6otM139 AAR

Eyswein

Prince
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM139 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?

- What were your initial 5-10 builds in the capital or other early cities?
- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors were most important; when and why?
- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
- How did the game modes affect or impact your play?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Chrumo

Chieftain
SV 247

Spoiler t247 :

20220718201237_1.jpg

What an exciting way to find out that preserves are extremelly fun :D

Abused the hell out of the breathtaking mountains. Severe lack of Scientific States, as well as very hot climate made it fairly slow, but overall I'm quite happy with my result.
No wars waged, no cities captured, managed to flip some of Mapuches though.

Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 247 1680 AD.Civ6Save
    3.1 MB · Views: 11

Lexad

oldfart
Space victory turn 211

Quite regular game, got a bit over with preserves, had to build over all around with mines eventually in my Ruhr city (which, despite being built late, got hit by 5 or 6 catastrophies, last one destroying spaceport). Could've shaved couple of turns by buiilding 4th spaceport.
No wars (only got declared when allies got attacked), snatched almost dead Vatican from Maya, late in the game killed Valetta for monopoly.
Settled monopoly cities and aluminium city on the empty SW continent. Too bad this isn't a cultural victory game, didn't know their insane boost to tourism.

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 211 1500 AD.Civ6Save
    2.8 MB · Views: 18

Lord Yanaek

Emperor
Well, it's been a loooong time since i last played a 6otM or any Civ6 game so i was a bit worried i wouldn't be able to win a Deity game, but i still wanted to see what Incas could get out of mountain preserves. Finally managed to get my SV on turn 322, far from any of the top players but i'm still happy about it.
  • What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
    Trying to remember how to play a Civ6 game and adapting to the new content i've barely touched was my overarching plan. Other than that i wanted to use the preserves on mountains with Terrace Farms to further improve those. Maybe not the best strategy but they give you some nice tiles to work on.
  • What were your initial 5-10 builds in the capital or other early cities?
    Some early military (3 slingers, another warrior) then a worker and settler. At least i got that one right, on Deity get an army first. I ignored the scout because all the hills around me would have slowed it to 1 tile per turn just like a stronger military unit.
  • - Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
    Not sure about tech. I tried to get Archery fast then Writing and later i tried to keep a balance between military tech and science tech.
    For Civics it was mostly beeline Mysticism then beeline Conservation trying to get the trade government along the way (see i don't even remember the name of the civic, told you it's been long time since i played Civ)
  • How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
    I based my economy on the civ bonus. Working highly improved mountains and terrace farms, using domestic trade to grow big cities.
  • How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
    Let me see if i can count those. Looks like i had 12 cities in the end. One of those i got from Mapuche who kindly settled right next door before falling into a Dark Age. Another one was Vatican City which resisted a war with Maya for 2/3 the game before being captured by ... Gran Columbia who lost it 5 turns later to my pressure :hammer2:
  • What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
    At some point i managed to get a nice mixed economy from my mountain preserves and industries so i mostly "built" projects for great people points while purchasing buildings with gold and units with faith. Being able to get the scientist who boosts all information techs right as i was starting to research those was probably key to beating Lady Six sky in the race for the stars.
  • Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
    Religious settlement because really is it a choice when you're lucky enough to get it. I stumbled on a relic in my first village (and only one i found in my starting area) so really it was a no-brainer for me. I completely ignored religion after pantheon, instead using my faith to purchase units.
  • What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
    Republic first for the amenity, then the trade one as i had no religion, then Communism for the bonus science and trade routes policy and finally the one that give free power and bonus to projects for obvious reasons. Policy cards varied quite a lot but i often kept bonus to trade routes and the republic legacy.
  • Which Governors were most important; when and why?
    Magnus at first when i had to remove jungles for terrace farms or districts, then Pingala in my large capital and finally Amani in Venice as i had no oil my lands and only one Uranium. I went full pokemon style on governors and collected them all as i built the government district building relying on them.
  • Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
    When i found Mapuche right next to me i knew they would be a pain to deal with so i tried to play nice with Six Sky and later Teddy when i met them and that worked pretty well. I also played cat-and-mouse with Six Sky troops near Vatican city trying to cut reinforcement/retreat path in order to protect the city (especially after she told me she liked me being far away) so her army has been busy for most of the game trying to capture a city state she never made peace with but couldn't take. That allowed me to defend against 2 wars with Mapuche where i put a really effective unit to great use ... the Great Merchant :lol: I had two waiting for Economics to build corporations and since they just retreat to the nearest city when "defeated" i used them to lure some attacks away from my units/cities. That wasn't glorious but at least it allowed me to survive a war while i was in a golden age and his units were about twice as strong as mine.
    After the second failed attack he finally understood and stopped annoying me and then it seems like i was BFF with everyone (well, except Pedro who was a little annoyed at me trying to get some great people)
  • When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
    First GA was almost impossible to avoid and i took advantage of my Preserves faith generation to buy settlers/builders and expand. When i understood i couldn't get another one in Medieval i decided to go into a Dark Age and use the Isolationism policy and grow my cities. I was than able to get a Renaissance Heroic Age thanks to my unique unit, first industry and some great people so i went again for a 2nd faith-based expansion. Finally i ended with an Information era Golden Age which wasn't terribly useful but got me a little extra aluminium
  • How did the game modes affect or impact your play?
    I like corporations, it seems like the AI doesn't go all-in on those even on Deity where they usually go all-in on ... everything :rolleyes: and they give nice bonuses without being ridiculously overpowered like the cultists secret society. I tried to secure several copies of luxuries to use those and settled with access to those in mind. In the end i had Cocoa, Sugar and Diamond which isn't bad on a scarce resources map. I had an industry for Amber but not enough for a corporation.
  • Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    Biggest surprise was finding that relic early and getting the first pantheon. A free settler was a really nice gift. I also laughed a lot when Gran Columbia captured Vatican City and of course couldn't keep it. I never planned to capture them but when i noticed they had access to aluminium (albeit with help of the great merchant who can annex tiles as it was on 5th ring) i was more than happy to keep it.
  • Did you enjoy your game?
    Yep. I'll try to remember to keep an eye on this forum and not wait for the next i run some spring cleaning on my old bookmarks to come back :o I probably won't play all the games but if there's another interesting one like this i hope to notice it in time.

IncaSC322.jpg
    Thanks to the team for keeping GotM alive for all those years :hatsoff:

Planktonic

Warlord
Wow, did not expect to sign in to report on my game and see a post from Lord Yanaek! But glad for the opportunity to say "Thank You!" for compiling the Master List; I've gone back to a bunch of those games now out of interest so your handiwork continues to be quite valuable and helpful!

As for the game: SV, turn 266

Only my second game ever with Inca; abandoned the first one a while ago after about 50 turns. But I've been trying out Bull Moose lately so thought I was already attuned to Preserves, so was looking forward to this game. Science is always a bottleneck for me in SV, so I thought having 2 sources of science per city (Campus and Preserve c Sanctuary) would help. In the end it didn't seem to make that much of a difference for me somehow, and I had to pretty much pillage all of Gran Columbia and Aztec in order to help get over the science hurdle to Offworld Mission. Along the way ended up taking most of America's cities and also two from Gran Columbia. Probably should have kept warring and pillaged Maya and Brazil as well, but just got tired of moving units around.

Interestingly, given the food yields with Groves, ended up building almost no Terrace Farms. Also, didn't find the Waraq-ak (sp?) to be a very useful unit.

Thanks for the game!

Also, to Eyswein: What, no Kupe ?

Attachments

• GOTM 139 SV PACHACUTI 266 .Civ6Save
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

Vargas1

Prince
Also, didn't find the Waraq-ak (sp?) to be a very useful unit.

The Warak'aq can be super powerful, but require some planning ahead to get there. You need to build a bunch of scouts, ideally get one (maybe two if possible) ranks early, have gold to upgrade, then slot in the survey card and rank them up to ambush (best way might be to go to war with a city-state, wipe out the troops, then take turns firing at the walls). Once they're at ambush they are super-mobile and hit crazily hard twice a turn. Add in a knight or man-at-arms to take cities and you should be able to wipe out one or two nearby civs without much trouble.

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.
You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

elmagico

Chieftain
First Deity win ever. Also a science victory, but I’m not sure i fit would count, because I took some enemy capitals.

I enjoyed the same, until I knew I would win and I had to take a lot of turns, and played with little joy.

I loved terrace farms. I was unfamiliair with Preserve. I didn’t use its powers, but I will do in the future.

I learned from your posts for this game. I enjoyed corporations. A bit silly that you have to use great merchants in the process. Could have been better developed.

My major plan was to survive and to last as long as I could. During the game it changed to get siege weapons with enough range. After that it became very easy. I had to conquer the Mayan, since they were very advanced and would have won the game (diplomatic or science).

I used the leader bonus and civ unique ability as anyone else. It is nice to make a city become 46+ pop.

I learned to work with military engineers and the inconvenience that a support unit, a military ranged/melee/siege unit and military engineers do’t fit in one hex.

Top Bottom