1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM25 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Oct 14, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM25 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

Settled where the settler was. Built my first, second, and third settler kinda late but all in a row, went NE, but still south of the jungle-belt, at the coast with the pearls and then westwards from there on both sides of the yosemite more or less.
    I chose techs and civics all over the place, looked into writing pretty early. And also bronze working for the hoplite. I tried to get as many eurekas as possible.
    Scout, Builder, Scout, Slinger, Monument, Settler 3x, Campus, Walls, Archer, Hoplite, Encampment, Granary
    Not that long, found both France and Arabia in turn 21. No other Civs found, except for a border on a different continent, cant figure out who it is though. France and Arabia first friendly, then declared joint war against me in turn 91. (same turn as last GotM, strangely)
    See above. 2 campuses and 1 encampent. Want to build IZ and harbors next.
    Nope.
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    5 cities built, none taken.
    50% for settlers when it was needed...
    Lissabon, Stockholm, Kabul, Carthage, Mohenjo-Daro. Most went into Stockholm.
    Kinda hard in the first few turns, but not a veeeery serious problem. Nice culture boost tho!
    - Any surprises?
    I chose the 50% faith after killing a unit pantheon, never took that one before and found it interesting in combination with Gorgo's LUA. Wasn't going to play a religius game, so not very important. Found out that Hoplite is very underpowered compared to other UU, and Acropolis is also kinda quirky because you can only place it on hills...

let's see where the rest of the game leads, I'm no where near winning though :crazyeye:

3. Eyswein

Eyswein Chieftain

Fully played pre-patch. The limits I used are no joint wars, no trading works/relics, no trading cities. Hopefully will have time to do Replay with a fully after patch game to see if broken items were fixed and if I can play smarter. Took this out to about T104 as that is a good breakpoint for events.

Settled 1 SW on Plains Hill on T2; Second city on T26 NE side of Yosemite
    Science
    : Mining, AH, Pottery, Writing-28, BW, Wheel, Irrigation, Archery-39,...,Currency-62,Sailing, Shipbuilding,...,Cartography-97, Education-98
    Culture: PolPhil-52,…,Feud-77, Merc-82, Exploration-104
    Note: Goal for science was military (archers/HChar to eventually upgrade), district building (campus/commhub), see world (shipbuilding/cartography)
    16-Survey/Urban/God King, 28-Agoge/Ur/Dis,41-Strategos, 46-Maneuver, 52-OLIGARCHY, 104-MERCHANT REPUBLIC Cons/NatPHil/Serf/ChLead/Mercan/Cara/MerConf
    Note: goal was exploration/production to start, then GGs; later moved to science/gold/culture
    2-SPARTA: Scout, Builder, Settler, Builder (bad idea), Slinger x6, Warrior x2, Encampment-46, HChar x6, Settler x3, Builder x2, Campus-91, Library
    Note: After completing the settler on T21, decided it would be nice to make a builder for the spices/horse to trade – dumb idea; first, barbs started coming that I hadn’t seen yet so builder sat in city for a very long time and the barbs started attacking my capital, lowering my health to 130 at one point; then both France and Arabia denounced me making trades worthless
    26-EPHESUS: Monument, Granary (since on no water tile), Trader, Campus-91, Library
    48-MYCENAE: Monument, Galley, Campus-93
    18 Total by just after T100; Built 9 -1 capital, 4 created settlers, 4 captured settlers; Captured – 9 cities (note: of these 1 settled and 2 captured cities occurred just after T100)
    Earliest was Encampment at T46; By about T105 had 16 total districts, listing as Built + Captured: Encampment 1+1; Campus 3+3; CommHub 2+2; Acropolis 0+2; Holy 0+2
    11-France, 17-Arabia (no others in first 100 turns); denounced me early, but I started all the wars
    - Wars:
    France 48-62, lost 2 archers; 90-95, fully captured
    Arabia 39-49, for settler; 59-80, for settler, but instead of making peace at 69 decided to move in and lost 5 units; 101-104, fully defeated
    Note: Both the wars I lost units since I attacked out of position - France I just needed about 4 more turns to have the military properly in place; for Arabia I went to capture a settler and then decided to attack instead of taking peace to get into a better tactical position.
    - Trading? Nothing until T54, then finally spices/iron for g/gpt; good peace deals on T62/80 for g/gpt before they were eliminated
    - Did you try to build any Wonders? Not yet, but captured Oracle and Hanging Gardens (had no plan to build them)
    3-Stockholm T49-3e, T80-6e; 5-Lisbon T82-3e, T104-6e; 13-Kabul T96-3e; 23-Vilnius; 34-Mohenjo T82-3e; 60-Carthage; 3 unmet defeated announcements
    By T100 I was Suzerain of 4 CSs – real goal was all science and gold ones, but only met 1 of each so decided freshwater would be nice
    - How were the Barbarians? Generally nice for culture, distracting a bit as I didn’t build enough military to start which caused some problems by not having all my troops in position for wars
    - Any surprises? Nothing major.
    Initial plan: Explore, capture all on continent, get campus and other required districts up. Decide what to do about other continent (war/peace).
    Initial actions: Generally stuck to plan, but messed up trying to do a 2nd builder before slinger spam. I didn’t get galleys out fast enough – I was focused on science stuff. While wars were successful, they weren’t clean.

4. civtrader6

civtrader6 Chieftain

Having horses close by on immortal is quite spooky. Decided to move east and settle next to horses. Second city North, next to the other horses.

Start with a Builder/Settler. Got a scout from goody hut. Boost Craftmaship. Build 3 slingers.
    Got boosts for all early civics. Focus on horseman rush. This proved to be a great decision due to all the jungle terrain.

Found France before they had borders up. Their capital was at 4 pop and scout went through their territory. While France was busy warring with a city-state, I made use of the settler lens to anticipate where they may send their next settler. At around T30ish war declared and settler captured. Met Arabia at around T50 or so. No other civs met yet.

For a change, very soon (campus in capital) to boost State Workforce, as France did not build any for me to conquer timely and no city-states worth conquering nearby.
    Now slowly setting things up (Monuments, CD, mix of cheap theatre squares and campuses), almost none built yet (timing the builder push) with feudalism.

Pyramids in the works in a distant and otherwise worthless city captured from Arabia. Got Hanging Gardens from France which is a great Drama and Poetry boost.

Very much so. At T70 I've got 19 cities (well, 17 cities and two more about to be settled). Out of which 3 cities (1CS) captured from France. 3 from Arabia. One (or two?) settlers from France, One (or two?) from Arabia, One from Barbs (France?). Rest self built. Used captured/purchased builders exclusively to speed up settlers.

Early game +5 against barbs and 50% production for military. Then 50% production for cavalry and +2 Great General Points. Later on, 30% builders / 50% settlers, +1 production, -1 unit maintenance.
    Builder rush currently in the works. Planning to go for monarchy/walls next.

Captured (and kept) Kabul from France. At T70, I've got 3-4 envoys in all CS except Carthage.

Survived a crazy barb rush - with just a warrior while a settler was being built.
    But it also provided a great culture push to hit quick Political Philosophy (T41 or so).
    Then a few more horse barbs (welcome culture) and after that nothing. At T70 the continent is pretty lit.

- Any surprises?
    Its a large continent for only 2 civs. Also expected more scientific/gold city states. Also expected France to build a few districts for me. They didn't :(

Attached Files:

5. mortyr

mortyr Chieftain

Settled 1 tile SW. Second city found 4 tiles N from starting location to get science from Yosemite.
    Research Pottery, Animal husbandry, Mining and Writting, then Bronze working to get Hoplite and Archery to upgrade Slingers.
    After Foreign trade and Craftsmanship got Military tradition for flanking bonus, then just went for Political Philosophy
    Scout, Slinger, Slinger, Settler, (+50% toward untis) Slinger, Slinger, Slinger, Hoplite, Hoplite (meanwhile in 2nd city Slinger & Hoplite)
    Found Stockhold and Lisbon very quick (Lisbon helped me a lot with barbs), some turn later met France. Found Arabia around 30. turn.
    Built one campus in capital (chomp forest) to get eureka.Around 50. turn vuilt commercial in both my original cities.
    Colosseum in Stockholm (4 cities in range) even with 4 trade routes it took around 20 turns, but I was able to finish it. Also captured Hanging Gardens from France.
    Found 4 tribal villages. One gave me 40 gold, one Relic and 2 gave me builders (!) whith helped me a lot with early settler and units spam. Built one city, at turn 40 I had 3 Hoplites, 6 archers and warrior. Conquer Lisbon at 40. turn, Stckholm at 50. Then at 60 went into France, took Kabul and Lyon at 70. 3 out of 4 their cities had walls. Iwated peace and then declare war again when I would have catapults but she didn't want give me Lyon. Built 3 catapults in 10 turns, move them to france, upgrade 3 archers to Crossbowmans (not enought gold for all) then took 3 cities. Unfortunately My ally - Mohenjo-Daro started to siege and then capture and raze that city before I moved then my units.
    Then settled one more city (captured settler from France) so I built 3 cities and captured 7.
    Core cards: +50% toward untis, reduced maintenance units, then adjacency bonuses for Campus and Commercial hub, +2 gold from trade routes, +1 amenity for cities with a unit.
    Lisbon and Stockholm captured, Carthage (1 envoy), Mohenjo-Daro (6 envoys)
    Not too hard. Lisbon helped me with 1st outpost, then clear one more with 2xslingers & warrior while I was making more units.
    - Any surprises?
    Best tribal villages ever. Relic gave me free pantheon, 2 buiders help me A LOT with snowball. I also got great prophet cuz France had 2 holy sites.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  6. Bachelor Panda

Bachelor Panda Chieftain

Just started this game yesterday, so fully post-patch. Thus I wasn't able to get any settlers from France or Arabia :(

But I did have an awesome scout lol. I started with double scout promotion...and with one attack on a barb scout and a village, he got the promotion to travel through forests/jungle. When I met France they were attacking Kabul...and I put him on the jungle to the east of Kabul to make it harder for France. That turn France took Kabul down to 3 HP and I was able to declare war (scout put back a hex...but since he could move through jungle :) and my scout took Kabul lol.

I moved one SW to the plains/hill square to start.

2nd city was a settler I built and settled him 5 squares north on the river next to Yosemite. 3rd city was Kabul at almost the same time (Go scout GO!!! :).

animal husbandry, mining, archers, bronze working. When I got 1st civic, I chose scout experience and +1 faith +1 gold to get a pantheon. I only built one scout because it was obvious, with my warrior's moves that I was on a smaller land mass. That one scout was amazing though ;) I got the bump for archers early (slinger killed a barb) but I had to hard-research bronze working. Oh yeah...with the extra wild-card slot I left +5 against barbs up.

The builder improved the wheat, the sheep and I bought the horse tile to get a pasture there and the bonus to Craftsmanship. (One of my huts was the bonus to masonry so I didn't improve the stone yet)

Scout-slinger-builder-settler-slinger-slinger-slinger. By the last slinger Rhodes and Kabul were both building warriors.

Met France while he was attacking Kabul...scout took advantage :) (did I tell you I had an awesome scout! lol) Saw Arabia's borders but didn't meet him for a while. When I took Kabul, France backed off and we didn't go to war until I declared.
    The war with France went well. I had 3 warriors and 4 archers and took Lyon quickly. Horses were added and I took Paris. I let France sue for peace and they have one city and are paying tribute.

The war against Arabia...I guess it went ok. I started attacking them...and out popped a Mamluke! I was able to take out their first Mam and the city of Baghdad....but then 3 more (Mamlukes) show up (I had 2 chariots at the time about to upgrade....but it wasn't soon enough to continue the war). So I accept the city and some cash tribute to end the war.

I layed the foundations for 2 campus and then concentrated on commercial hubs.

Yes. I changed governments to Autocracy and placed the 15% towards wonders card...chopped 2 woods and one stone and built the Colosseum in 8 turns (2 trade routes from there also).

I built one settler early then counted on conquest for a while. I am currently spitting out 9 settlers to fill in my land. I had some barb trouble while I was fighting Arabia and lost 3 of my 4 trade routes :/ That slowed me down a bit. The hard part about it was I had a archer being built in Sparta that would have saved all my traders (army was north against Arabia at the time)...but I researched Crossbows 1 turn before he finished and it took 5 more turns to get the crossbow (and I sent a knight for support lol) and take out the barbs. Had to rebuild my trade before I went massive settlers.

turn 100....11 cities, 2 settlers out, 6 settlers building (with the settler +50% card) (5 captured cities...no captured settlers. other 5 settled as seemed suitable).

Started with scout double experience and +1 faith +1 gold for the pantheon. (and +5 against barbs with the extra slot). followed up with 50% towards units and +1 production. once I had an army the -1 towards maintenance stays put. Currently have the 50% towards settlers up. 6 more settlers and I'll change that out.

With the help of France I was able to take the city of Kabul (have I told you what a great scout I have! lol) I have been able to meet a number of quests and am currently the suzerain of Stockholm, Carthage and Lisbon.

Met a camp early, was able to get the archer bonus...but then didn't see any (had to hard research bronze working) until I was at war with Arabia. They took out 3 of 4 trade routes and pillaged Sparta pretty bad till I could send some troops down. Now I'm letting the camp live till I can get a hoplite down there to fulfill a quest for an envoy.

- Any surprises?

The new patch. I love it!!!. Hope it still gets better!

An addendum on districts....I built an encampment !st and got the first general.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017