1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 28 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 28 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
    Please attached your victory save to your post.
    - How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you bother with Religion?
    - Did you bother with Culture?
    - How did you pump your Science?
    - Did you instigate any major wars?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. JoZilla

JoZilla Chieftain

SV turn 181 / 1200 AD

I didn't have Australian DLC so I hosted multiplayer game, loaded the save and played from that. I dont think that affects gameplay or at least it felt like normal single player game. Only problem was that AI deals didn't pop up, but they had to be clicked from the icon.

Initially settled 4 cities and settled 1 in the late game. Had 37 cities in the end so I must have captured 32.

At first I was thinking to hurry Great Zimbabwe, but didn't see any really good spot for that. I focused on reaching Rocketry fast, which I did get quite early. The problem was production. It took really long to finish space port as I didn't have really good production city. I also didn't have enough money to buy great scientits at the time of finishing the space port, which also slowed a little.

Thinking back, I perhaps did too many campuses and should have built more commercial districts...

Only to get Divine Spark pantheon, which was good.

I got pretty good culture, but didn't focus hard on that.

Initially just focused on getting big empire by capturing neighbors quickly. After that rushed lots of campuses using the "Monarcy chop ancient walls" - trick.

I managed to steal a settler from Japan, which was nice although it took a while to find a decent spot for the 2nd city. I didn't wipe Japan early because I didn't have enough units yet and Japan wanted peace for some ~5 gold per turn, which I was happy to accept. I build army of 6 swordsmen and 4 archers, which went west. Initially took La Venta and captured Roman empire. Then I split the army: 3 swords and 2 archers to eqypt, 3 swords, 2 archers and general to Sumeria. I slowly captured both empires.

Then got knights and went to China and then to Japan and Scythia.

Yes, especially scientific ones.

Barbarians captured walled Mohendjo Daro from me with swordsmen and a battery ram. Also late game barbarian mechanized infantry from south icy camps started giving me some headache.

I enjoyed the challenge of trying to achieve SV as fast as possible. I constantly thought about what would be best cards and best thing to do during the game, but in the end I know I also screwed up few things. Especially had to wait for finishing the spaceport a long time and also building enough money to buy all scientists using Big Ben.

Attached Files:

3. PontifexMaximus

PontifexMaximus Chieftain

SV turn 232 / 1605 AD

I probably did something wrong, I own all of the DLC and played the DLC version, but Australia didn't appear in my game. Anyway, first time playing with the Aztecs and I think we can all agree they are op af.

Settled 8 (most through stolen settlers), captured 13, so 21 overall.

I rarely do long-term tech planning, I just try to get as many eurekas as possible and then work from there. As for policies, I pursued the ones that give access to governments with more card slots.

Yeah, I took Divine Spark, Papal Primacy, Mosque and Warrior Monks (just to try them out).

It wasn't a focus, but I was still leading in culture because of all the conq..ahem "liberated" cities.

Can someone explain the "Monarchy chop ancient walls" trick?
    Anyway I just built campii everywhere, conquered stuff and allied Stockholm, Geneva and Soul (which got conquered by the Spaniards mid-game).

Stole the initial settler from Japan and finished them off. Tomyris hated me for being a backstabbing sob so I knew she'd attack me sooner or later, so I DoW'd her instead and took all her cities. Then took a break to build up my cities. Later on Gilga and Phillip decided attacking me on the same turn was a good idea. Took all Sumerian cities and made peace with Spain.

Yes, scientific ones plus Brussels and Hong Kong.

I guess I was surprised by just how much Aztecs are op. With a second city settled before turn 10, the rest of the game felt like I was playing on Prince/King.

It's always fun when you return to the game after a couple of months hiatus. I like the concept of dual DLC and non-DLC GotMs, I hope you guys will continue along that path. Cheers!

Attached Files:

4. JoZilla

JoZilla Chieftain

With Monarchy and the "100% production towards defensive buildings policy", you get total of 150% towards building walls. When you chop forest, it finishes the walls and also overflows massively. So much that you can finish usually district in 1 turn. This way you get more out of your chops.

I don't know the details, but assume it gives most when wall is about to finish in 1 turn , so it gives bigger overflow.

I found this idea from some other 6otm thread.

5. ^MeSSiaH^

^MeSSiaH^ Chieftain

JoZilla got it right.
    - With monarchy and card you have +150% (i.e. 2.5 x normal) production for walls
    - You can overflow production (if you chop anything, remaining hammers will decrease the cost of next production chosen)

Little example:
    - Ancient walls cost 80 hammers
    - Assume your chop gives you 60 hammers
    - You can either chop to get 60 for district, or chop for ancient walls and then pick campus. Thos way you get 60+150%*60 = 150. 80 is used for wall, you got 70 for your campus.

This of course seems like a poor gain, but hey - instead of producing the campus in a city which will be chopping campus soon, produce ancient walls until 1 turn to complete. With each turn of ancient walls production you had 2.5 times better production than normal, while the hammers will overflow to capus with next chop anyway.

Another example:
    City has 15 production
    Campus costs 285 hammers
    Total turns to produce with 1 chop = 285 - 60 (chop) = 225 / 15 = 15 turns

With monarchy and card, you start producing ancient walls.
    In 2 turns. you get 15*2.5*2turns = 75 hammers. 5 hammers left to go on walls
    Chop walls will give you 60*2.5 = 150
    So campus will cost you 285 - 145 (150-5 for walls) = 140, which is 9.3 turns.
    Total turns taken to build campus was: 2+9.3 = 11.3, i.e. 12 with small overflow production to next thing.
    Total of 3 full turns better. This doesn't seem like much, but you can expect the chop to be much better than 60 hammers when your capmus is at 285 hammers cost.

6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

I had the same problem as Pontimus Max with Australia not appearing despite the
    fact that I definitely own the DLC.

SV turn 294 / 1846 AD

I could have finished much earlier if I hadn't:
    (a) stupidly forgotten for 80 turns that Aztecs builders can construct districts,
    (b) accidentally clicked Keep City when I liberated Valetta,
    (c) got a bit bored because it was no contest that I would win. Whenever I saw a
    city with wonders in it I decided it was going to be mine.

I had to stop myself from just going for a DV. I could have taken all of the cities easily
    before winning a SV.

Settled 7, captured and kept 25, razed about 8.

Got the Pyramids very early.
    Pumped out a dozen or more Eagle Warriors to stomp the other civs so they were
    never a threat.
    After stomping the other civs, I was able to grab a lot of Great People that
    were very helpful throughout the rest of the game.

No. I was generating a lot of faith that I used though.

Yes.

After turn 60ish, once I had stomped the contenders down, I built campuses
    everywhere and pushed out universities asap.

I stole the Japan's settler and kept warring, killing, stealing, and razing like a
    madman.

Very, very much. Preslav and Stockholm were brilliant for me. I kept
    adding envoys to stop other civs from flipping them. I ended up with
    about 18 envoys in each.

No, except how easy it was to knock the others back to the stone age.

For the first 100 turns. Then it became what chess players call "a simple matter
    of technique". I only play on Gedemon's ludicrous-size maps at marathon pace, and
    have had enormous trouble winning against the Aztecs, Kongo or Brazil. I can
    contain two of them, but the other one then slips through on me. Now I know why
    the Aztecs are tough to beat.

The map doesn't show the Spanish cities I took, or quite a few cities I razed.

Thanks for organizing the game, Leif!
    ferocitus_turn294.jpg

Attached Files:

7. guslaet

guslaet Chieftain

Sc.V turn 327, 1907.

Dozens. Litererally.

Whatever was the cheapest.

Yes. Got production and science bonuses. I didn't worry about expanding abroad, though. It also help by giving me attack bonuses (via policy card).

Not really.

By conquering others.

I conquered everyone else, except Sumeria.

Yes. Especially in late game.

The fact that I had lots of luxuries at my disposal and the nice attack bonus it gives. It allowed me to win wars against stronger opponents. (I even got the 16 attack bonus achievement.)

Yes!

Attached Files:

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

9. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

The inclusion of Australia DLC was a mistake, the civ is not in game, I thought I had disabled it but didn't.