1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 50 AAR - Temujin of Mongolia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Nov 1, 2018.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 50 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victories saves to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you instigate any major wars?

- Were City-States helpful?

- How did the new features help you?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the games?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. lordofcivs

lordofcivs Lord of The Civilizations

DV - Turns 299 1856 AD Score 2019

Settled 6 cities and then started war. Captured all cities in the world except 3 of Cree, 4 of Russian and any of the city states. In the meanwhile kept building new cities. In the end I had 52 cities in total.

It was an advanced start so that I needed was already researched. Though my main priority was to keep having enough gold to support my military. As I had only focus on cavalries, had high focus on those researches specifically.

It was the game of all war. Once a nation was done there was another declarance. Earlier I missed to get benefit of trade route power in wars. Later utilized it to its full extent. Even delayed the win by about 5 turns only to utilize that benefit against Russia.

Yes. Too much. Loved that I had Kabul nearby, as my capital was the main military producer anyways.

Didn't focus on getting God of Harvest, and for that I missed it. Though Magnus was still helpful in chopping settlers and workers to some extent.

I never played advance start, so it was a bit messy for me. Learned it too late that due to culture expansion much of the city tiles were automatically given to another nearby city (who could not even use that tile.) It was very disappointing as my cities had not been producing to their capacity as they should.

Mongolia is good to play always. However, advance start was not too much of fun. Early game eras are always very fun, and in this game it was removed. Overall it was an average kind of game.

Attached Files:

3. TomeTraveler

TomeTraveler Chieftain

DV Turn 273 Score 1112

Initially settled only the two settlers I started with, the east one in place, the west one going south and settling between the wheat and stone. First city built Encampment, horseman, campus, Ordu, second city started with Encampment, builder, Ordu. I tried something different (for me) and put Pingala in the first city right off the bat to try to gain a tech/culture head start (Magnus went to the second to start some chops). I built one one settler much later to get trade routes with the other continent, and one more a little later just because there was nothing else to do.

Apprenticeship, Stirrups, Cartograph, Military Science, Square Rigging. Feudalism, Mercenaries, Divine Right.

Naturally! Planned a horseman rush on Poundmaker after taking God of the Forge to help me build an army, then noticed that he had pikemen roaming round so I waited to declare until I'd researched Machinery and upgraded a couple of crossbows as well. Then Scythia and Kongo, eradicated, but I left Poland with three cities because I was eager to get on to the next continent, where the final three fell in short order (declared on the Netherlands on 258, Nubia 263, and Russia 266, finishing Peter off last on 273.

Not particularly, as Jadwiga pushed a ton of envoys into Kabul before I even discovered it (7 at the time) and the only other decent one I met early was Muscat (who at least helped me finance my first army).

Kind of neutrally. Successive golden ages is always nice but pretty easy to achieve in domination.

Aside from all my early opponents building pikemen, I was amazed that NOBODY else built campuses. At game end Poland had just built one five turns before, and the Netherlands built one three turns before I captured it.

Oh yes, learning a lot about advanced starts.

Attached Files:

4. JoZilla

JoZilla Chieftain

DV T211 (can't see my score)

Settled only 4. Captured a lot!

- Prioritized just to build horsemen as fast as possible and great general.

- Was on war pretty much all the time.

Kabul is nice for the double XP. I built lots of commercial hubs and muscat gave lots of amenities and gold.

- I used Magnus to chop horsemen early. I started with Autocracy and had +100% toward ancient walls and +50% towards cavalry, which gave nice overflows to encampment and government district, which were the first districts on the capital.

- I was surprised to see 2 civs so close, but it was easy to get them.

- It was maybe too easy, but on the other hand it was a fast game.

Attached Files:

5. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

Domination Vic Turn 266 Score 1249

I got lucky with a goody hut giving me the eureka for the Keshigs very early. I would have finished a lot sooner, but I didn't have enough navy in the area for the Russian capital. To make matters worse over half of those headed there were blocked by land in the north and had to go around.

Attached Files:

6. Eyswein

Eyswein Chieftain

T192, 1310AD, Domination Victory

- Cities & early build order?
    136-QARAQORUM
    (2SW of horse): Heavy Chariots, Gov Plaza w/ Warlord Throne, Comm Hub
    138-ERIDU (2N/2NE of capital): Heavy Chariot, Builders (w/ gold), Campus

The movement of my scout and archer didn’t see anything spectacular, so I wanted my capital to have chops – 2SW of horses has 4 chops in 2d circle. Using the settler mode, it didn’t look good to move the other settler E (no good water seen after moving archer NE), but the map showed the river running NE on the left side of the mountain and it appeared there was place I could go along the river next to the mountain and still be able to place a +3 campus in the square 1E/1NE of the horses (though ended up using a different spot for the campus once I could see more). SE of start area also looked like it might be good for a second city, but I really wanted a high bonus campus so wanted to stay near the mountains.

My next 4 settlers focused on: 1 for chopping more military and settlers – this was a captured settler, 2 for harbors (one had some nice science also), and obtaining iron so I could upgrade to knights. Of these 4, I believe it was 2 captured, 2 hard built. Finished with 22 cities.

- What did you prioritize for research, policies, and governance cards?
    Research
    : Stirrups, Cartography, Apprenticeship, Square Rigging, etc.
    Civics: Feudalism, Mercenaries, Civil Service, Divine Right, etc.
    Governance: started Autocracy w/ Maneuver, Conscription, Urban Planning, Strategos

It looked like all the AI took Classic Republic and Strategos because they all started gaining 2.3 GG points. I rushed my two GGs with faith (one early, one late).

- Districts? Prioritized a couple Campuses, a couple Commerce Districts, and 2 Harbors

- Governors? Started Magnus x2, Liang, Amani; eventually Reyna to contractor to rush an Encampment for two faith land unit purchases in a forward city

- Wonders? None early; eventually got Great Lighthouse
    -Ages? Normal as I never left Medieval Era

- Religion? Pantheon: 142 - Goddess of the Harvest; although I did also get faith from a TV, the whole point of taking Autocracy was to try to get the first pantheon; Religion: N/A

- Barbarians? annoying sometime – see Homer Simpson moments

- Military? War/peace?
    heavy chariots quick rushed the nearest two AI, then switched to knights/keshig for next two AI, then a caravel started the attack on the 5th AI, but stuck with knights/keshig inland; tended to send overwhelming force vice the more efficient mode of just enough

Eh – OK; early Muscat for gold, didn’t get Kabul Suz until the end, so not a factor

- What was your strategy?
    Early heavy chariot rush eventually upgrading to knights and adding keshig; get the eureka for the key techs/civics when possible (i.e. didn’t get it for Square Rigging or Divine Right as that would have required a larger slowdown than the eureka); caravels to find the AI not on my continent; complete Grand Master’s Chapel after getting Monarchy to faith buy knights/keshig; finish them (the AI that is); I completed wiped the first 5 AI off the face of the Earth, which is usually not as efficient as taking just the capital, but it was fun

- Homer Simpson moments – Doh!
    After wiping out the 2d AI, I decided to let the heavy chariots heal and send ahead my battering ram since I was at peace with everyone else I could see – a barbarian unit thought this expensive toy was fun to destroy.

After getting Stirrups and Divine Rights, I didn’t have 2 iron for knights, so decided to chop some keshig…and tried to do it with Chivalry instead of Feudal contracts…hence a ton of missed 50% production bonuses. After realizing what I did after about 4 chops, switched to heavy chariots and upgraded them to knights, so ended with a good mix anyway.

- Did you enjoy the game?
    It was awesome as always. Continued awesome job on GOTM.

Attached Files: