barbs were a piece of cake with the +5/+5 vs barbs modifiers.

Any surprises?
    Natural wonders and a perfect location for Delhi and a second city for the culture.
    I will get the second prophet with the HS in Delhi - no one goes for it. Took stone circles pantheon.

Spoiler :

From the SW point near the two whales you can see the second continent. Pity I did not get the Inspiration for that.

7. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

First game of the month for me, let's see how it goes. Will try to focus on culture output, not very experienced with cultural victory though.

In place
    Research: Archery for early archer rush on Ghandi, Celestial Navigation for building harbours, shipbuilding for scouting the map
    Policies: Focus on Political Philosophy, afterwards Exploration
    Scout, Builder, Slinger, Slinger, Settler, Slinger Slinger, Warrior, Districts
    Prioritized on Harbours and Theater Squares, probably should have gone for Campus instead
    Nothing special, tried to get some adjacency bonus
    T101: Captures 2 cities from Ghandi, Lisbon and Jerusalem (should have spared Lisbon and Suzerain it instead), built 5 cities so far, will try to build more now
    Most of the time Urban Planning for production, Insulae for housing, Charismatic leader for envoys and Literary tradition for Great Writer points
    Met in this order: Lisbon, Jerusalem, Geneva, Toronto, Seoul, Kumasi, Amsterdam, Bandar Brunei; currently Suzerain of Geneva and Toronto
    Ghandi did not stand a chance, met the others after finishing him; friend with Harald (although I don't have a single ship) and Tomyris, Trajan, Peter and Catherine are friendly towards me, Frederik is neutral
    How were the Barbarians?
    Almost boring
    Any surprises?
    Got a relic out of a trival village, which currently puts me in second place after Harald regarding tourism per turn

Next goals: build more cities and campuses to enforce research

Attached Files:

8. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

In place. It looked a good position for the capital, with much growth potential.

Science: Irrigation first, then Sailing for exploration, and all the way to Currency to create our economy. We wanted a lot of gold. After that utility techs, Shipbuilding to settle other continents, to Construction for some boosts and then Printing, which we got on T93.
    Civics: Foreign Trade, then in fact to Political Philosophy before Drama and Poetry. Straight to Feudalism on T78 and Exploration on T94.

Builder, then Settler. We seemed safe with coast all around us. I timed it so the Settler would be finished right before turning size 4. Of course, this plan had to be amended when India showed up. With their good money for our Silk we could buy our first Settler on T17. Note that this still reduces the size of the city.
    So the capital went: T11 Builder (x3), T17 Settler (320g), T25 Settler, T29 Galley, T33 Galley, T44 Settler, T58 Settler, T63 Monument, T68 Water Mill, T71 Granary, T75 Commercial Hub, T79 Builder (x5), T85 Theater Square, T90 Harbor, T93 Amphitheater, T101 Campus.

Our first district was a Commercial Hub on T53. We made more of those before starting on the Theater Squares. These internal trade routes are powerful.

I bought a few tiles to optimize their location. The four districts in Washington form a diamond north of the city, the Commercial Hubs in Delhi and New York are next to each other on the river, and there is a tile planned for The Great Library with districts around it.

Well, India had to go. We captured their new Settler and Delhi as well with our starting Warrior and two Slingers. They were gone T36 and on the same turn our exploring Galley (one of two) met Germany, with Rome and France standing almost next to them.
    So we built 8 cities and captured 1.
    T1 Washington (in place)
    T23 New York (on the hill facing Delhi)
    T27 Baltimore (on the Coffee for fast cash)
    T33 New Orleans (near the Horses, this was the captured India Settler)
    T36 Delhi (captured, India defeated)
    T47 Charleston (on the coast at the two Whales)
    T59 Philadelphia (Toronto / Hong Kong continent on the Sugar)
    T64 Cincinnati (center of the Cocoa, we bought the third one)
    T65 Buffalo (ne of Delhi for more culture tiles from the Natural Wonder)

Policies: Urban Planning, Maritime Industries for the two Galleys, Colonization. Bought some essential Builders with cash from luxury sales. Later switched to Ilkum and started Builders in all cities when Feudalism appeared on the horizon. Literary Tradition for the Great Writers, because Russia was trying to get them as well (they failed). At T101 we have Limes, Caravanseries, Meritocracy, Merchant Confederation, Literary Tradition, Trade Confederation.

All of them except Brussels, which got captured very early by Scythia. Strangely La Venta (faith) was the first to have 3 envoys, but Bandar Brunei (gold) followed right after. Tried to prioritize those City States that had luxuries, but some less important ones had easier quests. We have Vilnius, Toronto (two luxes!), Jerusalem as well now, and Bandar Brunei at 6 envoys.

Towards us, so far, so good. Gifted them all Open Borders the turn we met, that seemed to help. Germany and Rome hate each other though, and Rome is our friend.

How were the Barbarians?

Cannon fodder for our Archers.

Any surprises?
    At some point we got a relic from a ruins. That was nice.

At T101 no tourists are visiting us yet...