1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 38 opening actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, May 1, 2018.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 38 Opening Actions thread.
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
    - Where did you settle your city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. cas

cas Emperor

T105 (58spt/91cpt/37fpt/54gpt)
    My timing was off from the start on research and builds. It all snowballs and I'm ~25 turns behind where I should be. :thumbsdown: No chance at a good finish date. No chance of losing either since it is emperor and watery map.

- techs: Settled on the sheep. Mining->sailing. Should have gone sailing->mining. Worker was sitting for ~5 turns. Would have 'discovered' a new continent in the water 2-3 hex north and saved time on foreign trade. I'm roughly half-way through medieval techs and into renaissance culture.
    - builds: scout-worker-settler/galley-slinger-slinger/galleys. Settler got pinned in the capital at least 6 turns from barbs. 4 galleys total, which I think is good since I was able to meet everyone and map 70% by T105 except 1 CS. Late Government Center because I didn't plan my districts well on the first two cities...really hurt not getting free workers for some of my cities with the earlier ancestral hall.
    - barbs were not really a threat, but they did slow me down quite a bit in the first 30 turns.
    - 14 cities. 11 built, 2 Zulu captured, 1 CS captured (Kabul). 2 located off starting continent. Zulu went to war against Kabul and I blocked one of the access tiles. Then I snagged it ~15 turns later with a warrior/archer combo when Shaka did enough damage. Taking Shaka remaining two cities in the next few turns. Also landing on Chandra continent with ~6 knights soon...should be able to make quick work of him and take 6 of 7 cities.
    - Religion: goddess of harvest pantheon, founded 3rd or 4th religion. buy science/theater buildings with faith and +1 envoy at CS when converting. Then 30% cheaper missionaries/apostles and mosque. I haven't spread the religion much yet, just a couple of cities. Using the faith for workers/settlers.
    - Ages: Golden age classical (worker/settler faith purchase). 6 turns from Medieval at T105 and I will have another golden age.
    - wonders: just pyramids so far. later than I like.

Fun game. I like water maps every so often. Seowons are pretty good. Just annoyed with my slow start.

cas

Victoria and LobstaBoy like this.
  3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I did not bother posting here, just went straight through the game but I went mining sailing and it worked fine (with some swapping) but I went worker/settler/settler/worker/slinger x3/ warriorx2/galleys. That second settler slipped out of the cap before barbs arrived and slings were in good solid ground for a home fight. Shaka then was going for Valetta so I went to 3 swords. I took Valetta, not sure it was best but my faith was not high enough early to benefit from it.
    I also took Oracle early, with Pingala it helps a lot. Coliseum ofc, culture is just too good let alone amenities.
    First Governor?.... Amani, Nan madol. 3 cities on coast/lake alone = 6 culture. No brainer.
    I think I went Medieval at T97.
    it is a great map though
    I seriously messed up at the end, forgot about Royal society chops.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  4. rfa

rfa Chieftain

I'm around turn 150 & the Spring Update is downloading. Do I just keep going or start over?

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

6. MrDoubleG

MrDoubleG Chieftain

Hi Victoria,

as a real newby to that level games, I have a few questions...

What do you mean by swapping? Swapping between Mining and Sailing?

Is it correct to assume you used the worker for the stone and to chop the forest towards the first settler? What about the third charge - wait for sailing and get the pearls?
    Did you get the inspirations from the 3 tile upgrades and the second continent by waiting for the second worker and first galley? To me this seems somewhat late...

Did you get the Goddess of the Harvest? If so, I assume by choosing the gold/faith card?

Sorry if those are kinda simple questions but I have the feeling to always loose momentum right from the beginning and if you could shed some light into how you are choosing your strategy, that would probably help me quite a bit.

Thanks for any hints and keep the post coming, always an inspiration to read them.

7. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

Where did you settle your city? See image.
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Was going for Apprenticeship, but diverted to Military Engineering when I found myself at war with Shaka. He first took Valetta over then settled Hlobane just ahead of one of my settlers, so I declared war on him.
    - What was your build order? Don’t recall exactly. Builder, settler.
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Prioritized Seowons.
    - How did you place your districts? Optimally for Seowons.
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? 8 cities. First went wide with 3 cities, then tall with Seowons.
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities? I forgot to play my +100% campus adjacency card for a few (maybe 10) turns. Shrug.
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Didn’t cultivate any. Plan to build a sea faring vessel in hopes of discovering a blue/science city state.
    - Were your neighbors peaceful? No. Shake invaded Valetta and forward settled in a region that was clearly Korean!
    - How were the Barbarians? Push overs.
    - Any surprises? The logistics of the Valetta campaign were awkward. It took longer than I would have liked. By the time I liberated it, Shaka had enlisted the aid of Kabul (Suzerain) which proceeded to sieged Gongju. I ended up making peace with him for 180 gold, and 60 or so gold a turn. I plan to redeclare on him once I can get an armory I have plans for in Gyeonju up and running. Shrug. Who knows? The gold per turn is sure nice!
    Spoiler :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 5_26_2018 5_16_25 PM.png

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It was more the civic swapping, if I remember correctly I just squeezed in foreign trade
    On island maps you will find expending 2 charges and then going exploring is or great value for a builder. For a start you get more first mets with city states and you also can land and pick up goody huts. My builder circumnavigated :) I do try and do this and with monumentality your builders go faster than your ships!
    I goit it but do not use the card, my warrior went left and down, my first settler took a risk and went down and right looking for some good coast and got a relic.
    I (used to) play england a lot but mainly on continents, I find island maps too easy to win and island plates has too much shallow water. it is alwasy worth getting that first builder out there even if sometimes it does not pay off. I sent my builder right purely because I had a CS to my left, finding Mohen was really what made the game so fast. So the strategy should be to get 2-3 galleys and 4-6 quads, these quads will turn to frigates and are enough to conquer the world. There is normally room before then to either spread or attack something and with Shaka/Kabul it was interesting. I really needed the CS for the coliseum and also for swapping tiles for chopping. If you have great chopping tiles between 2 cities you have more flexibility. Chop a lot, learn to chop well, this is my best advice.
    The beginning can always feel slow. The key time in the game is around T60-100, its during this times you should be doing a lot of planning and changing... chopping around feudalism is important ... but its about balancing your chopping with your needs. Early can give you a good boost but maybe not enough and leave you a little short later, takes some practice.
    Havn't been playing or near the forum for a while, I really just want to uninstall because they have nerfed England so badly I am very bitter. Long weekend here so messed with GOTM 39.