6otM116 Opening Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM116 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your city?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- How did you place your districts?
- Did you bother with Religion??
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were you peaceful?
- Any surprises?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden.

I haven't played GotM for a while and wanted to start again. One of the reasons being I didn't have the New Frontier pass. Since you can now buy it at a discount I decided to give in. Since this month is on King level, I figured it might be a good one to start exploring all the new additions that come with the pass. This is a description the first 100 moves of my journey.

The one culture on the forest tile NW hints at there being a Natural Wonder, most likely Matterhorn. So I decided to send my warrior first to take a peek, and indeed it is Matterhorn. This also immediately gave me the option to join the 'Hermetic Order' secret society. Since this game has secret society as a prerequisite, I figured joining was the thing to do. A little later I also discovered Owls of Minerva, but it seems I can't choose that having already chosen Hermetic Order'. Not sure now if that was a mistake or not. It looks like the tile NW of the mountain, next to the river and next to the tiles next to the Matterhorn would be a good city placement. But it seems too many steps to move the capital there. So I decided to settle on the Stone tile below to allow another city there. Settling on Stone is a bit of a waste, but as bonus resources go, a 2-food, 1-prod tile, Stone is not that great anyway.

I started researching mining in order to get started on Gems. And Animal Husbandry next for the truffles.

Normally I build scouts first, especially on a lower level, but in these circumstances I decided not to and build Eagle Warrior instead. Getting Alpine hopefully helps speed up scouting with warriors. And I want warriors to farm builders by defeating barbarians ASAP. Warriors do take significantly longer to build though. Warrior - Slinger - Settler to settle next to Matterhorn as soon as possible.

It seems the terrain is awkward, with Mountains restricting movement and expansion. I encountered Zanzibar and Antanarivo before anyone else and Singapore already met someone before me. That turned out to be Rome. The area near Singapore is rather barren, but it's full of Ley Lines. I decide to try to settle in that area, see what Ley Lines actually do.

I decided to use Magnus in the capital to harvest the other stone tile and speed up another settler to settle next to the gems in the desert. The second city, after Monument and Granary started to churn out troops, mostly Eagle Warriors. I was hoping to instigate Rome to declare war on me. It asked me not to settle so close, which I refused. But it wasn't denouncing me. I didn't want to wait forever, so I denounced Rome while churning out settlers and troops. At turn 5 I declared war and I spent 305 gold on levying some troops from Zanzibar. Having Gems, Wine, Spices and Truffles gives me +4 combat strength. Add the +4 for melee units that Oligarchy gives is quite a formidable advantage.

The war against Rome is going smooth, producing a seemingly never-ending stream of builders. The Ley Look quite powerful, I got a +5 Campus and a +4 Industrial zone. At turn 100 Rome has only one city left to the West, Antium. Since Rome was Suzerain of La Venta I conquered that as well. So I now have 10 cities and am laying siege to Antium to wipe him. I expect Georgia to be next. But Tbilisi looks like it will be a tougher nut to crack. I'll have Zanzibar's troops for 12 more turns, but there are only 3 archers left anyway. When it's Georgia's turn I might borrow Antanarivo's battering ram with supporting cast.

Three mistakes I made, I think. One is I forgot to prioritize Mathematics, so I can build Petra for Teotihuacan in the desert. That will be a powerful combination with all the Ley Lines. I'll try still, hopefully I'm not too late.
The other is through my focus on conquest of Rome, I have neglected the sea-faring technologies. If I want a speedy domination victory, I'd better find out where everyone else is ASAP.
Lastly, since I had so many builders I built improvements for everything. But I had forgotten I can also use them to speed up building districts. By the time I remembered I had used most builders already. Will do better with that going forward.

I like the 'industry' improvement, that seems like a nice new feature. 4-3-4 food-prod-gold yields are not to be sneezed upon early in the game.

There was a decent event right at the start of the game ;)

Attachments

• 2021-08-31 02_19_20-Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11).png
    2021-08-31 02_19_20-Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 150
Top Bottom