6otM 50 AAR - Phillip II of Spain

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM 50 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victories saves to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you instigate any major wars?

- Were City-States helpful?

- How did the new features help you?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the games?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

RV Turn 305 1868 AD Score 613

This one confused me. For the first half of the game, the AI built no holy sites, gained no Prophet points at all. When I was over halfway to getting my Prophet, two other Civs were generating small amounts of Prophet points (both 1 per turn, IIRC). Shortly after I founded Zoroastrianism (turn 258), I checked their progress again, and was astounded to see under Great Prophets, "All the individuals of this type have already been earned"--I flipped to the religion screen, I'm still the only religion. And it stayed that way for the rest of the game, making spreading my religion and gaining victory pretty much a given.

Edit: Just realized that the change to Industrial Era must have made Great Prophets impossible to recruit anymore. Good thing I got mine when I did, must have just squeezed in right before the change.

Settled 10, captured none, played totally peacefully. Settled the southern settler of my initial 2 between the turtles and the spices, and the other between the rivers, 3 east and 1 south of the first.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Cartography, Gunpowder, Square Rigging, Industrialization. Mercenaries, Reformed Church. Built a largish navy.

No.

I got early envoys for four of the five cultural CSs which was a big help, and used Mohenjo Daro to settle several cities with less regard to water than I might normally have.

- How did the new features help you?
Golden ages are always nice and I qualified for one just under the wire by building a mission on the last turn of the Renaissance Era.

The AI had no clue it was playing a religious game, kind of disappointing.

I rarely play for religious victory, so learned a bit more from the experience. Still, having not a single competing religion made the game a major disappointment. I've no idea what happened.​

Attachments

• PHILIP II 305 1868 AD RV.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Religious Victory Turn 334 Score 777

I took China's first two cities to the south and made peace leaving them one city they settled on the east side of the continent. Peaceful for rest of the game.

Attachments

• 6otM50D_Religious_Vic_T334_S777.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 158
T251, 1700AD, Religious Victory

- Cities & early build order?
196-MADRID
(1E of turtles): Settlers, Gov Plaza, Comm Hub, Holy Site
199-CORDOBA (3E/1NE of capital): Builders, Holy Site, Comm Hub
Spammed 9 early cities. Ended with 12 cities, last 3 cities being 1 captured settler and 2 captured cities.

- What did you prioritize for research, policies, and governance cards?
Research
: 221-Cartography, 232-Square Rigging, X-Gunpowder
Civics: 220-Humanism, 222-Exploration, 232-Reformed Church, etc.
Governance: started Autocracy w/ Survey, Conscription, Colonization, Serfdom; generally heavy faith/gold focus for governance and during the game went through Monarchy, Merchant Republic, and finally Theocracy

- Districts? Prioritized Holy Sites & Commercial Hubs; a couple harbors
- Governors? Started Magnus x2, Liang, Amani
- Wonders? None; Hagia Sophia attempted; captured Chichen Itza
-Ages? Normal as I never left Renaissance Era

- Religion? Pantheon: 203 – Divine Spark; Religion: 232- Choral Music, Holy Order; I was the only one to discover a religion at all

- Barbarians? annoying – killed my scout headed south on T199

- Military? War/peace? eliminated China, war 227-237; otherwise peaceful; was ready to attack Netherlands, but never did; heavy chariots upgraded to knights to attack, caravels to explore, frigates ready for war, but never used

- Were City-States helpful? Nothing Spectacular, but a little

- What was your strategy?
1) Started with Autocracy to try to get the first pantheon, but still failed to get ‘Goddess of the Harvest’, so took ‘Divine Spark’ instead. Decided to spam cities – had 9 cities with Holy Sites on T232 when I got Reformed Church and Theocracy
2) heavy focus on Holy Sites, Commercial Hubs, and maximizing faith
3) built up a military and took out China, but then decided to be peaceful for the remainder, even made two allies to try to keep the peace since the 3 that saw me destroy China thought I was a warmonger
4) missionary spam the world

- Homer Simpson moments – Doh!
I didn’t properly set up Hagia Sophia for a fast chop and then accidently started building it in the wrong city, so never got it. This resulted in some missionaries expending all their charges when I needed just one more charge. However, I had so many missionaries out it wasn’t worth waiting on the wonder.

- Game mechanic annoyance
The game doesn’t seem to properly show when you’ve achieved religious dominance over a civilization, except on the last civilization where you win. The only way I’ve found to get religious dominance victory status in world rankings at the time you actually get it to show properly is to a) wait until the next turn or b) save, exit to main menu, resume game. Both are annoying.

- Did you enjoy the game?
It was awesome as always. Continued awesome job on GOTM.

Attachments

• PHILIP II 251 1700 AD WIN.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
One city. T287 religious victory. 100% peaceful (for once). Played this in one sitting.

Moved a bit inland next to the cows, but still in range of coast to have a harbor if necessary.
Early build order: builders and districts.
I used Magnus + harvest pantheon and chopped all tiles that gave food and production. The food allowed me to build more districts. The faith chops allowed me to faith-buy a prophet much earlier. I stayed with Magnus the entire game.
Declared friendship with China early = no wasted production on military.
The CS were somewhat useful...especially Kumasi.
Wonders: built Hagia Sophia (good), Kotuko (ok), Kilwa (felt like it).
Researched Cartography first, then whatever. Square Rigging helped with embarked movement +1...should have researched it 2nd.

Only annoyance was the barbarian caravels. They destroyed one apostle and made me take the long way around on a couple of others...which would have improved my game by a few turns. I didn't move missionaries/apostles over to the main AI continent early enough..and it cost me ~10 turns on the victory date.

Overall fun game. Thanks for hosting.

cas

Attachments

• 6otm50-cas-PHILIPII-T287-1832 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
RV T273 / 595 pts

I built 6 cities. Built gov plaza in capital as fast as possible, along with ancestral hall. Then used Magnus to chop settlers and also had Goddess of Harvest, which gave tons of faith. Also had new builders get +2 actions, which gave lots of builders for chopping.

- What did you prioritize for research, policies, and governance cards?
Cartography was a goal so I could get to other continents fast.

Played 100% peacefully.

There were sick amount of cultural ones, maybe it even distracted because I built some theater districts, but culture was not that important in this game. I got enough faith from chops. Just getting to Cartography fast would have been enough.

- There were only 2 religions, which was surprising. I ended up having way too many missionaries and apostoles. I could have started conversion a lot sooner.

Not the biggest thriller but of course enjoyed! Otherwise would not play :)

Attachments

• g50_religion_ t273_595pts.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
t331 RV score 684
Forgot to submit... now I forget what I did and how things went.:old:

Attachments

• PHILIP II 331 1910 AD rv sc684.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 130
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom