1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM22 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Sep 6, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM22 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

T148 Cultural Victory 720 AD

Strategy

I saw little strong production around my city and decided to go seaside resort strategy, made sense a bit with the no trading works/relics and Pairidaeza.
    I enjoy it more anyway as the end planning makes it more interesting and its not to "win" but to enjoy.
    Domination strategy, beat up the other civs so their domestic culture stays low while I push science to get to resorts , preparing a few resort cities with workers ready to build before I got to resorts.
    Spoiler :

Roughly what happened
    2 Horses screams horseman start but I did diverge on my way to them which is supposedlty not very clever.
    My first city I was torn between going north or south, I was a little worried about the roman in the north attacking Toronto (badly) so went south for a sailing eureka.
    Got 2 campus early and pushed horses then took out Rome before going roaming north east to hit china and Macedon.
    I was very surprised when I found it was not a Pangea as per the description
    My scout found a nice path to Gorgo so up with some chariots into knights and actross the sea to Gorgo then on into Pericles. I visited Gilga but left him alone and went finally for Cleo... while I had been slowed it was not big deal as Pericles was the main culture eater to stop
    I built the Pyramids but no other wonders... Pyramids are very important to a Seaside victory and an early one cannot use Eiffel (well I am not that good with science)
    Science was a pain because I just could not find other science CS beyond the first. A replay would allow much better faster science with science CS beelining.
    The civs were also not well placed for seaside victory but I battled on and at the end was very suprised when I found my second highest tourism city was LA Venta, taken as my last city for resorts.
    In the course of only a few turns I went from about 50 tourism to 692 because resorts are fast to build and computers comes up fast after it... the effort is getting enough science fast enough which the lack of science CS hampered.
    I also could have got a religion a lot earlier which would have helped.
    EDIT: I captured about 16 and settled about 12

Thoughts and enjoyment

I really enjoyed the game as it was not what I expected and had to think a lot. Also its rare I get 2 horse starts so was fun.
    I'm still learning how to push science and papal primacy would have helped.
    I went to god of the forge but was not sure if it was better than god of the open sky, probably was but I did suffer some slow culture
    Pairidaeza's are great and really helped a lot, I relaxed a lot on gold in this game which was probably a mistake endgame buying seaside tiles... I wish there was a better than 20% off tile pruchase card
    Ruins are a pain and I never had time to clear them, maybe next time if I have more gold I will have an archaeologust ready
    Persia is awesome as the move speed during war helps all units, war was often done in 3-5 turns and it was annoying waiting 5 turns to make peace.

Favourite pic
    I like the way the cogs in the resorts look like rubber rings floating in the pools
    I also like the way gold yields show resort appeal. 22/44 tourism from the resorts is a lot less effort than building and filling the theatre, it's a science game rather than culture.
    upload_2017-9-7_11-20-10.png

Game Save

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Cultural Victory Turn 382, Score 1304
    Cities 35, built 9, captured 26

Did a long post, but somehow lost connection and about half an hour of typing. Next time it's all going to be typed in word then copied and pasted.

Really enjoyed the game

Attached Files:

4. antimony

antimony Chieftain

Cultural Victory T138

The game was fun, I still think cultural victories are the most interesting in GOTM, given that there are 2-3 very different and competitive paths to victory on each map. I was hesitating between a books or resorts strategy since Paridaeza somewhat synergizes with both. Seeing Sun Tzu as the first great general and assuming (wrongly) it was a Pangea map, I decided to go with standard theater.

Spoiler :

Build order in capital was scout, builder (horse-horse-cow), 5 slingers (Rome DOWed with 4 warriors as I was building 2 slinger), then settler and encampment. Found Yerevan early which allowed me to get God of the OP Sky.

I took Rome's two cities soon after Turn 40 (I kept all other AIs with at least one city, but the free monuments and the campus in Rome were too good not to take.) My first district in the capital was Encampment to secure Sun Tzu. I settled a city west between the capital and Toronto (which I conquered after Rome). I built a campus first in that city for the Recorded History eureka, then theaters first in subsequent cities. (Got Political Philosophy at turn 50, and then researched Drama and Poetry.)

After Rome I alternated between DOWs on Alexander and Qin to keep close to 100% uptime on Fall of Babylon. I didn't build any commercial hubs in this game, so had to rely on pillaging and peace deals to get enough money for five chariot upgrade to knights. Around Turn 80 I had mercenaries (Persia is so fast, I still can't figure how the best GOTM players get T80 mercenaries with an average Civ...). Around the same time I realized there were no more Civs on that continent, so I send my troops (mostly archers and horses) around costal waters to find a passage. I found the two Greeces just west of the Rome coast.

Gorgo and Pericles were building up culture quite fast (Pericles had 25 domestic tourists before Turn 100 even with 0 books), so I sent the knight army that way with a ram and GG, while sending archers and horses the other way towards Egypt which was considerably weaker. I met Gilgamesh last, past turn 100, and didn't need to start any war since he was behind in culture.

From around turn 90 onwards I didn't need new troops so all my cities were either building theater projects and amphitheaters, or builders (with card) to chop. After printing I beelined flight and built as many Paridaezas as possible. In retrospect I should have run a few more campus projects since when I got flight around Turn 130, my tourism per turn jumped from ~200 to ~300.

Attached Files:

5. Victoria

I also struggle with this @antimony ... looting is certainly something else they do but the Raid card comes quite late.

6. guslaet

guslaet Chieftain

Cultural Victory at T361.

I enjoyed the game. I'm always impressed about how people manage to win games so fast. I think my problem is some sort of role-playing vice. I keep trying to play coherently...

Attached Files:

7. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Chieftain

Cultural Victory @ Turn 298

I enjoyed it. I'm sure there was a lot more min/maxing and Critical Pathing I could have done, but I usually play my games to have fun and not strictly up the score. I conquered Rome as I saw him marching on my lands just as I was upgrading warriors into Immortals...poor guy had no chance. He had conquered Toronto which I was originally going to free upon grabbing it, but decided to keep it as he had placed a city directly north of it as well. Once he was wiped out I settled in peacefully until the very end. Alex of course decided to try and conquer one of my suzerained city-states (Geneva I believe) so I had to fight him off to keep it alive. Then about 15 turns before I won Alex and Gorgo teamed up to declare on me. They both had a city razed for their efforts. King is pretty easy, but I never get a very high score for some reason. Ehh still had fun.

I didn't go for resorts...gathered up all the great peeps and works I could. Then just built up my theater squares as much as possible to make sure I had room for whatever works I could grab. Never managed to theme a museum somehow. Even the artifacts I kept getting weren't of the same era. Despite that I was never really threatened and it was just a matter of hitting end turn (and holding off the Macedonian/Spartan coalition's pathetic war) towards the end.

Attached Files:

8. Emperor K

Emperor K Chieftain

Lost @ Turn 30ish

Well decided to attempt quick second city stonehedge star and well it did not go well. I went builder -> setler -> slinger -> stonehedge and missed it by 2 turns all the while Rome came in with 4 warriors and took my capital. My slinger was held up at city defending a against a barb warrior and quidrimere and i thought i had time to get a quick stonehege before Rome attacked.

The game was fun and I look foward to next months, first time i have tried one of these.

Victoria likes this.
  9. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

Culture Victory T251-252
    Started safely with 3 slingers to deal with barbs more than King AIs. Found Rome early while exploring with my warrior and decided to help myself to a Roman worker:viking:. First slinger poped a relic out of a Goody Hut so i decided to try a Reliquaries game. I managed to steal a Settler from Trajan before signing peace for some good old gold and settled to the SW of Toronto.
    Went for early religion the safe way (early Holy Site and 2 prayers) which proved a good idea as Stonehenge was built before i could have build it. I bought a scout to try and explore "Pangaea" and find everyone quickly. I was pleasantly surprised to see Yerevan nearby and have first contact despite not scouting in that direction first.
    I wanted to get 6 cities fast but managed to find a barbarian settler somewhere between Macedon and China so i got 7 cities around T75 which isn't bad for me. I built several Holy Sites to hold the Relics and quickly got multiple Apostles including 2 Debaters to defend my religion and several martyrs. Then i realized the Pangaea was a continent and i had the sole religion on that continent :wallbash:
    I built a Campus and researched naval techs until i could reach the other continent. I made contact with Pericles when my scout saw one of his galleys but there was a narrow band of ocean in the way so i couldn't send my Apostles his way (he had one of the 2 other religions).
    While doing this i built theater Square districts almost everywhere, bought more apostles and started saving for Naturalists. I had a lot of gold and culture thanks to Persia specials so i progressed fast in the culture tree but not in science. Poor production didn't help build for building more campuses but at least i could buy sci buildings.
    After i finally managed to cross the ocean i could at last suicide my Apostles, except it took some time to actually find apostles of other religions so my relics came pretty late.

Started spamming Archeologists after i got my Museums and then National Parks but even my tourism was rising somewhat slowly until i got computers which came quite late due to low science. I was a little distracted when Alex decided to attack Mohenjo Daro which had been essential to my growth and i decided to go on a Protectorate war, following by reviving Quin Shi who he had eradicated earlier. I wasn't particularly friend with him as i had built quite a few wonders but he never annoyed me unlike Alex who kept denouncing me for no reason. That's also when Pericles finally started to be serious about religion and sent several waves of apostles and missionaries my way but my 2 debaters killed enough of them to undo the work of those that escaped them.

Further exploration revealed a number of barbarian settlers and i captured several, planing cities on islands and peninsula to get more room for National parks and Seaside resorts (i had only 4 of those in my main land)

Finally, after i got Computers my TpT rose to 4 digits and victory soon followed.

It was a fun game, not really a competitive one as i built several unnecessary wonders and forgot my strategy at several moments (such as when i went to war with Alex). I also only settled 7 cities (3 were added much later) which is really not much for Civ6 and didn't wage any real conquest war. In the end i have much more fun since i decided i wouldn't care about ranking and just play for fun rather than try to "play math" for fast finishes but i still like GotM because it removes the temptation to just re-roll maps until you have the perfect start.

No save, i don't care about the rank and i used CQUI mod. Still posting results as it's the spirit of GotM :)

Victoria likes this.
  10. arthur486

arthur486 Chieftain

T209 Culture Victory

This is the first 6OTM I'm reporting for; first of all, big thanks to the organizers for their effort in creating an interesting game!

"Strategy"
    I went for a strategy of expansion, prioritized theatre squares and science for computers. I attacked and disabled Pericles as he was the main contender for a culture win. It was his number of domestic tourists that held me back, he had as many tourists as all the other AI's put together...

Turn by turn
    T001 - Started with slinger/builder/slinger/settler; poped the barb hut near the capital for bonuses. Went with the God of the Open Sky for the 3 pastures which doubled my early culture.
    T036 - War on Rome; conquered their 2nd city and captured a settler which settled on the coast near Toronto (coast city bonus);
    T54 - Classical Republic
    T77 - War on Rome again, took Rome and left them with a newly settled city (did not want to kill them off for tourism)
    T82 - Found Pericles having 5 cities and more culture than me!
    T93 - I had 18 domestic tourists, compared to 25 for Pericles; he definitely looked in need of some democracy!
    T117 - Pericles declares on Gorgo and captures her second city. Gorgo only had 2 cities, having lost at least 2 settlers to barbs.
    T142 - After a (much too long) preparation I joint war with Cleopatra on Pericles. At this point he's the main contender for a culture win, with 8 cities and more tourism than myself. The war carries on for a few dozen turns, I chip away at them and finally make peace, once their culture is down.
    T208 - Culture Victory with 954 tourism.

Surprises/Observations
    • The map was a surprise, as I expected a single land mass. The two Greek empires in a culture game was a very nice move from the game creator
    • The Romans managed to beat me to the second city by a few turns, probably due to the production bonus on King.
    • After I pillaged Roman lands they were very quick to repair them; In a way I felt bad for Trajan as he and Pericles played best; the other were just standing around waiting to see who would win.
    • The King AI can't handle barbarians; I'm used to them early on from higher levels, but did not expect them to have so many settlers captured. They really dented Gorgo's expansion and made crossing the channel unexpectedly difficult.
    • It was fun being denounced by everyone except Gorgo who was all "go get 'em!"
    • Persia is seriously powerful on the early offensive; the movement bonus is worth it on its own...

Attached Files:

11. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Culture Victory T119.

I realized that printing is not needed for CV games, since with printing you can't win before some more powerful items come out. So I just rushed science to flight and use UI to make ~300 tourism.

In fact theater is not needed for Culture VCs such as Persia or Sumeria or China. Just rush flight is the best way. The earlier you get flight, the earlier you'll win.
    (But I missed this point and built a lot of useless theatres and only got filght at T112... I wonder if I could get flight at around T90~95, I'll probably win before T100.)

Attached Files:

12. Victoria

Yes, seaside resorts if you can rush science as fast as you can are definately the answer.

13. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

You don't need resort at all. In fact you can win before you researched that resort, since you're sure to win in <10t after flight, and there're 2 techs between flight and radio.

14. EpicWestern

EpicWestern Chieftain

Turn 213/214 Culture victory

Turns up to 100 are in the opening actions thread.

It was my first game on King since the game came out, obviously great people points are much easier to acquire than I'm used to, I had sitting artists for most of the game since I mistaken prioritized archaeological museums. Also regretted going peaceful after I took over my continent. Culture victory is basically broken when domination to prevent domestic tourists is just so far superior to going theater districts yourself. Also should have went science much faster especially with two city states and good adjacency bonuses.

Attached Files:

15. antimony

antimony Chieftain

Theater squares double the culture or tourism from adjacent Paridaeza from +1 to +2, might be worth it... of course in this particular game Greece builds them for you :)

16. LFRANK

LFRANK Chieftain

First GoTM scenario I've completed for Civ VI. It wasn't pretty but I was happy to finish it around turn 353 (saved game below is turn 349 before win). As I normally go domination and only switch to cultural when it looks like another civ might win, starting out going cultural was definitely a different experience.

Did the best I could with what I thought I knew. Built theatre districts, went for as many writers and artists as I could. Abused the civics paths to grab as many cultural civics as I could.

Defeated Rome early on and took his 3 cities. Rome itself turned into a powerhouse city for production and I used it to build several cultural builds (Oxford) as I could. For once I was friendly with most of the other civs for most of the game until I started dominating in science (a surprise), culture (as planned), and domination (didn't really do more than keep some units current for protection). It was only when Eqypt, Alexander, and China started denouncing me that I built up a decent defense.

Meanwhile, the constant cultural buildings, artifacts, and infusion of writers, artists, and musicians was sufficient to win the game eventually. Only used a few Paridaeza's preferring to favor production over gold (it was flowing in fine).

UI ISSUES - For the first time in my experience other civs wanted to swap artifacts, paintings, and other cultural items. I refused almost all of them as there wasn't enough information in the trade screen to determine if the offered item was beneficial or not. The item's tooltip was useless in giving enough details. Made me long for CQUI's helpful mod collection.

Other than that, found the game fairly easy once I survived the initial scrum. Most of the civs left me alone to build culture and that worked out in the end. I'll have to look at some of the others now.

Attached Files:

17. Victoria

Start out dom then go cultural or as lily lancer said, with Pairidaeza you do not really have to go cultural at all, just stomp on the opposition as fast as possible.

18. Greenlami

Greenlami Chieftain

Won on turn 347
    DISCLAIMER: I gained one book as a peace gift but didn't realize... gave it up right afterwards, it didn't do any difference but stilll.. my bad

Lost some 50/60 turns to war efforts against Pericles, who declared war on me as I was catching up with his culture. I actually have to thank him, all those walls ended up in tourism after a few turns XD
    I could have ended the war earlier, but at that point I decided the little town south of Rome Pericles had built had to suffer Carthage's fate and got myself a little distracted.
    Anyway, great map, pairidaezas are a powerhouse and combined with my seaside resorts and national parks they shined. I also prioritized archaeology and made a ton of tourism with it.

I'm very proud of my 3 NATIONAL PARKS COMBO! I was planning to build another one right next to them but won earlier than expected.

Attached Files:

19. Radama

Radama Chieftain

CV On Turn 271 Score 716

I lost my Warrior to the barb camp to the West and Trajan declared on me.
    Wiped him out with Horsemen. He was begging to be killed. Alexandre conquered all City State on continent. So surprise war on him and I liberated all of them then peace for 10t and then finished off Alexandre with the same horses. With all the Horses promotions, surprise war on Qin and I pillaged every single districts and improvement to keep the horses working.

By this stage, the game was un-loosable. Spammed cities on continent with Museums.
    What slowed me down was the fact that did not wage war on the opposite continent, especially PĂ©ricles. Was too late to established costal cities so little trade routes to foreign civs. Yeah and I should'nt have founded a religion, I somehow feel that the opportunity cost of late culture district is greater than the tourism outputs of Relics and
    The map is great, rich, I love the fact that two greeks civ are waiting for you on the other side which is spicing up a CV.

Attached Files:

20. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

For any Civ with a cultural UI it's best to start out going science and ignore theatres at all.