1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM09 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Feb 14, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM09 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - Did you try to build Stonehenge? Were you successful?
    - When did you start your religious wars?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Who did you send to the dustbin of history?
    - What did you build for an Army and how did it change?
    - Did you use diplomacy? How?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Quick preface - but this should probably not count as an official submission. My original game kept crashing on turn 40 so I had to reset and start over. I tried to keep things consistent and played mostly the same moves and builds.

Religious Victory on turn 218 in 1535 AD with a score of 315

Religion

I founded the 4th religion somewhere around turn 50. Stonehenge was surprisingly still on the board at turn 40 so it seemed easily doable on this map but I still considered it too much of a gamble. I selected stone circles for the pantheon because stone was everywhere. For religious beliefs I started with Religious Community and Holy Order then rounded out with World Church and Mosques.

Build order was: Scout, builder, slinger, settler, holy site, shrine, slinger, holy site players with another holy site as the first build in my second city.

Early Turns: My early strategy was all geared toward founding a religion. I beelined for early empire to get the settler boost to take advantage of all the stone NW of the capital and then beelined for political philosophy to play the card for extra great prophet points. The scout build payed major dividends because there were so many city states nearby - I think I got 4 envoys out of it but I found Jerusalem a little too late. Then I focused a little bit on expansion to get 7 cities total by turn 100. The surrounding area was poor for faith bonuses so I just stopped building cities once I had 8 and transitioned to apostle/missionary spam.

City States: I focused on Kumasi at first and combined with Spain's continent bonus for trade routes so gold was never an issue in this game. I also suzerained Valetta early to rush buy buildings and walls with faith. In the late game I was putting most envoys to Kumasi and Jerusalem but Kongo and Arabia kept turning them.

Government - I beelined for reformed church after political philosophy but it took some time to get there. I stayed in theocracy for the remainder of the game with scripture, simultanem, and religious orders cards in place when available. I did get an extra economic slot by purchasing Adam Smith (one of my few Great People).

Ending: It took longer than I expected. I kept getting lousy promotions on my apostles. I'm still not sure how that works but you seem to have less options as the game progresses. I think I only managed to get two proselytizer promotions and I lost one of them to a barbarian caravel that came out of nowhere. The other one I put to good use. I converted Kongo early and then focused on Arabia and Egypt because they were the most annoying with apostles and missionaries. Egypt converted Japan early so they had a strong religious presence but the other religions didn't gain too much traction. I don't think I built a campus until well after turn 100 so it took me some time to progress to ship building but I made sure to trigger the Eurakas for all the sailing related techs. After that it was basically just move to city with some religious combat mixed in. I managed to avoid war for the entire game somehow (it sure wasn't because of diplomacy) so conquistadores never came into play. I did unlock the inquisition achievement and it was fairly useful for stopping opposing religious units from moving through my territory to get to the other continent.

Thanks for posting the game! I hadn't had the chance to try out Spain yet and have very few religious games so far so it was a fun combination. I think Spain is pretty strong all around on continents maps and that trade route boost has a big impact in the early game.

Attached Files:

3. peurojoque

peurojoque Chieftain

I've been following GOTM for a while, starting with CiV a bit less than year ago, but this is my first submission. I'm not really good at keeping notes and, sometimes, can't bear losing a veteran unit and reload. Shame, I know :)

Religious victory T255 1720AD, score 314

This being an Emperor game, I decided to try for Stonehenge. I always go for a Scout first, so, after looking around and finding only vast empty spaces, plenty of city states and no natural wonders, I built a couple Builders and chopped myself a nice shiny wonder. On turn 35 I got the Stone Circles pantheon and the first religion too (Divine Inspiration/Holy Order).

How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled 6 before T100 and captured none.

Did you try to build Stonehenge? Were you successful?

Yes, I was.

When did you start your religious wars?
    Right after settling Barcelona next Kumasi to block the passage through the mountain range (T97), I was invaded by waves and waves of Arabian Missionaries. I didn't have enough Apostles yet to fight them all off, so for a while I was defending myself. When I had enough Apostles I went into offensive mode and converted every single city on my landmass by T186.

What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Half Astrology-Mining-Pottery-finish Astrology-Irrigation-Animal Husbandry just in case (it was a peaceful start, but who you never know), after that I was switching between top and bottom to get Cartography and Gunpowder making the most use of the eurekas.
    As for Civics, the usual beeline to Political Philosophy, Feudalism, then Divine Right (I wanted Mont St. Michel). After that I was going after Theocracy but it was no rush. Only got it on T154 and stayed with it until the end. I was using the cards to maximize my faith and gold output most of the time.

Who did you send to the dustbin of history?

Haven't fought a single war during this game. Mvemba was practically in love with me from the start as I converted him immediately, I was expecting hordes of Mamluks as Saladin kept denouncing me, but he was too busy fighting territorial wars. As were the rest of them.

What did you build for an Army and how did it change?
    Only built one Slinger at the start, then a few more later on. The neighbors weren't a threat. When preparing for my voyage overseas I built a few Knights and Conquistadors, had a serious navy and Medic Apostles at the ready. My army didn't see any action over the course of a thousand years.

Did you use diplomacy? How?

No, only trade, I wasn't even looking at others' agendas.

Were City-States helpful?
    Very. I met most of my neighbors early, so it was a pretty strong start. I wasn't pursuing the quests, but somehow managed to get quite a few of them, so I saved my envoys. I found Jerusalem late, but it had an easy quest so I got it easily and kept on my side for the rest of the game.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Emperor is easy, but I wasn't expecting a completely peaceful game (though I was hoping for it). Even the Barbs were docile, although Kongo and Arabia had a couple horse camps next to their borders. I probably could have finished it a lot quicker, but didn't want to.
    By the time I reached Japan, it was overwhelmed with rebelling AT crews and Cavalry, so my Apostles had to sneak in. Fortunately, I had more than 200 faith per turn at the time and a few Frigates to help clear the way and keep the supply. At the endgame I lost a few turns due to Cleo re-converting Brazil all the way across the continent while I thought I had them in the pocket.
    On a sidenote, a bad surprise was that the Apostles stop getting promotions after a while - a bug, I thought, Firaxis had fixed by now. It makes them very expensive, fortunately, I could afford it.

Did you enjoy the game?
    Very. Finished it in one evening. There was a point when it seemed like a drag, just pumping out Apostles and marching them across the sea but overall I liked it. Made me want to try Spain on a higher difficulty and make proper use of Conquistadors and Treasure Fleets.

Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

4. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Kept crashing T70-T71, gave up, wasn't doing very well anyway, even for my poor standards.

5. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

Turn 204 Religious Victory! with only 286 points.

Settled 10 Cities. 8 on my home continent and 2 on South America. Captured 0 cities

Didn't try. Got 3rd religion on turn 64 - while watching the Great People screen carefully.

Turn 105 Kongo was converted to Catholicism with Missionaries
    Turn 143 Arabia became majority Catholic (after some Apostle battles north of Jerusalem and in Arab territory)
    Turn 147 Arabia 100% Catholic (including Islamic holy city)
    145-151 Conversion of Brazil (uncontested)
    154 First conversion of Indian city
    163 First conversion of Egyptian city
    165-180 Major Religious battles vs. Hindu units in and around India with 2 city conversions
    181-191 Spain surprise DoW on India from our colony of Murcia northeast of Delhi putting numerous Hindu religious units to the sword. Their deaths led to the conversion of 2 more cities and India becoming the 5th Catholic nation
    190 (after Indian conversion but before peace) successfully completed Catholic conversion of a majority of Greek cities
    196 Conversion of 3rd Japanese city on far west of Zealandia for Catholic Civ #7
    204 Finally converted Shedet (Egypt) for the win

My research was actually very light. I'm 7th place in Techs and 8th place in Civics.
    I focused, but didn't beeline to Cartography (Ocean embarking) and Gunpowder (Conquistadors) as well as Reformed Church (Theocracy) and Exploration (Missions)

No one. It was mostly a peaceful game.

Knights, Conquistadors and Crossbowmen. It was very light until the war with India, and then I faith purchased quite a few units - including some units back home to defend against Hong Kong who India made their Suzerain mid-war.

Alliances with Kongo and Brazil - everyone else was displeased with my religious interference and then my DoW on India. I wanted Brazil to joint DoW India with me (they had been to war in the past) but that option wasn't in the deal screen. I'm curious what the restrictions on even offering Joint War are. Early on Kongo was willing to enter a joint war against Arabia with me - but I didn't need it.

A little bit. I met a lot of them first, so got the free Envoy early. Jerusalem of course gave me lots of extra faith, but took a lot of resources to make sure it stayed out of Arabia's hands. The rest were minor players at best.

I was surprised that I didn't actually have more of a war footing. I think this was a combination of my low tech, leading to getting Conquistadors late, and semi-peacefully converting the first few civs. I only had religious battles with 2 civs, and real warfare only broke out once. Although I had a goal of capture/converting in India with my Conquistadors it was unnecessary by the time I had them ready to go. Just putting their Apostles and Inquisitors to the sword was enough to finish the job.
    I was also surprised at how I much I mostly ignored Tech and Civics (2 late campus districts, 4 monuments, 0 theater districts) and yet still always felt in complete control of this game. 9 of my 10 cities had Holy Sites, 8 of which had all 3 buildings.

Very much so. My only minor disappointment was not fully engaging with Spain's UU.

Spoiler :

Images are form turn 205 where I was doing my post-game write up.
    20170220104325_1.jpg

20170220104745_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. CappyAA

CappyAA Chieftain

I finished my game this weekend and will write it up tonight or tomorrow, but this probably cut 10-15 turns off my win. Maybe I don't play religious games enough to know, but I didn't realize that barbs could insta-kill my apostles. :undecide:

I sent a few to the other continent but didn't micro-manage their trip overseas. There were barbs-a-plenty on the other continent due to all the warring the AI was doing against one another. So I lost a few when landing. Unfortunately, I didn't even realize that I lost them until after I lost a few. I just happened to think that I had a few more apostles than I did, and looked through the notifications before figuring out what happened. Ah well. :)

7. dthompson32

dthompson32 Chieftain

First of all, this submission doesn't count. My first try I got to turn 183, tried to start a war and quickly found out that my units weren't effective and the terrain and dozens of CS units made it impossible to move. I gave up and restarted in frustration.

Turn 250 Religious victory (doesn't count)

Total of 8 cities built, I didn't capture any. Getting a few cities up against the eastern mountains were helpful for campus and holy site bonuses. Also cutting Arabia off from that eastern pass was tactically a good move. My 2nd city for a harbor wasn't a great location, I couldn't get production going in it and getting Cartography took way too long. But in the end it was obvious I would win, even though it was a slog. I had so many cities producing so much faith that the other civs had no chance of stopping me. I built a city by the Galpagos for science that might have been a waste of time since it took so long to get going.

Yes, it worked out as planned, I was able to find a natural wonder and build SH quickly. But even so, my capital was tied up until turn 37, that was longer than I wanted for getting the second city up.

I didn't try to convert Arabia by force until after I had build Mont Saint Michel probably 170 turns in. I had a couple Apostles with the +20 attack that I used to wipe out Arabia's religious units, then converted his main cities. I used them on Egypt at the end of the game too. I spent most of the game building my religious infrastructure, then once I had Reformed Church I was generating over 250 faith per turn and churning out a new apostle every other turn.

Mostly tried to stay in the ancient and classical ages as long as I could to build settlers and districts. Once my cities were up, which took longer than I wanted (too many cities?) to pushed up to get Divine Right, then Theocracy, and finally Reformed Church. The last one, with the holy site bonuses and the combat bonus card made my faith boom. Also my first attempt I didn't prioritize getting to Cartography, I didn't realize how important that would be. My second attempt I tried to maximize my tech path to get there and I was the first to put units in the water, that was a huge benefit because I was able to get Brazil converted while I was still building my religious infrastructure.

No one. I had Kongo, Arabia, and Brazil declare on me at the end, but only Kongo was a potential threat since he had such a huge tech lead. Fortunately he didn't have many units to attack me with.

Only minimal units. I went 150 turns with a warrior and 3 archers. I had 2 galleys but barbs sunk one while trying to map the other continent. I didn't even know Egypt was in the game until I had 5 of the other civs converted.

Other than using the fact that Kongo likes his cities converted, I ignored diplomacy.

Hugely helpful. Since I was first to a religion I was able to take pilgrimage. With so many city states generating +2 faith per turn, I was able to spam out missionaries early in the game, then later build an army of apostles. Jerusalem could have been interesting with its position and unique bonus, but I kept fighting Arabia for it.

I didn't know barbs could instakill my apostles until I lost one to a stupid quad. After that I had to hunt down a camp and keep my apostles in deep water. Still lost two more to caravels though. I don't care for that dynamic.

I thought I would need conquistadors, turned out they were a waste of time. That is a unique unit they can send back to the drawing board, it just isn't better than an apostle.

On the second attempt yes. My first try I hated it because it was messy and reminded me why I don't play religion. In the end it made me play to my first religious victory and I learned how to do it. I'll probably play the GOTM a couple times again to see how the civics tree can be better optimized. I now see that Reformed Church is very important and I'd like to see if I can improve my path.

Attached Files:

8. RaidandTrade

RaidandTrade Chieftain

214 Religious Victory

After the first 100 turns I had a pretty solid platform for religious domination. Arabia was the most resistance. I could have started the campaign on the other continent earlier - I had 6,800 faith at the end of the game. I did achieve the Spanish Inquisition but was so far ahead at that point that the inquisitors did nothing.

Spoiler :
    Turn 215.png

Completely peaceful. Settled 7 cities relatively quickly then 2 more later in the game. Mostly low population with the largest at 8 or 9, a few around 6 and the rest 3s and a 1.

Yes. No.

Just before Theocracy. Took a bit to get through Arabia and was expecting similar resistance on the other continent so took a bit longer. I swam some missionaries to Brazil while tackling Arabia as Brazil had no religion. Plan was to build some faith and use the Pilgrimage benefits to bank a bit and get a bit of passive spread to India who also didn't have a religion.

I had planned to settle a city on the other continent and build a holy site, etc. to spawn units from there. While I did end up settling there, I ended up swimming two forces of Apostles and Missionaries over and converting my way across the land.

Main aim was to get to Theocracy. After that, it really didn't matter. I built Mont St Michel but only picked up one relic out of it. Gorgo actually traded me her relic for 2 luxuries around turn 120 - nice given I had Reliquaries! My 3 relics gave me 36 FPT.

Nobody. This was peace and love.

"Kevin", my starting warrior, was my sole military unit for most of the game. I did train "George", another warrior and spent a couple of Heathen Conversion charges to get three horsemen. Aside from the initial barbarian conflict in the first 100 turns, no action for any of them.

I friended Kongo and Brazil so didn't really have to worry about the economy.

In the early stages having two cultural CS's sped up getting to Theocracy. I tried to invest in Jerusalem but Arabia had them locked down all game. Trying for Jerusalem cost me others but I'd had my benefits at that point.

I was expecting more religious conflict but, aside from Arabia, my Apostles and Missionaries were almost entirely unopposed.

Did you enjoy the game?

Religious is my least favourite VC but this was still an enjoyable game that largely went according to plan. Next time I probably won't bother with the city on the other continent as I didn't really need it. (The holy site didn't even come on-line before the end of the game).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2017
  9. EthelredTheUnready

EthelredTheUnready Chieftain

Edit: RV turn 203 - Warren Harding (513 points if I remember) - shouldn't count for awards since I read this thread before completing. Thought the conquistador data point might be interesting.

I doubt I'll finish since the new patch has been released so I'll just give a quick summary up to abandonment.

Start was very quiet since the city states keep the barbs away and my early units had no AI to attack. In retrospect, I should have attacked a few more of the city states. I got the second to last religion - Saladin founded right after me. Saladin used missionaries much more effectively than me and converted most of the continent including Jerusalem while I played around. Although, I screwed up and helped by buying a missionary in the wrong city right after Saladin converted it. Gave up on religious battles and prepared to eliminate Saladin. Mansa forward settled the passes through the mountains so I had to declare on Mansa and take a few cities before attacking. Then on to the elimination of Saladin. After a few inquisitors and apostles, I have converted my cities, Mansa's cities and the CSes at about turn 125.

Science and culture are slow since I focused my early cities too much on religion. About turn 150 - gunpowder and cartography researched and my army (conquistador, xbow, knight, and cat) leaves former Arabia into the unknown. I knew Japan, India, Egypt, and Brazil were in the game from my envoy with Mansa but haven't met any. Mansa is the runaway tech and culture leader so I'm hoping to steamroll the other continents. With only 4 cities and little production (he covered his few hills with wonders) I don't think he'll be much of a threat for a space race. The primary worry - he was covered his lands with farms and will soon start spamming tons of advanced rebels.

About turn 160 - capture Sendai. I have my beach head in the new world and upgrade catapults to bombards. Xbow upgrades will be next splurge. The plan is to convert half the cities with conquistadors and turn the other half through religious war. I have papal legacy and suzerainity of Jerusalem and Amsterdam so I'm producing ~150faith/turn and ~100gold/turn. A second army is forming to head west from my capital but the main plan is to rush buy religious and military units on the main continent with my original continent running commercial and religious projects. Toku's holy sites will soon be mine and I can start spamming apostles to convert probably Egypt and Greece. I assume Japan, India, and Brazil (they stole Catholicism from under me for a themed game) will be converted primarily by the sword.

It's update time so I'll have to leave it here. I'll attach a save later if its readable after the patch.

Edit

I ended up completing the game. The end wasn't very exciting. Japan, Greece, and Egypt had founded religions (thought Brazil had founded Catholicism but it was Egypt and usually assume Ghandi has a religion.) Japan had converted Egypt and Greece so almost all the continent was Buddhist. I captured Japan's main cities with conquistadors and eliminated Greece (3 big cities). The other civs I converted. There was little religious combat and Egypt was the only trouble.

I liberated Memphis from Japan and gave it back to Egypt. I felt the conversion and gift were okay since I hadn't captured the city originally to abuse the mechanic. I didn't know Egypt still had an inquisitor who proceded to reconvert Memphis and Nekhen after I had burned a bunch of religious units. Spamming religious units was starting to get expensive to finally convert Egypt.

RV turn 203 - Warren Harding - using conquistadors really saved me a lot of turns by reducing the city count to convert and letting me spam missionaries in Japanese and Greek territory.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  10. cheffster

cheffster Deity

RV turn 232, score of 739

- Where did you settle your city?

on spot

- Did you try to build Stonehenge? Did you succeed?

Yes, also managed to build oracle with no contest from the AI

- Did you prioritize religion in your first 100 turns, how?

Only a little bit. I built a holy site + shrine/temple/mosque asap in capital, 2 apostles to evangelize and enough missionaries to spread my religion as much as I could, However my MAIN focus was expansion. I took very slow and thoughtful turns, managed to steal 3 builders and 2 settlers as well as build up enough of an army to conquer Mvemba before turn 100. I also got VERY lucky and found a holy artifact around turn 30 for +4 faith/turn as well as 2 scouts from goodie huts)

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

I researched the necessary techs and civics for rapid expansion.

- What was your build order?

slinger->builder->slinger->settler->slinger->2 scouts (from huts) and 2 builders (1 stolen from Mumba, 1 from Saladin) ->stonehenge->settler->oracle.

- Were there any early wars? Did you start them?

yes, I only stayed at war with Saladin for 10 turns after stealing a builder and was at almost constant war with Mumba (Around turn 60 he was being heavily invaded from barbs so I bought a couple military units and was easily able to take his 3 cities (while stealing a settler on DoW turn from my scout)

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

Since I didn't need a super early holy site with the religious artifact I built stonehenge/oracle and about 4-5 settlers before completing any districts. On the first turns they were available however I started district construction to minimize inflation and get them for the cheapest possible price. After finishing 1 holy site I prioritized commercial hubs in each of my cities to get the gold flowing and taking advantage of the 3 - envoy bonus (+4 gold/con hub) I have with Amsterdam.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Yes, as I already talked about I spent many hours contemplating during my early turns to expand as rapidly as possible and got up to about 14 cities and 2 settlers en route for more cities at t100.

I was hoping that i could have won in the first 200 turns but it ended up taking much longer then I anticipated.
    The last 40 turns or so I had converted enough cities on the visible world map and thought I would get the victory around turn 175.
    However it turned out India had 3-4 cities hiding in the upper corner of the continent 25-30 hexes away on the 1 part of the world map i hadn't explored.

When I thought I had won after finally converting India - Egypt surprised me and had converted back a few of their cities back when earlier it had shown my religion was dominant there.
    While I'm still happy with my #turns, I could have played so much better in last 50 turns had I paid more attention to those things.

It ended up I had to spend a frustratingly long time moving up all my units to fully explore the map and convert Egypt a 2nd time before I could finally finish this gotm and download the patch.

--------------

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  11. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

RV turn 256 1725AD score 258
    I was unable to establish a beachead on the other continent, so that all my apostolic majesty was delayed by several turns swimming. Otherwise, suprisingly easy victory for this level.

Attached Files:

12. Saykor

Saykor Chieftain

Religious Victory on turn 213 with points 279

I build 9 cities. No capture but 2 is from enemy settlers.

Not try at all

Nobody.

Almost everyone like me so yes i use diplomacy to trade.

Yes. I suze religious and economic city-state.

Thank you to Arabia to kill Kongo :)

Especially after I capture barbarian settler and build a city in the middle of second continent. Was very interesting to popup apostles from there.

Attached Files:

13. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Religious victory turn 242 (score 525 points). I seemed to make wrong choices at almost every turn in this game. In particular:- (i) I failed to expand early into the “protected zone” bordered by the CS, (ii) I decided to foster rather than conquer these CS (most of which seemed quite useful), (iii) I overlooked the option to evangelise an Apostle for mosques (extra religious spread) for far too long and (iii) I allowed Kongo to thrive unmolested for most of the game (and boy, did they thrive!). By turn 180 I looked to be in serious trouble:- both Kongo and Egypt had aerodromes while I was barely pushing into the Renaissance era with barely-adequate faith output. Conquistadors (and bombards) saved the day, allowing me finally to break through the Arabian defensive line and run amok in the flat lands beyond. The Arabian conquest brought me science, culture and money, but precious little extra faith. I also still had a small Arabian conclave left to convert. I was pushing out Apostles at a steady rate by this time, sending them off to explore the new continent or converting Kongo. This new land was heavily populated with cities having well-established religions (groan) but fortunately I met little religious opposition as my Apostles began to pick off the Holy Site cities in Brazil. I invaded Japan from my Arabian base to establish a land foothold on this second continent, which allowed me to deliver Apostles to the religious frontline more quickly as the game progressed. It also gave me the Hagia Sophia for extra religious spread. Sparta mounted a spirited religious defence, using inquisitors to reconvert their cities at one point, but I could see victory on the horizon so long as peace was maintained. The major problem was Kongo, which had been pushing out 300+ tourism-per-turn for a long time and had reached the 50% world tourist barrier which sent alarm bells ringing. They also had aircraft. I was fairly confident I could conquer Kongo if necessary, but nervous that a DoW might trigger wars elsewhere and disrupt my religious expansion. Looking at the relative progress towards victory types, I reckoned I would need to start this war (using artillery/balloons, cavalry, highly-promoted conquistadors and my fledgling biplane airforce) around turn 245 if my religious conquest stalled. Fortunately this did not happen as my Apostles did their work well in the end.

Not my finest hour by any stretch of the imagination, but a victory nonetheless. I managed to form a brief alliance with Brazil mid-game. Brazilian warmongering in the early game put mine to shame:- they conquered India (2 cities) and considerably reduced Sparta before I had even started on my Arabian adventure. The disappearance of India might help explain why I was able to found a religion fairly late without much challenge.

As for Spain, I can see why they are not rated very highly on the forums. All their attributes are situational, even the mighty conquistador (potential + 14 strength!!) needs a religion for its bonus to work. Converting cities by conquest is also rather counter-intuitive for Religious victory, unless converted cities are returned to their original (or new) owners at a later date. I took this to be an exploit so didn’t do it here, although I did leave my Japanese cities unprotected in the vain hope that an AI might reconquer them if war broke out. The mission is quite handy, especially if you are able to plant them next to captured foreign capitals with a nearby campus (+4Faith, +1Science is strong). The continental boundaries on this map were quite well placed for the trade bonus but I didn’t think the boosts were very strong overall (although my first trade route to Amsterdam did provide a valuable cash bonus at a key point in the game). I didn’t make any fleets or armadas at any stage of the game.

Attached Files:

14. Joatman

Joatman Chieftain

Religious Victory, Turn 247, Score of 256

6 Settled, no captures. Never had any war declaration.

Yes, built Stonehenge. My strategy was simple, get a religion first and build up faith as fast as possible while maintaining minimal amount of defense and income.

Mainly anything that helped generate faith. Tried to have a full up faith district in every city. Placed cities so as to minimize travel distance for apostles. I neglected most everything else, except for defense in case Arabia got squirrely early on for converting them. Converted Congo first so that I could stay allies with them for most of the game. This would ensure good trading B/W us, and maybe help with defense a bit as others would be a bit more wary to take us both on. Then focused on converting my continent (Arabia) so I could send my legion of Apostles across the sea stress free.

No one really, IMO I kind of scraped up a victory here...I thought I had a crappy score but it seems to be average here. Although I easily dominated religion by mid game, I was pretty weak everywhere else, and even with my seemingly well though out defensive measures I feel I could have easily been taken out Militarily or drowned out by a neighboring culture with a smarter AI.

Minimalist army, mainly ranged at cities and encampments where I thought I needed them. No one declared on me. Had a few extra mobile units for barb control.

Yes, I definitely made it a priority to keep Congo happy early on. They grew fast and would have been my first major threat and drawback, so using conversion to befriend them first was a double barrel tactic that served me well (see above).

Not really, I got envoys where I could but I didn't retain suz status for long. Tried to convert the ones that wanted it for that boost, but otherwise didn't pay them much attention. I did try to use Jerusalem to convert Arabia early on to ease my conversion there later, not sure if it really helped or not in the end.

Not really, other than the Epic Force of Inquisitors that Egypt had stashed (for some reason well never know) in a formerly uncovered city that I found late game. They killed off a few of my Apostles, but it still wasn't enough to stop my Catholic tidal wave.

Very much, this was my first GOTM back since Civ V, looking forward to more! I'm going to go back and play the others just to be caught up, I know I cant upload them but what the hell.

Attached Files:

15. curtb12345

curtb12345 Chieftain

Religious victory T201

Settled a couple early to get iron.

Yes - my goal was early Stonehenge then domination for a while getting towards Conquistadors.

Only at the end.

Astrology then get Conquistadors then get across the ocean.

Arabia and Egypt.

3 Slingers at the start due to the quick to Archers help. Then a handful of warriors to get Conquistadors. .

Nope

Yes - took over culture cities near me after I used them a bit. Tried to Suz the rest as needed.

Lots of quick city states that I met first. That was unexpected. The issue of whether you can get to all civs without ocean crossing is always a toss up and slowed this win down a lot.

Did you enjoy the game?
    Yes. My first GOTM. I like optimizing rather than the once through but this turned out OK with my original strategy of Stonehenge - Conquistadors - then do a combo convert by taking and convert by religion. More emphasis on religion and ocean travel would have sped this up a lot.

Attached Files:

16. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Chieftain

Too bad i didnt make it. Should be done around 120-130.

The Short story
    I started simply producing slingers into archers, send them to conquer the other 2 on continent. Conquered some holy sites like that, built a few more and added monuments and campuses as well. Gotten 3 envoys with amsterdam and stockholm, then 6 with jeruzalem.

On turn 82 i upgraded 12 knights and send them across oceans, 6 on either side of my continent. It is turn 100, the first 5 cities there are down, 2 are in my possession for upgrading warriors, archers and forest cutting conquistador/holy site.
    Gotten 3 conquistadors on the other continent as well by turn 100 and have grown faith output and inquisition so that i can but a bunch of religious units for the cities that i cannot burn.

Only after my knights were sent out did i start producing a few settlers to quickly forest cut myself some extra holy sites while i allied jeruzalem. Didnt think i need the extra faith really, but there was nothing better to do.

The Questions
    Spoiler :

I captured 6 on my own continent and settled a handful later.
    Then i started razing/capturing/converting the other side.

no

I raze rather and conquer more than convert, started doing so from the beginning.

Cartography - Stirrups - Gunpowder.
    Half off unit upgrades - Temples

Probably everyone but Arabia and Brazil will die.

First 2 armies of 5 archers + 1 warrior for own continent.
    Then 2 armies of 6 knights + siege tower for other continent.
    Then added conquistadors on other continent by forest cut and upgrading the starting warrior.

Nope

Yes very nice to have all those 1 envoys in the early game.
    Then 3 envoys in stockholm to help me get my tech goals
    Then 6 envoys with jeruzalem to get the faith needed to convert what will be alive after conquest.

Not really.

Did you enjoy the game?
    Yes.

The long story:
    Spoiler :

LONG TERM PLANS

As usual I will start with conquering my neighbors with archers+warriors. Hopefully they will finish holy sites before I take them so that I wont have to bother with that religious crap myself. Still ill make sure to be ready to research astronomy if needed. I don't however care about getting much faith initially. Just getting a religion is my only worry for the early game and I want to make the minimum investment needed to get it.

My end goal is to conquer most of the world with knights, convert some capitals and burn insignificant cities to the ground to keep my ratio of religious cities up. Ill keep 1 or 2 enemies alive and convert them peacefully. The key to victory is thus to get an army to the other continent(s). The key techs are cartography and stirrups. Ill get cartography first so that I can scout ahead. By the time stirrups comes, I want to have at least 6 chariots and 1 siege tower ready to upgrade and move. If it works out, I want to build a second 6 chariots before I get stirrups so that I can upgrade those too, even if its a little later. I will keep my eyes open for the potential option to upgrade my units on the other continent if there seems to be a really weak town that I take with some ancient units I might have hanging around.

Assuming my home continent will be conquered before Stirrups, After my armies have set sail to other continents, I wont have much to do at home so I can then spend my production capacity to generate faith which is a global resource and can be used to buy religious units on the other continent. If my home continent is not conquered before stirrups, that shall not be a reason to delay moving to the other continent, I can still continue either conquest or conversion after my armies have sailed out.
    While my armies are at work, Ill see if I get to add a conquistador when gunpowder becomes available. It doesn't seem terribly important to me though.

For sending out these armies I need:

-Cartography, Construction, Stirrups.

-Gold for upgrades

-1 of 3: Mercenaries civic, a lot more gold, or ~10 turns delay by hand building some or all of the knights.

Looking at my previous continent games, I imagine the tech part should be possible around turn 70 with an “empire” producing some 30ish science at that time. The production for chariots seems super easy. The hard part is will be getting either mercenaries or a massive amount of gold. Im guessing the most likely chance of success is getting the gold out of peace deals icm some commercial zones.

The previous game saves im looking at however were for science victories and I was trying to pretty much ICS my continent, by turn 70 I had invested a lot in settling cities that were not really contributing much yet. Since this time I am not looking for a shorter game, I dont need those cities. Therefore, I wont need to build a crap load of settlers after I get conquest going. Instead, I can right away start producing districts and/or monuments.

FIRST 20 TURNS

It would be nice to get 2 harbors for cartography as well as some galleys for seafaring. As I don't intent to settle many, if any cities, it would be really nice if the capital could build a harbor. Being unsure if the water on the south is really connected to the oceans, that would require us to move W. The tile west is not really any better or worse than the start tile and we can still settle in the same turn.

Another option is to move NE and get 2 good tiles in the start radius. This unfortunately eliminates the harbor option and it would cost 1 turn to move. I value this extra early production very highly as it will get my capital going much faster and more effective so I choose for this option.

I start producing slingers while researching archery. Having archery half finished, I switch to Pottery. By turn 20, my slingers manage to get a barb kill, finishing Archery. Unfortunately, they will need another 2-3 turns to get back home for an upgrade. Meanwhile my warrior has found Mbanza Kongo, he will scout the surroundings there till the archers arrive.

During these first 20 turns, my warrior opened some huts giving me a scout a citizen and some gold. I met a whole bunch of CSes and got free envoys with each of them so culture got of to an awesome start and some production and gold bonus doesn't hurt either.

TURN 20-40

After sending out my first combat group of 5 archers on turn 22, it is time to start thinking about some city development. I want to lay down the foundations of districts as soon and cheap as possible. So I research Astrology – Mining – Pottery – Writing – Currency. Mining is used to build 2 workers who do some tile improvements and cut 2 forests to basically pay for themselves and make the tile improvements free. Cutting the forest east of my little mountain range also provides me a nice district spot.

Although there seem to be only 2 civs on the continent, since the enemy territory looks seriously marvelous while I don't see any particularly awesome spots to settle in nearby, I decide to use my forest cuts to quickly push out some units for a second army. Depending on what districts they build, I will probably take some CSes after I'm done with the civs. Only Stockholm and Amsterdam are really important to be my friends. I want to get 3 envoys with each of these ASAP, the rest of them are nice for their 2 situational production early on, but later it wont be all that significant.

By turn 35, I have 4 tiles improved, 2 forests cut and a second army of 5 archers and 1 warrior on the road with Cairo programmed in their TomTom. After this I continue building the holy site which is finished by turn 40.

Meanwhile, between turn 35 and 40, my first army is pushing its way trough the mountain range that is obstructing access to Mbanza Congo and killing the units they bring. I declared war in order to not further limit my access path to a single tile instead of 2. Unfortunately that means I have units to deal with while trying to push trough the mountains but spending 5 turns moving trough a 1 tile gap and then dealing with the units probably takes more time. And since my units are still inexperienced and get their first promotion very quickly, I am not really afraid of taking some damage.

TURN 40-60

Turn 46 I capture Mbanza Congo followed by Mbamba in the mid 50s before I sign peace to get coins.
    After the war my units end up scattering a bit, but I find 3 archers willing to capture Nan Madol at a snails pace. There is no hurry anyway, I just want it to have some beachfront property.

After finishing the campus on turn 46, the capital builds 2 workers and a settler. Their purpose is to get the boosts for the naval techs by founding a coastal city, working 2 coastal resources, building 2 galleys and building a harbor. The other harbor must be built in a yet to conquer coastal city, probably medina.

Stockholm is allied around turn 50 and Amsterdam around 60(by quests). I already have some campuses pushing science ahead compared to the civic progress. I focus primarily on getting monuments everywhere before completing the districts. I plan a mix of science and faith districts. Even though Amsterdam is my ally, I am not planning many commercial districts as gold is going very well already.

TURN 60-80

With devine spark pantheon on turn 62 and +2prophet point civic up my religion is secured. Looks like I have overdone it and shouldn't have built a HD + shrine in my capital. I get my religion on turn 71. Not impressed with the options I choose Zen Meditation to deal with possible unhappiness from my upcoming jihad and Holy order to get some cheaper religious converting done in the future.

At turn 62, Madrid-Bad produces 2 galleys and a monument in 2 forest cuts. Getting the harbor here seems harder than I thought. The only production available is from the forest cuts and they arent enough for a harbor. I decide not to research celestial navigation and not to build any harbors. Science is much faster than civics anyway and I need the mercenaries civic for the upgrading.

In the mid 60's I stop producing monuments(6), holy sites(4) and campuses(3). I swap production to Chariots and siege towers. I decide to redeclare on Kongo since Mbanza Nsundi is by position splitting my empire in 2 making it harder to gather my army on the west coast so I capture it.

Cairo is mine on turn 61 and Medina on turn 66. Although there is not much gold to get, I make peace and leave Damascus alone. I need Cairo and Medina on full production now to produce the eastern chariot army. I send part of the archers into the water to serve as scouts. A few remain to police the island against barbs.

By turn 76 I get 3 envoys in Jeruzalem. This doubles my faith from 10 to 20.

TURN 80-100
    At turn 80, I have 2 armies of 6 chariots + siege tower ready and in position. 1 on each side of my continent. I have a scientist who thinks he is a great general by letting adjacent units heal rapidly.
    Scouts have left the shores just turns ago so while not much ahead of my armies, they will be able to scout a bit before choosing where to make landfall. I also have 2000+50 gold. Mercenaries was ready on turn 80 and when stirrups comes on turn 82, I upgrade 12 chariots to knights.

Many archers, scouts, galleys and warriors are already crossing oceans in all directions as soon as I have cartography. By the time the knights reach the other continent, they have scouted much of the shorelands and made contact with every civ.

A worker ialso joins each of the night armies. expect gunpowder in the mid 90's. By then, I hope to have captured a forest rich target so that my workers can cut and produce a Conquistador for each of my knight armies. My homelands are focussing on faith production now. I do this by building some settlers and workers that can forest-cut new holy sites while aiming for 6 envoys with jeruzalem. Of course I also add some temples. I launch inquisition on turn 94.

As my 12 knights with support descent on the americas around turn 90, they start their bloody quest. The fewer cities there are on the planet, the fewer need to follow my religion. Therefore, they get to burn most cities to the ground. The only cities I dont burn are the capitals and a few towns that I need to forest cut Conquistadors and some with holy sites to buy religious units.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  17. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.