6otM112 Opening actions Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM St 112 Opening Actions thread.
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your city?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- How did you place your districts?
- Did you bother with Religion??
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were you peaceful?
- Any surprises?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden.

Um yeah... I think you need to edit the game conditions in the announcement thread. As far as I can tell (at t 150) there are no zombies. There are no heroes. No secret societies. No barbs turning into CS. But there do seem to be corporations. I don't know what all was intended, but it sure wasn't as described originally as "all game modes except barbs and corps".

- Where did you settle your city?
Settled in place, iirc.
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
AH and Mining, then Pottery and writing to prep the science race.
- What was your build order?
Scout, slinger, Monument (builder bought)
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
Campus first, nestled in the mtns near steam vent, so +4 science iirc. Then Harbor for gold +4 iirc.
- How did you place your districts?
As usual, no special thought in it, just maximizing proximity bonuses.
- Did you bother with Religion??
No, pantheon was enough. God of the seas to get +1 production on the multiple sea resources this map script gives. More of a longer term strategy than I usually take picking pantheons, actually.
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
Badly, probably. After pantheon, I tried to get bonus/discounts on whatever I planned building at the moment.
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
Mitla and Hattusa, for science. But first suzereignities were selected more by what would get me points for golden ages than anything else.
- Were you peaceful?
Hell no. Attacked Viet Nam pretty quickly to gain a settler and builder. Attacked Gilga first because I had ships and could... took a city which I later lost to loyalty. I thought the capitol was on the coast and could take it all, but gave up on that war when I saw it needed land units. I levied some units from a city state and took everything from Hammy instead. Coastal attack with galleys/quads plus a man-at-arms and a horse. That's all it takes for 4 cities. But first city I actually captured was Jerusalem (CS) to get a beachhead.
- Any surprises?
Yeah... I started this waiting for zombies to attack... but realized something was not as advertized as soon as I saw corporations were available. So a slower start than otherwise. Also, big navy and clearing out barb camps was critical to taking advantage of any trade routes due to all the barb galleys around. So military is mostly naval, and for the AI, resistance is futile.

Given the slow science start, I figure I'll try to get my highest score ever before going to space.

Top Bottom