6otM 94 AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 94 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you bother with Diplomacy ?

- How did you convert your enimies?

- Were City-States helpful?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the game?

-What do you think of the random tech/civ trees?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Religious victory Turn 165, Score 628.

I went with Divine Spark (I should have picked one for more faith), Religious colonization (Holy Order might have been better), Work Ethic, Papal Primacy and Mosques.

I had to reconvert both Russia and Germany, which delayed my finish by at least 10 turns.

I think if I had settled more cities earlier, got the holy sites and aqueducts quicker then ran holy site projects, I could have finished a lot faster.

Attachments

• 6otM94 Religious Vic T165 S628.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
RV 151
6 cites, for pantheon I picked the one giving xtra housing with holy site next to river, my first 3 cities grew very fast.

The random tree was a pleasure to play, that was the first time that I could not go on ocean tile with a frigate :)

Attachments

• JAYAVARMAN VII 151 800 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 116
Religious Victory Turn 169, 673 points

7. Far fewer than normal and 2 of them much later than normal, but all I needed from them was the faith generation.
I tried to make sure every city had a holy site on the river to get all the bonus' stacking. And that worked well.
No wars, so they were all mine.

I tried to get as many eurekas/inspirations as I could to reveal the trees so that I could choose which I wanted for what was most critical.
Science: Astrology. Bronze working. then aimed for cartography, got lucky in that it was in the top 1/2 of the tree.
Culture: Military tradition (for barbs), theology (for Prasat and Scripture) and Political Philosophy was my early aims. After that I went hunting for Reformed Church (discount and atk strength)

Yes, initially, to make sure people didn't attack me early. Though I did have a sizable army that I kept up to date.
However when the world congress voted against spices providing lux's which I had loads of, when the AI cheated and the civ's on the other, unmet, continent block voted against it I abandoned Diplomacy as I felt I was being cheated against. Of course the next world congress also had the luxuries vote and had the same result with block voting from unmet civ's on the other continent who knew nothing about me, or spices.

- How did you convert your enemies?
An army of Apostles in groups of 3 mostly. I had 2 debaters in 20+ Apostles.
There were very few opposing missionaries or apostles to fight so I guess only having the options for 2 debaters in my army wasn't that important.
I swept west, into Russia and wiped out his Religion everywhere in his cities, then north for the Germans.
Australia and Georgia were hit with a missionary or two to clear up enemy religions, same with all the city states.
then it was all about finding cartography whilst building more apostles and the long swim east (right) to find Arabia and Poland and then bring them to the fold.

Valletta was. Being able to faith buy city centre and walls made starting cities much quicker.
I didn't really get control of the religious city states, they all wanted trade routes for envoys.

Peter not in tundra. Georgia not getting a religion.
I had a major barb assault from the SW corner of Vimayapura, where a camp spawned and I missed it, fighting off the barbs took a lot of production of warriors and archers, cost me a classical golden age because I had to focus on it.

Yes, but I had just done a similar game aiming for religion victory with all 3 optionsl modes enabled so this kind of felt samey from my last game.
Prince lets me get most of what I want in wonder terms, so that's generally fun. Getting most of the good wonders for religious victory was enjoyable.

I'm not a fan I think. It's such a lot of guesswork when there are critical techs that lock you out from progressing (i.e. Cartography).
I felt it slowed the game quit a bit

Spoiler My Civ Map :

Religion was: River Goddess, Work Ethic, Holy Orders, Pilgrimage, Mosque.

upload_2020-9-4_0-34-56.png

Attachments

• JAYAVARMAN VII 169 1080 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
Ha. Funny thing. With the randomized tech tree I was able to switch into Monarchy, but then, since there's no diplomatic policy cards available, I can't fill it up so it won't let me end the turn!

upload_2020-9-3_17-54-1.png

RV T131

Spoiler Details :

Random Techs & Civics was fun, beeline seem to be less efficient because you can't be sure where are you going. I decided to focus on getting eurêkas and inspirations more than usual for a Religious game, I usually beeline Astrology, Mathematics and Cartography. The game plan was basically the same as usual, except that I settled two coastal cities and built two harbours to know where Cartography was.

As it was on Prince difficulty I delayed a little bit my holy sites. I focused on 4 main cities, then a 5th, then a 6th and a 7th for eurêkas.

| Some general notes of the first 60 turns | Some of them are still in french (my main language), Sorry about that.

T1 : Move Settler 1 tile to W
T2 : Settle on 2/2
T4 : First Meet with La Valette
T12 : (not First) meet with Fès
T19 : First Meet with Mitla
T23 : Meet with Germany
T24 : (not First) meet with Auckland
T28 : DoW against Germany for 1 Settler steal
T38 : Meet with Australia
T38 : Meet with Georgia
T42 : Pantheon : Déesse des festivals
T42 : Discover the Uluru
T55 : Meet with Russia
T56 : Religion founded : Feed the World / Missionary Zeal (The idea was to use Jerusalem bonus with Big cities for a natural conversion of my neighbours, I only had to convert manually Russia).
T56 : (not First) meet with Antioche
T61 : Medieval Golden Age | Monumentality

| Cities Development |

[T2/Angkor Thom] : T7 : Scout / T11 : Scout / T18 : Settler / T28 : Settler / T34 : Monument / T39 : Builder / T43 : Holy Site / T46 : HS Prayers / T49 : HS Prayers / T53 : Builder / T62 : Campus / T70 : Prasat / T79 : Ancestral Hall

[T22/Indrapura] T33 : Slinger (with Gold) / T34 : Monument / T47 : Holy Site / T54 : Autel / T58 : Builder (with Gold) / T63 : Campus / T71 : Prasat

[T37/Hariharalaya] T49 : Holy Site / T56 : Autel / T66 : Campus / T71 : Builder

[T42/Yasodharapura] T55 : Holy Site / T66 : Autel / T77 : Prasat

| Techs & Civics |

T12 : Animal Husbandry
T20 : Mining
T24 : Pottery
T33 : Astrology
T40 : Irrigation
T43 : Archery
T48 : Writing
T52 : Wheel
T56 : Navigation à voile
T62 : Bronze working
T63 : Masonry
T65 : Equitation
T69 : Construction
T74 : Ingénierie
T77 : Mathematics

>>> Then beeline to Cartography | I unlocked it only by turn 115-120, I had an army of Missionary Zeal Apostles ready to convert the other continent so it went pretty fast after unlocking Cartography.

T17 : Code juridique
T35 : Foreign Trade
T43 : Mysticisme
T47 : National Workforce
T48 : Craftmanship
T52 : Early Empire
T58 : Theology
T61 : Military Tradition
T65 : Histoire écrite
T69 : Philisophie politique
T81 : Formation militaire

>>> Then beeline to Reformed Church | Reformed Church was good for late apostles but not game changing, thanks to Yerevan I was able to take combat theology bonuses + some extra charges on some of my apostles. As the Ai's had only a couple of apostes, I converted most of the cities by natural conversion rather than theological combat, which is on Deity usually a better strategy for high faith generation AI's.

upload_2020-9-4_11-49-0.png

Attachments

• 6otm94 Khmer Prince RV T131.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 129
Ha. Funny thing. With the randomized tech tree I was able to switch into Monarchy, but then, since there's no diplomatic policy cards available, I can't fill it up so it won't let me end the turn!
That stinks!! :(

RV Turn 124

- How many cities did you settle? 5 - the last one was a bit useless but i was hoping for some nice holy site in the south desert mountains. No luck tho.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Holy Sites - Temples. Wanted then to go to cartography but realized we could cross continents without deep sea on the other side of our continents, so i didn't require cartography eventually.

- Did you bother with Diplomacy ? No

- How did you convert your enimies? I took the religious belief that lets religious units ignore movement penalties, so i had super quick apostles with double promotion and missionnary with 7 charges (golden age)..

- Were City-States helpful? Yerevan is always good for religion. I enjoy Fez for the quick science boost in the early game.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Not really

- Did you enjoy the game? Yes

-What do you think of the random tech/civ trees? Was fun and refreshing!

Attachments

• Jayavarman Victory Screen.png
    Jayavarman Victory Screen.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 145
Wanted then to go to cartography but realized we could cross continents without deep sea on the other side of our continents, so i didn't require cartography eventually.

I did not notice that, It would have been a sub T100 if I saw that. Well done !

T122 RV - the world rankings didn't update after, so it only shows 6/8 civs converted. I attached a victory graph showing the great scientist I recruited on T122.
6, though I only had 3 for about the first 100 turns
Techs: astrology, writing, shipbuilding, celestial nav, cartography
Civics: theology, pol philosophy
- Did you bother with Diplomacy?
Yes, made friends with everyone for better trade deals and so things would stay civil once i started converting their cities.
Inquisitor Apostles courtesy of Yerevan! Used one Apostle to establish the Pilgrimage belief.
Fez and Yerevan. Would have taken forever to get to Cartography without Fez.
I thought I had shallow water passage to the new continent past Hattsua, but was disappointed. Maybe could have crossed the shallow water between Australia and Poland, but the barbs there were pretty bad. Not sure I would've passed through them safely without Cartography.
Yes. Another crazy good start. GotM staff is nailing these map seeds.
- What do you think of the random tech/civ trees?
Loved it! you have to draw a lot on your knowledge of the game to navigate the trees somewhat efficiently. The hardest thing was never getting to feudalism. Spent way too much time producing builders, since I didn't take Monumentality.
- Hindsight: Should have gone with Pingala instead of Maksha.

Attachments

• Screenshot (61).png
    Screenshot (61).png
    4.1 MB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot (63).png
    Screenshot (63).png
    2.4 MB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
  • GotM94 turn detail.xlsx
    13.3 KB · Views: 119
  • GotM94 T122 RV.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
T116 RV - looks like the world rankings update in the start of a turn, so it shows 7/8 civs converted in the screenshot.

Settled 6, captured/flipped none. One for second harbor to get cartography's eureka, and one late for Mahabodhi.

For politics: PP first, luckily Theology was right on the way. Went for gov. title politics next and beelined Reformed Chuch after getting inspiration, but finished before researching it.
For science: searched for Astrology, unfortunately found it rather late. Beelined Cartography next, but found out that there is a shallow water path to the next continent in the west, so switched to prayers in all cities. Finished before researching Cartography because of it.

Not that much, most of the opponents were too poor to trade anyways. Tamar (and later Teddy) offered hefty prizes for DF, so traded it to them whenever remembered.

Religion: Work Ethic to build up infrastructure and Missionary Zeal for faster conversion. 'Zealed' missionaries (and apostles) with Exodus GE are fun! Forgot to evangelize belief, Pilgrimage could have been useful as well.
Converted home continent with missionaries. Focused on Peter to eliminate his religion. Had to use 2 apostles near the end to reconvert Georgia and Germany after they founded religions.
After finding the passage to the second continent, focused on suzeraining (is it a word?) Yerevan and mass bought apostles to convert 3 leftover civs. Looks like they had some massive barb problems, so they didn't have that many cities and converting them were easy.

Initial plan was to use Fez to rush Cartography, so I spend a couple of envoys on them + used Amani. It worked out well, but turned out to be unnecessary after I found out the west passage. Yerevan helped a bit with final push, probably shaved a couple of turns, but wasn't that mandatory that game, as AI religious game was weak.

Shuffled trees are the biggest surprise IMO. And it's fun trying to guess where to go, trying to remember eurekas/inspirations. But the biggest surprise was definitely the shallow water passage to the west.

Yes, very much. Nice relaxing game with a civ I've never played before!

I found them entertaining. A nice change of pace and also require you to think and act differently.

Attachments

• 6otM94 JAYAVARMAN VII Win 116.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
  • 20200905203139_1.jpg
    20200905203139_1.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20200905203204_1.jpg
    20200905203204_1.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 142
T156 RV Score 396

Game crashed at turn 37. Reloaded and replayed the turn. Only change was I met Mitla one turn later which I assume is due to a different movement by their warrior. It wasn't a first meet either way, no foul play that I know of.

4. No specific reason, felt that was enough

Astrology, Theology and Cartography. Beeline'd when I eventually found them.

No

When the apostle army was on its way I hadn't found Russia yet. Germany had only known religion on the continent so started with him. Wiped him out quick and found Russia in the meantime. Headed south west and did the same for Russia. Had an 11 spread apostle (3 + mosque 1 + golden age 2 + orator 2 + pilgrim 3) that handled Georgia and most of Aussie. Aussie was mostly converted by combat victories against Russia. Timed Cartography well, was complete within a few turns of getting to the west coast. Made a few more apostles in the cap to send east. Ran thru Poland quick, she had one apostle running around. Used all my diplo for a +10 combat for my relig units. Salidin was hard to find on account he had only one city. Poland was on a tear. Wiped out Teddy before I got there. was working on Salidin's last city when it ended.

I think missionary zeal would have been a better selection. Probably could have shaved a few turns. I spawned two apostles in the wrong city, missed out on a couple of double promotions.

Met Valletta first so I pumped four settlers while searching for astro. Poured all remaining envoys into Fez to get to carto faster. Yeravan would have been nice but Peter already had 6 in there when I met so I didn't bother.

Not really.

Good to have time within the ballpark of others, so yes.

Can take it or leave it. Didn't do a ton for me.

RV 158.

9 cities in total. Great city spots without any war, but last 2 cities did not contribute much.

Standard stuff.

No. In the end got denounced by all but Australia, who I had befriended before the wave of spreading the true word of Islam.

About 10 apostles and maybe 7 missionaries. I have no idea about the optimal ratio. Managed to buy all of them with monumentality, but did not make use of Theocracy 15% discount, because I wanted to be a bit faster.

Not that much. Was planning to build a few huge heads, but La Venta was eliminated. Probably biggest influence on science, which almost became a bottle neck in this game.

That there was a shallow route to the other continent. Fez gave quite a good amount of science through convertations, though it was too late to change anything.

Yeah for a religion game this was a good one.

I love it. Makes it so much more interesting. Having to take pretty much same routes has riddled me since Civ4, so this is a great change to spice up things.

Attachments

• JAYAVARMAN VII 158 940 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
RV Turn 174, Score 792

My objective with this game was to enjoy the benefits of the Khmer - Staying peaceful with huge cities with river Holy Sites, Aqueducts surrounded by Farm triangles, Prasats filled with Relics and lots of nice Wonders to support that, so I didn't push too much for a fast victory.

Settled 8 cities myself, 3 flipped. My capital was settled 1W to take benefit of early extra production. My build order was then Scout, Scout, Settler, Holy Site. I bought the Spice tiles as soon as I could to boost growth in the Capital. 2nd city was built in the mountains to the south because of the nice HS site and a +4 Campus site.
I went for the River bonus Pantheon and for Religion I went for Reliquaries & Monastic Isolation.
I build Holy Sites and Aqueducts in almost all cities and plenty of Wonders: Temple of Artemis, Apadana, Hagia Sophia, Kotoku-In, Mahabodhi Temple, Meenakshi Temple, Mont St. Michel, Macchu Picchu
Six more wonders were in progress when I won: Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, Potala Palace, St. Basil's Cathedral, Terracotta Army, Colosseum, Forbidden City. I started the Petra as well in my newly flipped city.
This with no Industrial Zones - the first one was build close to the end of the game.I did a lot of Chopping with Magnus though.

Tech: Astrology for early Holy Site, Archery and Engineering for Aqueducts
Civics: Mysticism, Political Philosophy (which came very late in the tree), Theology and Reformed Church
Policies: In the beginning Barb bonus + extra production, later Builder bonus and Wonder bonus.

- Did you bother with Diplomacy?
I sent delegations to every one and traded a lot for sustaining a steady gold flow but had difficulties to keep up good relationships. Jadwiga was my only friend, the rest didn't like me very much, even before I started converting their cities.

I used mainly Missionaries that I then sacrificed for relics. Not very successful as the enemies didn't produce many Apostles to hit me. I got only 4 relics this way and found 1 in a Tribal Village as well. Conversion was easy since there were very few enemy Apostles underway. I used some Apostles for support as well.

Fez helped me with Science boost when converting and Jerusalem helped me as well I guess to power my Holy Sites. I used the Valetta bonus to faith-buy a few buildings. I didn't use the Yerevan bonus much, only at the end of the game.

The barbs tormented Tamar and beat her capital down before John jumped in and took it over. 6 Turns later, it flipped and I took it over.
I also missed the first Golden Age with 3 era points - not a disaster but I could have used the extra faith-bought builders.

Very much, the plenty of rivers nearby gave interesting options to settle and I felt I can really use the unique features of the Khmer.

Very interesting, I had to adapt my research strategy several times during the game. Especially the Political Philosophy civic was a challenge to optimize.

Attachments

• JAYAVARMAN VII 174 1130 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
RV t211 score 778

I got caught up having some fun wars... Tamar and Germans... just slow getting apostles overseas. Fun relaxed game, but slow finish. Maybe top score??:lol: Nope.

Attachments

• JAYAV t211 1500 AD sc778.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 127
Score: 1500
Turns: 234

Hi there from the Netherlands. I'm a huge civfan like you all. This is my first GOTM.

Starting spot was sweet. Much food, actually lots of excess of food. So I started to pump out settlers. Because of the 'prince' level I could easily settle and expand. I settled all my 5 or so cities near rivers to use the civilization traits (aquaducts and prasats). Then I met Georgia. They had Tiblisi and one another city. Tiblisi was a perfect city with wonders, so I had to take it with the special civ unit (domrey) and a melee unit (and I took the second and third one). Then suddenly Russia declared a surprise war on me, while we were both fighting Georgia. I razed one city and freed Australia. i stopped warmongering, since it wasn't the objective. Germany wasn't fond of me, but we didn't go to war. The other island I met in the late game. In the meanwhile I popped out some cities just for fun and faith. In the last three turns I messed up and give a city for free to Australia.

I focused on empire growth to make many holy sites (and eventually faith). I find faith is always very useful in civ 6. I was thinking building the oracle, but I couldn't, because I couldn't clear the marsh. But due to the random tech/civic tree the 'temple' came up earlier than normal, so no worries. Panteon: river goddess (in line with the civilization traits). Then jesuit education and dar a mehr. In the mid game I had 500 faith a turn and I ended with 800 faith per turn.
Faith.

Not really. But funny, in the endgame I had to sell all my great works, otherwise I would have had a culture victory.

Georgia: war
Australia: freed and inquisition
The others: convert cities, preferrably with theological combat rather than simple conversion.

They always are. I think they are too powerfull. In the beginning I focused on the religious city states and the CS that have a special faith trai like Valletta. after a while you are so far ahead of the AI that you almost bacome suzerain of all of the city states

The surprise of a near culture victory.

Yes! I liked to play a game NOT on deity.

It's funny, but it makes the game differenct in tactics from a certain perspective. But the fun part is that we all are facing the same uncertain conditions.

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Thanks for the GOTM! See you soon!

Gr. Jeroen

Attachments

• JAYAVARMAN VII 234 1615 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
RV@ Turn 117 (start of turn)
I finished this in the nick of time! Plan was to found up to 4 cities, find Cartography using the Eureka and beeline it; left open the possibility of the Mahabodhi Temple.

Settled 4 cities total; was a peaceful game so did not conquer anything.

Astrology, Political Philosophy and beelined Cartography.

Not really, just made sure everyone was friendly, preferably with DoF so they could not declare on me.

One by one, made short work of them. The key to a quick(ish) victory here is to manage the number and speed of missionaries. Distances, and not the opponents work against the player!

Ohhhh yeeees!
Fez was phenomenal for securing Cartography (+876 science tech) on T90, which is faster than usual for me.

Not really, except the synergy between Fez and religion, which was even better than I had expected.

Absolutely, I love religious victories!

I think it adds a layer of strategizing on top, as you have to do educated guesses on era techs/civics. Also, it makes eurekas/inspirations even more important when trying to beeline something.

Spoiler Turn by turn play report :

T01 - SIP
T04 - Met Valletta (+1 envoy)
T13 - Met Mitla (+1 envoy)
T14 - Met Fez
T22 - Angkor Wat founded
T33 - Met Tamar
T34 - Preah Vihear founded
T38 - Pantheon (Divine Spark)
T52 - Met Frederick
T53 - Simon Peter recruited
T54 - Met Hattusa (+1 envoy)
T55 - Religion founded (Work Ethic, Holy Order)
T61 - Classical GA (Exodus of the Evangelists)
T71 - Yasodharapura founded
T72 - Met Australia
T72 - Political Philosophy (Classical Republic)
T74 - Euclid recruited
T78 - Met Peter
T78 - Met Yerevan
T80 - All Prophets recruited!
T82 - Met Jerusalem
T83 - Arybhata recruited
T83 - Met LaVenta
T84 - Found Cartography on the tech tree!
T85 - Met Venice
T90 - Cartography! (850+ science tech)
T91 - Hypatia recruited (no Campus to place her :D)
T92 - Tribal village gives up a Relic
T96 - Met Arabia (we know everyone)
T117 - Victory!

Attachments

• 6otM94 prince religion .Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
turn 294 RV 1374
How many cities did you settle? 8

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? I went for cart early thinking I would need it.

- Did you bother with Diplomacy ? No

- How did you convert your enimies? Conquered Freddy apostles for the others plus a few cities grabbed from Arabia to hasten the victory.

- Were City-States helpful? Yeah I had Kilwa and multiple science cities and Valleta and La Venta.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? None.

- Did you enjoy the game? Yes.

-What do you think of the random tech/civ trees? It made getting eureka's tricky.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0295.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish.

Top Bottom