1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM16 opening actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 16 Opening Actions thread.
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
    - Where did you settle your city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. bjelar

bjelar Chieftain

I am at turn 100, and I've had the slow safe start that I went for. I've got 6 cities, all built with settlers. No wars. Just entered the renaisance which isn't too bad given I have only just built a single campus. *SPOILER* I have met all civs. I thought this was a continent map, but I must have been mistaken. It looks like a pangea to me.

-I settled in place.
    -Animal husbandry for the horses, then irrigation and astrology for religion. I figured relics would be helpful for culture and tourism. Then I went for cartography to discover the other continents... Policies as usual. State workforce for free military units, then political philosophy.
    -Started with a slinger, then builder (for the horses) and settler, settler, holy site. Got religion on turn 50. Gandhi built stonehenge, but I beat the rest. Also noticably, I decided to harvest the stones and get a very fast hanging gardens.
    -Hurried to get a holy site because I wanted a religion. The next districts were two harbours for trade routes + eureka for cartography. Also buit a campus between the three mountains north of the lake and an industry district. Two theatre sqares so far.
    -I cleared the marsh and built my holy site just east of the capital next to the mountain. Built the industrial zone north-east of the capital next to the iron and two other mined hills. One harbour in the lake and one on the western coast. Theatre sqares south of the holy site. I hope to built some wonders next to it, but it did hurt my food production. It was good farmland, dammit.
    -I have not expanded.much yet. I will try to keep it peaceful for a change, but I might have to take some important wonders in order to speed up the win. Gandhi is doing very well. I will probably have to take his stuff. I have got 6 cities at turn 100.
    -Used the barb card + faith/gold at the start. Changed out the faith/gold as soon as I got a pantheon. Chose divine spark btw. Then I went for classical republic of course. Have the 1g per unit and whatever building boost seems most appropriate.
    -I have met a bunch of city states. So far I am only suserain of one (the science one) but all the others have two envoys. I don't want to piss off the Germans yet.
    -All my neighbours have been peaceful so far, and we are trading a ton.
    -Barbs were mean, but I played slowly and carefully this time, so I stayed on top of them.
    -I am surprised it is a pangea map.

3. guslaet

guslaet Chieftain

In place.

I researched what was boosted and easier to obtain with no particular goal.

Started with Monument betting I would get a Scout from one of the two goody hunts I found in turn 1. Then a builder, then Stonehenge, then a Slinger. Afterwards, I think I did Water Mill, the bought a Settler... then I don't remember, probably Oracle.

After the Oracle I built an Encampment to fulfill a city-state quest. It was a good choice, for it made my horsemen cheap. After that I prioritize building Theatre districts.

Trying to get the better bonuses.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    I built two cities besides my capital. The first one to the northwest, at península write out of the wonder tile. This gave me culture bônus and will give me in short a +4 holy site. The other one was south of the bike lake to the east, right under the whales. As soon as I got two horseman, two arched horsemen and a general (I already had an archer, but lost my warrior and scout to barbarians), I attacked France, together with Japan. I have already conquered three French cities (with two Theatre districts) and the fourth is about to fall (another Theatre). I plan to wipe France (they have two more cities, including Yerevan, which I plan to take out and liberate last to revert some of the warmongering penalties).

Gold and production at first, to build Wonders, horses and walls. Now I have the Great Writer card (already got one, but competing with Kongo.) My governement is Autocracy.

The ones most far away, if I'm not mistaken are Geneva and Kandy. I am the suzerain of Kabul, Preslav and the Merchant one to the South.

Yes. Both France and Japan wanted to be my friends. I was a friend do both, but backstabed France since it was expanding to fast and had killed Yerevan. Kongo doesn't like me because I have not send them missionaries. I plan to take the war out to him because he is too Strong in culture. Gandhi doesn't botter me so far. Japan loves me.

A good source of gold. Helped a lot.

- Any surprises?
    Just how easily I can conquer cities with these horsemen from Scythia.

4. Photi

Photi Governor

Where did you settle your city?

I was under the mistaken belief that i'd get all three production if i settled on the wine, which is not the case. when i moved the warrior west on opening move and saw the forested plains hills that would be in the first ring if settled on the wine, that's where i settled. so far it's been great production, but if i could do it over i would have settled on the plains hill next to the river for the extra housing.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

i have been generally heading towards Printing while picking up other key techs along the way (eg irrigation, writing). After i get to Printing i will head towards Computers. i have been more or less following the early great writer strategy being discussed by Victoria et al in the Gorgo thread over at the strategy and tips forum.

What was your build order?

Monument>Slinger>Slinger>Settler>bought builder>Slinger>Hanging Gardens>Oracle>Theater Square

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

I beelined Drama and Poetry and built a Theater Square in the capital as soon as available. I built the Hanging Gardens to boost D&P, even though the wonder itself is questionable, and as soon as i built it i realized i had spaced off the possibility of the Oracle, so i went straight into building the Oracle afterwards. Got them both, Oracle on T83. Great synergy with the early great writers strategy. I also chose the Divine Spark pantheon, and have built 4 Theater Squares with 2 under construction (though i will switch them out for some builder chops). It's worked great, i have picked up four Great Writers so far. As soon as i met Mvemba a Nzinga, i thought there was going to be major competition, but so far he's been pretty tame in the culture.

How did you place your districts?

Placed my capital's Theater Square next to it and next to both the wonders. Will place my Commercial Hub next the the Theater Square and capital for adjacencies.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Not exactly, right now i have 6 cities, all settled, and it looks like i will settle 2 more and that will be it. Was only planning on about 6, but eight made more sense with map/resources.

How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

First God King and Barb Killer, then +1 production, Wonder discount, and +2 Great Writer points once Scythia became a Classical Republic. I had a feeling there wasn't going to be any conquering, and by the time Political Philosophy came around (later than usual bc i beelined Drama and Poetry) it was clearly apparent wars weren't happening anytime soon, so instead of Oligarchy, Classical Republic was the right choice.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

Quite a few. Had Geneva as Suzerain for a bit, now Gandhi is. Had an early +5 gold trade route to Zanzibar. Zanzibar is on my radar for their cloves and cinnamon.

Were your neighbors peaceful?

Yes, i have met 5, and am declared friends with Catherine, Frederick, Gandhi, and Mvemba. Pretty sure Hojo is coming around, all but one of our relationship modifiers are showing green. I got to Civil Service anticipating alliances, but the trade screen isn't letting me despite being declared friends with those 4. Both sides of the deal must need Civil Service is what i'm thinking. I am now on the track to Feudalism.

How were the Barbarians?

Those are some rich barbs. Cleared 6-7 camps for lots of gold to buy needful things.

Any surprises?

Mvemba not being so OP like he is at higher difficulties. Never realized before this game how much AI civs are sometimes willing to pay for Open Borders. Thanks AIs!$

Spoiler Scythia at a Glance :
    20170602004011_1.jpg 20170601235434_1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  5. Knowtalent

Its a quirk in the map code sometimes you specify continents and get Pangea, sometimes you select Pangea and get continents the first religion one 6otm3 was that way

6. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Wow - Scythia is ridiculously good and kind of overpowered. The starting location equally so in this GOTM.

Where did you settle your city?
    Moved one W to get the 3 production wine tile

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? I beelined straight for drama before even getting political philosophy so I could lay down some early theater districts. For science I went for bronze working for an early encampment to take advantage of the horses (which I had to buy since I moved the settler).

What was your build order? Scout, slinger, builder, monument, slinger, settler, encampment, horseman

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? I placed an encampment as early as possible since there were horses within the capital radius. Then I went for theater districts - I build 4 or 5 of those and several commercial districts.

How did you place your districts? I bought a tile for the encampment and then didn't really care since it was theaters.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Not especially - my plan was to conquer some early neighbors with horsemen so I only built a few settlers early. I think I captured 7 cities and settler for 14 total. A pre-100 domination win seemed doable given the map was connected and not continents.

How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Played God King for a pantheon and grabbed Lady of the Reeds since there were 5 marsh tiles at the start. After that I slotted in the light cavalry production boost. My capital was building horsemen in three turns after stacking the envoy boosts from Kabul and Preslav.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? A bunch - there are a lot of good ones on this map. I cultivated Zanzibar, then Kabul, and took a shot with Kandy in the hopes that I can get a relic or two to speed up the victory.

Were your neighbors peaceful? Kongo tried to be friends but I basically attacked everyone on sight except for India since I completely missed them during my early scouting.

How were the Barbarians? Lots of camps nearby but not an issue at all with early horsemen and the gold boosts were helpful.

Any surprises? I was surprised at how good the staring location was and how easily Scythia can dominate early.

I took out Kongo, and most of France and Japan but spared them a city each. I'm currently at war with India but I missed my early window and they have walls and varu now. They have a relic so I'm just trying to snag that in a peace deal. I got a late religion through conquering a bunch of holy sites. I built the Pyramids and Oracle and faith rushed an early great writer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  7. Rakish

Rakish Chieftain

Turn 100 Sitting at 5/20 tourists, 81 tourism

settled 1 tile west on plains hill, settled 2nd city to the north near the Nat Wonder.

-What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

So my strategy was focus on military district early and to get a settler out asap for the extra culture tiles to the north. then move on to culture and religion districts.

Made an intentional decision to not focus on economic districts this game. I was worried how my GPT would handle all the horsemen and other per turn expenses but Its worked out great. Gold from tiles, good relations/trade route with Zanzibar and Amsterdam as well as good relations with japan and India for GPT trade deals has kept me at ~30GPT for most the game. Having plus 3 amenity cities for most of the game so far helped with this too.

slinger, warrior, warrior, settler, builder, monument(purchased), military district, builder, stable, horse-archers x 8, horsemen x 4

decided I only wanted one slinger for the eureka, as I was planing on mainly horses for my army. build several warriors for barb/exploration duty instead as they are better than slingers at this.

military early, and holy site early for 2nd city

Have 4 settled cities, 3 stolen settlers, Preslav, French and German capital.

Used, all of +2 prophet, general, writer in that order. Have used Autocracy for most the game so far only recently switching to Classical republic in the last 5 turns.
    Used the Raid policy heavily to rush civics, techs and gold purchases, used the wonder prod card several times as-well. ran agoge for horse archers (classed as ranged) and maneuver for horsemen.

Kabul, Amsterdam, Preslav (1 envoy when building army before later conquering) Yerevan, Kandy and liberated Seoul.

To me, yes

Numerous but easily handled and helpful with the gold boosts they provided

- Any surprises?
    Yes I conquered Kandy, sold the city to Germany and then liberated them over a couple of turns to gain quick suzerain status. however this resulted in Kandy being in a bugged state where I couldn't send any more envoys to it as I was still registered semi at war with them even though I was listed suzerain and they joined my war with Germany. Their suzerain bonus also wouldn't work as I discovered cliffs of Dover and didn't get a relic or any extra faith from my previously owned relic.

I haven't used this Conquer-sell-liberation strategy much before so be interested if anyone else has experienced this or something similar?

It was very frustrating as it has really hurt my strategy for relic focus.

Attached Files:

8. Greenlami

Greenlami Chieftain

Oh how I love Scythia!
    Disclaimer: I'm playing in Italian, so I hope I'll translate everything right.

Hills next to the starting poit, for better protection and luxury resources (choose oral tradition). Also, my warrior found mountains on NW on first turn, so I was planning to go that way first for culture bonuses.

Ceramic, irrigation, mining and unlocked all districts
    International commerce, first empire, mysticism then political philosophy, going for public administration

2 warriors, 1 scout, then settlers and then began to focus on developing cities

Built my first one maybe at turn 70, holy site. i'm now building an entartainment complex and a cultural site soon (once I remove swamp)

Near mountains/forest for maximum effect. Did not touch the tile with bonuses next to natural wonders, since I plan to make that a national park in due time

turn 25 city next to river for diamonds, then one no the coast south east near silk and spices. Then another one east of the second for more luxuries, and one above the lake for iron. I plan to buill another one in the north, for silver/iron/dyes.

50% production for colony was a priority, since i found so many luxuries i wanted to gain, then production and faith. Classic republic was my choiuce for my first government

Met a handful of them, priotitized faith and science, then commercial, but keeping a low profile for now

Met Gandhi on turn 25, then Frederick,Congo, England and France. So far I'm on good terms with everyone, planning on doing less wars possible

Quite annoying in the north, had to pèospone my sewttling there for a few turns, but nothing awful

- Any surprises?
    I already played as Tomysir before and love her, plus I'm enjoying very much this map, so full of opportunities.

Spoiler :

gotm16_turn 104.PNG

Knowtalent likes this.
  9. Knowtalent

Welcome to the forums and the Game of the Month, everything translated quite well :D

10. Steve Boyd

Steve Boyd Chieftain

Turn 100. Detailed play log attached.
    - Where did you settle your city? 1 tile W , and 2nd city north by the Fjord. 3rd city north shore of the inland sea near the Iron, 4th settler headed for the south shore. I'm probably going to annoy India when I get there

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Set up Tech - AH, mining, astrology, pottery, Irrigation, Writing, Masonry, Archery, Horseback Riding. Policies were Foreign Trade, Mysticism, Early Empire, Craftsmanship, State Workforce, Pol. Philosophy, and then Drama and Poetry, mil training, Theology, and recorded History. After I got Recorded history I queued up whatever gave me culture points.

- What was your build order? Pokrovkha: Builder, Monument, settler, purch trader, Slinger, Holy Site, Builder, Oracle . Chertomlyk : Monument, Builder (purch).

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Holy site as soon as I could. Theater squares as I was able.

- How did you place your districts? Generally to maximize bonuses. I'm keeping the area S of Piopiotahi open for a future national park; since my HS is on the west side of town, that gives me nice woods to boost the faith. Apparently building a Theater Square on a tile that generates culture kills the culture bonus. Theaters in the 2 cities are both E of town.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Built 3, 1 settler on the way, captured 0. No wars at all actually.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Discipline and God-King to start with, and eventually added the Great Prophet, Great Writer, and swapped Urban PLanning for God-King (need the production more.)

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Zanzibar, Kabul (Suzerain), Preslav, Buenos Aries, Toronto, Seoul, Yerevan, and Geneva (captured by Germany).

- Were your neighbors peaceful? Yes. No wars at all so far

- How were the Barbarians? Annoying at first, all made some stupid attacks that gained me XP. Not complaining.

- Any surprises? Stupid moves by the barbs; especially as I usually play on Prince. Forgot that Kurgans actually need to be worked to generate faith, fixed that after a couple of turns.

SCORE: 8th in Science - 13 techs researched, 11.9 science/turn produced. Germany is #1 with 20 techs and 49.6 sci/turn. That could make fighting him problematic.
    #1 in Culture - generating 24 Tourism/turn, 39.9 culture/turn.
    #6 in Domination - I've got 85 military and a score of 102. Japan's #1 with a strength of 268 and a score of 108.
    #2 in Religion - 4 cities converted, 12 faith/turn. Need to build more kurgans. Ghandi's in the lead with 5 cities and 35.6 faith/turn.
    Overall score - I'm in 7th with 102, Ghandi is in the lead at 139. Comparing detailed scores, I'm mostly behind in Empire, Tech, and wonders. I can definitely still catch up.
    Culture - I don't get this. Right now according to my Culture score, I have 18 tourists at home (as do Frederick and an unmet player.) If I hover over the suitcase for the other civs, it shows a significant number of tourists per turn current and lifetime, but the Visiting Tourists column is 0/19 the whole way down?Is there something that has to unlock first?

Going forward, I'm gonna build City #4 on the south side of the lake, get some maritime industry going, and start taking out India and Germany. Also spreading faith - I may back into a religious victory if I'm not careful.

Attached Files:

11. Greenlami

Greenlami Chieftain

Tourism can be a bit of a mess to understand on first sight. To gain a Cultural victory you need to attract more foreign travellers than the maximum numer of a different civ.

For example, if you have have 90 local travellers, with a Tourism value of 40, you need only to gain 87 if the closest civ to cultural victory is India with 86 local travellers . Local tourists are "on holiday" in their civ, but sometimes they travel abroad: these tourist are far less, since you need high tourism value to attract them to your civ; basically, you need to develop tourism more to attract them, but will slowly become more if you keep biulding wonders/districts/artifacts.

The hovering message over the suitcases does not actually show tourists but the Tourism value (yours is shown on top of the map if you have the standard ui), the actual one and the total (I suppose it represents the sum of all values since the beginning of the game).
    I am still not sure as how the local travellers are generated though, since right now I have more local travellers than another civ even if they have more tourism value, and have the same number of foreign travellers in my civ.

Steve Boyd likes this.
  12. Steve Boyd

Steve Boyd Chieftain

That helps a bit, I think. See below for what I'm talking about. That Unmet user I'm tooltipped over has no lifetime tourism because I haven't met them yet, but the ones I've met do.

Attached Files:

13. Rakish

Rakish Chieftain

Yes you dont gain any foreign tourists per turn with a civ you are yet to officially meet. Once you start generating tourism, its important to meet all of the major civs.

My best advice would be hop over to the civ6 strategy & tips forum an find the sticky tourism guide by Victoria. Finding the section about victory screen should answer most/all your questions. It's a very informative guide; one of the the best around here.

14. Steve Boyd

Steve Boyd Chieftain

That much I'd figured out.

Did so and thank you. Very informative.

15. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Scythia turn 105. I have 10 cities; 6 settled (including 2 from captured settlers), 3 conquered from France, 1 from Kongo. I settled at turn 2 across the river for better first-ring tiles, built 2x slinger, worker, slinger, settler for a coastal spot to NE next to the culture-rich NW. Not much trouble with barbarians or the AI once I had a few Saka Horse Archers in play:- France fell fairly easily and I have just captured the Kongolese capital. Given the map layout, I think I will play for a domination-focussed cultural victory as the path of least resistance. I have a couple of triremes searching for two unmet AI. I am at war with everyone else except Japan. I took pasture culture for my pantheon and founded the third religion with the relic bonuses and cathedrals. I am suzerain of Yerevan and hope to create a few martyrs to boost early tourism. So far so good.

16. DogBoy

DogBoy Chieftain

-Where did you settle your city?
    I moved 1w to settle on the hill.

Mining, Animal Husbandry to start. Then since I killed so many barbs and get eurekas I went for Bronze Working and Archery. I finally got Horseback Riding on turn 56 and started building Saka Horse Archers. For policies, Foreign Trade, Craftsmanship, Military Tradition, State Workforce to start since I had eurekas for them.

Slinger, Builder, Slinger. Then since I noticed I had a lot of room to expand I built 2xSettlers.

First district was Encampment on turn 41. I wanted to start pumping out Saka Horse Archers.

Commercial Hubs along rivers. Only 1 Encampment.

No, and I wish I had. If I had known there that so much room I would have expanded faster. I settled 5 cities and captured 2 from India, for a total of 7 cities.

Started with Discipline and God King. Then switched to Conscription and Urban Planning. On turn 54 I got Oligarchy, and switched to Agoge, Urban Planning, Charismatic Leader, Strategos

I met Zanzibar, Kabul, Geneva, Preslav, Kandy, Amsterdam, Jerusalem, Seoul. I made Zanzibar, Kabul my suzerain.

Both India and Kongo declared war on me on turn 57. India regret his decision since I captured 2 of his cities and about to capture a third. I'm going to finish him off.

Very nice with all this room. Helped to level up my units.

- Any surprises?
    The Saka Horse Archer is weak against cities. This is my first time to play Tomyris.

17. antimony

antimony Chieftain

I decided to go for a reliquaries-based strategy, since I've never tried religious culture victory and it seems like a reasonable way to rush culture at medium difficulty levels. The starting position is particularly good for Stonehenge + Mont St-Michel. I founded the first religion, picked reliquaries and Wat (to compensate for de-prioritizing campuses), and got one relic from a tribal village. I'm hoping to get most tourism from relics and supplement with a few GWs.

On the hill 1 tile west.

I started with Astrology, then Mining for chops + quarries. Then currency for CH, shipbuilding for water travel. For culture, prioritizing Divine Right after Pol.Phi.

Monument, Builder, then rushed Stonehenge. After this, 2 slingers, settler, then holy site. Should probably have built more scouts.

I founded the religion with Stonehenge. I build a holy site soon after. Prioritizing either holy site or CH in each city, will add theatre once they reach size 7.

5 settled. I settled two cities near the eastern border (between my capital and France's), then two nearby near Zanzibar and Kabul (the latter for those Natural Wonder tiles).

Currently running Scripture and the Great Writer boost policy, looking forward to Meritocracy once I research Civil Service.

Until Geneva, only met commercial and military ones. Sent 3 envoys to Zanzibar, saving other envoys until I get a cultural or religious one.

Yes, it was easy to befriend France, India and Kongo. Japan the only other religion founder I met yet.

Suprisingly easy. My first warrior got a promotion from a village, which combined with the Scythian UA was enough to beat the barb camps unaided.

- Any surprises?
    A lot of culture-focused Civs in that game, with France, Kongo and Japan (also assuming the Eastern Orthodoxy founder near the South Pole is Russia).

18. Gideon Griebenow

Gideon Griebenow Chieftain

Ah! Another founder of Omianism! ;)

19. Gideon Griebenow

Gideon Griebenow Chieftain

- Turn 100
    I have 6/16 Tourists. There is 1 unmet player, and I only very recently met Mvemba, and Montezuma not much earlier. I am leading in Science (19 against 18 and 45.1pt against 27.4pt), Culture (56pt Tourism against 16pt and 8pt), Domination (202 Military Strength against 173) and Score (202 against 122, 112, 108, 100, 98, 90 and 61). I would have loved to have done some more with Religion, but at least I'd be able to snag the last Great Writer with my accumulated Faith. I've got the first three already. I've got two Amphitheaters with the third ready in 6 turns. I've built Theater Square Festival a few times, but it might not be as useful, as I need Tourism now rather than Culture (is that a correct statement?). I am now finishing Machinery for the Crossbowmen and will then get Printing in 12 turns. I should probably have gotten there earlier, but I didn't plan that far ahead earlier on, since I haven't played a culture game before. Having all the Great Writers makes it a no-brainer. I'm currently getting Humanism civic for the Archaeological Museums. I would appreciate any comments.

- Overall strategy
    I wanted to have some gain from Tomyris' abilities, but did not want to go the 6-10 slingers into archers Deity mode route, but rather play actual Culture. Also, it would take a long time for me to get the cheaper army civic, so a large army was out of the question. I went with only 3 Slingers upgraded to Archers and two Warriors, trying to hit early and not as hard. I got the Archery boost from a GH, so I didn't have to run the risk of trying to kill a Barbarian Spearman with a Slinger. After taking a few cities I would focus on Theatre Squares and Amphiteaters.

On the hill 1W, mainly for the close Wine.

I wanted to get Stonehenge for the religion, and decided I would eventually get Lady of the Reeds and Marshes, since that would give me the quickest gain. Since there were 5 Marshes around my Capital, the 3F1P hexes were decent without having any builders early on. So, I totally skipped Builders for a long time, but luckily got one in a GH. I went for Foreign Trade first since I wasn't going to improve any hexes soon. I ran Classical Republic as soon as I could and currently have Urban Planning (+1P per city, from the start), Meritocracy (+1 Culture per District, although I'll cancel this as I don't really need culture, but rather tourism), Merchant Confederation (+1 Gold per Envoy) and Literary Tradition (+2 Great Writer)

3x Archers, Monument, 2x Warriors, Stonehenge (Turn 42), Builder, Oracle.
    I have purchased some early buildings to get my settled cities off to a better start, and have also had to buy some hexes to get to important resources.

Fairly late, after my army and 2 Wonders. I've built only Theatre Squares up to turn 100, although Holy Site is next up.

Nothing special, really.

I have 9, of which 5 (including Capital) was settled, 2 conquered from India and 2 City States. On my first attack wave I went south, but was about 5/6 turns too late to take Delhi, since it got a Varu while I was trying to work it down, and became too risky. So I killed what I could, pouched a worker and got Madurai and some resources for peace. Luckily, Madurai had 6 marshes in its range, so I would have decent hexes without Builders. I then built 4 (2 free) Saka Horse Archers (swapping policies to gain the +50% production) before heading back for India. I got an undefended Settler.
    6 of my 9 cities are Ecstatic, 3 are happy. 3 have Slowed Growth Rates.

Since I already got the Faith from the Relic, I went with +1P in each city. For my Pantheon I went for Lady of the Reeds and Marshes because my builders were going to be so late from going Monument first and trying for Stonehenge, and the +1P made the Marsh hexes quite good. I chose Reliquaries and Lay Ministry for my Religion. Lay ministry wasn't such a good choice, since I didn't actually build a Holy Site, so only my Capital's Theatre Square gained +1 Culture.

I am Suzerain of Kabul (nice combat experience boost), Zanzibar (the Amenities means my cities have been Ecstatic for the most part, giving a useful boost) and Seoul (only recently, so no Eureka yet). I conquered Preslav and Geneva after my initial Indian war, since my units had to do something useful and I most probably was not going to be their Suzerain. I aslo met Amsterdam (no Envoys) and Jerusalem (currently at war due to Frederick). Three of the city states are looking for Religious Conversion, but I don't have a Holy Site yet.

France was very friendly, but Frederick and Hojo eventually declared war on me together (turn 90). India didn't stand a chance, since I went for them early. I left Delhi and made peace when Frederick and Hojo declared war on me. On second thought, that was probably a good idea, since I need tourists from India.

No real influence apart from the first "wave", which was easily handled. Initial Warrior explored N and W until I met Kabul and France (which was quite far, so I'd be able to block that land offlater with a city), then turned back to defend. I think I cleared 3 outposts, of which one was very early on with the starting Warrior (to the NW of the starting location). I got the following from Goody Huts: Gold, Experience, Relic (yeah!), Builder a couple of turns before I could actually use it.

- Any surprises?
    I've never gone into early Culture before, so I had to plan more than usual and think about how my choices would pan out. I'm sure I made many inefficient decisions along the way. At least I'm getting all the Great Writers, which helps keep their culture down. The few wars I've waged were actually not too risky and I think I haven't lost a unit yet (of course, healing when winning helps), rather turning back or getting some gain from making peace.

Attached Files: