1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 96 Opening actions Report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM96 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your cities?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you bother with Culture?? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I almost gave up at turn 62. I had 3 cities and managed to grab a religion, but a dark age took one of the cities. I couldn't take it back because barbs and Japan had taken out all my military except 1 galley, 1 archer and 1 warrior. I managed to get peace with Japan, but I was struggling to get back up and running.

Before I could get my military and walls up, Japan dow'd. I was able to get a few AI's, including China to join the war. A couple of turns later China dow's me too. I barely managed to get walls finished in my capital the turn before I would have lost it.

I did manage to secure a golden age for the Medieval era and almost all the AIs went into a dark age. That made China lose the city I lost to the dark age. It filled to me, then one of China's other cities flipped to me. I was then able to make peace with Japan and China.

3. Email10

Email10 Swedish Viking

First 100 turns didn't turn out as planned at all. My strategy was not clear if I go for Dom or Religious - I wanted to see a bit of the map before deciding. I did want to use the specifics of the Byzantines, meaning:
    • Get a religion and convert Holy Cities for Taxi bonus
    • Build Hippodromes and Arenas for free Tagmas
    • Convert cities before attacking them
    All this while avoiding Dark Ages. My plan was also to get Voidsingers quickly for a fast pantheon - this didn't go well at all as I didn't find many Tribal Villages.

- Where did you settle your cities?
    Capital was settled in place. As I wanted a Holy Site in my capital and I didn't see any Mountains in the South I thought this would be the best place, with Fresh Water.

I went for Astrology first - this was a mistake as I couldn't build my HS on the place I wanted before I got Bronze Working, so that was my next target to research. After that, I went for Sailing to get some Galleys out for Era score and hopefully to discover some other Civs.

My first policies were God King and Discipline. Later I went for Maritime Industries and the extra Production

Scout, Monument, Slinger, Settler, Builder, Settler, Holy Site
    I would have wanted the HS earlier but the rain forest tile forced me to wait. I did get the 4th prophet anyway.

Holy Site in my capital, Harbor in my second city and a Government Plaza in my capital. After that I built some Encampments and focused on Hippodromes

Holy Site +2 at the Rainforest tile between my capital and mountain. This became +4 as I placed the Government Plaza next to it.

- Did you bother with Culture?? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Not really, I captured two Theatre Squares from Japan.
    I settled 5 cities myself, captured Osaka from Japan who revolted due to their Dark Age. After that, I captured 3 cities from Japan and razed one in my first war.

I met only one CS first, so I didn't really use or cultivate the City States much. On turn 100, I had 3 suzerains: Mexico City, Lahore and Lisbon. Fez would have been nice but the other Civ's sent lot's of Envoys and Amana to them.

Japan DoW'ed me but had only 3 Swordsmen and a Chariot to attack. My 3 Archers and 2 Swordsmen had no problem with that. After, they came with one Samurai and when I had killed him I could counter and by that time I had my first Tagma and had no problem to roll over Japan.

- Any surprises?
    The first Barb Camp was really annoying. I didn't go for it immediately and suddenly it hat spawned 1 Slinger and 2 Warriors. They managed to kill my only scout.

I had almost no tribal villages on the continent. The first one I found was close to Fez, but got stolen by a japanese Worker- I didn't know that Workers can open Tribal villages? The second one was close to Mexico City and I got 40 Gold from it, but no Voidsinger. So I had to wait a long, long time before I could produce a scout again and go for Tribal Villages on other islands.

I missed the first Golden Age with 1 Era score. One turn later I met India for what would have been the Golden Age. I turned into Dark Age and my third city flipped immediately.

Japan launched an emergency after I captured their Capital. Both China and Canada jumped in on the fun

Summary
    A very challenging map for me, with few good city spots. No tribal villages to get Voidsingers from. The Dramatic Ages is also very challenging - I should have tried to get a Galley faster, maybe buy it for gold as soon as I had Sailing.

I founded my religion Turn 65 and went for Work Ethics and Crusade, to boost my future Tagmas further.

On Turn 96 I finally got my Golden Age and I should have no problem to win this game now with plenty of Tagmas on their way to fight China and Canada.

4. Tarry

Tarry Chieftain

Turn 99.
    Where did you settle your cities?
    Settled in place, 1 city each side of the inner lake so I would be able on the west to get ships out and about.

Astrology -> pol philosophy. Bronzeworking.
    got a religion, 4th one, but pretty good. Work Ethic and Crusade.

slinger, settler, builder.

first district was HS, came quite late.

badly!

tried to get some culture from having monuments (old god obelisks). missed out on choral music as I got 4th out of 5 religions.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Agoge and Maritime Industries to build up armies, with conscription.

met all 3

yes (japan), no (china surprise war)

- Any surprises?
    very little barb action, made getting 1st golden age impossible.
    Falling into a dark age I lost Adrianople (east of lake), took a while to recapture it. Dark age was scarey, had to carefully assess governer promotions and acquisitions for it to strengthen my cities.
    Japan also went into a dark age, so that was my target, took it through my ships attacking his 2 coastal cities and newly promoted swordsmen.
    Surprise war from China while warring on Japan, almost lost Antioch (west of lake). I was able to sell dip favour and horses to india and Greece to buy a "defensive" heavy chariot to defend Antioch. My counterattack killed a unit near a city, and bamm, religion spread. Suddenly my troops were awesome thanks to Crusade. I swept both China and Japan on my island trying to spread religion. Interestingly if I get attacked and kill the opponent unit, that also spreads religion, I had not expected that.
    Canada appears with his filthy missionaries. My newly spawned apostals (both debaters) will have something to say about that soon.
    Greece snuck a city onto my island while I was in dark age, now I'm golden and he's dark. In 6 turns it's going to join me.

So where I am.
    Feudalism in 3 turns.
    Stirrups in 6 (probably 4) turns (I should have focused more on that)
    Several almost completed hippodromes.
    3 turns on canada's denouncement....
    yessssssssss

upload_2020-10-9_20-24-42.png

Attached Files:

TheFinalChiTown and leif erikson like this.