1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 82 opening actions report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM82 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your cities?

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

- What was your build order?

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

- How did you place your districts?

- Did you bother with religion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

- Were your neighbors peaceful?

- Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.6otM82 opening actions

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2020
    Knightfall likes this.
  2. bteall

bteall Chieftain

This is my first GOTM. I'm not sure how my skills/strategy will play out.

I was fairly peaceful except for taking over 2 city states.

I focused on settling new cities at the beginning.
    turn 30: Heidelberg
    44: Berlin
    53 Cologne
    75 Frankfurt

I took the fertility rites pantheon on turn 61
    I became a classical republic on turn 70
    I built a campus in Heidelberg on turn 70, Berlin turn 81, and Aachen 93

Casualty of war likes this.
  3. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month! :wavey:

Best of luck in your games. :thumbsup:

4. A_Modern_Major_General

A_Modern_Major_General Chieftain

Turn 23 a flood kills my first settler... It was going well but that level of luck variation is why I have an issue with reloading. That said it is a fun start if you don't get randomly screwed over.

5. Dekrznator

Dekrznator Chieftain

Dear diary.
    My young civilisation has established it's first city on wheat north of starting position. An old village witch looking in chicken bones predicted that we will be a glorious nation one day and should settle 2 more cities to form a triangle. We pumped out 2 settlers and did as she said.
    She also said that we should worsip our gods at the base of a active volcano so we placed a holy place there.
    Turn 25...volcano wiped out our shrine and all surrounding areas. 2 ppl were killed in our capital.
    There are lots of angry red men running around our plains trying to convert our workers into red color and smashing our cabbage fields.
    Turn 34 volcano goes boom again.
    Turn 57 another boom from volcano, another holy site smashed...I'm beggining to see a pattern here.

Turn 100..Vilinus, Armagh & Preslav are german cities now. China is no more, angry little indians in the mountains are pain in the ass to conquer with their +10 against golden era civ. We will come back to murder them later. There is going to be some serious hansa production going on later in game...map is awsome for hansa shuffle.

6. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

:lol::lol::lol:
    I think I have the disaster settings on 3 or4, which seems to make Barbs spawn more frequently... I specifically held off clearing barb camps that would have put me into a golden age when I stumbled on to Machupe. Annoying slaughtering barbs with 2 archers as they spawn does get them pumped up quickly

7. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Warlord

here did you settle your cities? Aachen NW one hex so I could chop the woods on the initial hex.Cologne SW of salt near mountains for some adjacencies.Dortmund on the coast near the horses.

- What was your build order?Scout, slinger, warriorx3,

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?Campus first kind of late though.

- How did you place your districts?Near the mountains.

- Did you bother with religion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Settled 3 capped Vilinius and three from China

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?Barb card and God king for religious settlements.Swapped god king for production after getting my settler.Swapped barb card for cav card for a few chariots to upgrade.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?Met eight have three as vassals.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?Yes.I was not of course.The continent will be mine.

- Any surprises?Not really.

8. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

Don't know if I'll be able to finish this before the deadline, but I think I'm off to a pretty good start at t100:

Starting settler settled in place. went south conquering with warriors. settled a couple more cities near my cap later. also settled one with a settler captured from Mapuche! :)

Archery, Bronze Working, Swordsmen, and whatever I had boosts for
    Political Philosophy and whatever I had boosts for

scout, slinger, warrior, warrior, warrior, warrior, warrior

I forget when, but first one was Encampment in the capital. didn't start campuses for quite a while

trying to maximize bonuses to 3+. I know this is probably not optimal for fastest times (the sooner better I think, to save cost), but I just can't help myself :)

- Did you bother with religion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    I didn't bother with religion. got the free settler from Religious Settlements pantheon, then forgot about religion. So I was really surprised when I got a Great Prophet who popped up in the former Mapuche capital. Cool! I don't think this has ever happened to me before in a game. I'm usually struggling to get one of the Great Prophets (playing at higher difficulty though).

the usual favourites Conscription, Urban Planning, and Serfdom most of the time

took out the city states on the path south, and brought Babylon, HongKong, Hattusa, and Kabul to my side

yes, they were. they were pissed when I surpised-attacked them

- Any surprises?
    the rate of barb spawns and rate of floods and volcanic activity. and the Great Prophet I wasn't trying for at all.

Here are some of my milestones that I jotted down as reached:
    t29 Vilnius down
    t37 Armagh down
    t43 Preslav down
    t52 Mapuche settler captured, and all units (I think) of Mapuche's army eliminated
    t59 Mapuche down. I was in golden age for 3 or 4 turns before this, but Mapuche was so weak he couldn't even build an archer before his capital went down. he had no other cities built.
    t75 Xian down.
    t80 China eliminated
    t97 Great Prophet
    t99 Cartography. need to go out and find new people to make trades with :)

9. Zedseayou

Zedseayou Chieftain

Late entry, but I'm playing back through some of the GOTM games, especially the easy ones to get used to the GS changes more.

I settled in place, the spot seemed good on the plains/hills with water. I never feel like I have the builder charges to chop.
    I settled two to the west in the plains, by the coast and the lake. I figured this is Continents so having at least one coastal city will be useful. I also placed one more to the southeast along the river.
    Now planning to place at least two more, one to fill the gap near Armagh and one on the east side of the volcano for another Holy Site and maybe St. Basils.

I didn't really have a beeline at first. I kinda focused on getting eurekas at first, made sure I got writing to put a first campus down, and then went towards Iron Working because I was starting to be at war. I picked up builder techs as needed. Annoyingly, a few barbs swarmed my worker so I had to dance it around, and didn't get the Iron Working Eureka. As the war progressed, I started to go for Apprenticeship to get Hansas rolling in every city, and better provide the hammers for more districts. Definitely trying to make use of the increased cap.

I think scout -> slinger, then mixed in settlers and archers to get cities going as I began some warring. Skipped early builder because I got one from a hut.

I put a campus down pretty early, then relatively late a Holy Site by the volcano to the north (9 adjacency with Dance of the Tundra!). After that, I've been trying to get Hansa/Campus/Commercial Hub built basically everywhere (at pop 4!!!). I'm glad I got the campus down because I snagged Hypatia, which is a really nice GS to have.

I've tried to maximize adjacency, but there aren't a ton of great campus spots without purchasing too many tiles. The Hansa/Commercial Hub/Campus cluster helps a lot with that though.

I used my holy site and the GP policy card to get the second religion after Stonehenge (technically the third prophet, but that went to Qin and it popped on the turn I wiped him out). I'm hoping that Jesuit Education and Church Property will give me some additional boost given that I only have one neighbour now. I was really tempted to get the +1 gold/science for commercial hub/campus, but I didn't actually know if it counted for me/founder or for city owner. Might regret losing that extra science.
    As the image shows, I'm at 8 cities, 4 of which are captured from Vilnius/China.

I'm on classical republic and heading for merchant republic, to keep the -1 upkeep with the free military policy. I have +1 prod and been swapping in extra builder charges and extra settler production as needed. Unfortunately my campus adjacencies aren't stunning so that card hasn't been super compelling.

I've got Armagh, Babylon, Hattusa suz'd I think. Focused on the science ones. I also met all three military CS first so got some nice unit prod in the capital. Might try and do some more quests now.

Mapuche just captured Hong Kong, but otherwise no aggression.

- Any surprises?
    Only two neighbours on this continent is interesting. I don't know if I will keep Mapuche around; I probably could walk over him with 3 xbows but having more trade is nice. The second part of SV is where I don't really know how it works, so looking forward to that.

Attached Files: