1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM27 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Nov 14, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM27 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Forster

Forster Chieftain

I gave this a shot. I settled in place, just founded the second city next to the iron on coast to the nw.
    I initially went for mining, sailing, animal husbandry and archery, For civics I went faster production of ranged and melee units, then foreign trade.
    My build order was builder, slinger, slinger, warrior then settler. I had to push the settler back and concentrate on slingers and warriors.
    I haven't found any neighbors, built any districts or wonders.
    The only thing I have done is try to survive. There was a barb camp to the north and south and I was swamped. i hard warriors and archers coming at me from both directions, killing my units faster than I could kill them.
    At this point, I have finally destroyed both camps and have one additional city and several archers and warriors as of turn 98. I personally don't enjoy that much of a struggle to start a game and I feel I am so far behind now that I will never be able to catch up, so I will not continue this game.

3. Photi

Photi Governor

Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?

I settled my first city 1SE on the stone. I gave up the fresh water, but reasoned that by moving 1SE instead of to the stone to the north, i would save the stone even further up north for maybe my second city, which is where i did settle my second city. The housing in the cap was a bit of an issue at first, but with a fairly early granary it has equalized.

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

Since it was an islands plates map, i decided to stick mainly to the top of the tech tree. It has worked out ok so far, i am almost to square rigging and mercs so there is a good chance i will soon be going on a frigate rampage. I don't recall ever doing so before, so it will be a learning experience.

I chose the Goddess of the Sea pantheon as the most useful looking, though the religious pressure one and cheaper district pantheon were tempting.

What was your build order?

Builder>Settler>Galley>Settler

How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?

It took awhile. I met Kumasi (first meet) @T31, Mohenjo-Daro @T54, and then Kongo soon after that. Once i met Mvemba, i began quickly meeting the others. No wars yet, i am declared friends with Mvemba, Gandhi, Peter and Philip. Neutral with Hojo and Cleo.

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

My first 2 districts were campuses, then a Holy Site and a couple of Harbors. I am only soon to build my second Holy Site, and a few turns away before i can even lay down my third. I hope i haven't underestimated the early need for Holy Sites bc as of right now my faith production is crap.

Did you try to build any Wonders?

No

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Wasn't much place to expand to, so no. I have a settler on their way to settle fifth city. Been meaning to get over to the west to settle the furs, probably once i hit pop 7 in the cap and lay down a Holy Site, i will build a settler to get over there.

How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

Cheaper unit maintenence and more production, tactically switching in and out for more envoys. I'm hoping to get to mercs about the same time as square rigging so i can upgrade to a Frigate navy on the cheap.

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

I am suzerain of Kumasi and Buenos Aires, so that has helped my culture and freed up my luxes to trade to the AI. My people are ecstatic despite exporting all my luxuries.

How were the Barbarians?

Two camps so far, they were nothing.

Any surprises?

I figured with Island Plates, isolation was going to be a factor, but the somewhat extreme isolation has been a surprise. I am now wondering if it will be worth it to try to win through naval domination. It's not even my forte anyway, and seeing all those angry faces as the end means a sloppy game in my book.

I didn't see any tribal villages, so that was a bit of a surprise. This might be my third RV playthrough and feel like i am not well focused on that victory. At T100 i only have 1 city following my religion, but i do feel with the possible coming of the frigate war and holy sites, i may keep the turns to victory below 200.

Spoiler As-Sharq Al-Awset :
    20171116150019_1.jpg 20171116150213_1.jpg 20171116150100_1.jpg 20171116150043_1.jpg

4. Photi

Photi Governor

it says my mosque costs 35 faith to purchase, which seems about right with Saladins's unique ability, i have 106 faith accumulated, but the tool tip says i do not have enough faith accumulated to purchase the 35 faith mosque. is this a known bug, or am i doing something wrong?

Edit: it's working now, not sure what was going on

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  5. leif erikson

From the Announcement:

6. casualplayer

casualplayer Chieftain

Argh! I was going to start a war with Kongo so I could catch&release Jerusalem and start getting the dual Holy City pressure going. I declare on Kongo and what do you mean I'm not at war with Jerusalem too? My error because I didn't check the City-State screen at the start of that turn, India had taken over as suzerain and I'm Friends with India.

Sigh. I've got the City Starts with my Religion feature so I could just camp 30-40 Settlers all over the world, plant roots all the same turn and win. But it won't be fast.

7. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

Turn 106

Capital: NE of start location to give second city space on marsh land next to truffles
    Archery to defend against barbarian, then focus on upper tech tree
    Slinger, Slinger, Builder, Settler, Builder, Builder, Galley, Galley, Settler, ...
    Found three city states (Kumasi, Toronto, Seoul) arount T30, soon afterwards Mvemba a Nzinga; met all leaders, settled on Pedros continent with 2 cities, he declared surprise war, after 10 turns offered peace for luxury and gold
    After the second settler, focused on holy sites and harbous with a campus and a commercial hub in between
    No
    Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    As soon as I found Pedros continent I started to build settlers; built 6 cities so far, will buy some settlers and expand further
    Focus on production and tech / civic boosts. Diplomatic League at the moment which already gave me 4 bonus envoys with no. 5 about to come.
    Kumasi, Toronto, Seoul, Genua, Kandy, Buenos Aires, La Venta, Amsterdam, Mohendjo Daro, Jerusalem
    How were the Barbarians?
    Focused on clearing the two camps on my island right at the beginning, afterwards no problems
    Any surprises?
    Surprise war of Pedro against me, since he was friendly towards me until then.

I have no clue where to go from here, will make up my mind overnight. Maybe focus on expansion, afterwards on religious wars.

8. Fivethumbs

Fivethumbs Chieftain

Hello, first post :) and second 6otM (did 6otM #25 )

Previously, I've won on Deity only once (Nubia archers Domination, sort of cheating), so I'm not entirely sure what buttons to click yet.

During the first try of this map got my butt kicked by barbarians by ~t40, so this is a second try (adjusted build order / research accordingly).

Situation at turn 85

One tile NE, to get eureka for Sailing. Second city - west, next to fox and sheep.
    Research: Archers -> Mining -> Writing -> Sailing (mixing up if Eureka looks doable) -> Harbors -> Caravels (in progress by t85)
    Policies: 1 faith until got pantheon (stone circles for early +6 faith), otherwise nothing consistent, switching around. Went for Republic as first government.
    Slinger->Slinger->Builder->Settler (then Galley / Builder / Campus / Monument in an order which I don't remember)
    Found 3 city states (one east, two on the west) just in time for Inspiration, and later Egypt at around t50. By turn t85 haven't met anyone else. Don't know Egypt's location either.
    Campus in capital and 2nd city (no adjacency bonus in capital, +3 in 2nd city). Then Holy site in capital (around the time for a free prophet), and another holy site in 2nd city. Then harbor in 3rd city and plan to do second harbor for Caravels eureka when capital gets to 7pop (currently sitting at 6 population).
    No
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Wanted to emphasize, but didn't find where to settle. 3rd city founded in that 1-tile island below galapagos (for 4-science tile, building harbour there). 4th settler is floating around for 15 turns randomly. Expected there would be shallow waters north of galapagos, but found deadend there. Will probably have to wait until Ocean embarking gets researched.
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Screwed up diplomacy slots (no bonus envoy), otherwise random builder/settler discounts. Currently using policies to get gold (won't be able to upgrade anything even I research better ships).
    Two culture CSs and one production. Then one religious CS. Its going bad, no quests done, 1 envoy in each of the CS.
    With two slingers+warrior and quick upgrade to archers there were no problems (north and south camps done quickly). Now keeping whole island free of fog of war (I believe its in fog of war where the new barb camps do spawn?)
    - Any surprises?
    Surprised by a small starting island with no "good" settling locations. Initial plan to "go horses and conquer fast" proved not to be viable. Now will try to squeeze in temples, worship buildings, Maddrassas and then spam frigates to do some conquering, but have no idea how far behind I'm at the moment. If my frigates will be met by bomber fire, well, then that is it.

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

T100
    Spoiler :

1 tile south east and second a few tiles southy west near some sheep as a barb scout stopped my settler going north. 3rd went north and 4th near Brazil next to a wonder.
    Mining, sailing, pottery, ship building, animal husbandy (I still do not have archery or swordsman)
    Builder (2 builds then sailed off to get celestial navigation, I delayed craftsmenship a while)... then settler
    Quite a while, I found CS before civs and finally got Kongo first, all seems friendly until just lately, they seem upset at me taking city states for some odd reason.
    Harbours, then holy sites now campi ... (I still have not founded my religion)
    I do have 6 harbour's though, desperately pushing a GA.
    Why?... that would be silly. I was tempted by the Mausoleum TBH... AI builds wonders fast at deity.
    Including the capital I have built 4 and have a 5th settler on the seas. I have taken Toronto, Mohenjo Daro, Seol and about to take Buenos ... 7 , nearly 9
    I currently have Navigation, Naval Inrastructure, Maritime Industries and consctription. Maritime has pretty much always been there but can be dropped soon. Urban planning was there for a long time alos but swapped out as cities grew.
    Kumasi has been a godsend due to its remote position and its scouting helped a bit but not much.
    How were the Barbarians?
    My warrior found the 1 to the north at the right time to destroy the camp fast, then went south and found another one that had not built anything and killed that... it was all a bit dull
    Any surprises?
    My sailing builder for the first time got struck by deep water.... the map has less shallow water than usual which is nice. Not sure everyone will like the map but I'm just having a naval bash to see how it goes with religion tagged on at the end if I do well.
    Also, a weird one... I am used to playing bad starts but this is not that bad because of the production. I was surprised how well I have done.
    Just got Mercs and Frigates 10 turns away, hopefullly not too late. Plenty of gold for the upgrades and 8 quads and 2 caravels... my land army is 1 warrior currently trying to keep up with my navy... I am just going to try taking coastal cities with a late religious burst and hope my frigates are not too late.

Having read @Photi s post I just worked out I am copying him... I only have 3 envoys at Kumasi though... 3 have yet to be deployed. Probably saving them for the religious rush.

upload_2017-11-20_23-42-27.png

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  10. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

Settled in Place. Considered moving to coastline, but figured other cities would hit sailing boost

Followed a combination of growth techs, with as many boosts possible, and seafaring needs:
    Animal Husbandry->Mining->Archery(boosted)->Sailing(boosted)->Pottery->Astrology->Shipbuilding(boosted)
    ->Bronze Working(boosted)->Celestial Navigation(boosted)->writing(boosted)->wheel->Masonry(boosted)->Cartography(boosted)
    ->Square Rigging {in progress - with no musketmen to trigger boost}
    I am going to try to play as peaceful as possible. But I want to get Frigates online ASAP just in case.

Civics were fairly standard, but with a slight focus on religious needs as compared to other games.
    CoL->Craftsmanship(boosted)->Foreign Trade->Early Empire(boosted)->Military Tradition (boosted)->Mysticism(boosted)
    ->State Workforce(boosted)->Political Philosophy(boosted)->Drama and Poetry->Theology(boosted)

City 1:
    slinger->slinger->settler->builder->Monument->Granary->archer->settler->trader->builder->builder->holy site
    ->shrine->harbor->Water Mill->quadrireme->Settler->Settler->ancient walls
    City 2:
    builder->galley->galley->holy site->shrine->harbor->quadrireme->Temple
    City 3:
    granary->harbor->traderx3

I didn't get off my island until turn 50, but soon met a ton of city states, and eventually Gandhi, Qin, Pedro and Mvemba.

Holy Site #1 came up on turn 67. Currently all 3 cities have a harbor, and 2 have holy sites. I feel I need a campus, but don't really know where to put it.

No. Feels like a trap on deity.

No real focus. Only 3 cities on my home island. 2 Settlers on the way to locations on Pedro's island. I know he's not going to like it.

Started with +5 vs. Barbs and +1 Faith - switched those out for various production cards once barbarian camps were cleared, and pantheon was established.

Toronto, Kumasi, Geneva, Mohenho Darro, Seoul, Kandy, Amsterdam, Buenos Ares.
    I have envoys with Toronto, Seoul, Kandy and Geneva - but I am not suzerain of any of them.

How were the Barbarians?
    Manageable. Cleared the southern camp with just my primary warrior (i let them attack me across the river) and cleared the northern camp with my 2 slingers turned archers.
    I have troops Fog Busting on my home island, and I have done a little barbarian hunting on other islands near by for fun. Fortunately no swarms of horses or any over-teched naval units have shown up.

Any surprises?

1. surprised about how crappy Arabian Island is.
    2. surprised how big, and somewhat unsettled, the island of Brazil is
    3. surprised you didn't ask about religion - so i'm going to tell you:
    Turn 40 Selected Stone Circles pantheon (Considered 25% off district, and god of sea - but Stone circles seemed better given the resources at hand - and helps towards victory condition)
    -this might have been a short sighted decision but I'm sitting at +10 faith per turn from this move)
    Turn 63 got my Prophet from the Arabian Last Prophet Trait
    Turn 67 Islam was founded when our first holy site was built in City #2 (nestled in the mountains to the south of the island with +3 adjacency)
    Chose Shrines/Temples give +1 housing (due to our crappy island) and Mosques (to boost religious units)
    Turn 90 Missionary converts my northern city #3 to Islam (Cairo is only partially Islam still)
    Turn 99 converted Sao Paulo (4 of 7) to Islam and brought Rio up to 4 Islamic worshipers out of 9 civilians.
    As of turn 100 all religions are founded, but 3 are by civs i haven't met yet. I am hoping to convert Pedro and maybe Qin before having to actually engage in religious combat. I also plan to get the religious colonies ability to plop down some cities i can build up as healing centers on various parts of the map.

Victoria likes this.
  11. leif erikson

:lol: Thanks for telling us!

That's what I get for posting right before I go to bed. :sleep:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  12. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Lol, say it how it is.
    I'm on T167 but have not found mine yet, aiming to do it tonight in one big rush to try to finish before T200. Never done a late religion like this before so it's going to be interesting. Probably the most enjoyable GOTM I have played.
    On +450 faith with over 10k faith in the bank. I think I warred to long, that's the problem with me and frigates.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  13. Eyswein

Eyswein Chieftain

T100
    Spoiler :

Settled capital 1 NE for coastal access; 2nd city to SW, 1W of truffles, so have 2 pastures and camp in range 2
    Science: 11-Mining, 18-AH, 31-BW, 33-Archery, 38-Sailing, 54-Shipbuilding, 57-Astrology, 63-Wheel, 71-Masonry, 73-HBRiding, 74-Pottery, 78-CelNav, 79-Writing, 82-Currency, 99-Cartography (Stirrups, Square Rigging next 2 in plan)
    Culture: 16- CoL, 27-Craftsmanship, 41-FT, 48-EE, 53-SW, 59-PolPhil, 64-MilTrad, 72-G&R, 82-DefTac, 94-D&P, 95-MilTrng, 97-Mys, 98-Feud
    Gov Cards: 16-Dis/Urban, 27-Agoge, 41-Maritime, 48-Colon, 59-Autocracy for +1 in capital bonus (Con, Dis, Urb, Col), 64-Man, ChLd, 68-DipLea (cost 150g due to forgetting to put this in at T64), 72-ChLd, 82-Maritime, 95-Raid

The Why? I try to answer this below in strategy. I try to time bonuses and set gov cards for synergy with what I need to build or do.

2-CAIRO (1NE): 11-Builder (Q,Q,Pa); 21-Settler; 24,27,30,32-Slinger; 31-buy tile for Encamp and place it; 34,36-Warrior; 41-Builder (repair, Chop, Chop, M Iron); 43,46,49-Galley; 51,59-Settler; 52-Encamp; 62-Mon; 62-buy tile for HS and place it; 66-Trader (to Kumasi); 69,72,74,77,79,82-HeaChar; 88-Holy Site; 92,95,99-Quad
    25-SANA’A (SW of capital): 39-Mon; 48-Builder (Ch, Ca, Pa); 58-Builder[gold] (Ca, Pa, Fa); 64-Settler; 70,76-HeaChar; 89-Holy Site; ??-Quad
    55-DAMASCUS (NE of capital near Iron): 68-Mon; 75-HeaChar; 90-Holy Site; 96-Quad; 100-Shrine
    69-MECCA (near Galápagos Islands): 71-buy 4 science tile; 73-Builder[gold] (FBx3); 99-Monument
    80-MEDINA (near Tsingy De Bemaraha): 80-Builder[gold](Ch, F, M); 83-Monument; 88-Builder[gold](Ch,?, on way to repair RIO land); 98-Harbor
    98-RIO: nothing yet, repairing monument, but captured Harbor! :banana: :cheers:

52-Encampment, for State Workforce boost (was hoping to compete for a GG, but decided that was impossible); 88,89,90 – Holy Sites in main 3 cities; 98, 98- Harbors (one chopped in; one captured)

Not as much as I’d like - limited settlers due to what I initially saw of the map, 5 built (capital and 4 others), 1 captured city and 1 captured settler moving to found a city o/a T102; Mecca was not the best spot to build; I would have placed it near where Medina is if I’d known about that landmass, but seeing nothing I decided not to let a settler sit idle while I explored – extra science seemed worth it

- Religion?
    62-Recived last great prophet; no one would listen to him :old: for hundreds of years as he passed his faith among a small sect of believers that finally began to flourish and teach others about the true path
    85-Pantheon - God of the Open Sky (+3 culture); 88-Found Religion - Choral Music (culture for religious buildings), Mosque
    :hmm: Interesting question based upon the timing: Can I found a religion before I have a pantheon? If yes, would I get to select the pantheon belief at the same time?
    100 - still can’t build my first missionary, which is upsetting to my friend Kongo :please:

58-Brazil, 59-India, 67-Kongo, 70-Spain, 91-Japan, haven’t found the others yet; I found Brazil, but all the others were exchange of capital info with ships meeting each other
    Brazil, Kongo, Spain started friendly; I’m making Spain nervous now (and they should be!!); India started to dislike me right away and getting worse with the war; Japan denounced me a couple turns after meeting me [pissed], but Kongo is still my friend!! :hug:

Well, I wouldn’t say I met them so much as they found me…or I met a ship far from their home; adding envoy status (turn - # envoys), not listed is zero, which is the majority of them

46-Kumasi (46-1, 96-3 and Suz); 53-Mohenjo (53-0, 69-2, 71-3 and Suz, 92-Kongo steals Suz); 54-Toronto; 68-Geneva (77-1); 68-Bandar; 70-Buenos; 71-Seoul; 76-Kanday; on turn 71 I see Jerusalem due to Mohenjo Suz, but still haven’t met them yet

I haven’t found the others yet; I think there are still 3 to find; got mostly crappy quests, but hope to get Kandy/Jerusalem up to at least 3 each, if not 6 each; made this harder with initial focus on Kumasi/Mohenjo - this may end up being a strategic mistake with lower religious output, but I really wanted the Suz bonuses

Ugh! - Kongo really jacked me up by stealing the Suz for Mohenjo which I was relying upon for Lux (now 4 cities discontent) and for the ability to grow cities with free fresh water; thanks friend :scared:

Trades? I always traded Open Boarders (usually cost me 15g) and sent a delegation to start; I think being selective on this would be better, but was hoping it would delay walls and ensure future trading. Generally selected whoever would give me the most in return.

58- Brazil: H&I for 289g&4gpt; 60-India: 1L for 9gpt; 72-Kongo: 1L for 232g&4gpt; 78-Kongo declared friend; 85-Spain 1L for ? (accidently selected them, even though ‘what will you give me’ was lower than 2 others I’d already checked); 88-India 1H for 219g&5gpt; 88-Brazil 1I for 162g&2gpt; 90-India 1L for 134g&8gpt; 95-Kongo I pay 7gpt&5g for Joint War with Brazil (I want one friendly nation to trade excess luxuries/etc. while I warmonger; hopefully they will JW with me more and eventually ally – need to get a missionary to them since that is my biggest negative with them right now :assimilate:)

Negative Ghost Rider, that pattern is full – AI builds them SO fast at deity; future capture sounds fun :eek2:

Freaking awesomely evil to start. :viking: Major barbarian warrior/slinger rush from NE had my capital down to 94 health on T28; held on with slingers, then warriors (and archers to finally clear NE); terrain was huge assist that made it easy, but scary when your city is under 50% health. My first warrior was detained in the S and couldn’t help at all as it was very busy clearing a Barb Encamp and trying to find the other scout that had found me so I wouldn’t get another barb rush. After securing island, barbarians have sadly been easily contained - with the AI/CS having ships galore roaming everywhere, I’ve only seen 1 barbarian ship.

- Any surprises?
    1) The map is just totally awesome. I explored the wrong way (2 of 3 galleys) which delayed me finding my nearest neighbors and beyond; after finally finding a neighbor the long coastal distance is causing havoc with my land forces strategy. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2) When I discover bronze working I had already settled my 2nd city, but hadn’t explored the NE part of the island as I was just trying to survive the barb rush. When I saw no Iron initially after discover BW on T31, I had a few choice words for Leif’s evil map design. :mad: :nono: Relief when I realized one was really close on T37. :love:

3) After I first discover Brazil and India they were in the lead for the last 2 Great Prophets. I was thinking yea, capture what appears to be my two closest neighbors soon after they get the last 2 religions and then just send missionaries to the heathens that are left. Then two undiscovered AI bought the GPs dashing all hopes of that strategy. ☹

Strategy and Tactics; intent is to answer the ‘why’ question above?

General Actions: First 20: Assume alone or one other on relatively small island (much smaller than I thought), so start builder/setter with warrior searching close (stay to S) and hanging out to protect 2nd city site. Up to ~T40: Agoge builds (4 slingers & 2 warriors), clear barb insanity, explore remaining part of island. Up to ~T64: Get 3 galleys out to find stuff and build 3 settlers to expand civilization. (Note: Galleys and settlers sped up by chops, put excess into capital encampment.) Founding the 3 additional cities took all the way to T80, 16 turns after making the last darn settler. Up to ~T82: 9 Heavy Chariots to ‘explore’ the Brazilian countryside and such. Up to ~T90: First 3 Holy sites, pantheon and finally place the last religion. Up to T100: 4 Quads (so far, plan 6+), move 5 heavy chariots (+1 warrior, 2 archers, and 2 galleys) into war position – note my 5th heavy chariot was completed on T75 and it took 20 turns to get into war position; 2 harbors (1 chopped, 1 captured) so I can finally get Cartography bonus and start moving on ocean tiles

Annoying Distracted Mistakes: Early on left a worker sitting on a stone to chop forgetting I didn’t have masonry yet - messed up timing of chopping as I moved to forest :wallbash:; accidently traded Spain 1L for about 4gpt when I’d seen another already offer 6+gpt for same :wallbash:; on T64 meant to select gov policy DipLea so I could get +2 envoys with Mohenjo when I built my first HeaChar to complete their quest – I ended up spending 150g on T68 :wallbash: for this mistake as I still wanted to get to 3 envoys for Suz, but didn’t want to delay my HeaChar builds.

War: I’ve only started one so far at T95 :sniper: – Joint War with my friend Kongo :hug: against Brazil. I can’t recall ever starting my first war so late, but I chose the wrong direction to explore and it felt like forever moving my heavy chariots to their shores along the coast. In hindsight, chopping two harbors early for cartography may have worked better, but I typically don’t do that as I can usually capture my closest neighbor fast with land force movement; by the time I realized how far they were it was too late for that as I’d already placed an Encampment and 3 Holy Sites, so I couldn’t chop in harbors. I captured the capital easily with heavy chariots after pillaging all the improvements. Due to the terrain, I’m waiting on knights to take the 2nd city; I don’t see their 3rd city. I had seen them build not 1, not 2, but 3 quads which made me nervous, but now I don’t know where they are; I destroyed a galley with archers in the opening salvo, so maybe they ran away? Or maybe they went to the 3rd city or possibly the 7gpt I gave Kongo to assist is keeping them busy. I plan to offer peace after I take the other city I can see. Coming up, Spain (currently) has the weakest city defenses, so I plan to go to war with them next, but must see what they do while I’m trying to get there.