1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] 6otM 34 After Actions Report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 34 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you bother with Religion?

- How did you pump your Culture?

- Did you instigate any major wars?

- Were City-States helpful?

- How did the new features help you?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. caeru71

caeru71 Chieftain

1901 Culture victory. Settled in place, didn't found a religion, conquered France. Score 1195. Thanks for the game.

Attached Files:

3. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

Culture Victory turn 281, score 1796

I wiped out Russia and Sumeria and left Netherlands with 1 city. I had alliances with America, France and Greece for quite a while. I built many wonders, several art and archeological museums. I founded a religion I called, "The Horde" with Jesuit Education so I could faith buy most of the culture buildings. I mainly used my spies to kill the AI's envoys in several CSs.

Mistakes I made was not wiping out most of the AI early on and not expanding enough in the early game.

Attached Files:

4. Chueli

Chueli Chieftain

CV turn 179, Score 1889

Settled on the closest wonder tile. Built an archer and warrior army and started conquering France, then Netherlands and Yerevan along the way, with swordsmen. Upgraded heavy chariots to knights and continued conquering, sometimes taking a city with two knights in one turn. Could have conquered Washington turn 120 for a domination victory, but left it alive as the only AI city. Continued building lots of wonders and theater squares. Chop chop chop chop with Magnus. It took a while for tourism to take off, got there eventually with computers and all the great works from all the great people.

Attached Files:

5. Smiglo

Smiglo Chieftain

Culture Victory turn 394, score 1886

Everything with culture :D
    No, i was to late
    Create big people
    Yes, with France
    Not really, blocked me
    Gold age gift me many bonus
    France was close to me, and i have conquer this.
    Yes! Nice game!

Thanks for game

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  6. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

CV turn 138

This was a combination of culture victory by conquest and recruiting great writers + wonder spamming.

Thanks for the game.

Attached Files:

7. Roe Vernon

Roe Vernon Chieftain

I had just won previously Playing Genghis on King (Culture), however I did enjoy this scenario. As to the questions:
    - How many cities did you settle or capture? Founded 12 captured 36

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Culture, culture, culture and then a little science

- Did you bother with Religion? Yes Founded a religion - Confucianism

- How did you pump your Culture? Well I started early built lots of theaters and kept improving them. Also my capital I built

- Did you instigate any major wars? Yes France they had to go. The rest of the Time I just drove the point home to my enemies not to declare war lightly with the Mongol horde.

- Were City-States helpful? Very, I used the Suzarian Policies to bump my culture.

- How did the new features help you? Absolutely my style of play works much better with rise and fall. I've completed three games now and had scores of 2.5k x2 and 3.6k once

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? I destroyed a lot more cities than normal because I knew I could not hold them

- Did you enjoy the game? Very much so.

Had a great time thanks!

Attached Files:

8. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

"Accidentally" did Domination victory.

If I had to do it again I would have razed all cities and pillaged (but not take) capitals and tried some relic spam.

9. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

I did the Wipe Up France + Netherlands/Settler spam my third of the continent game, which took into the mid 250s. Then I saw other people's times and went back and did a rolling war game that ended in the 150s. I guess we are back to every game is fastest if it starts as a Domination game. Please someone else find a strategy comparable to Magnus-Dom!

Attached Files:

10. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

This is the non-spoiler thread so I will be vague. In my second run-through I took a capitol, an Emergency was declared to reclaim that capitol, only the Civ whose capitol it was joined in against me and because of the Emergency they wouldn't accept a peace deal until almost the very end of the 30 Turns. And then I got 800 gp for defending the capitol that I captured.

Moderator Action: Moved this post to the After Action thread. The general rule is that once you open a save, you are no longer allowed to post in the Announcement thread. This guarantees that no spoilers will work their way in there. Thanks, leif

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
  11. Koot Katmandu

Koot Katmandu Chieftain

CV 1903 Turn 324 Score 1202

I ended up with 13 cities. I took three from France early .

After my initial exploring, I thought I had room to form some cities and take out France with knight or the UU. However, she forward settled near my capital when I only had two cities. So I tried an archer rush to take her out. Ended up loosing most of my archers taking Paris. It was in the middle of forest. I switched to chariots and finished her off. Then just built up the cities I had. No more wars.

No. I did build one holy site and Paris had another. Came in handy for buying setters early and great people later.

I made a lot of theater districts, 2 national parks the cliffs and Mt Romania and dozen or so wonders.

Only France. I declared on her early

Not really

The Gov Reyna was great for tourist and Magus was great for chopping wonders.

France forward settling me early when she had lots of room to grow else where. I declared war and eliminated her.
    Gorgo was really strong in culture even though I had a lot more cities. I use spies to steal her works and Americas too.

Yes I did very much. Thank you for working on the games.

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Turn 160 CV

I think this is my fastest cultural victory to date. Mongols are great fun and may be the best R&F civ.

How many cities did you settle or capture?
    I only settled 5 cities and captured 15. My early strategy involved building an encampment ASAP + Magnus to chop an Ordu and then straight to horsemen. I only built one other city in the first 50 turns and immediately rushed France as soon as my first horseman was built.

What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Straight to Printing after Horseback Riding. Went all out culture policies. I ran the Raid card and pillaged a lot of Sumerian improvements to get to Printing quickly.

Did you bother with Religion?
    Yeah but it was kind of a fruitless detour. I wanted to secure Reliquaries in case Kandy was nearby but no such luck. Paris had the Holy site already built and I ran the + Prophet card and chopped a few prayers. I probably should have just skipped it.

How did you pump your Culture?
    Took Divine Spark pantheon for extra Great Writer points, built a ton of theater districts, and hoarded great writers. Added some arch museums towards the end and an art museum.

Did you instigate any major wars?
    Yes - I wiped out France, Sumeria, and Greece. Captured some War Carts along the way. I left everyone else alone though might have had a faster victory if I took out the Dutch as well - I had a short window where I think I could have won with 15 tourists.

Were City-States helpful?
    Very helpful - especially the science CS that gives extra science for each great work. I liberated Nan Madol from Greece and pumped 6 envoys there for extra culture.

How did the new features help you?
    Magnus for chopping theater districts and wonders. I had a bunch of Governor promotions and Reyna really helped with money so I could purchase some archaelogists. Had a perma golden age and just picked the extra culture bonus the entire game.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Not really. There was an early emergency when the Netherlands captured Kabul which I liberated a few turns later. I saved most of the money for purchasing archaelogists.

Did you enjoy the game?
    Yep was a quick one - thanks for the Pangea!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  13. Formersd

Formersd Chieftain

Turn 306, Culture Victory

Settled 4, captured 14.

Military early, culture mid-game, tourism late game.

Yes, for Choral Music and Lay Ministry, both with added lots of culture. Also had God of the Open Sky.

The religion benefits and then lots of theatre districts. Also used Pingala.

Yes, France forward settled me, so she had to go. Later took about half of the Dutch empire to teach her a lesson when she attacked.

Moderately so.

Governor Reyna has crazy tourism benefits, so I consolidated lots of great works into the capital to leverage that ability.

Nothing reallly.

Yes.​

Attached Files:

14. rfa

rfa Chieftain

1974 - Turn 396

Settled 11, captured 0

followed eureka & city state requests, prioritising wealth

no

once got to atomic age just focused on culture

went to war with Wilhelmina twice, was ready to wipe her cities off the map but 150 gold/ turn is too good turn down

research suzerian bonuses were

can't compare, as haven't finished any civ 6 games until now. Governors were good

Wilhelmina being so unfriendly

yes!

Thanks for the game, this was the 1st game I've finished since Civ Vi came out. Hopefully it won't be as long until I finish my next.​

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  15. whacker

whacker Chieftain

T121 CV

Settled one early city, conquered every capital except Madrid and some other cities.

Horseback riding->printing

I eventually got a religion with conquered holy sites, but it did not matter.

Theater squares and great writers. I also built the Oracle+Pingala to get every classical and medieval great writer.

I crippled everyone except Spain and destroyed Gorgo. Teddy lost hist last city to loyalty pressure.

Kabul for unit exp and Babylon for science from great writers.

The Oracle+Pingala combination is awesome, Magnus for army and wonders. Loyalty actually is a bad thing when trying to keep every AI at one city, but only Teddy died to pressure.

No, smooth sailing :)

Yes, although the Mongol horde did not find a challenge spreading their words from the back of their horses.:hammer:
    Thanks for your efforts keeping those Gotm`s up, i really appreciate your work!

Attached Files:

whylom likes this.
  16. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

CV 265. Annihilated France quite early, later took most of Netherlands and in the end Greece just to quicken the end. It seems getting a fast win without major warring is quite impossible, which makes it quite boring. I got probably more than 50 cultural GP in the game and almost all cultural wonders, but it did not help much.

Attached Files:

17. lordofcivs

lordofcivs Lord of The Civilizations

Turn 304 - Score 1758.
    [Too late, I know. But I'm not a regular player. So still good for me I think. ;) ]

Settled only one early, and then captured the two cities of France. Continued from there and kept settling.

Mostly went with Eureka's for faster research. But early on the focus was on settlers and workers, so had focus on that. Also took Horseback riding so that I can take benefit of Mangolia's major benefit in war.

Went for Stonehenge directly in my first city and found religion there.

Went for most of the wonders. 4 of my cities were wonders farming, and other cities also had wonders. However, finishing the game became too difficult and this is where I probably wasted too much of my time. Shouldn't have tried peace strategy. But when I did, I needed to pump too many of Theatre Buildings.

Only went major war with Gorgo. Then took only one city from Peter. It was when I felt the game would be easy finish, and stopped fighting and started peacfully building the culture. However, it went wrong and took too much of my game time to finish it.

Yes. They were early game.

Probably this is where I lacked most. I had played only one game with these new features and didn't know much about good combinations (especially the chopping thing with Magnus I realized too late). Though I took Oracle and had taken Pingala's talent of 100% GP's.

Nothing to be said. Just little disappointment from self that I could have finished the game about 60 or 70 turns ago if had not gone for peaceful strategy. Culture victory here was lot different than it used to be in Civilization IV, as other civ's tourism was also building up constantly.

Yes. It was very fun. I didn't like and play Civilization 5 much, and never participated in Gotm for that. However, Civilzation VI I found good and I finished only 2 games previously, one in vanilla and another in Rise and Fall. So tried Gotm, and really liked it. Would be participating more in coming months.

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  18. ThomCNTV

ThomCNTV Chieftain

culture Victory T 211

My strategy was to conquer everything while producing relics, but failed because Spain produced no religious unity. So I changed in half the way to build walls in all cities and some national parks. That was enough.

Mongolia is very strong, I hope to play again on a more difficult level

Thanks for game

Attached Files:

19. andr3ytp

andr3ytp Chieftain

Culture Victory 186

40 Cities total ( around half capture / half settle ) didn't bother to steal settlers (only 3 or 4).

Culture increase ones

Yes helpt a lot to buy builders / settler / traders ( wanted to get culture with religion but got only 1 marthyr ) also used godess of harvest, lot of faith for chops.

Theatre square and wonders

I went for france early to get settler, then Gilgamesh to expand, next Netherlands bc settler the wrong place. Rest they declare war on me and took Russia and some cities from America

Science ones, didn't had to build many campuses. The culture one also, could settle where I wanted.

Magnus FTW

Nice woders close by.

Yep, but wanted to finish faster with relics, but the AI barely spawned some religious units.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  20. Khalid

Khalid Chieftain

Culture victory T163. Score 813.

I originally planned to go for a peaceful game as the military way seemed too easy. But did not resisted a free settler from France. So changed to a semi-peaceful game. Took Paris and left France with 1 city. Later wiped out Gorgo, who was getting culture which prompted victory 2 turns later.

Settled 8, captured 1 initially, later captured 7 from Greece to wipe them out.

priority was political philosophy, drama and poetry, natural history. On research astrology, printing.

Yes, initially I planned a relic oriented game as I found one in the second goody hut. Got goddess of harvest, reliquiaries, cheap apostles and missionaries. But managed to only get one additional relic and only very late. It was pretty hard to get my apostles killed by the Dutch and Spanish missionaries. Two wounded apostles got killed by barbs :cry: Should have gone Jesuit education instead, would be much more useful.

monuments in each city, early relic with the power up belief, theather squares after monument + amphiteatres. Great writers + printing. Later artifacts (mostly mine and barbs, did not managed a themed museum).

France and then Greece. Otherwise peaceful. Russia and Spain joint warred me, but made peace after 10 turns.

Yes. Did a lot of quests. Allied 4 of them. Yerevan helped to choose the martyr promotion. Babylon with science.

Of course Magnus is king.

Otherwise, it worked rather against me. There was one religios emergency against me, which was only joined by France for converting their holy city. later on the French city flipped twice due to my pressure. They were so behind that I couldn't have signed a cultural alliance with them. Had to twice defeat and liberate the free city to keep their tourists.

Lack of chopping :D But once I took Paris and settled the jungle to the north, there was well enough for Magnus to do.
    Lack of religious units by the AI.
    Waiting with chopping Stonehenge until Magnus is online. Got beaten to it by 2 turns.

Yes, very much. I liked the close natural wonders, which I both settled. And I liked the lack of early chopping.

Attached Files: