6otM173 AAR

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM173 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving the VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
- What were your initial 5-10 builds in the capital or other early cities?

- Early order for technology/civics? What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- How many cities did you settle and/or capture? Where did you settle your first few cities?
- What were key production/purchase focuses?
Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors were most important; when and why?
- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
- How did the map affect your gameplay?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

If this is a replay, please indicate 'REPLAY' at the top of your post. If you conduct regular restarts, please indicate 'RELOADS' at the top of your post. More posting helps us all get play better as we understand the methods of others, but want to clearly distinguish between a first run through without reloads and other submissions as it is much harder to recover in game from the mistakes we all make.

I have never completed one of these until now... I am of course talking about a Game of the Month
Turn 225 Culture, which is about 100 turns quicker than I have ever won a CIV 6 game.
Able to complete it in on sitting, no problem!

Attachments

• AutoSave_0227.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
I have never completed one of these until now... I am of course talking about a Game of the Month
Turn 225 Culture, which is about 100 turns quicker than I have ever won a CIV 6 game.
Able to complete it in on sitting, no problem!
Welcome to Game of the Month!

Culture victory turn 197.

I started out agressively and captured 2 cities from Poland and made peace in hope that I could get some tourism from them later. But their last 2 cities revolted and joined me instead so she was exterminated.
Switched to a peaceful game after inital rush having around 10 cities by turn 80. I made a multitude of mistakes this game and I think I could have finished considerably quicker if I replayed it.
Anyway, a fun map to play and I always love playing Gorgo!

1702823373829.png

Attachments

• GORGO 197 1360 AD_culture.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Honestly, I posted my game in the wrong Game of the Month. It should be here, lol.
Welcome to the Game of the Month! :wavey:

In future, if you have a problem where you post in the wrong place, please report the post and one of us will move it to the proper place for you. :)
I moved your original post over here and deleted the post you placed in this thread.
Thank you for sharing your game. :thumbsup:

Culture Victory T90

found a relic t22 so I focuse Getting a Religion and getting Religion with Reliquaries, Wilhelmina was sweet enough to sell 1 relic to me early as well and my Newly build Apaddana had the show room for it :D
other than that i was counting resources on my continet trying to ensure monopolies to multiply those sweet relics and i Succesfull, for the same reason i took out all but 1 Polish City all together my Luxury res ended up ading a +483% moddifier to my tourism :D
20231218122914_1.jpg

CV 91

Spoiler t92 :

20231222005055_1.jpg

Ah, I see that Michael got there 1 turn before me! :D
I wasn't fortunate enough to find early relics - but I did eventually get my hands on one at about t50 - and then bought another one 2-3 turns before winning. So I had to smash a Stonehenge and use the dreaded Reliquaries belief for the second time in my life (ugh how I hate it!).

The Hoplites just massacred everyone, I had a very hard time keeping Sweden alive - I even tried gifting them one of their cities back in the peace deal, but it flipped. Eventually I was able to capture one of their cities off of Netherlands, and revive my faithful tourists.
Also, I couldn't scout the last two civs, I think I got to them both in the last 10 turns or so. But overall I am very happy with the result! :)

Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• AutoSave_0092.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
T97 CV REPLAY

Wow, wow, wow. I would like to thank Michael Lindskou and Chrumo for the ideas that made the difference in this game. TBH I was a bit fed up with the fact that I was never able to do a real quick CV, now I know what I was missing.
You have to bare down your play to the minimum viable stuff for your victory type and lots of chops...

Great game, great experience, thanks for the ideas and thanks for the effort that was put in creating this game.

Attachments

• GORGO 98 450 BC.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-12-23 192441.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 192441.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
REPLAY Culture Victory T281

Really fun game! In my first attempt I was just starting to engage w/ Poland when Egypt surprised DOW on me and took my capital and 2nd city while my army was all to the south. Restarted and made sure to keep Egypt friendly this time. Took out Poland pretty early and then expanded to about 12 cities by T110 or so. The end game was a slog, but focus on Eiffel, Seaside Resorts and National parks finally got me over the line. I'm not good at culture victory, but I've learned from the results above how important religion and faith can be to a quick win. Will definitely be practicing with more culture attempts and using the Monopolies and Corporations mode a lot more in my own games!

Thanks for the game!!

Gotm173 Screenshot.png

Attachments

• Gotm173 T281.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
REPLAY Culture Victory T281

Really fun game! In my first attempt I was just starting to engage w/ Poland when Egypt surprised DOW on me and took my capital and 2nd city while my army was all to the south. Restarted and made sure to keep Egypt friendly this time. Took out Poland pretty early and then expanded to about 12 cities by T110 or so. The end game was a slog, but focus on Eiffel, Seaside Resorts and National parks finally got me over the line. I'm not good at culture victory, but I've learned from the results above how important religion and faith can be to a quick win. Will definitely be practicing with more culture attempts and using the Monopolies and Corporations mode a lot more in my own games!

PS If someone can tell me how to take a screen shot I'll edit my post. Thanks for the game!!
Try Windows key + Shift + S combo, it should bring up the snipping tool.

CV, turn 158/159

Been struggling to get motivated to finish games recently, but managed to get through this one.

Did not discover any early relic, so did not choose reliquaries. Amazing to see how even a single relic with reliquaries/monopolies can give such an immense reward!

Went instead with standard work ethic (sacred path as pantheon) and Great Works strategy. Made a number of mistakes that hampered me:

1. Did not realize that I had lost suz of Chinguetti for some time, and therefore lost control of an improved luxury, and therefore lost a monopoly.
2. Was very slow to discover the last two civs- and when I did, Byzantium was on the verge of eliminating Georgia, and I could do nothing to help her. A few turns later Georgia was gone, so no tourists possible.
3. Wanted control of luxuries in Poland's lands, so took some of her cities. Hoped she might survive but she was dying of loyalty. So I actively eliminated her for the +5 Era score, since she was going to die anyway. But this prompted an Emergency and 3 other civs DOWed me, which meant no open borders or trading for a very long time.....
4. Recognized very late that I could get monopolies on the second small adjacent continent, as the luxuries only had a few copies each. By the end I had 7 monopolies, the most I've had in any game.

I thought it was a pretty good run but I guess I missed the boat. Still a fun game!

Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• GOTM 173 Cul Vic GORGO 159 .Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 2
CV T192. Nice game. I didn't get a relic, but bought one in mid game and martyred another one. Besides those, I had 2 music, 21 writings and 21 art, so those made up most of my tourism, together with a few wonders. Additional culture from Piopiotahi and Giant's causeway was quite nice as well. I got a late religion from golden age +4 prophet points, which was not bad, though the neighbors' religions were harrassing me a bit.

Captured 4 cities from Poland after she DoWed me quite early. Had to capture one of her cities probably 15 times due to loyalty trouble, but suddenly a few of the closer cities gained a few more population and the situation stabilized. Egypt DoWed me at the same time later in the war with Poland. It turned out to be impossible to capture her cities, but I did a lot of pillaging for once, which proved useful especially for faith and gold.

Attachments

• GORGO 192 1310 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
civ6gorgoculturewin.png

Turn 163 cultur victor.
Am just reinstall the game after long layoff.

Took out Poland, Ned, Swe with Hoplites and archers/xbow.
Had some emergencies against me and at war with everyone except Egypt for most of the game.
Snagged every artist writer musician but lots couldn't be used. AI never had relics or any great work. Got about 15 or so wonders.
There aren't many culture guides, is it better go holy site theatre vs campus theatre? How can you spawn relics, I had Mont St Michel but AI didn't push religion much so I couldn't sacrifice apostles, should I have roamed apostles in enemy territory and hope they kill it?
I will take any suggestion and try one of the older civ6gotm culture thanks!

Attachments

• GORGO 164 1030 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
For the guy up above that say you suck on Civ, I am worse ;-). I got the Culture Victory at step 384 and for me that is the earliest I have won a Culture Victory, especially since this is only my second Culture Victory in total. And the first one I won by mistake when going for a Science Victory. However, I am still happy because this is just my second Curury.

This game was both a REPLAY and a RELOAD.

I reloaded several times because either Egypt or Poland or both started Suprise Wars on me and I lost cities every time except once where I went all the way to just loose to England. Egypt did it every time I tried this game, probably since I settled a city just north of my capital and the Mountains' ridge in every game and that was a good city spot.

I rushed Religion every time since we had a natural wonder close to we started out.

In this winning game, Poland started a war against me quite late but this time I manage to turn the war to Jadwiga instead and win all cities except three.

Honest question, how on earth do you manage to win so quickly?

Best regards
/Thomas

Attachments

• Skärmbild 2023-12-31 162433.jpg
    Skärmbild 2023-12-31 162433.jpg
    869.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Skärmbild 2023-12-31 162523.jpg
    Skärmbild 2023-12-31 162523.jpg
    925.3 KB · Views: 19
For the guy up above that say you suck on Civ, I am worse ;-). I got the Culture Victory at step 384 and for me that is the earliest I have won a Culture Victory, especially since this is only my second Culture Victory in total. And the first one I won by mistake when going for a Science Victory. However, I am still happy because this is just my second Curury.

This game was both a REPLAY and a RELOAD.

I reloaded several times because either Egypt or Poland or both started Suprise Wars on me and I lost cities every time except once where I went all the way to just loose to England. Egypt did it every time I tried this game, probably since I settled a city just north of my capital and the Mountains' ridge in every game and that was a good city spot.

I rushed Religion every time since we had a natural wonder close to we started out.

In this winning game, Poland started a war against me quite late but this time I manage to turn the war to Jadwiga instead and win all cities except three.

Honest question, how on earth do you manage to win so quickly?

Best regards
/Thomas
Great job! Nice work sticking with it. I am also interested in a speedy Cultural walkthrough. I can get pretty quick Conquest, and quicker Religion. My Science understanding is good, but I still have high 200s Culture no matter how I press. I GET the idea, but I can't seem to make any headway with my Tourists... quickly enough.

Diplomatic Victory on turn 371. Clearly not a big deal in this crowd, but it was my first game completed above Prince level, my quickest victory ever, and my first attempt at a Diplomatic win. It was a nice touch to have the all-woman lineup of leaders.

I started out focusing on building up my military, hoping to get in a quick rush before people got all fussy about warmongering. But I never felt confident in attacking Poland or Sweden, which became the two strongest powers in the game. Digression: I was basing that on our respective Domination scores, but it's now clear to me those are nonsense. How can you tell how strong another civ's military is before you attack them? I also built a couple holy sites and managed to snag the last religion, which I named "Tottenham Hotspur". I used the Divine Spark belief. I kept building Settlers and had 16 cities by around turn 200 or so.

About turn 167 I almost quit in frustration, because I was dead last in science and culture and only middling on faith and domination, but I decided to stick it out. Once I was able to start seriously spamming Acropoles I caught up on culture, and was among the leaders in culture and tourism by the end of the game. I never did catch up on science, though, and was still last at the end. That was a huge problem because I simply couldn't compete militarily. Around turn 340 or so both Poland and Sweden declared war on me (the only war I was in all game) and easily destroyed almost my entire army in a series of tank vs. Giant Death Robot showdowns. But I was able to get them to go away for only one city and a huge amount of gold. More aggressive AIs could have easily wiped me out. (I see by the end of the game I was somehow leading in domination score, which makes it clear to me that "score" is nonsense)

Policy wise, I always stuck with the ones that gave me extra envoys and the one that gave me gold for each envoy, which by midgame had me swimming in dough. I was suzerain of 8 of the 12 city-states by the end, and used policies that gave me science and culture for that. I built a whole bunch of walls, because those give you tourism and diplomatic favor in the late game, as well as increasing your chances of surviving to the late game as a peaceful civ.

In the end, I was able to vote myself the victory points to get me over the top, but if that had failed (which it would have, barely, if literally all the other civs put all their diplomatic favor into defeating it), I still would have completed the Statue of Liberty next turn.

I enjoyed this game very much and am looking forward to the next one!

Attachments

• AutoSave_0371.Civ6Save
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.
You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom