6otM123 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Eyswein, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Eyswein

Eyswein Prince GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM123 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
    - How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
    - How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
    - What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
    - What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
    - Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
    - What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
    - Which Governors were most important; when and why?
    - Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
    - Were City-States helpful? Any competition with other civs for key city states?
    - When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
    - How did the game modes affect or impact your play?

- How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

tarafran and Knightfall like this.
  2. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Warlord

Religious Victory turn 164

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
    Going for religion, early, with 12 civs it can be competitive. Found the Matterhorn quickly so it helped. I saw Mali and thought they would get a religion so wanted to go convert him asap, but eventually he just warred Zulu so i didn't have problem converting my 3 closest neighbors. Khmer was a bit more difficult and I did declare war to kill a couple of unit, which helped spreading my religion. I had Moksha fully promoted, and with Yerevan, Crusade and the world congress religion about religious unit, i one-shoted all apostles I saw in the rest of the world. It was also very useful to have the golden age resolution granting speed to religious units.

- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
    +1 GPP for a holy site is super helpful to speed the process of getting the religion. Killing units spreading your religion is also great, but I didn't feel like warring too much.

- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
    I settled 6 and captured Valletta, Muscat and Anshan (although this was from a free city). I settled my first city on place, then the next one in Europe and the third one in Turkey for the luxuries. I also put one on the suez canal to have easy access to both side of Africa.

Religious districts and governments.

- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
    Nothing particularly worth mentionning I think.

Culture for plantation. Wouldn't have been my first choice but didn't see anything better.

Monarchy then Theocracy for the religious combat bonus.

Moksha for the double religion and Amani to ensure Yerevan early game.

- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How?
    Relations with other civs? Partly, I could remain friendly with my neighbors so didn't have to invest in too many military units. The rest of the world didn't like me too much because I was converting them but it remained pacific.

- Were City-States helpful? Any competition with other civs for key city states?
    Yerevan was obviously game-chaging. Kandy gave me a couple of relics. Valetta gave me a city that i could cross with boats to visit the world.

Only golden ages.

Industries gave me a couple of nice yields but barbarian clan mode had no impact I believe.

Not too visible, they didn't kill any of my 9-spread double-promoted Apostles, which would have made me relatively annoyed.

I hadn't played this map yet, but it was quite fun to "discover" it and see who the concurrent were. I still don't know where Maori settled though, couldn't find his capital!

- Did you enjoy your game? Yes, thank you!

Spoiler Final screenshot :
    upload_2021-11-16_17-21-3.png

Attached Files:

tarafran, leif erikson and Eyswein like this.
  3. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

DV 171 - score 2777
    great game :)
    - What was your plan for achieving the VC? getting a fast. religion with my first 2 cities (feed the world and religious colonization)
    them spam 8 to 10 cities to build a Dromon Navy then hippodrome to get a UU army

- Where did you settle your first few cities? in place ,second one north east

- What did you prioritize for technology/civics?Astrology, Navy, Targas, Cartography ,Frigates, Steel , Battleships, Tanks

- What were key production/purchase focuses?
    First focus was on building a navy with Dromons to take out Robert the Bruce
    Next I went to war with Mali and Shaka with the Tagma as they were both ahead in tech and power.
    I only built my 2 original Holy site as I choose to focus on gold.I did not have any missionary following my troupes .Those 2 had strong religion and were spamming a lot of missionaries.
    My second Tagma army went to Mongolia as I had spread my cities towards them.
    Next I went for Korea and Khmer.
    First army split swimming with Frigates
    .East: Mapuche-Brazil- Cree
    and West : second front on the Khmer-Gitara-Kupe

- Pantheon chosen and why? goddess of marshes as I wanted to settle on the"Suez Canal tile"to block the 2 African Civ

- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Mid game I had to use all the cards for Loyalty

- Which Governors were most important; when and why? double Magnus(2) first for spamming and chopping settler in my second city, Pingy(3) and double Victor for loyalty

- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?Selling everything I had before they all hated me

- Were City-States helpful? got Suz the 3 red CS for build a fast army and buying walls when needed with faith

- When did you have Dark/Golden ages? 3 GA monumentality

- How did the game modes affect or impact your play? did not

- How were the Barbarians?polite :)

First : good one was seeing tanks appear on my land as I forgot that every new building on the hippodrome brings a new unit for free
    Second. not so good :I lost 10 turns at the end when capturing Kupe capital waiting for the Victory screen and soon realized that Kupe had lost is Capital before and reconquered it on an Island East in the fog of war

Yes a lot, love Deity domination games
    Thanks

Attached Files:

leif erikson and Eyswein like this.
  4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

DV157
    I did not really have much of an idea because I did not know what civs were around but getting a holy site first was a no brainer, then there was the horse to the north mentioned (I do not know this map that well) and so I went for a cav rush which I did with 5 horses. The north was empty so I thought Africa would have something. Once I had a decent sea move speed (I was upset at not getting the great lighthouse) it was all downhill, as soon as I found who had the GL I beelined them. The rest of it was just simple.
    Basis is Basil, a beast and the deity map was an easy start so it was a cruise, I relaxed and enjoyed it soon enough but the large map does slow the game down a lot.
    I settled 3 in the end, If someone wants to count how many captured, feel free.
    Covered above, for civics I pushed to EE and then military trad
    I got a scout first so I could maximize envoys, settlers and horses with a builder in there somewhere
    Lady of the reeds, just seems generally handy and the nile is a nice spot, I chose Work ethic and crusade, the first is a good second choice and crusade is the game TBH
    The normal Oligarchy Monarchy Theocracy. Chopped in the forbidden palace and slotted the usual characters like doubel adjacency and extra worker charges.
    Magnus of course although I did not 'tour' him well, I am just lazy. Amani was in akkad all game which was where she should be anyway
    Nah, kill em... some good scottish trades early as you would expect
    No competition, some CS like Kandy were key but too hotly contested for me so it ws a case of go around them.
    They are all golden after the first , right?
    Clans is a bit whimpish on deity, ndid not make too much use of monopolies although I guessed it would not be an issue,
    Rubbish
    Finding Kupe'scap on a tiny island was the best thing, the game was pretty OP
    Yes, although a bit of a slog nearthe end the number of turns were shortwhich made up for it.

I did have a crash on T155 but hey, who cares
    As you can see from the pic, I did not even bother chopping much
    Spoiler :

upload_2021-11-19_20-42-13.png
    upload_2021-11-19_20-45-22.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Eyswein and leif erikson like this.
  5. Planktonic

Planktonic Warlord

DV turn 195.

Well that went better than I expected. Messed up the start- at turn 104 I had only 4 cities and Mali had just razed my 5th. It's a testament to the power of the civ that I was still able to get a domination win before turn 200; of course it was a pretty cooked map (thanks Eyswein!) and a lot of fun to play. Having Akkad and Yerevan within easy reach and suzed all game made everything flow once I got my bearings.

I suspect I could have cut more time off but I really wasn't sure what to expect with regard to converting cities by killing units. A few civs had so few units or they were located so far away that killing-conversion wasn't happening, so I pretty much started making sure I had religious units on hand to directly convert cities before going to war. This was probably a mistake, next time I try Basil I'll be a bit more adventurous I guess.

I was pretty happy coming in below 200 turns (my first time on a Deity level game) but the above results from tarafran and Victoria are just unreal....

Thanks for the game !

Attached Files:

leif erikson and Eyswein like this.
  6. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

DV- 142
    Replay for fun following Einstein advices using Tagmas with missionaries
    no city spamming this time.

Attached Files:

7. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

DomV T119

I hesitated finishing the game as a religious victory. I maybe could have shaved 3-4 turns to victory if I had pursued it by converting Cree to my religion instead, but since I had captured every other capital at that point, why not?
    Another possibility I contemplated was wiping out the Afro-Eurasian landmass and then only convert the Americas peacefully to my religion since religious units (with Exodus of the Evangelists) move faster over the ocean. I also had no Great General at that point.
    Porphyrogénnētos is really powerful, too powerful even? Personally, I would only make it work with heavy cavalry and not light. Horsemen/Coursers were more useful to me in this game then the Tagmas (faster movement + 1-turn pillage).
    Dromons are also very good units and quite durable with Crusade. It's difficult to find a good map were both UUs can shine and be used to their full potential, but the TSL huge Earth map certainly qualifies!
    You can also get insane combat strength bonuses under this setup: 21 Taxis + 10 Crusade + 4 Tagma + 4 War of Religions + 4 GG
    3 cities settled (capital + Suez Canal + near horses northwest)
    40+ cities captured, 6 AIs eliminated
    Standard T50 Horsemen rush
    Then Divine Right thus delaying Military Training (Raid) & Mercenaries
    I built a lot of Hippodromes and Arenas. Even with 40+ cities, I managed to keep a content empire without using any policies.
    Pantheon: God of Craftsmen, but I think God of the Open Sky would have been a better choice (or Lady of the Reeds and Marshes since that canal city had awful production until the holy site was done).
    Religion: Work Ethic and Crusade
    Yerevan: it makes a big difference converting a holy city in 1 (or 2) charges
    Fez: I got a lot of science from it, I should have gained suzerainty earlier
    Exodus of the Evangelists x2
    %-age yield modifiers from industries
    Surprisingly tame considering the vast empty spaces the map held
    Maybe its related to the combination of the huge map and the barbarian clans game mode? (cap reached for number of camps?)
    Mali: They had Walls / Crossbows / Pikemen while I was still on Horsemen (Tagma not unlocked yet). Even with Crusade, I had to be very careful. Hopefully, their cities had a lot of farms.
    Cree: They were busy dealing with barbarians up north which allowed me to snipe their capital. I took it on the same turn I declared with only two units.
    Yes

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  8. cas

cas Emperor

T174 dom.

Could have finished earlier, but went for full conquest all cities owned or razed. Don't usually play Deity or Byz, but felt like King/Emperor level with this civ and start position.

Settled 4 cities semi-early including Suez canal. Took out Scotland with Dromons + galley. Ran into a bottleneck T85-T105 waiting for Divine Right / UB due to poorly managed eurekas, but then Zulu with both navy + Tagma. Had some money issues around T110, but taking out Mansa and his commercial hubs alleviated that. The rest was just slow roll domination converting enemy cities and overpowering them. Mansa was the most difficult target and he was still a pushover.

Chose Lady of Reed/Marshes for Suez Canal production. +10 combat enemy cities following religion / +2 faith per city / mosque. Just became stronger and stronger as the game went along.

Hippodromes everywhere kept happiness in check and FREE UNITS. Used military policies for cheaper upgrades and costs. Moksha governor was useful with 2 promotions for the Apostles converting cities. Diplomacy was useless.

Fez and Yerevan were super important. All golden ages. Exodus of the Evangelists when possible.

Barbs, clans setting, corporations were mostly irrelevant.

Enjoyable gave. Thanks for hosting.

cas

9. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

DV192. Quite an enjoyable game, though it got even a bit physical as I got some minor wrist pain from clicking as fast as possible to move my armies to try to finish the game. As usual in this map the AI didn't pose any challenge what so ever.

My conquering order was Scotland - Asian countries - Mali - American countries - Shaka. Left Shaka for last as they had a coastal capital easily snatched by a fast moving navy in the end. My early strategy involved making a 'Suez canal city' (like some other player above) and moving my Dromon navy through it quickly. Frigates though were the most useful navy unit in this game probably and from land units probably trebuchet or bombard. Mali conquest was made possible by the UA & UU combination with minor siege support.

Barbarians were a limited nuisance, though as usual with the completely empty Sibiria I had to have a few units there just for barbarian defence.

Attached Files:

10. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

RV t198

With the two win conditions allowed I could not set my mind on any one of them until very late, and lapsed into buildingitis as a result, again.

Religion was really easy to get even without projects.

Too many, 8 in total. I was so happy to get golden classical that I lost my mind with Monumentality :)

Here again, got into trading for far too long, with my closest neighbours on top of that, and delayed attacking them which has probably cost me further stall with Mali. The deals seemed so good :)

Yes, Yerevan for obvious freedom of apostle promotion choice, and Fez - this one really gives you a considerable boost when you're converting the world.

All Golden.

Some industries were very nice with accelerated unit production.

Very absent. Although later I sent an apostle with a mission to recruit some fresh blood from the vastness of Siberia, which wasn't entirely futile :)

Delayed starting conquest for far too long and stalled in Mali a bit, but then I was surprised how smoothly conquest went. At that point I had Asia already converted and apostles on the way to Oceania, so I just eliminated Europe and Africa and SA civs, an then converted the Cree to claim RV.

Yes, thanks for the game! On the one hand I was happy to finish it at all and keep it sub t200, but then I loaded a couple of fastest finish saves to have a look and saw what an incredible amount of unnecessary things I tend to build in such games.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.