6otM07 Opening Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM07 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your city?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- Were there any early wars? Did you start them?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were your neighbors peaceful?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Well hell, that was fast. China wiped out my capital on turn 18. I had 2 warriors (one wounded by barbs) and a slinger vs 4 warriors.

Settled in place since the coast was too far for the initial start, thought I'd try for Stonehenge and I did find the wonder to the NE, so that could have been possible, but China had other ideas.

I'll play this again, but I won't submit.

The same thing happened to me in testing, but I managed to survive it and take all of China's cities. But it was a close call. :eek:

Sorry to hear that they got you. :(

Well hell, that was fast. China wiped out my capital on turn 18. I had 2 warriors (one wounded by barbs) and a slinger vs 4 warriors.

Settled in place since the coast was too far for the initial start, thought I'd try for Stonehenge and I did find the wonder to the NE, so that could have been possible, but China had other ideas.

I'll play this again, but I won't submit.
Same with me. Settled in place, had a scout and a warrior when China declared war. I managed to buy a Slinger, but it was not enough. I will start over.

Same with me. Settled in place, had a scout and a warrior when China declared war. I managed to buy a Slinger, but it was not enough. I will start over.
kkkkkkkkkk
In my second try, I survived China, but was destroyed by Gilgamesh. Tough neighbours. Will try one more time.

I also lost my first two tries turn 12. I didn't think it's necessary to start Slinger/Warrior first, was testing a scout first (to find a second continent and to find 3 city states to boost, in my last few games i failed to get these 2 important inspirations by not scouting enough). Also tried builder first because i have good tiles to improve fast (rice, stone, horses), but still got wiped out by China. Starting Slinger first the third time helped me survive and killed china after that by turn 70... Good to know that starting some military unit first is kind of necessary on high difficulty settings.

Defeat T 23.

I settled in place, and planned to build Slinger->Slinger-Builder->Slinger->Slinger. Never got the chance however.

China DOW on T11. They sent 4 Warriors! I was able to survive, and peace out with them on T20, thanks for the relic china. Unfortunately Sumeria declared war on T21, sent 3 warriors and a war cart. And eliminated me two turns later.

Not much else to say.

I guys got very bad luck. I settled 2 tiles to NW (Left from rice) Started with scout, then slinger, slinger and builder. No one attacked me. I Attacked China and in turn 60 and i have 4 cities ( 2 from China incl. their capital ) :)

China is aggressive!
Settled on spot.
Went my usual BO: Builder, Slinger x 4.
War started turn 11, managed to scramble my warrior next to the city, along with a slinger on other side, to soak up damage.
Capitol plus my units were all down to the red when they managed to kill two of the Chinese warriors, prompting them to sue for peace.
After that was attacked by France/Sumeria, staved that off and have since conquered China, for 8 cities total at 100 turns.
Way behind in all categories though...

Settled on the forest to the east to preserve the double rainforest for the campus on the marsh.

I got out an expansion to the southeast, near the tobacco. Hoped the mountains would protect me from war carts.

China DOWed me early, attacked my cap with a swarm of warriors, managed to fend him off with a couple of timely archer upgrades.

Expanded again to the northwest, right before Gilgamesh attacked and managed to take out my expansion in two turns with a horseman and 2 war carts. I counterattacked with archers and managed to get rid of his army because AI sucks at combat, but couldn't retake the city before he managed to get walls up.

Looks like I'll have to raise an army ASAP to retake some land. Not the best of starts...

Dead turn 26. Killed the war cart but the warriors got me.

Annoyingly I went back one turn and attacked instead of fortifying my warrior - and survived. I might play on from this point as a replay.

Settled between the stone and the horses to the north - decent starting production, 3 tiles to upgrade, a campus +2 spot in the 2nd ring and a good spot for a CD/Harbour combo.

Edit: Restarted, made roughly the same starting moves and played through to turn 84. I have 7 cities - 2 Chinese, 1 French, 2 built with captured settlers.

The map is pretty packed and there's a few settlers wandering around so instead of building settlers I've managed to put a bit of infrastructure down - 3 CDs, 1 Theatre and HS (captured), 2 IZs lined up for after Feudalism, 1 campus on track to get the 2nd GS. (Went Divine Spark as there wasn't much in the way of culture or production bonus tiles). A few monuments up too.

At turn 84 I'm teching Education and Feudalism, will aim for Machinery and Exploration next. Pretty good start considering the map if the rest of France falls easily - which it probably will after I upgrade my 6 veteran archer units to crossbows. Sumeria isn't much of a threat any more.

Really like this map after the shocker start - good crowd, lots of aggro, should keep it interesting for a while. Is it worth conquering Sumer and/or Russia too or just switching to full science?
Spoiler :

Last edited:
Where did you settle your city?
In place, crappy starting location but didn’t see anything worth moving for.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
Mining at first until I found close neighbours and yikes, war carts, so then bee line archery. gg
Beeline archery…

What was your build order?
Scout, slinger, slinger, dead.
Slinger, slinger, slinger, buy slinger,

Were there any early wars? Did you start them?
China DOW turn 14! gg
game 2.
Pushed warrior towards china, he didn’t DOW this time. Instead he went to war with france who took out lisbon and then i DOW china as soon as his HS was finished to pillage for a pantheon. I peaced him out after some more pillaging and took his lovely relic then turned my attentions back to france. I took back lisbon and moved in for his core cities with 3 archers and a scout. I took Rennes and then peaced out when I saw both his cities below with walls. He kindly gave me a small southern city of lyons with some cash.

I went home to deal with ridiculous barbarians… they had also just taken my settler. I finally won back my settler and a builder of mine and another of each belonging to sumeria and china but it wasn’t until turn 85 that i broke the camp just north of my capital --- it was pumping out a ton of horsemen and all of my original archers fell by the time they were cleaned up. Of course at that point I owned a lot of cities and was starting to put down districts, getting ready for the long end turn till spaceships...

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
It was a long time before I could get down any due to the tough start, I have 2 E, 2 building, 1 CD, 1 building, 1 ED because i felt like going for coloseum (24 turns, we’ll see…), 1 HD (french), 1 ID building. 1 C building.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
I settled the NW as soon as i could --- it's just so OP. From there I took lisbon and 2 cities from the french (lyon came in the peace deal). Once I had enough units out for those tasks I pumped a settler each from my 2 cities and locked out sumeria. I stole one settler the the barbs got from sumeria and another that they stole from china and currently have 9 cities. That said i’m about to thank the chinese for their service and add their 3 cities as machinery/mercenaries finish.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
Only preslav after the sacking of lisbon, so had to hard research polphi. I saw carthage pop up so i’m hoping to use him later. Currently holding 4 envoys.

Were your neighbors peaceful?
Lol.

How were the Barbarians?
Ridiculous. Horse barbs everywhere.

Any surprises?
Just the super agro early game, I’m interested to see how people deal with this. Also the start is pretty crap, no bingo tiles combined with the agro start really limit early growth.

I think that with some thought I could replay the opening much better but where's the fun in that! From here i feel pretty strong, going to be hard to lose.
Spoiler :
Screenshot (12).png

Last edited:
Ehh, damn this time the AIs are aggressive, got Chinese army at border at ard T5...
Starting position
animal hus-archery-mining
slinger-worker-archer-archer-archer
yeap, T10-now. I miscalculated the hp of the CS, when I try to steal the CS from Gil... Then, I dowed him, lured him to my cap and cleared all his army... then Chinese joins Gil's side, then France also...
till t40-50, Encampment +2 campus
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
a bit, growth at cap is a bit slow... so I kinda have to... I built another 2, captured 2, got another 3 from negotiation to make peace....
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
production +1 +30% worker 50% military production
I met Jakarta, which lead me to war with Gil.. then Preslav, who dow me with the Chinese... I captured Jakarta.
Nope, they are hyper aggressive and ******...
OKish.. Given that they almost take over China...
- Any surprises?
Hyper aggressive AI(Chinese) dow me with 1 spear 1 horseman and 1 chariot.... I tot Chinese should be peaceful and stick to wonders...

Settled on spot and bought some better tiles early.

Pottery->mining->irrigation to get the craftsmanship boost. Afterwards writing, bronze working, archery and currency to start cheap districts. For policies i mostly used urban planing, agoge and conscription. Discipline was invalueable to fend off those crazy barbs. Beelined for political philosophy (Classical Repuplic), following heurekas.

Builder->slinger->slinger->settler->slinger->slinger->monument->trader->mass slinger. Found a scout around t10.

They early game was completely insane and it took me forever to make the right decisions. I got DOWed by china around t15, while horsebarbs came from the southeast and slinger/fighter barbs from the west. I played it extremely safe and fortiefied my units behind the city on the hill/wood tiles. That way China had to fight the barbarians instead of me and i just casually left my safe spots for some lastshots. It still was very close and i lost my warrior at some point. Cleared most of the barbs and made China pay me for peace shortly after the settler was finished. I DOWed France to steal 2 settlers and killed some units to make her pay me as well. Sumeria DOWed me shortly after but i had 11 archers ready and made him beg for peace. I then started conquering China und was done doing so by t69.

I didn`t finish any districts yet, but i placed campi/CD as soon as pop allowed it. Got 2 HS and a TD from China. (MVP for science victory :D )

I got lucky and managed to steal a settler from China while scouting around with a scout i got from a goody hut. 1 more chinese settler in his capital after i conquered it and 2 random french settlers + building quite a few on my own made me have 11 cities and 1 settler by t69.

I only met Jakarta so far. My scout was busy fighting barbs/stealing settlers. I`m planning to get 2 galleys asap to cross the ocean with the norwegian UA.

No, this was the most tense early game i had in civ 6.

On the one hand extremely annoying, on the other hand they actually did all the fighting for me against China. I don`t know if i could have survived with 2 slingers before settler if not for the barbs.

- Any surprises?
Extremely dense area, aggressive AI`s and raging barbs. French settlers randomly strolling around. Bad city state situation. I`m planning to play this very domination heavy to get secure borders and more room asap.

Attachments

• 20170117061830_1.jpg
    20170117061830_1.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
I was able to improve the rice 2 or 3 turns before the DOW. The copper was in a safe position and waiting with the 3. was the plan all along because i wanted to keep discipline until the settler was finished. (stopped teching at 50%) I improved the 3. tile in the exact same turn the settler came out and switched to agoge.

Offtopic: could someone explain me how to put screenshots into spoiler tags? Thanks!:goodjob:

Last edited:
Use the icon 2 right of the image icon (to the left of the camera icon) and choose insert spoiler:)

[ SPOILER ][ /SPOILER ]

Or use tags as above without the spaces

Top Bottom