1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM103 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Eyswein, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Eyswein

Eyswein Prince GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM103 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving a Domination VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
    - How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
    - How many cities did you settle and/or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
    - What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
    - Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
    - What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
    - Which Governors were most important; when and why?
    - Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
    - How did no City-States impact your play?
    - When did you have Dark/Golden ages?

- How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. A. mexicanum

A. mexicanum Chieftain

Turn 263, Culture Victory, 1293 points

Boy, that was a grind. I expected this game to take more than 200 turns, but not this long.

Because of the expected duration I decided to settle a lot of citys. I am not a fan of war, so I went for a peaceful game and the mass of open land was a nice gift. I settled 15 citys in total (with one barbarian settler) and captured none. I prioritized theatre squares and holy sites in my city, later commercial hubs/harbours for the trade routes. Nearly lost the game when teddy attacked me with Pike and Shot while I still had warriors and archers, but luckily it was more important for him to chase and (temporarily) capture my builder. I bribed all his neighbours to join me and was able to peace him out after 10 turns.

Religion: Lady of the Reeds and Marshes (because I just had to with this start, and I am glad, because I love nothing more than beautiful desert citys, and this was one of my greatest.)
    Reliquaries
    Missionary Zeal
    Cathedrals (for religious art. which helped a little before I had art museums up, but meh)
    World Church (for additional culture)

I got 9 relics in total (found one, was not able to trade any). I did have Mont St. Michel, but did not sacrifice all apostles. I saved about 7 because I tried to keep Japan and China under my religion, since they were the ones with the most domestic tourists by far. (And if I am not mistaken, your religious tourism drops to 0 with enlightment and a different religion). This meant I had to fight of Russia, Georgia and Egypt. (This probably took me the longest game play time: move my apostles, search for theirs and get them back to heal).

I saved a lot of faith and got 6 national parks in the 3 rounds after discovering conservatism and an additional 4 shortly after. I used the rest for rock bands, since China (and Japan) were my main problems. Sadly I got pretty unlucky and they all died pretty soon (I only got a second promotion on 2 of them and none lived longer then for 4 concerts). They did not really help to get Chinas domestic tourists down, but kept them around 250 for a long time until it jumped up to 280 in one turn (I don't get how this is possible, if anyone knows more than I do, let me know).

Thoughts:
    - I had to fight a lot of barbarians of in the beginning, going for far settles sure did not help. I wanted to grab as much land as possible early and settled my outer citys first and some inner citys later. In hindsight that probably wasn't necessary.
    - Shuffle mode delayed a lot of key civics/technologies. And though I tried to find them via heurekas/inspirations, I had to blindly find a lot of them (my mistake).
    - My production was poor, and maybe I should have build a few Industrial Zones early, thought I could get away without them.
    - I completly ignored Koreas special abilities,especially the seowons - that I believe was my biggest mistake! Thought science to be less important than culture and faith, but underestimated how much that would harm my production and delayed some wonders like Cristo Redentor and Eiffel Tower. Also some key technologies like Printing and Computer would have been nice earlier.

So overall far from optimally played, but I am still surprised by how long it took. Curious to see what you guys did differently and which impact that had on your games.

Attached Files:

3. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

(unofficial attempt #5) CV t348 score 1301
    I hadn't realized how much I've relied on City State envoys to enhance my science, culture, and gold, so this one was a real eye-opener. No culture-inducing improvements, though I suspect I could have made parks with the govenor Lliang promotions? I didn't.

Attempt #1: try to keep parity, then at opportune tech advantage take some nice AI cities, then push for culture with RB's. Didn't work. I spent the first 75 turns just fighting off wave after wave of barbarians, and the slow start meant I never caught up, Teddy would hav emade it to space easily.
    Attempt #2: use Seondoek to get overwhelming tech lead, and crush nearby AI, then select victory. Nope... rage quit after losing city 2 to barb warriors.
    Attempt #3: Found a relic on t3 and got Rel Settlements, so made a pretty good run and would likely have won a space race, but didn't have the stamina for it.
    Attempt #4: Barb invasion slowed me down, and I quit.
    Winning attempt #5: Culture tree and research tree known from prior attempts was key cheating advantage. Played totally peaceful (did fight one defensive war early, repelled when walls went up, later became ally of him (Teddy). Lady of Marshes. Got most golden ages, and a heroic age. Stonehenged a religion and took Jesuit Education to buy buildings. Used other belief and inquisition just to get golden ages. Weirdly, a lot of AI offered great works and relics for strategic resources (which prior map knowledge ensured I had). Concentrated first on theatre district spamming, then on Natural Park spamming (mapmaker seems to have made those site numerous) Bolshoi, Crisco Redemptor, only 2 seaside resort sites, tons of ski resorts, and then rock bands (only two survived enough to be a significant impact, since by then I am making 1300 tourism per turn anyhow). Russia the last to fall to my culture (about 560 tourists needed). Oddly, I had by then 17/20 diplo points, too, and could have won diplo if I had chose, but stuck to CV for the comparison.

Really a tough map for warring. Probably explains why I had so much trouble with this one... at the higher levels I depend too much on taking AI cities as they can develop them into usefulness a lot faster than the player can. I lost this one 3 times WITH prior map knowledge, but am glad I was stubborn enough to prove to myself I COULD win this one if I get a decent strategy and stick with it.

It would have been just frustration if I didn't pull out a win finally. As it goes, I enjoyed the twist of a "recipe-strategy" disruptive map. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

4. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

CV293. Quite a standard game for me. Peaceful, though fought a stagnant war with USA. Unlike usual I remembered to build plenty of HS to gain faith for about 15 rockbands, which were key. Did they change the mechanics with RB? Seems like they don't die so easily now. Strange things though, like Russia having only one wonder. Spies were good in this game scientifically, gained probably 20 eurekas by those.

Attached Files:

5. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

CV 251
    Took the Lady of Marshes pantheon, settled my second city close to the NW and rush for a religion .Missed out on a lot of Wonders but managed to get Mont St Michel.
    Played very aggressive to get rid of culture running Civ.Did not built a huge army but made sure to build railroad to get to my foes/barbs quickly.
    Mostly GA but one. Spammed my religion with some suicide on AI to get relics and finished the game with rock bands
    Fun game but a lot to manage :)

Attached Files:

6. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

unofficial replay (attempt #2) CV t307 score 1320

- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
    I shoulda gone for Reeds and Marshes, but took the free builder pantheon instead. dumb, i know, but i guess i really wanted a builder at the time.
    I didn’t focus on getting a religion, figuring I’d just take whatever religions were spread to me, and avoid the “different religions” penalty.
    - What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
    I tried to avoid govts with Diplo cards since the City State cards were useless. was in Monarchy for quite a while, then switched to Merchant Republic, and then to Communism, but then switched to Fascism since that’s the govt most of the other civs were in.
    - Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
    Teddy attacked me a couple of times. He didn’t get anywhere, but I also wasn’t able to take any cities away from him since I was behind on tech.
    - How did no City-States impact your play?
    I found it harder for sure. and the diplo policy cards impacted my govt choices
    - When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
    I went Golden, Golden, Dark, Heroic. Dark wasn’t so bad really, I got to use a Dark Age card for more production for awhile which helped with the Eiffel Tower build.

- How were the Barbarians?
    bad, but not as bad as my first try
    - Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    i was surprised to learn that seaside resorts can’t be built on lakes. doh! that really screwed up my seaside resort strategy. Also surprised how quickly the seas rose, with 14 civs pumping out carbon. some of the few seaside resorts ended up under water. and then I misses Christo Rendento by five turns as well. so I ended up building a lot of ski resorts, and five National Parks. then sent out as many rock bands as I could with my so-so faith. i think i ended up getting seven or eight rock bands out.
    - Did you enjoy your game?
    Yeah, it was interesting. I’m not a fan of the scrambled tech tree, it just doesn’t make sense sometimes how one random tech would lead to some other random tech.

I always enjoy the Culture VC with the theming of the great works. I was pleasantly surprised how Peter and Hojo were willing to sell me Great works this game! though they did shut that down (once they realized I was getting close to CV I guess).

thanks for setting up this different and challenging game!

7. Sero

Sero Chieftain

CV T290 Score 1231

Spoiler T290 :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI Screenshot 2021.02.04 - 03.23.08.60.png Sid Meier's Civilization VI Screenshot 2021.02.04 - 03.22.07.47.png

Alright that game was a grind, not gonna lie it was rough lol. First time playing Korea and first time playing the tech and shuffle mode. Initially the plan was gonna be to rush horsemen, and take out a civ or 2 since there were so many. Get some seowons early and limit the number of civs. But then I saw the tech tree, and then came the barbs. After realizing how far my first neighbor was (Japan). I decided to just expand and go for a peaceful game. Got the lady of reeds and marshes pantheon, settled 17cities and flipped one from Teddy.Got about 10 CD's and some seowons, with a theatre square in almost every city. My biggest regret this game was not investing into faith earlier. As im pretty sure it slowed down my victory by a lot since by turn 240 I realized I needed to start building some holy sites for national parks etc. In the end I got 3 national parks, 3 rockbands, 2 of which died on the first concert which was really unlucky, and won by the 3rd rockband. For wonders I got Broadway, Hermitage, Temple of Artemis and one more that I can't remember atm. Eiffel Tower was only a couple turns away from finishing by the time I won the game though. All in all a pretty peaceful game. Managed to Ally and befriend pretty much everyone except for Egypt, because my army was a joke(lol) and netherlands because she was so darn far I couldn't get a trade route to her till super late game.

Attached Files:

leif erikson, Eyswein and kcd_swede like this.
  8. Email10

Email10 Swedish Viking

Unofficial (1 replay) CV T285, Score 1641

With my first try, I got a brilliant start with the early relic and the first 20-25 turns went very smooth. I took religious settlements for an early settler and finished off some early barbs and with camps When I was busy with fighting down another barb camp in the tundra to the south, America showed up with 3 Warriors (+5 continent bonus) one Archer and a War Chariot. That was it. I bought additional troops but with his continent bonus, I couldn't match his strength and obviously lost my capital with little hope of taking it back.

So I replayed, decided to build a little bit more troops this time and not run too far away with them. This time, America was intimidated enough to not attack and I could go for a peaceful game with plenty of room to build cities. I also selected Lady of the Reed & Marshes that seems to have been the msut-have-pantheon on this game. It seriously boosted production in the capital. After having build 10 cities or so, I went for Theatre Squares with Artefact Museums. I also founded a religion and chose reliquaries. Later in the game I built plenty of National Parks, Seaside- and Ski resorts. I also got all major Culture Wonders (Eiffel, Cristo, Bolsoi, Sydney Opera, Broadway, ...)

My Tourist was boosted with Trade Routes to the strongest neigbours, all relevant policy cards and Open Borders to everyone.

First age was Golden, second Dark (1 point missing) and then I had a Heroic and the rest Golden.

Very challenging game with a very agressive America in my first game. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Eyswein, Sero and leif erikson like this.
  9. Thorak

Thorak Warlord

CV T221, SCORE 1174

I settled north of the starting location and immediately found a relic in the first village. I used my normal starting build order that I always use (except on island maps): scout, slinger, warrior as I got a free settler from religious settlements I think my next build was a monument.

I played a 100% peaceful game (except for the horde of barbarians), the unit I used the most was warriors, archers and later upgrade to Hwacha to calm down the AI and kill barbarians. I focused heavily on growing my cities and I settled a total of 9 and later got 2 free cities from loyalty conversion from the AI and finished the game with 11 cities.

I build almost no wonders early on but spammed them in the end together with builders for ski resorts, seaside resorts and rock bands. The rock bands surely sped up my victory a lot and I was lucky to get a competition to lower the price of them by 20% and +50 albums.

I didn't use any religion but I built some holy sites to get faith for rock bands. I traded a lot with the AI and constantly traded away luxuries and strategic resources almost every turn to afford buildings in my weaker cities. In the end I had the governor to buy districts which helped out to populate the new cities with great works.

I didn't realize how much harder it is to play without city states and also the randomization of the techs/civics made it a lot harder to take the optimal path through the tech/culture trees.

It must have taken a lot of restarts to get a map which so heavily favors a peaceful playstyle. ;)

upload_2021-2-5_16-48-43.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Sero, Eyswein and leif erikson like this.
  10. Eyswein

Eyswein Prince GOTM Staff

And strangely not my intent. My original thinking was with so many civilizations that wiping out an entire civ would only impact ~1/13 instead of the normal ~1/7 of your foreign tourism potential. However, map ended up supporting both peaceful and aggressive play styles.

leif erikson likes this.
  11. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

CV T184

Shuffle mode:
    Here probably lies my edge over all other runs. As I mentioned in another thread, you can find where most techs or civics are (about 70%) in shuffle mode by using the filter feature.

Run:
    Early relic from Tribal Village
    Missed the Oracle which was built in the mid-30s!
    The map was crawling with barbarians especially early on. I had to heal my scouts which slowed down exploration.
    I decided to go with Reliquaries as usual. It was a good thing I scouted Saladin early enough, because I could have been caught with my pants down if aiming for the last religion. Since, it is a standard sized map, the number of religion is still capped at 5. However, since there are more AIs without religion, religious tourism becomes more powerful, since AIs do not spread their religion that well and you can fight back if needed without accumulating grievances.
    I built the Great Library and got a lot of free eurekas in this game. A lot of AIs went for Great Scientists and there were more of them in this game.
    AIs were a bit slow to get their religious units to suicide my apostles on. The only AI that had decent faith generation was Peter. However he picked missionary zeal as a belief which made it more difficult for my apostles to corner them.

Mistakes:
    Delayed building walls (for Conservation tourism)
    Cristo Redentor delayed because Radio revealed Aluminum on the only hill tile in the city I originally planned to build it in

Bugs:
    The bug where you dig up an artifact of X era and shows up as Y era in the great work menu is still annoyingly in the game. It always seems to be with the Renaissance/Industrial ones, but that might be anecdotal.
    The second (major!) bug is only the second time I ever witnessed it. As you can see in the attached screenshot, the victory condition is triggered on T184, however the victory movie did not trigger! Notifications on that turn were "You have attracted enough Tourists to make your culture dominant over Japan (culture leader)" & "Your culture has become dominant over all but one foreign civilization". On turn 185, I still satisfy the win condition with 112/107 visiting tourists. So this is not the case of domestic tourists jumping up after a few inspirations are triggered during the AI's turn. Shift-Entering a few turns eventually triggers the victory when Japan's domestic tourists eventually shoot up over my visiting tourists and I reassert my dominance again.
    The third bug is very minor, more of an annoyance really: on the world congress, the vote for having trade bonus with city-states of a particular types showed up (twice!) despite having no city-states on the map. (Curiously, all AIs voted for Scientific city-states!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    leif erikson and Eyswein like this.
  12. Lexad

Lexad oldfart

Turn 209 victory
    A bit past deadline, but not that anyone cares.
    Went for non-religious (mostly) victory just to see how this works - it works bad, had to crank up some rock bands to speed up in the end. Made several mistakes: sacrificed resources early to pick religion for relics, built Mont StMichael for martyr promotion, but overestimated AI and didn't have enough opposition to produce them till late in the game. Next, lost many early cultural GP to Russia. Finally, decided not to push Japan (cultural competitor) militaryly to get earlier win. I'm still too rusty in Civ VI, but had fun learning the current balance, my regards to the organizers!

Attached Files:

Eyswein and leif erikson like this.
  13. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

14. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Here's the problematic T184 save (which does not trigger the cultural victory as it should).
    I also include screenshots of the civic and tech trees I reverse engineered through the filter feature (names in red are found a priori and those in pink a posteriori).
    I also included another visual bug with the Hwacha UU icon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Eyswein and leif erikson like this.