1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM 98 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 98 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory type, date, and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
    Please attached your victory save to your post.
    - How many cities did you settle?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you bother with Religion?
    - How did you subdue your enemies?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    -What do you think of the random tech/civ trees?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Eyswein and Knightfall like this.
  2. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Culture Victory t239, score 1319
    I love being first to report... at least for a short while I am in the lead.:lol:

I was going to be peaceful, until I see Rome is the biggest culture maker and has ZERO in military power. I left him 2 cities... he declared an emergency with Poundmaker and took back Rome, which I got back 2 turns later, took another Roman city, and then left Poundmaker with only 1 city (which was close to flipping to a free city, but fortunately that didn't happen.

On the tourism side, I found a relic early from a hut, so took a religion with relic tourism tripled. I then bought a relic from Rome. I got the martyr ability for apostles, but was only able to get one (maybe 2?) more relics that way -- the AI just wouldn't kill them.

My biggest delay then was that I generated a lot of great writers but had too few amphitheatres to put them in. Spamming theatre districts took a long time. By the time I settle the last great work of writing, I also had 3 national parks, 5 seaside resorts, a full archeological museum and two full art museums. Oracle worked better than expected, I guess. That plus Pingala in capitol with 4 promos. Then as many walls as I could build at the end. about 500 tourism per ter at the end (Brazil has 83 culture defense and is last to be dominated by my tourism). I built a lot of wonders in the capitol, Hermitage, Oracle, St Basils, Petra, and another religious one. Rome had a couple that gave extra policy cards.

I was hoping to get under 200 turns. At about t180 I had "14 turns to victory" according to the scoreboard, but that was when my ally Brazil turned up his culture. Took a while to overwhelm it. However, I was pleased that I was able to win before Rock Bands were available. I think that is a consequence of the unknown tech and culture trees.. I don't know how much farther it would be to Rock Bands, as I never revealed it.

I was able to stay in golden ages the whole way through, btw. That really helped expansion early, but didn't matter much the last 100 turns, and I was mostly annoyed that nothing helped culture, so I took policies that helped science and gold. Espionage not a factor - someone tried to kidnap Pingala but failed. Probably De Medici. I never built a spy.

Thanks for a fun game!

Attached Files:

Knowtalent and leif erikson like this.
  3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

T199/200 CV
    Dammit. missed first post
    I did not get a relic in any goodie huts so thought I would try a marathon single play game with dom/rock bands. (kill off all but the weakest who you just run over with rock bands)
    nowhere near efficient, I forgot things like Kilwa for my theaters until quite late... and the emire gets so big I just CBA
    Only Scotland left in the end which was quite early but finding Cold War was a nightmare, way too long down the list for a fast run.
    Spoiler :

Five, there was not many really great places and luxuries in the way of a multi city sdjacency group.
    It was not easy to prioritise with the random tree. It was all tactical prioritisation, it loses some of the subtleties of longer term beelining.
    Yes, The religion of Victorious took no cities but took the hearts and minds of young scottish people late in the game.
    Oh yes, a knight army one way and a musket army the other. TBH, muskets are just great.
    Kabul was and Antananarivo most of all. Not the greatest selection out there.
    Nope, not really. I play a lot on continents and islands. I guess the random tree surprises me how annoying it becomes.
    Yes, GOTM games are always interesting, far better than most random generated maps but that is no surprise. Thanks again
    Hate them, They make sense, after all you do not know what you are discovering before you discover it right? But it removes some planning and stability of overall plan.... I guess it is just what you are used to but to me the game is random enough without tech/civics also being so.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  4. IsabelBraganca

IsabelBraganca Chieftain

T274/CV
    I got a peaceful victory. I took Religious Settlement as Pantheon. I took Religious Settlement as Pantheon. I enhanced later with Cathedrals. I killed Roman religion shortly after he found it. I got an alliance and then attacked his religion.

I should have prioritized wonders with slots in my capital. I didn't need the room, seldom I had to wait to use a Great Writer or Great Artist, but if I have concentrated as many as possible there, Pingala would have boosted them. Also I should have built an art museum there and not an archeological museum. By the end I had two themed art museums and none of the archeological were themed.

Near the end I spammed neighborhood for shopping centers and renaissance walls. I could have built neighborhood before capitalism and just buy shopping centers with gold. Most of the walls I had built shortly before conservation taken advantage of a world congress resolution but I hadn't researched the tech for renaissance walls.

I built four nature reserves and settled one city just to send a trade route to France. I used Rock Bands at the end.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

kcd_swede and leif erikson like this.
  5. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

T299 Cultural Victory - 1546 points
    I didn't really try to rush and wanted a peaceful game, but I must say I still don't really get how you manage a fast CV ! I get how you get fast Religious, Domination and Science but CV still eludes me somehow.
    I didn't fight a single war (somehow ended up at war with France for one turn due to some city states shennanigans), founded 14 cities (last one just for a national park). Had a hard time getting national parks, safe for a early one, but got almost all the writers, artists and musicians (and a whole bunch of wonders)... Eiffel Tower helped for chemamulls and national parks.
    Got Divine Spark, and a religion that probably didn't make much difference except for helping get that faith for rock bands.

leif erikson and kcd_swede like this.
  6. Email10

Email10 Swedish Viking

I have finished the game with a Cultural Victory T229, but reloaded after some 100 turns due to really crappy city placement by me that spoiled the fun, so my score is out of competetion.

I played a completely peaceful game, focused early on some key wonders (Oracle, Apadana, Pyramids), got Religious Settlements as Pantheon and founded a religion that I spread all over my island. Mid-game I pushed Theatre Squares, and settled more land and even some of the islands around me. I focused a lot on ensuring Open Borders deals and Trade Routes to everyone for the +50% Tourism bonus. Yerevan helped me getting some Martyr Apostles that generated 2 Relics for me. I continued building Wonders and pushed my Tourism higher. A faster victory should definitely be possible if I would have fought Rome. They even had a couple of Golden Ages so that might have been fun to try out the Mapuche benefits, but I decided against it because I was busy building my glorious cities. In the end I spammed Ski Resorts on every mountain near me.

Even if the game was at a quite low level, it was interesting for me to understand better the concepts of Cultural Victory. I start to get a grip on how Tourism works now.

7. TheFinalChiTown

TheFinalChiTown Chieftain

CVT177

Plan was to increase appeal with Liang’s city parks and build as many Chemamull as possible. I wanted to build Big Ben to get for the flight eureka. Ended up building Oxford because Scientific Theory was the first industrial tech I unlocked. Also built Eiffel tower late.

Spoiler :

Settled 10, captured 16, flipped 1 (Cree)
    Techs: Writing, astrology, free trade, education, cartography, flight, computers.
    Civics: Mysticism (built Oracle as fast as possible so AI wouldn’t take it), PP, RH, Feudalism, Mercenaries, Theology, Civil Engineering (got it too late to help with Oxford), Suffrage.
    Yes built 3 holy sites. Took work ethic and holy order.
    Sort of mixed bag army to take out Rome and Cree. Two galleys and a quad to Brazil. Pedro put up a bigger fight than expected (aided once again by the -50% cost military resolution!). I had to upgrade to a Frigate before I could take Rio. Continued on to take a few cities from Norway, Scotland, and Macedon, but was mostly pillaging with Malon Raiders (bought with faith) at that point.
    Not really. I took out Kabul even though I was suzerain because I wanted the campus location. Armagh was ok. I built a couple monasteries.
    More competition for great scientists than expected. Was still able to get Galileo and Newton.
    Yes! Mostly because this is the first time I’ve ever used Liang’s city parks. They were fantastic. I’ll probably use them for Earth Goddess games in the future.
    - What do you think of the random tech/civ trees?
    Very interesting. I’d still like to play some regular tech tree games as well. Excited for more great people/heroes in the next patch.
    - Hindsight:
    Revealed horses too late, so my third city location was less than ideal. Wish I had built a few horsemen to take out Cree and Rome capitals earlier. I underestimated Pedro - had to retreat my navy to my territory for caravel upgrades before I could continue the war again.

Edit: Of note: I had 2 commercial hubs and 2 harbors (all +4) ready when free inquiry started.

Attached Files:

leif erikson and Victoria like this.
  8. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

CV 277. Peaceful game. Settled quite large areas and focused on science early to get Flight and win by chemamuls. Don't know how big a portion they actually provided of my tourism, as I ended up having TS in almost all cities anyways. IMO this is probably one of the worst civs.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  9. paulelowey

paulelowey Chieftain

Been a prowler of CivFanatics for years! And yesterday was my very first GotM. Can't believe it took me this long (and all the way to Civ6) before finally doing this. Was a ton of fun, and a great way to explore things you wouldn't normally be able to do on a Deity game. I look forward to trying out more of these. Now, onto my summary.

CV, T275. (around 1800AD I think)
    13 Cities.

Went heavily insular and infrastructure focused at the beginning. And if anyone happened across me they would get the royal treatment. Open Borders, favorable trade deals, and a friendship request as quick as I could get it. Keep them all as friendly as possible so I can just skip past any military builds (and I'm happy to say I finished this game with my original warrior, a second one I built early on to smash barbs, a single scout, 2 galleys (for the inspiration), and my Admiral granted Ironclad.

Chased after a couple of early wonders, failing to get the Great Bath even after a deer and woods chop (to make room for a Campus later on). But, managing still to get Hanging Gardens and Pyramids, Theatre, Campus, Gov't Districts, and Magnus all in place in the Capital quickly, I went on a Settler spree. I was building Settlers in 4-6 turns, and they all came with a free boosted builder and no loss to my Capital. Every city went straight to culture spamming. Kept my science just at par with the AI, and my economy nearly as strong as my culture. Built Trade Routes and rushed meeting everyone, making friends, allies, trade partners.

Never considered a religion. Took the Pastures/Culture pantheon. Spent my faith on Builders during a Golden Age. Then a Naturalist for a northern mountain range I couldn't establish as a National Park for some reason, and a single Rock Band (which somehow managed to last 4 concerts without getting an extra promotion).

A spammed out Wonders in almost all the cities. Didn't chase anything in particular. Just the ones that felt right for their city/placement. By the end, I was just spamming Theatre District activities across the empire to keep my churn of Great People coming in.

The mixed up Tech/Civic Tree was loads of fun. And super convenient to get into Democracy and then Digital Democracy. City States didn't really matter I felt.

Attached Files:

Victoria and leif erikson like this.
  10. Wolfenlane

Wolfenlane Chieftain

CV turn 285
    Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

11. arthur486

arthur486 Warlord

Culture Victory @T202 - all major civs alive and relatively well :mischief:
    Plan was to find Flight using an Industrial wonder and beeline it, and win the game with a combo of Chemamull & another city-state enabled building (Moai, Collossal Head, Alcazar)
    Conquered Armagh, Cardiff and Kabul, took several cities from Rome (left with 2 cities) and the Cree (left with 1 city). Totally peaceful game afterwards. Last 50 turns went in a blur, as it was basically a click-fest where I stopped paying attention :sleep:.

Here is the play by play:
    Spoiler Play by play :

T02 - Ngulu Mapu founded (1 NE)
    T05 - Met Kabul (+1 envoy)
    T09 - Met Cardiff (+1 envoy)
    T10 - Met Armagh (+1 envoy)
    T19 - Nag Mapu founded
    T23 - Pantheon founded (Earth Goddess)
    T27 - Barb camp at NW 'pacified', boosting Mil Trad, Era Score and money :)
    T34 - Mamull Mapu founded (on shore of Crater Lake - now +6 Faith wow)
    T40 - Iron Working completed, Iron pops exactly where the 1st Chemamull should be :)
    T41 - Met Poundmaker
    T49 - WAR on Armagh
    T52 - Armagh conquered
    T56 - Political Philosophy (Classical Republic, 27/25 Era Score)
    T61 - Classical Age (Golden, Monumentality)
    T64 - Met Rome
    T66 - WAR on Kabul
    T69 - Kabul conquered (1 Warrior lost)
    T70 - Puel Mapu founded
    T73 - Wente Mapu founded
    T74 - Hypatia recruited
    T78 - Met Mexico City
    T79 - Met Brazil
    T80 - Ina Pire Mapu founded
    T82 - Met Scotland
    T82 - Pehuen Mapu founded
    T83 - Met Vilnius
    T86 - Met Antananarivo
    T86 - Met Norway
    T86 - Pikun Mapu founded
    T86 - WAR on Cardiff
    T87 - Met Yerevan
    T88 - Cardiff conquered
    T91 - Met Venice
    T92 - Hildegard of Bingen recruited
    T93 - Met Alexander
    T93 - First circumnavigation!
    T97 - WAR on Rome
    T98 - Met Granada
    T98 - Met France (+5 Era Score, met everyone)
    T100 - Puteoli conquered
    T103 - Met Hong Kong
    T104 - Abu al-Qasim recruited
    T104 - Ravenna conquered
    T104 - Rangkuk Mapu founded
    T104 - Bandar Brunei met
    T106 - Medieval Era (Golden Age, Monumentality)
    T108 - Arretium conquered
    T108 - Peace with Trajan
    T111 - WAR on Cree
    T112 - Makwa-Sahakihan conquered
    T112 - Met Mitla (finally a Science CS!)
    T113 - Chadi Mapu founded
    T118 - Arretium rebels against me
    T119 - Mikisiw-Wacihk conquered
    T122- Pihtokahanapiwiyin conquered
    T126 - Mistawasis conquered
    T129 - Arretium rejoins
    T130 - Galileo Galilei recruited
    T146 - Flight completed (+145 Tourism)
    T152 - Willi Mapu founded
    T153 - Oxford University completed (but Flight already researched)
    T203 - Culture Victory (everyone is alive and well ... relatively)

Thank you 6otM team!

leif erikson likes this.
  12. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Warlord

Diplo turn 306. Playing on prince caused me to be over confidant and make some silly mistakes.

Attached Files:

13. elmagico

elmagico Chieftain

Diplomatic Victory: Turn 292

Turn 0: First impression: There are 2 victory conditions and the difficulty level is prince. Civ's choice wise I'm only interested in building the Chemamull. I have played with tech shuffle before and I liked it. I know I will win this game, the question is how? I have only played GOTM 95 and 96. Some players are real quick in achieving the objective.
    I also want to be as quick as possible (but I'm a 'prince'compared to those 'immortal' players, who considers himself a deity?....... Gameplay related I don't have a plan. I'm not sure, what's meant with "If you choose Culture all major civs must be alive if you win and you havent ressurected a civ keep playing until you do, that is your win turn", but I'm not looking for a cultural victory anyway.
    I'm heading for a diplomatic victory, since I think it is the fastest way to win. Let's play!

- Where did you settle your cities?
    I settled cities on my continent. Later on I settled cities to acquire luxury resources.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    I went for a religion ASAP.

- What was your build order?
    scout, scout, slinger, builder, holy site

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    T28: holy site finished.

- How did you place your districts?
    As efficient as possible

- Did you bother with Culture?? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    No, I went for a diplomatic victory from the start.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Nothing special, just maths.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

- Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Yes, to me they were. Rome and Poundmaker were in a fight. Poundmaker lost (some cities).

- Any surprises?
    Not really.

11 cities.

I prioritized all policies where I could get research boosts of. I scored 95% of the boosts.

Yes, because religion is useful in getting more faith, which is usefull for buying great people and bonuses (Feed the world, pagodas, pilgrimage, holy order)

I didn't have any enemies. They were all friends and allies.

As always they are. They are really (too) powerfull. Monasteries in the beginning!

I lost the chance of one extra vote, because of miscalculating the votes of others.
    I lost the chance of one extra vote, because of stupid voting choice of myself.
    I had 1 natural disaster, which awarded me two points.
    I had one competition which awarded me one points.
    If I played better, I could have won 30 turns ago, but on the other hand, I was lucky with the natural disastor mission.

I've learnt that a cultural victory is a quicker way to win the game than a diplomatic victory.

I really did! I played quite slow and I took time to understand the mechanics in the later part of the game.

I like it, because it fits a real-world situation, where you don't know what's next in life. Opposed to this, the random trees makes it less tactical.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  14. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

CV T155

Played this game late waiting for 6otM100.
    Tech shuffle made things interesting screwing some timings: delayed Governor titles and found Printing Press as the last Renaissance tech
    Tech shuffling really makes it harder to beeline

Bug: Bought 1 relic from Catherine for 1 DF
    AI: She however took her revenge not much later when she stole a GWoW from me T112! Even on deity I have never seen this. This must be because of a combination of early Castle through tech shuffle and Catherine's UA with the early spy.

Edit: Never noticed it before, but killing religious units also lowers city loyalty by 20. On deity, if the AI is spamming religious units, you could potentially flip cities without ever going to war!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    leif erikson likes this.
  15. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish.

16. TheFinalChiTown

TheFinalChiTown Chieftain