1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM21 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Aug 14, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM21 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - When did you get your Great Prophet?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. antimony

antimony Chieftain

My plan was to get Mamluks as fast as possible, however I missed too many inspirations to get Feudalism and Mercenaries early. I took one city from Gandhi before he had walls and Varus, so I made peace for a good amount of GPT. I got stirrups around turn 85 and upgraded 4 Mamluks at full cost, which with a ram and minimal archer support was enough to get Madrid.

Capital 1 tile SW to get all resources in the first ring. Second city 4 tiles NE of the capital for forests and mountain proximity.
    Prioritized the line to stirrups, taking a detour to writing and astronomy when I was ready to build my first and second districts in the capital.
    For policies, given that I was not able to get feudalism and mercenaries on time to accelerate the Mamluks, I should perhaps have gone to Recording History and Theology first to get Arabia's science-religion engine going. Right now the only advantage of feudalism first was getting more builder charges earlier.
    - What was your build order? Scout, Worker, 3 slingers, settler.
    - When did you get your Great Prophet? Not sure, around turn 50?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Gandhi before T10, Philip and Harald later. I know Qin is in the game since Spain conquered Xi'an.
    Campus just after I had 5 archers (so around T40). Prioritized campus then holy sites in my first cities, might change it to holy site first and add in a few commercial hubs for the eurekas.
    - Did you try to build any Wonders? No.
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    I settled two cities after my capital and took one from India, then build infrastructure while waiting for Mamluks. Just conquered Madrid and will continue to conquer Spain.
    Jerusalem, Yerevan, Kumasi and Brussels. After getting 3 to Kumasi for the bonus trade route culture, I'm focusing on the two religious ones.
    Yes, until I declared war on Gandhi.
    There were two camps near Cairo but between Jerusalem, Gandhi and me they were easily dealt with.
    - Any surprises?
    Got stirrups from a tribal village which saved me a few turns of research but messed with a couple chariot pre-builds.

3. redrum68

redrum68 Chieftain

So after founding a religion, my founding city which was the only city that had my religion lost majority due to nearby pressure. Is there any way to get it back to my religion or build religious units of my religion? I never really bother with religion since its pretty useless except for cheap victories so not sure if I can no longer win religious victory.

Moderator Action: Moved this post and the two following from the Announcement thread. Once you open the save, please use the Opening Action thread to avoid the chance of spoilers. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2017
  4. antimony

antimony Chieftain

5. redrum68

redrum68 Chieftain

6. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

2 tiles South to get the extra food from the cows. Settled Sana'a along the river to the northwest to get Cocoa, and also seemed the best spot in general.

Beelined Archery for an early rush against Gandhi. Similarly beelined Agoge to churn out some Slingers and then Archers.

Slinger, Builder, Slinger, Slinger, Archer, Archer...

Popped up in my capital before I'd even built a Holy Site! Maybe around Turn 40/50? Had to wait til I conquered Delhi and its Holy Site before I could found Islam.

Found Gandhi within a few turns. Harald's Scout popped up shortly afterwards.

Encampment after the initial wave of Archers. Captured two Holy Sites from Indian cities, built one in Cairo. Ran a defiicit for a while but am now fixing that with a bunch of Commercial Hubs.

- Did you try to build any Wonders?
    Certainly not.

Have settled three and conquered four from India, and then Norway (who had conquered two of Gandhi's). Had to pause when walls and Archers started popping up. Have now got Crossbows, and Mamluks, but need to save up a little money to upgrade Chariots and Archers before I resume conquering China and Spain. Running total: 8.

First Government Oligarchy for the combat boost. Now working towards Mercenaries for cheaper upgrades.

Jerusalem and Yerevan might be useful to keep around for a Religious win. I will get around to conquering Kumasi soon enough, but wanted to rush Gandhi and Harald first.

Gandhi was Gandhi (RIP), but Harald declared on him before I did!

With my Army in India, I held off a slightly troublesome attack on Cairo with an Archer, and it is now safely behind walls. The gap between what was India and my capital was a fertile spawning ground for Horsemen and Horse Archers which have caused a bit of bother, killing some of my Archers and Chariots. They are now more or less dealt with.

- Any surprises?
    Not really.

Spoiler Turn 101 Screenshot :

7. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Arabia Turn 115. I have 9 cities (4 settled), 4 captured from India (including their capital) and Jerusalem.

- Where did you settle your city?
    I settled 1 SW for more production tiles close to city centre.

Infrastructure and military techs (archery – iron – stirrups) and military policies (Feudalism – Mercenaries) then religious ones.

I built slinger x2, builder, slinger, settler, spearman (in case of Varu attack). City 2 was to E on the nearest river bend (next to ivory).

The Last Prophet arrived very quickly, around turn 50.

Gandhi found me within 10 turns. I was notified that Harald DoW on Gandhi (about turn 20) before I met him.

I built an early encampment in capital for civic boosts but missed out on an early GG.

- How did you place your districts?
    I built 2 Campuses (Cairo, Jerusalem) and a Commercial District (in City 2) and have second Commercial and Holy Site districts near completion. I also have 4 additional Holy Sites and a Harbour from Indian cities (plus Stonehenge), but need to convert these cities to my religion as a priority, once I get Inquisitors online.

First target was Jerusalem to obtain a Holy Site (using archers, warriors and spearman). I founded Islam there using the Last Prophet GP. I took Work Ethic and Mosques as first beliefs. 2 additional cities were founded, on the S coast near Cliffs of Dover and further E on river with quarries and citrus. I built up a squad of 6 war chariots (with ram support) whilst working towards Feudalism – Stirrups, then upgraded to Mamluks and attacked India. I quickly captured Delhi and 3 surrounding cities, leaving them 1 city further W when peace was brokered as War Weariness accumulated significantly.

Initially used for barb bonus and faith generation for Pantheon. I took Stone Circles as Pantheon so that I could build up Faith to purchase missionaries asap. Then production bonuses for settlers/ builders or military.

I am suzerain of Yerevan and Kumasi and cultivating Brussels. I conquered Jerusalem and several unmet CS seem to have been defeated.

I have met 5 other Civs but have much exploring to do:- I need a navy at some point but Norway already has caravels prowling around so I may stick to land surveying at present. My plan is to continue military expansion against Norway then Spain, whilst nurturing Islam in my cities before religious spread.

After a sharp initial encounter with a barb camp near capital, they have been fairly quiet.

- Any surprises?
    No more than usual. I rejected a couple of peace deals offered by India which included Great Works, to avoid possible exploits.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  8. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Chieftain

Arabia turn 100 ish
    Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    Capital was one tile SW.I went 5 NE for my 2nd to get iron and coffee.
    What was your build order?
    Scout,3 slingers.
    What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    I raced for the Mamluks.Policies were a race for mamluks as well.
    When did you get your Great Prophet?
    Not real sure lol.
    How long did it take to find your neighbors?
    I found Gandhi,Harald and Quin pretty quickly although the latter two found me.
    How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    Encampment as soon as I was able then holy site.I had to build commercial to fund my army and entertainment to keep the proles happy.
    Did you try to build any Wonders?
    No.
    Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Just the one lol.
    How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Production.
    What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    Jerusalem,Kumasi,and Yerevan.Yerevan Gandhi was on Jerusalem.
    Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Yes,but I'm not going to be.
    How were the Barbarians?
    Not bad.
    Any surprises?
    Gandhi next door.

9. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Chieftain

I'm still pretty new to Civ6, having only played a couple of games to completion, and only won on Diety in a dual with Catherine. Not sure how Religion works in Civ6, but thought I would just wing it and learn on the fly. I thought the archer rush was probably still workable at Diety ... I guess you just have to rush faster than I was. :)

- Where did you settle your capital city?
    North on the coffee. cool how I got the amenity immediately even though I didn't have plantation tech yet. is this the way it's supposed to work?

Your second city?
    I was hoping my second city was going to an enemy city, but I arrived too late on India's doorstep with may archers (turn 35 I think, right after Ghandi completed Stonehenge in an expansion city). I wasn't making progress against the city, fending off Indian troops, and the cities were all already 30 defense strength without walls - I think (don't know how that works. I guess they had strong garrisons?). Then the Varus showed up. uh-oh!
    So I took a sweet peace deal from Ghandi and backed off, and forwarded settled a second city close to him in the mountain pass. Maybe I should have settled that there before attacking him and used that as the upgrade city for my archers? don't know. a replay is in order for sure. need to get to there quicker. I was peaceful till I got Mamluks.

I went basically Archery, Writing, BronzeWorking, Stirrups. And Theology, Reformed Church. I restarted the attack on India after having Mamluks.

Scout, Slinger, Slinger, Slinger, ...

- When did you get your Great Prophet? the last one (automatic), around turn 50 I think

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? 10 ten turns maybe? warrior found Yerevan, scout found Jerusalem, and Ghandi's scout wandered in over the mountain pass.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? fairly soon I think. I built Campus first. maybe should have gone Encampment first.

- Did you try to build any Wonders? nope.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? built two (the Capital and one expansion). captured two Indian cities by around turn 100.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? production and faith focused

I think I found all the City States on this continent. putting priority on Religious cities (three of them), but there is big competition for them.

- Were your neighbors peaceful? no, there seems to be a lot of warring going on between everyone.

- How were the Barbarians? not so bad. I was expecting worse. In other Diety games I played I had intense Barb rushes on the Cap, but not this game. just luck of the draw I think where the Barb camps spawn.

- Any surprises? Yes, lots! I'm not sure about the religious units and how they work. Missionaries seem so cheap compared to Apostles, and have the same number of charges and about the same strength, so not sure why I should use Apostles. I bought some anyway, just to see, and I can see they have various promotions which are cool. but not sure of the difference in actions ("Spread Religion" versus others - like "Evanglize", I think. what's the difference?

India is going down, will probably settle for peace after taking Delhi. My plan is to take out the other holy city on my Continent (Madrid), then take China and Norway down a few pegs, before settling for peace on my continent and figuring out how to handle the undiscovered world. there are two other religions somewhere.

10. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

In general, Missionaries are good at converting cities that don't yet have a majority religion, but less good at converting those that do.

So you're going to want to invest in Apostles to spread your religion, as they (as you've noticed) benefit from very powerful promotions to help convert cities. They are also tougher in Theological Combat, which is a powerful way of spreading your religion (often much better than simply trying to convert). If you can get enough Faith output, you won't have any trouble getting lots of Apostles. The cost rises, but not by much.

In addition to spreading religion, Apostles can Evangelise a new Belief. This adds a new belief to your religion (as Great Prophets did in Civ V). They can also start an Inquisition, allowing you to build Inquisitors (which can remove foreign faiths from your own cities).

I would recommend using the first few Apostles to secure the best (remaining) new beliefs before sending them off on conversion missions. Given that the goal of this GotM is a Religious Victory, you'd be wise to start an Inquisition ASAP too, otherwise you'll be vulnerable to having your religion wiped out by enemy Missionaries and Apostles, and then you'll lose!

Arnold_T likes this.