6otM101 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Eyswein, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Eyswein

Eyswein Prince GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM101 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving a Score VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
    - How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
    - How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
    - What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
    - What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
    - Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
    - What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
    - Which Governors were most important; when and why?
    - Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
    - Were City-States helpful? Any competition with other civs for key city states?
    - When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
    - How did the 5 game modes affect your play? (Apocalypse, Dramatic Ages, Heroes & Legends, Secret Societies, Tech and Civic Shuffle)

- How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Prince

The Information Age was Dark, for everyone but me. Insult to injury, Sumeria got hit with a massive comet strike. I did not make it off the planet unscathed. There goes my Oil! But immediately afterwards, we left this inhospitable rock. Wernher von Braun showed up a little too late, but Tikal was doing Laser Projects in a Turn anyway. Turn 163 Science Victory, 1611 Score.

I stole Athens from Greece with Cultists just to prove I could, and Knossos flipped during a Greek Dark Age. keeping Ulm was often more trouble than it was worth, but I wanted it around as a sacrificial city if I went Dark and as a Holy City to flip if I needed the Era Score. I built Stonehenge and kept the Great Prophet in reserve in case I needed the Era Score for founding a religion while I had another Holy City under my control; never needed it but it was close several ages. When you get to the 10 turn countdown and need over 40 Era Score, things get tense.

Digging the right techs out of the tree in a timely fashion cost me. I couldn't build Flood Barriers in time to prevent some massive damage and I sat twiddling my thumbs for Satellites. Cartography was buried, and delayed.

Dark Summoning, from Ultimate Voidsingers, was great. I was cranking Faith at the end that essentially let me buy Era Score through Great People.

I got two Nalanda techs, just two. One from when I first pried them out of Mansa Musa's hands then one when I regained suzerainity. hard to say if Australia and Mali were doing Nalanda hijinks before I arrive but they were certainly both ahead of me in tech when we met.

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-12-16_21-7-0.png

upload_2020-12-16_21-9-6.png

upload_2020-12-16_21-11-54.png

Attached Files:

Eyswein and leif erikson like this.
  3. Enfant_Sauvage

Enfant_Sauvage Chieftain

I Gave up at T102. Reason : Dramatic ages (worst game-mode)

leif erikson likes this.
  4. A. mexicanum

A. mexicanum Chieftain

SV, turn 146, 2579 points, Apocalypse started, 19th of December

Boy, did I fudge up. I did not expect the apocalyps to happen so fast. 5 turns per level up? I underestimated how little emissions are necessary and how much Germany and Greece contributed. ALSO NON OF YOU GUS REMINDED ME; THAT CARBON RECAPTURE IS UNLOCKED BY A CIVIC! ;-) head --> table

- What was your plan for achieving a Score VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
    Wanted to wate for late game for war to let the AI settle my citys. That worked quite well. I got ahead on science and was capturing at least one city of Germany a turn in the end (Giant death robots ftw). Yet I did not manage to stop the climate change in time and had to do a science victory instead of score.

- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
    Setlled as many citys possible (9) within 6 tiles +2more around Bermuda, but no citys outside of it.

Liang, since I settled next to Mt. Kilimanjaro. Policy cards that allowed me to buy builders with faith. And science booster.

- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
    Golden Ages only. (currently atomic age). But boy, that was hard to do, especially for atomic age. Had 50 points to do, when the 10turn countdown started. Was able to get them by converting citys while at war.

- How were the Barbarians?
    Well, not really a problem, but because I did not want to clear them I did not find the Bermuda triangle and my best science city was the last I settled.

- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    see intro.
    Also, for some reason Hercules only died once, and got immortal afterwards? He did not expire anymore and I could not use his ability to build spaceports. Could I not have killed him in combat, you ask? Well, I don't know, because I am only smart enough to get this idea while writing this review.

- other stuff:
    I got lucky and lost only one unimportant city from the comets. With the speed I was capturing citys it would have probably improved my score to stall my victory a little longer and conquer greece, but once it is obvious I have won, I want to end the game as quickly as possible

- Did you enjoy your game?
    Yes.
    I am not a fan of the dramatic ages mode. In my opinion it is too punishing on deity, if you get a dark age. I do not want to have to retake half my empire by force, that ruins the fun. A few citys would be fine, but I have basically quit every game where I got into a dark age. But it is quite rewarding when you have to push for Era Score and manage to just get enough.
    It seems pretty hard to be able to stop the climate change, since the AI emitts so much. Guess my strategy was wrong and you have to go for an early war, at least at your continent. Otherwise you have to use your spys to sabotage the enemys industiral complexes while also stopping their science victory. Don't know if that is possible without early war.
    Might try this again, if I find time.

Spoiler :

Looks like I saved Australia by one turn.

My core empire at the end.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  5. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

SV turn 148-1718 pt
    - What was your plan for achieving a Score VC? Settled on the cotton and rushed 6 more settlers around my cap. Magnus x2 and the Obelisque secret society then Pingy and Moshka (bought 2 spaceport with faith).
    Spamming Holy site first then campus.Focus on Science and GA

- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? I settled a late city for Oil ,flipped 4 or 5 and captured 5 or 6 free cities as Greece died due to too many dark age
    - What did you prioritize for technology/civics? science

- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?Got the volcanic pantheon, big mistake .
    - Which Governors were most important; when and why?Pingy
    - Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?I was friend with all the Civ at the end
    - Were City-States helpful? As always Germany killed my Suz but I got it back as free city later
    - When did you have Dark/Golden ages?all GA
    - How did the 5 game modes affect your play? (Apocalypse, Dramatic Ages, Heroes & Legends, Secret Societies, Tech and Civic Shuffle)First time playing apocalypse and Heroes.I only picked Maui
    - How were the Barbarians?not bad
    - Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?3 of my cities got destroyed ,one with my third Spaceport west of my cap, one turn before SV
    - Did you enjoy your game?yes a lot thanks

Attached Files:

6. Chrumo

Chrumo Chieftain

T247 SV... Score 6381

I CAN'T BELIEVE I ACCIDENTALY WON A SCIENCE VICTORY 3 TURNS PRIOR TO THE SCORE VICTORY :<
    Apparently, on online speed, the expolanet expedition takes only 25 turns instead of 50... which I started on turn 222 for additional 5 Era Score. Great.

Anyway, that was one of the most fun games I've ever played in Civ6. At least the first 200 turns.
    From exploiting the Bermuda Triangle, to rushing Carbon Recapture (that is, of course, after I researched the entire tech tree and realised it is actually a civic) and starting to recapture 500 units of CO2 each turn, with 4 turns away from the apocalypse. And then the rush to kill all the AI which have already begun their science victories.

The last 50 turns were a complete slog, I tried to compete for the score (districts, buildings, national parks, excavations...) up until turn 233, where I realised the exoplanet expedition takes 25 turns and I just gave up, and shift-entered until victory. A couple interesting notes:

-You can only have 18 spare governor titles
    -You can lower the temperature of the earth indefinitely (mine was -1.2C) by recapturing CO2
    -If there are no more great people of ANY sort, the adequate GPP are converted towards Faith
    -You can farm era score in the late game by killing omnipresent enemy corps/army or fleet/armadas (1 ES each)

As for the general strategy:
    I planned out all 8 cities in the 6-tile radius, and their +4/+5 Observatories. When I discovered Bermuda Triangle, I immedietly settled there to gain whooping +50 Science, essentialy allowing me to overcome the Diety AI by a lot. Then it was just a matter of finding Carbon Recapture and killing everyone who emits CO2 off with (Jet) Bombers and Cavalry/GDRs. Oh, and it was obviously very important to have Industrial Zones (WITHOUT coal/oil power plants!) to start Carbon Recapture as soon as it is available in all cities.

As for the game modes:
    Dramatic Ages:
    While I generally dislike the Dramatic Ages game mode, it actually made this game so much more interesting. I only got 1 Dark Age in the mid-game, which turned 2 of my cities, but the most interesting challenege was to get over 130 Era Score needed in the 20 turns between Information and Future eras. I thought it was impossible, but after a bit of warmongering I think I got about 180-200 of it, without much trouble.

Secret Societies:
    I went for the Hermetic Order, and its a real shame there were no Ley Lines to be found on the map - I still think it was worth it though, the Alchemical Society was so powerful this game. Also I didn't get the free governors early on, since it got patched 5 days ago :(

Apocalype:
    I haven't used any Soothsayers, but the disaster intensity was insane, at the end when I had the entire map, I had to constantly deal with repairing my empire.

Heroes and Legends:
    The player location was so ridiculously overpowered that they hardly mattered, despite getting best ones. I think I used Hercules to clear Barb Camps ;)

Tech and Civic shuffle:
    What a mess. Sometimes I was super happy to find out that a next-tier government or unit was so easily available, but the frantic search for Carbon Recapture was even more intense, when I had no idea where it was. Fun!

Overall, an excellently written game seed :) Thank you so much! Merry Christmas :)

Spoiler t247 :
    20201222135206_1.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Science Victory Turn 213, Score 1212.

Boy that was a tricky (but very fun) game.

Spoke too soon in the Opening Actions thread... I thought I was on top of era score but fell badly behind in the medieval. Barbarians were giving me a lot of trouble and the dark age cost me a couple of cities and my expansion was not going well at all. I came pretty close to resigning when a Greek caravel razed the free city I'd just settled and lost to the dark age.

But, I hung in there and carried it through to another Golden Age. Science production was decent and I had enough cities, but was behind the AI. Frederick declared around turn 120, but I could easily hold him off. The AI and all their carbon emissions brought about the Apocalypse on turn 151. Time for a Science victory.

The comets weren't too bad for me (they hit Babylon and Mali the worst), but the solar flares are really irritating for a science victory. Wasting turns repairing spaceports mid-project is so tedious. While I was clciking end turn, I waged war on the free cities that used to be Sumeria (Giglamesh was ousted in a revolution back in Turn 108).

Exoplanet mission was finally launched Turn 205, easily won the International Space Station competition and produced plenty of laser stations to win 8 turns later. I really dislike the wait for science victory though. It's just adding pointless turns.

This is my first Deity Online speed game and I was pleased to see the AI completing Space Projects and even building bombers and using them to take out city-states.

My Score is pretty low thanks to not having enough cities (I couldn't really be bothered to declare war on the AIs!). Honestly I am just pleased I managed to get the Science Victory. I would have resigned if my capital got wiped out by a comet though... luckily it did not!

Thanks for a very fun challenge :D

Spoiler The Mayan Empire (or what's left) in 2004 AD :

8. Email10

Email10 Swedish Viking

Science Victory Turn 178, Score 2642 (with a restart after ~50 turns due to no Ley Lines available, see post in Opening actions)

My plan for the late game was, of course, to stop the Apocalypse and preventing/disturbing the Space Ship programs of the other Civs.

The first objective was successfully achieved. As soon as I found the Civic (it took a long time...) to do Carbon capture I switched all my Industrial Zones to bring down the CO2 level just in time. I was at stage 6 of the Apocalypse-meter and had probably just a few turns of buffer until the comets would start raining down. As I have not played Apocalypse mode to the end I wasn't sure what to expect.

The prevention of other Space Ship programs was more difficult. I used Spies quite effective to pillage the Space Centers and I also built a military to attack the strongest Civ's. I had the Civ's on my island under control. Greece had only one city left, Germany two and Sumerua and India were not so strong either. I decided to launch a massive attack on Mansa Musa, which was the strongest Civ apart from me in my game. With Missile Cruiser Armadas, a Giant Death Robot, and some Modern Armor armies I slowly took over the Malian empire and while pillaging his Space centers. The war was too slow and he had a very strong army to fight down so Babylon and Australia had time to catch up in the Space race, so I decided to launch the Exoplanet mission, and here my inexperience with the late game came into play. I thought that this was the fourth step and that there was another project to build after since there are five steps in the Vicotry screen. On top of that, on online speed it only takes 25 turns to fly to the new planet, so at Turn 178 I got the Science Victory, a bit too early, but Babylon had already started the Exoplanet mission as well and I was too late to attack him to prevent him anyway.

I manage to have golden ages all the way up to Industrial Age where I ran out of ideas how to get Era score and missed the golden age with 1 point. I think a levy of a city state would have been possible to get the last needed point but had this idea too late.

Things I learned:

I need to be more focused and planning for the late game - I should have started warring the other Civs much earlier. It would not have been difficult to do that.

Great Works seems to be much less valued by the AI when playing without Cultural Victory condition. I managed to buy off almost all Great Works from the other Civs in the Mid-game, boosting my Culture output significantly.

Playing with Heroes gave some interesting boosts in the early game. I had Hercules to build some fast districts, Maui who game me additional luxuries and Sinbad who helped with exploration. They were definitely not game changing but gave some additional flavour to the game. In the mid- and late game I mainly used them as Military Units.

I experimeted as well with Cultists as I have not used them before. I harrassed Sumeria a bit with them but thought it was a bit tricky to use them effectively if you don't apply a loyalty pressure strategy at the same time.

Thanks for an interesting game!

Spoiler End game :

20210110220334_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Uberfrog, leif erikson and Eyswein like this.
  9. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Resigned T136

Reason: Phase VII of climate change triggered
    I should have focused more on culture output and/or skip upgrading units that required oil (or better, wait for Jet Bombers to conquer).
    I never really bothered to learn about the mechanics surrounding climate change (since I would always win before any damaging phase would trigger). However, this particular combination of settings has made it an important consideration. I guess if you are going for a score victory (which I never go for), it is unavoidable.

This game however made me learn something about the Apocalypse mode. It seems the location where comets land is not random (or at least not entirely random). From playing a few games with the mode on, you can already tell that the comets tend to fall on land near cities. Polar circles and water bodies are strangely left alone. (Since only owned tiles seem to be viable targets, I suppose it contributes to add tension.)
    Now, in my game, one turn after triggering Phase VII, the first comet (1 hex) fell directly on my capital. A standard sized map is 84x54 and contains 4536 hexes. The odds of a 1-hex comet hitting my capital are extremely low, yet it happened with the first comet. I thus hypothesize that there is some kind of "karma" mechanic where "wrongdoers" or "frontrunners" are more likely to be hit by comets. In this game, I wiped a few civilizations and produced the most CO2 with around 2K. I may however only have been extremely unlucky...

Before this game, I had never tried a game with all game modes on, but I am glad I tried it. However, notifications (which are already too plentiful without any game mode on) start to get really get out of hand here.
    I leave here a few notes about the game, I may write later about more specifically about the different game modes in another post.

Start
    Moved away from the NW coast to settle capital without realizing there was another coast SE.

Online speed
    It's been a while since I last played at online speed, but the game definitely feels more balanced at this speed. It certainly does feel like developers mainly playtest their game at this speed.
    Movement-based victory conditions (domination/religion) are definitely nerfed at this speed.

Disabled victory conditions
    One thing I like from disabling victories is that you get much less information from the game (such as military strength, number of techs/civics unlocked, etc.)
    Acting without full information is more suspenseful. For example, declaring an early war on an AI without knowing its military strength feels more like a gamble.

AI
    It took something like 40 turns for Germany (friend) to take down Akkad. Frederik finally took it with a Cuirassier Army. I was closely monitoring the situation since I was Akkad's suzerain.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  10. Eyswein

Eyswein Prince GOTM Staff

One of the cool parts is if you actually get ahead in science/culture and skip your own coal/oil use (geothermal/hydro for none & nuclear for small) until you can carbon recapture, you may get lucky to actually keep the game in Climate Change phase 1 (where you start). Aluminum doesn't cause global warming, so you can have jet bombers for continued warmongering without contributing to climate change; weird rule.

One additional interesting note, no more changes after entering the Future Era, so in this game that would last about 70-80 turns that you at least don't have to recapture stuff and can just empire build, even if in a dark age for the rest of eternity.

Chrumo and leif erikson like this.
  11. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Eyswein likes this.