6otM 40 After Actions Report.

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 40 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you bother with Science?
- How did you pump your Religion?
- Did you instigate any major wars?
- Were City-States helpful?
- How did the new features help you?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

RV T111
Played in one sitting, did not bother researching pottery
Spoiler :

Yerevan and Jerusalem next door on prince, just too easy... did not need the wonders I bothered building, it was much more about the faith from the chop. Rush temples, faith chop, keep in control of yerevan, game over. An efficient game will get below 100. Only real thing I did wrong was not build harbours fast enough/send apostles to far far away initially.

best thing I found using Tamar was my archers moved extra on hills... not that it meant much this game.

The first GOTM when I must answer no to enjoying the game, sorry
I took a settler off monty as my only violence, did not really need it. 3 cities will win this in roughly the same time.
built 5 holy sites, 2 theater districts, 1.9 harbours. did not care what I built, was all about the chop again. Probably 3 holy sites and 4-5 theater districts would have been better as it would have made a stronger chop.

upload_2018-6-2_3-5-7.png

Attachments

• TAMAR 111 125 BC - post victory.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Turn 150 --- Secured the continent.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 6_1_2018 7_20_38 PM.png

Turn 184 --- Wiped out all the other civs who had founded a religion.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 6_1_2018 9_08_17 PM.png

Turn 191 --- BARKALOS!!! (our deity) who? No active religions left on the board.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 6_1_2018 9_42_08 PM.png

Turn 192 --- Activate Great prophet, create Apostles, convert the last Korean city on turn 193 to BARKALOS!!!
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 6_1_2018 9_40_10 PM.png

*Thanks for the incentive to give this a try. I always wanted to see how this would work out, but never really got quite around to it.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 6_1_2018 9_26_54 PM.png

EDIT: Forgot to answer the questions...

- How many cities did you settle or capture? All of them except one.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Campus districts, then Theatre Districts, then Commercial Districts, then a couple of homemade 3 building encampments for making knight/tank armies, then Holy Sites for the endgame when I activate my Great Prophet.
- Did you bother with Science? Yes and YES.
- How did you pump your Religion? At the end I activated my Great Prophet, converted all the cities expect the Korean capital. Created 5 Apostles. One to declare an Inquisition, 2 Proselytizers, and 2 Translators (Yerevan). I moved my military units to surround Gyeongju so to be sure my religious units weren’t condemned as heretics, then expended 1 charge from each to finish the game. That’s the extent of the pumping.
- Did you instigate any major wars? Conquered every city on the board but 1 and declared every war I was involved in.
- Were City-States helpful? As usual, yes.
- How did the new features help you? n/a.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? None.
- Did you enjoy the game? It was fun trying something I had never done before with a Great Prophet.

Attachments

• TAMAR 191 1300 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 137
  • TAMAR 193 1320 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
*Thanks for the incentive to give this a try. I always wanted to see how this would work out, but never really got quite around to it.
Playing something new is quite refreshing, I'm jealous. But I've been violent for a while now, so gonna chill more. To be fair now they have fixed the defender getting surprise penalties I may go back to the responsive style like I did on this game... its just religion with Yerevan is like going to school having already passed the exams.
Activate Great prophet, create Apostles, convert the last Korean city on turn 193 to BARKALOS!!!
Monty did this to me! I converted all his cities but he had a great prophet lurking around. In this situation Monty activated it at about T105 just as I was about to finish China... probably luck rather than the Ai being cunning.

To be fair now they have fixed the defender getting surprise penalties I may go back to the responsive style like I did on this game... its just religion with Yerevan is like going to school having already passed the exams.
I have noticed that you tend to pack quite a bit of information into small spaces, if you know enough to understand what's being said; However, being new I'm not all that sure what the defender surprise penalties are. If you'd care to share more?

Monty did this to me! I converted all his cities but he had a great prophet lurking around. In this situation Monty activated it at about T105 just as I was about to finish China... probably luck rather than the Ai being cunning.
Sometimes I assign the AI a malignant intelligence of sorts. But I think you're right. Probably luck more than cunning :lol:.

defender surprise penalties are.
Someone declares a formal war on you in classical times, they get 6 warmonger points and half that for any city they take (3 warmonger per city). As a defender it used to be that you always got surprise penalties. A surprise war is 1.5* a normal war so taking a city for you would be 6*1.5/2 = 4.5 or 4 warmonger points for taking a city off them. It does not sound like a lot but for industrial or later they get 12 WM for taking one of your cities amd you get 18 WM for taking one of theirs. A bit rough and they appear to have fixed this.

Religious Victory turn 172 score 726

I didn't explore enough nor get the apostles out into the water soon enough.

Attachments

• 6otm40 Religious Vic Score 726.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
I didn't explore enough nor get the apostles out into the water soon enough.
It’s worth a one charge builder on the waves early, the odd first meet CS, village huts, era points for meeting civs and circumnavigation are all jolly good general benefits but finding a route to all CS early and working out where the religions lie (religions always lie apart from victorious) are important, many maps do not need cartography which is a shame in a way.

RV, Turn 151

I was quite lucky this time, since Seondeok elimitated China and Gilgamesh took Harald out of the game. So after conquering my continent, there were only 3 Civs (and one city of Montezuma) left to convert.

Stragety: This time I went for the violent approach, which in the end would not have been necessary. Took Valletta with ealry archer rush. Next, with support of swordsmen, wiping Japan was a 10 turner. Montezuma was nice enough to declare war on Jerusalem, so I could take advantage of a protectoration war. Chopped the Oracle and Kilwa, enjoyed the pantheon harvest faith bonus, was most of the time Suzerain of all city stages on my continent, focussed on holy sites.

Room for improvement: Should have build harbours ealier. and set sails with my apostles.

Although this game was not that big of a challenge, I still enjoyed it as a good opportunity, to discover Tamars / Georgias abilities. Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• TAMAR 151 800 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 147
Room for improvement: Should have build harbours ealier. and set sails with my apostles
Harbours not required, once you have sailing then send off 1-2 one charge builders to find any shallow water routes to all civs while you get enough faith ... then you just need shipbuilding.
It’s often faster to convert the furthest first... but sendeok killing Qin was a bonus for you.

RV T117 25AD

5. Settled 3 core cities, capital next to the two gems at the lake, second on the east coast enxt to the natural wonder, third one turn after second in between next to the two furs. Built one more on the west coast for a second harbour and got Teayo from Monty due to loyalty - both were more or less useless, except for the harbour----maybe.

astrology, bronze working, ship techs. Theology.

Definetly. Got two campi up relatively early, it was useful for getting naval stuff.

Harvest Belief, Feed the World, Mosques, Pilgrimage, Missionary Zeal. Built an early Stonehenge, later on the Mahabodi for enhancement.

Monty trolled me somehow, but it was only annoying.

+2 prod on stonehenge, +4 prod for units, +4faith with Yerevan and Jerusalem, all early and for free - ridiculous.

Used Magnus chops with harvest belief.

That it was possible to reach all players without ocean crossing, could have spared quite some time...

Sorry to say that, but not really. In general i don´t like religious victories, nor georgia. with some focus a sub 100 turn victory is easily achievable here. also, i overestimated prince difficulty.

Attachments

• TAMAR 117 25 AD RelVict.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Tried a tactic that works better on higher difficulty levels. It also helps to have more of the City-States mingled in with the other Civs. I was so sad when I saw Spain only had one CS neighbor (2-ish, if you include Jerusalem) and the other continent just had a smattering. I got my second city out then Stonehenge to try to do Site-less RV. +200 pressure per Envoy then you can convert cities from across the map by doing quests and placing Envoys. Liberate a City-State and you can get 600, 1200, 1800 instant pressure from the gratitude Envoys. But nobody captured any City-States! Well, Monty captured Antioch real early but no one else did. Tried capturing China, converting Babylon and Stockholm, then using the pressure + trade routes to convert China so I could make domestic Apostles but they just wouldn't convert! So swimming Apostles it is.

Wiped out Japan, Aztecs, China and Spain. Got my Tamar All City States achievement.

Turn 176

Attachments

• TAMAR 176 GotM 401150 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
Turn 199
[Not uploading my file as I don't qualify for the competition due to reloading. Though sharing experience for fun.]

Settled 6. Captured 8. 1 raised. 1 liberated.

Main focus was on religion related researches and policies. Though other techs were also being researched.

Built 2 Campuses.

Had Got of Harvest Pantheon. Religion found that provided cheaper Apostles. Took Mosques that gave extra charge to them. Also built Holy Sites in all the cities. Built all religion specific wonders too.

Aztec declared ward, so finished him off early. Japan wanted to take my beloved Valleta. So finished him off too.

Very helpful. Became Suzerain of all except 2 very quickly.

Nothing special to be worth noticing.

A surprising/funny reaction I received when I saw a city state having a settler, which they had kept in their city center.

Yes. Had never went for a religion victory before. I know there are better ways to play this, and proper usage of city states in this game could have made big difference. But overall it was fun.

Thank you.

Last edited:
RV T111

built 5 holy sites, 2 theater districts, 1.9 harbours. did not care what I built, was all about the chop again. Probably 3 holy sites and 4-5 theater districts would have been better as it would have made a stronger chop.

How does having more theater squares help in stronger chop?

How does having more theater squares help in stronger chop?
Strength of chop depends on the progress of either science or culture, whichever has progressed more. I pushed culture as it was key to get to apostles earlier as well and that is on the timeline to victory, science is not.
The only threat was Aztec and they had a settler with no guard early so I took it and shot their few warriors to death then took good money off them for peace which helped buy monuments. Once you have beaten up a civ once they are normally no longer feisty.
Hence, no requirement for pottery... Commercial hubs are equallly useless, you do not even need their inspirations.

Thanks for the information. I'm pretty new to Civilization VI, and learning a lot from the guides at civfanatics (your guides and posts have been very helpful indeed.)

T123 RV

The biggest surprise was getting Cartography from a goodie hut while I was researching it, at about 1/4. Nice indeed.

Otherwise, 2-scout start, Harvest Pantheon + Yerevan + Religious Golden Age + 3-promo Bishop + lots of chops, Magnus optimized. Got Artemis, Oracle and Pyramids.

Completely peaceful. Dual promo Apostles rock.

Attachments

• TAMAR 123 175 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:
T109 RV

Pretty quick game.
Religions founded: China (Stonehenge), Spain, Japan, me, Norway (way late)
Killed Japan with Swords and Archers, converted the rest.
Found the swallow water path pretty late, so faster time is quite possible.

Helpful tricks that helped me in this game:
Sending 1 charge builders in the water to scout early
Looking at where religious pressure comes from to spot city locations in the fog

Weird things that happened in this game:

Stonehenge built by AI (China) T29 (I never play Prince, but that seems early for that level)
Montezuma's agenda triggering despite the fact that I had only Diamonds and had sold him Diamonds just a few turns before (bug?)
Feudalism inspiration not triggered: I was kind of pissed when I wasted 3 of my builder charges to build farms and trigger the Feudalism inspiration and it didn't happen. I had 3 farms in my territory plus 3 other in conquered Japanese cities. I even repaired a pillaged farm to make sure it was registering just in case, but that didn't seem to solve it (see T92 save included)
Religious Emergency: first time I have seen one of those as I rarely/never play religion; (target as to hold his religion in converted Holy city for 16T out of 30T, see screenshot)

Attachments

• TAMAR 92 600 BC.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
  • TAMAR 109 175 BC.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • Civ6Screen0003.jpg
    Civ6Screen0003.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Civ6Screen0004.jpg
    Civ6Screen0004.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 171
Top Bottom