6otM 50 AAR - Trajan of Rome

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 50 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victories saves to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you instigate any major wars?

- Were City-States helpful?

- How did the new features help you?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the games?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
SCORE VICTORY 2775
Edit: Invalid, I just checked my mods and unfortunately I inadvertently had Industrial Improvements mod is use. I suppose the results are essentially SPAM for anything past the point where I built an industrial zone.

- How many cities did you settle or capture? 44
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Nothing particular. Sort of danced around stirrups until I could overflow chop a bunch of heavy chariots.
- Did you instigate any major wars? Many.
- Were City-States helpful? Yes.
- How did the new features help you? n/a
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? The barbs were very quiet.
- Did you enjoy the games? A fun game showcasing Roman legion early game power on lower difficulty levels.

Received a free builder from a goodie hut and Apogee/Magnus overflow chopped up a bunch of warriors in Rome. Beelined Ironworking, upgraded ASAP, then headed north to the Aztec (who was kind enough to build a settler for me).
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_1_2018 4_48_50 PM.png

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_1_2018 4_56_28 PM.png

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_1_2018 5_00_46 PM.png

Then proceeded further north toward Peter. Took Solikamsk, then St. Petersburg. Peter was also kind enough to build me a settler which I used to settle the Eyiafjallajokull (culture wonder). Ironically, suzerianship of Nan Madol for nearly the entire game has been exceptionally helpful in this game. I say ironically because of the powerful bath district making non water settles more feasible.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_1_2018 5_38_45 PM.png

Then beelined cartography and headed east. I stumbled on a Chinese settler about to create a city next to the Galapagos wonder. I appropriated him and then took Vilnius. On to Jiaodong, Changsha, then Xian.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_1_2018 8_58_20 PM.png

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_1_2018 9_30_55 PM.png

The Mongols had quite a force around the former Chinese lands and one of their horse units had a 60 melee rating when I initiated a theoretical attack from one of my 49-ish strength legions. Yikes. I decided to wait a bit and swung south and finished the Spanish.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_1_2018 10_06_00 PM.png

Built an encampment with stable and armory in Brundisium, Maneuver/Magnus chopped a bunch of heavy chariots up, merged them to chariot corps, then upgraded to knights. They are all presently riding toward the Giant’s Causeway (+5 combat bonus), after which I’ll declare on Mongolia. I can’t help get the feeling though, that I’m all dressed up with nowhere to go.

Maybe you guys could do a biannual ludicrous (mod) sized map?

…time passes…

Well, as of 1420 AD, the science tally is 321 (me) to 30 (cleopatra) to 10 (Pericles) and the culture is 308 to 27 to 19. I suppose now I should just settle and build things for score…Oh yeah, and conquer Egypt and leave Pericles on his island so as not to trigger an elimination victory.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 11_2_2018 4_04_13 PM.png

Attachments

• TRAJAN 275 6otM 1808 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Unfortunately, I ran into some odd glitch that makes the game outcome probably illegitimate, and so I've paused a little over halfway through (turn 192, after 116 turns of play). I'll go ahead and finish it sometime just to do so, but I'll pass on to the third game for now.

The odd thing happening is, after I conquered Russia, every city I've founded has been granted extra territory as if I'm PLAYING Russia. Attaching the save just in case anyone wishes to take a look at it.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 192 1310 AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
Unfortunately, I ran into some odd glitch that makes the game outcome probably illegitimate, and so I've paused a little over halfway through (turn 192, after 116 turns of play). I'll go ahead and finish it sometime just to do so, but I'll pass on to the third game for now.

The odd thing happening is, after I conquered Russia, every city I've founded has been granted extra territory as if I'm PLAYING Russia. Attaching the save just in case anyone wishes to take a look at it.
I noticed the same thing and suspect two things may be happening:
1) The later era start seems to grant more territory when settling, and
2) I think when you build a settler in a Russian city you conquer, it grants the extra territory as if you were playing Russia. I have noticed this phenomena before with "normal" ancient era starts and think the mechanism functions much the same as the 6-slot archeology museums in conquered British cities.

I noticed the same thing and suspect two things may be happening:
1) The later era start seems to grant more territory when settling, and
2) I think when you build a settler in a Russian city you conquer, it grants the extra territory as if you were playing Russia. I have noticed this phenomena before with "normal" ancient era starts and think the mechanism functions much the same as the 6-slot archeology museums in conquered British cities.

It's sure granting a lot of territory, then! A lot of the settlers involved came from Rome, too, so it seems to be more than just Russian settlers.

Edit: Well, seems my inexperience with non-ancient-era starts is showing. At least, in the medieval start game I am seeing the same thing. Took me quite awhile to settle a city beyond the first two, and when I did, it instantly granted me terrain as far as five hexes away! Is this normal then for such starts?

Last edited:
Score 2487, I went ahead and finished this one despite my uneasiness over the way I was getting Peter-like territory when settling cities after I conquered Russia.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settled Rome in place, I think, and ended up with 43 cities, of which 17 were founded and the rest captured.

Science always, used the quick legions to clean up my continent, then Cartography to get to the rest, Feudalism and Mercenaries, jumped around a lot in both trees. Kept my army fairly small while trying to build non-military as much as possible on the home continent.

Eliminated everyone but China, I suppose I could have gone ahead and taken everything Qin had aside from Xian as well to get a few more points, but by that time I was tired of warring and I'd used alliance with China for a lot of trade routes.

Of course! I rarely conquer City States, preferring the suzerain bonuses and things were no different here. It wasn't the best set of CSs but still was helpful. By the time I met Buenos Aires, Qin had a pile of envoys sitting there and though I took it over soon enough, we ended up pushing quite a few more there in fits and starts.

Steady stream of Golden Ages, took Heartbeat of Steam for the final one instead of To Arms because by that time most of the opponents were gone anyhow.

The mismanagement of improvements by the AI on Prince never fails to astound me, 150 turns into the game Pericles still had several unique luxuries unimproved.

With all the extra territory it seemed way too easy but still was a fun game, I don't think I've built so many wonders since Civ IV!

Attachments

• TRAJAN 276 1810 AD Score 2487.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
3882 pts @ t276

How many cities did you settle or capture?

In the end had 55 cities: 35 settled and 20 captured.

- Legions early in the early game, cartography after I had conquered home continent, then just hitting technologies that had eurekas. For policies I didn't really focus anything much. In the end game I should have focused on getting Scott-Amundsen research station faster.

- Yes, I wiped all but Greece.

Yes, lots of culture from the cultural city states.

- This was my first game playing for score, don't really know what is the easiest way to pump the score. Just tried to have big empire. I remember seeing that districts give quite a lot of score so built lots of them. Don't know if baths count as districts. If they do, should have built more of them.

- I messed up a lot while capturing Xian. It was size 17 I think, and I had great engineer, which gives ancient and medieval walls. I wasn't paying attention and put walls to nearby city. It culture flipped and at the same turn I reasearched musketmen, while I only had 4 legions I think sieging Xian. I was barely able to retake the nearby city as it had 2 musketmen and medieval walls. Then I could upgrade legions to musketmen and Xian fell a lot faster.

- It was fun. I'm glad there was not more turns though, because turns started rolling quite slow in the end with lots of cities producing lots of stuff.

EDIT1: I was also getting tons of land after settling a city.

Attachments

• g50_score_t276.png
    g50_score_t276.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 142
  • g50_rome_score_t276_3882pts.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
Compared to everyone else, my score is a pitiful 1686.

Note to self: Stop building a bunch of stuff and expand like crazy.

Attachments

• 6otM50B_Victory_Score_1686.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
Compared to everyone else, my score is a pitiful 1686.

I will see your low score and raise..errr...lower it. :) Score victory one city 649 points.

Didn't like the start position for one city, so I moved inland 3 turns(?) to the sheep plains hill tile just west of the two mountains. That still allowed a harbor in my 3rd ring while giving me more land and chops. Concentrated on Oracle, early campus/theater, Great Library. Built Mahabodhi Temple with Yerevan suz so I could convert Monty's holy city and get the religious emergency coin for the knights needed to take on Mongolia. Built Kilwa and Chichen for giggles.

3 legions were useful to limit early expansion of Aztec / Russia. Starting continent CS were useful for culture and early wars...especially Antananarivo. I had 26 great people throughout the game (many writers) so +52% culture by the end. sweet. I used a few frigates and a caravel to eliminate some coastal cities and most of Greece.

I really enjoyed this game. One city prince score isn't hard with enough time to crush the AI. The timing was a little tighter on this one. 50 turns left Mongolia had taken out Philip and one of China's cities, so we were close on score. His cities were inland so I couldn't use frigates/caravel combo. I had to send over ~10 knights + a siege tower with money from the religious emergency mentioned above. By the end, Khan was down to 3 cities.

I never did build a commercial hub in this game. lol. My population capped and I needed the other districts more.

Thanks for hosting.

cas

Attachments

• 6otm50-cas-TRAJAN-T276-1810 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
Victory Score 1718

Settled in place and played like normal style (heavy on research), until I captured my whole continent and with about 80 turns to go just went war for expansion.

Settled 12 cities (last two very late just for symettry on the land), and captured about 25 more by the time it was over. Could have done better if I concentrated on score earlier. I should say that the game was fun until it got silly at the end, being Prince level left no challenges for taking cities, just a time constraint.

Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• TRAJAN 276 1810 AD score 1718.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
45 ciudades conquistadas
priorice la tecnología militar y también las tecnologías que fomentaban la diversión de mi pueblo
La guerra Más importante Que tuve Una guerra contra Francia, Alemania, Estados Unidos, España, Persas, Macedonia y los ingleses de mi lado, FUE Alemania y El otro lado, los demas mi ventaja Fue Mi Tecnología Militar y Nada más y así mismo pelee con muchas mas superpotencias
ciudades estados que tu ejercito me reponia por al menos 30 turnos
las nuevas caracteristicas la verdad no me ayudaron mi sorpresa fueron los españoles que su ejercito me supero por un tiempo
Fue la partida que mas disfrute psd como pongo el archivo guardado

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month.

We are an English speaking forum and we require a translation for anything posted in other languages please. Best of luck in your games. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
45 ciudades conquistadas
priorice la tecnología militar y también las tecnologías que fomentaban la diversión de mi pueblo
La guerra Más importante Que tuve Una guerra contra Francia, Alemania, Estados Unidos, España, Persas, Macedonia y los ingleses de mi lado, FUE Alemania y El otro lado, los demas mi ventaja Fue Mi Tecnología Militar y Nada más y así mismo pelee con muchas mas superpotencias
ciudades estados que tu ejercito me reponia por al menos 30 turnos
las nuevas caracteristicas la verdad no me ayudaron mi sorpresa fueron los españoles que su ejercito me supero por un tiempo
Fue la partida que mas disfrute psd como pongo el archivo guardado

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month.

We are an English speaking forum and we require a translation for anything posted in other languages please. Best of luck in your games. leif

I do the google translate for my civ player comrades in other places:
45 conquered cities
Prioritize military technology and also the technologies that encouraged the fun of my people
The most important war I had A war against France, Germany, the United States, Spain, Persians, Macedonia and the English from my side, WAS Germany and The other side, the others my advantage was my military technology and nothing else and likewise fight with many more superpowers
cities states that your army replenished me for at least 30 turns
the new features the truth did not help me my surprise were the Spaniards that his army surpassed me for a while
It was the game that most enjoy psd as I put the saved file

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Finished that one with 3154 score.
~50% of it came from empire (number of cities and citizen)
~20% came from built wonders
~18% came from era score
so all the other things together (techs, civics, great people, religion) only contributed ~12% towards the score.

Even though I played this way past the deadline, I believe my game would have been invalid anyway since I captured
the last enemy city on the last turn which triggered the domination victory video even though dom victory was turned off :thinking:

Top Bottom