6otM141 Announcement

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to game 141 in the 6OTM Series! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series. Gifting of cities is an exploit in a religious VC as the AI can't see that it will lose if it accepts the cities.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif know (via Conversation (Private Message)) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ VI - 6otM141 Details:
Player (You): Suleiman– Ottoman
Victory Condition
: Domination; all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Immortal
Civs/City-States
(including player): 8/12
Map Type/Size: Continents & Islands / Standard Size

Resources: Abundant
Start Position: Legendary
Temperature: Hot
Rainfall: Wet
Sea Level: Low
Disaster Intensity: 0

Game Mode(s): Corporations

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Barbarians; Tribal Villages
Game Version: This game was created in Civ6 Gathering Storm version 1.0.12.9.
Game Requirements: vanilla version of Civilization VI with Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm expansions. All pre-NFP & NFP DLCs are required.

Here is where you will start:
6otM141 start.png

Suleiman– Ottoman Unique Attributes:
Spoiler Unique Attributes :

Suleiman Leader Bonus: Grand Vizier - Has access to a unique Governor, Ibrahim, the Grand Vizier. Gains the Janissary unique unit and 1 Governor title with Gunpowder.

Unique Ability: Great Turkish Bombard - +50% Production toward Siege units. Siege units gain +5 Strength Combat Strength against defensible Districts. Conquering a city doesn't cause that city to lose Citizen Population. +1 Amenity and +4 Loyalty per turn for cities not founded by the Ottomans.

Unique Unit: Janissary: Replaces Musketman, Unlocked by Gunpowder
Common abilities: +5 Strength Combat Strength vs. anti-cavalry units.
Special abilities: Receives one free Promotion when first trained, purchased, or upgraded from an earlier unit. Can only be trained in cities with a Citizen Population of 2 or more. If trained in a city that was founded by the Ottomans, subtracts 1 from its Citizen Population.
Special traits: Lower Production cost (120 vs. 240). Higher Strength Combat Strength (60 vs. 55).

Unique Unit: Barbary Corsair: Replaces Privateer, Unlocked by Medieval Faires
Common abilities: Invisible except when within Sight range of City Centers, Encampments, Destroyers, other naval raiders, or when there is a unit in an adjacent tile. Reveals stealth units within Sight range. Can perform Coastal Raids. Has a ranged attack with Range 2. Ignores enemy zone of control.
Special abilities: Uses no Movement to perform coastal raids.
Special traits: Lower Production cost (240 vs. 280). Lower Gold maintenance cost (3 vs. 4).

Unique Infrastructure: Grand Bazaar: Replaces Bank; Unlocked by Market
Effects: +5 Gold (boosted by Free Market Policy Card); +1 Citizen slot; +1 Great Merchant point per turn; +4 Gold with each Trade City-States with 3 Envoys; Lower Production cost (220 vs. 290); Accumulate one extra Strategic resource for every different type of Strategic resources this city has improved; Receive 1 Amenity for every type of Luxury resource this city has improved; +2 Great Works Slots for any type with Great Merchant Giovanni de' Medici activated

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Spoiler :
Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don't be afraid to ask questions). It's also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the Opening Actions thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
In development.

This game runs for a month and ends 15 September 2022.

The save is attached below.

Attachments

• 6otM141_Ottoman_Immortal_Domination.Civ6Save
    824 KB · Views: 204
Is there ever going to be a game at Emperor level? This level is always skipped. I cannot remember a Game of the Month at this level.

Is there ever going to be a game at Emperor level? This level is always skipped. I cannot remember a Game of the Month at this level.
Haven't done one is a long time, but will add a couple in! When done at the 'easier' games tend to get complaints that it is too hard and when done at the 'harder' games get complaints it is too easy.

Four games in a row featuring a civ with which I have yet to record a victory- you're really helping me fill up my HoF, Eyswein! Keep it up!

If I can win this of course- not the best Domination player by any means. But this civ's toolkit is so geared to Domination we should have good odds. I shudder to think what tarafran and Chrumo are going to do to this game....

Few nice spots to settle but SIP should be the best even tho we lose 1 forest.
PH is the best tile for Cap for the extra Prod.
Either that or settle the Ivory for the instant Lux to trade.

Haven't done one is a long time, but will add a couple in! When done at the 'easier' games tend to get complaints that it is too hard and when done at the 'harder' games get complaints it is too easy.

Wanted to respond to this at the time but forgot. For me, the main difference in degree of difficulty is the number of Settlers accorded to the AI. So for me Prince/King feel basically the same (1 Settler); Emperor/Immortal are decidedly more challenging but not very different from each other (2 Settlers); and Deity (3 Settlers) is definitely quite a bit more challenging than any of the other levels.

GOTM has a long history (141 Civ6 games and counting; I myself am admittedly a relative latecomer) so likely there won't be much appetite for change in format, but if people want to see a more even distribution of difficulty levels (including more mid-level games like Emperor) than maybe you can consider having three tranches of Game Difficulty based on # of Settlers instead of just two? It would mean moderately fewer "easier" games (33% Prince/King instead of 50% as it is now in practice); more "mid-level" games (33% Emperor/Immortal- right now we are at ~25% Immortal with almost no Emperor?); and also slightly more "hard" (read: Deity) games (33% instead of 25%).

You've probably already considered this and decided against it, but just throwing it out there.

And while I'm at it...

I would enjoy an occasional GOTM where we aren't given much (if any) information about the world in which we're playing. It's always seemed strange to me that we start out as a paleolithic collection of settlers, but we already know what the map type of the world is, how many civilizations there are in the world, how many city states there are in the world, how likely we are to find mountains, or how much tundra vs desert is likely to exist etc. It would be a lot of fun to try to master the world without this knowledge aforehand. I think it would really make you think twice about some choices. As an extreme example- knowing you're on a Terra map from turn 1 automatically changes everything you do, since you already know there is an empty continent waiting for you to exploit and you're going to make sure you get to it first.

When you set up a single player game by yourself there's really no way to avoid knowing these things, since you yourself have to choose them just to begin the game. GOTM is one way single players could really explore a world about which they almost literally know nothing, which to me would be a lot more interesting.

(*ducks to avoid the hurled tomatoes*)

I like your suggestion of a completely "unknown" world, but isn't some information (size, for example) disclosed anyway while loading the savegame?

For me, the main difference in degree of difficulty is the number of Settlers accorded to the AI. So for me Prince/King feel basically the same (1 Settler); Emperor/Immortal are decidedly more challenging but not very different from each other (2 Settlers); and Deity (3 Settlers) is definitely quite a bit more challenging than any of the other levels...I would enjoy an occasional GOTM where we aren't given much (if any) information about the world in which we're playing.

Definitely plan on taking a look at integrating more of these types of things into the games.

Top Bottom