6otM29 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM29 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- Does the new patch help with Culture victories?
- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you build a religious army?
- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
- What was your most useful unit?
- Was diplomacy useful? How?
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Cultural victory T163 / 1020 AD

My initial build order was scout, scout, settler, builder... At first I thought it might have been better to improve the sheeps with builder, because could not find huts or city states early. Fortunately later on found lots of them and got quite many first envoys.

Maybe it's better if you use religion and the relics for the culture.

Initially settled 5, but barbarian surprised me again and razed 1 city. In late game settled 2 with stolen settlers. Captured 23 cities.

For research, went for Iron working and Stirrups early. Plan was to make sure AI don't build strong domestic culture. Later targeted to Economy and planned to build Big Ben and buy some Great Writers.

For politics, went to political philosophy (for oligarchy) and feudalism (to boost stirrups). I used Oligarchy initially, but switched to Classical Republic after I got knights. Then tried to get Archeologists as fast as possible and then cultural heritage.

No, but I think that might have been interesting way to try this.

Rome and Russia.

Initially 5 swordsmen and 4 archers. Then 5 knights. I also got all the great generals. Unfortunately had no niter for musketmen, but having corps/armies of knights was good enough.

Knights and great generals.

I had bad reputation so couldn't really make any deals.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?

Kumasi was really good.

Strategy was to get lots of great writers and printing, while keeping AI small in domestic culture. Later planned to build Big Ben and buy some Great Writers, but Big Ben was finished very late with not much gold in the bank, so it didn't really help much.

Again got surprised by 1 massive barbarian army and lost 1 city.

All but the barbarian surprise attack :)

Attachments

• gotm29_culture_win_t163.png
    gotm29_culture_win_t163.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 321
  • gotm29_cwin_t163_1020AD.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 282
Cultural victory T273 Score 495

Settled 10 cities

For research, went for Radio as fast as possible

For politics, tried to get Archeologists as fast as possible.

No

No, my civ was loved by almost everyone (except Kongo)

Some archers and warriors, and they remained until the end

Yes, changed many works and artifacts and had open borders with almost all

Yes, especially the bonus of Mohenjo

Strategy was found a religion and get a lot of faith points to buy writers, artists and musicians. I hate to win culturally by destroying opponents, so I took the game to the final ages

Barbarians was bothered in the early game

Yes, but little challenging, AI is still horrible, hoping for expansion

*i'm brazilian, sorry for bad english :D

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE VITCUL T272.Civ6Save
    2.6 MB · Views: 207
Religious victory in turn 179. Was a bit impatient today and felt aggressive as well -> went for domination / religious combination.

Can't tell, did not push towards culture very much.
Settled four (two from captured settlers), captured 23
At first archers and political philosophy, next horse riding and iron working, then whatever I got boosts for.
After having defeated Perikles, Trajan, Gilgamesh and Peter, I triggered my religion, built a mosque and went for 20+ apostles and one guru. Converted Mvemba, my own cities and finally Tomyris while defeating Pedro as well.
Anyone but Tomyris, resurrected Mvemba who already had been defeated by Trajan and Gilgamesh. Shouldn't have, he paid back by denouncing me for war mongering.
Army: 4 slingers, 1 archer, 4 horsemen, 3 warriors, 3 catapults, 3 heavy chariots. Upgraded each of them as early as possible. No navy at all.
Archers, swordmen and a ram
Not very much. Sold some amenities to Pedro, as long as he was friendly towards me, nothing more.
No idea, did not pay attention towards them at all. Just tried to suzerain as many as possible (in the end all of them).
No culture victory, see above.
Third tribal village gave me a relict, which was a good push towards my pantheon ("City patron goddess", I like that one very much).
Yes, very much, because it took me only 6 hours to finish. I prefer fast games.

@leif erikson : thanks very much for the game!

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 179 1180 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 250
Turn 247 CV. I got great works very late and was locked in wars most of the game. In the end I tried to lose some turns by destroying the current AI culture leader Brazil, but it was too late and I won before finishing up with him.

I did not use UU and UB was not that spectacular, but I like the bonus for district proximity. The most useful unit was probably bombard. I had a decent navy, but most cities were inland.

I had probably close to 20 vacation paradises and 2 national parks.

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 247 1680 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 225
Turn 235 CV.

Actually thought I had a really nice archer rush build order, but the archer rush failed due to Pericles being walled and a barbarian surprise attack. So knight rush came way late. Should have followed it up with bombards instead of letting it fizzle out and transitioning to peaceful game. Had Kumasi very early and was suzerain for a long time with a ton of city states so had an obscene culture output and very early globalization. Settled about 8 cities, captured about 10, but should have had a lot more for both.

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 235 1620 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 185
Cultural victory T238 / 1635 AD

I don't usually go for culture victory so it's hard for me to tell.

Settled 9, captured 11, 20 in total.

No real plan for research, just tried to get as many eurekas as possible.
For policies, went for political philosophy and divine right (to get monarchy).

No.

Greece.

About 5 archers, 2-3 swordsmen, 1 horsemen, 1 spearmen. That was enough to bring down Pericles. Upgraded to CBs, samurai and pikemen for the war against Kongo.
As for navy, 2 galleys and 1 quadrireme (for the eurekas).

Hanibal Barca. :D

No, because everyone hated me after wiping out Greece. Except Gilgamesh, somehow we managed to be friends, even allies for a while.

I don't remember the last time I was the suzerain of so many CSs, ended up with 8 or 9.

Strategy was taking all the great works from Greece and Kongo, Theatre Squares everywhere, Eiffel Tower + Cristo Redentor, and buying late game great people.

The huge swath of land to the west full of City States was a surprise.

Sure did.

As always, thanks for the game!

Attachments

• PontifexMax_CVwin_t238.jpg
    PontifexMax_CVwin_t238.jpg
    848 KB · Views: 239
  • PontifexMax_6otm29.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 211
Turn 189 CV

Early game:
- Started builder, settler, ~6 slingers to archers for early war, then more settlers with early empire. Built some scouts in between as well to meet all AIs as fast as possible.
- Got Goddess of the Harvest pantheon thanks to Jerusalem, then conquered it as well as 3 Pericles cities. Ended up with 10 cities, and used the rest of my army to clear out a rather large horse barbarian encampment.

Diplomacy:
- Besides trade routes, deals for resources were really helpful to build up gold. Throughout the game I was allied with 2-3 Civs, friendly with Rome and denounced by Brazil and Greece. I kept only one Art Museum and traded extra great works for money (trading for great works doesn't seemed too bugged anymore, when traded to friendly Civs they provide ~8-12 GPT which is close to a strategic or luxury resource).
- Rome conquered Kumasi, I prioritized the two culture CS for 6 envoys each, then the two commerce ones.

Infrastructure:
- Started with monument everywhere, built two campuses for recording history then placed theatres everywhere, finishing some of them before Feudalism builder wave. I also conquered two campuses and a holy site from Pericles, but didn't bother with religion since the good beliefs (Papal Primacy, Jesuit Education) were taken.
- With builders chopping, finished theatres, built 4 commercial hubs for trade routes, then started amphitheaters. Russia got the first two writers, and I used the faith from harvesting to rush the 3rd one.
- Eventually got museums up and chopped / bought archaeologists. Then I started building up more science infrastructure, Newton helped a lot as lack of science CS meant relying on buildings and rationalism. I finished filling museums, got social media and computers at the same time about 6 turns before victory.

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 189 1280 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 147

Culture win turn 231.

Not sure what changed, haven't played in a while.
4 Initial settles, took 4 cities from Perikles. After that I grew them, got attacked by Mvemba so anihilated him from the game. Then I settled two cities to the north which got decent production, a ton gold and a great spot for a national park on a wonder. Also settled four cities in the wilderness to the south west where not a single AI had travelled for two more wonder-parks, a bunch of luxuries and an insane seaside city. Took the capitals of Rome and Brazil because Rome had the audacity to declare on me and he was in the way of Brazil who was lookiing like he was going to run away big.
Army at first and then the seaside + archaelogy bomb. Had crappy production and gold though so archaelogosists took way too long.
Nope, just converted a few city states for eurekas and my own cities for amenities. Spent most of the midgame at war with Russia and Brazil denied the peace so I could kill all their religious units with my military.
Mvemba, kept all others alive (Pericles at a single city).
Started with 4 horsemen and a few archers and warriors. Got 6 chariots just for instant knights and then used whichever horse unit was stronger than their walls and leapfrogged the eras. Built 4 battleships when I saw Brazil had his battleships out.
Probably knights, more or less everyone declared on me when I had them.
Tomyris kept dumping her art on me. :D
I built a lot of colossal heads late game and camps for trade routes was amazing!
Resorts, also had three parks with wonders in them and my top appeal was 13 in one of their squares I think.
Spoiler :
Didn't find Tomyris until very late. Forgot their was one civ unnacounted for. :D

Yes, very fun! Loved having easy access to so many city states and the AIs all kept each other from expanding so I had the world to myself!

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 231 1600 AD Win.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 130
Turn 298 (1854 AD) Culture Victory
I did not record the score and there is no Hall of Fame?

I'm not sure what the patch changed with CV
I had a large number of cities. Maybe 50
Feudalism, Divine Right, and Military Tactics
Used a large number of inquisitors and apostles.
The Greeks and the Romans
Horsemen and a Great General. A couple of pikes and knights. A handful of Samurai, bombards later.
Samurai attacking cities at full health even though taking ranged damage was helpful.
It was for declaring Joint Wars instead of Surprise Wars. When I occupied too many cities and declared a Formal War against Kongo there was no more diplomacy.
Kongo and Greece had city-state based agendas. I found Preslav helpful because of the horsemen army.
I ran a lot of Theater Square Festivals. I wanted some religious art and then themed them later.
After joining in Joint Wars I had some Joint Wars declared on me. I ploughed through them.
I would have liked to have finished it much sooner. It was my first Immortal win.

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 298 1854 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 98
CV 158T

I started with builder, settler. Then 2 x Holy Sites followed by couple of Holy Site projects to get an early religion. After securing religion, built an army and started warmongering.

I stopped warmongering after I had eliminated Greece and seriously crippled Rome, Kongo, and Brazil. I should have pushed all the way to Russia and Scythia to cripple their culture, but just got tired of moving troops. If I had done that, the finishing turn could have been maybe something like 5 to 10 turns faster.

My religion was just awesome:
Earth Goddess pantheon + Jesuit Education + Papal Primacy.
+ planting Colossal Heads everywhere.
+ suzeraining Valletta (faith purchaced monuments).
In the end I was generating ridiculous amounts of faith without really having to invest into Holy Site buildings nor slotting the faith related government cards.

Spoiler It's just amazing how much faith one can generate with Earth Goddess + Colossal Heads :

Thanks for the game.

Attachments

• HOJO TOKIMUNE 158 CV.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
That was brutal. It was a really fun game -- thanks for putting it together for us, Leif. However, the bugs and terrible AI have gotten to me -- I've got to take a break til I hear from braver players that expansions or patches have improved things. Man, that was rough.

Not sure - didn't play old way.

Settled most of the continent, but with little patchy cities -- and stolen settlers. Didn't capture many cities til midgame, tho I got a few from Greece in peace deals. Then everyone hated me, so I just took everythigng.

cheap stuff. whatever was within range, reasonably, and cheaply -- envoys, governments, units

No -- didn't realize how much faith (13000!) I would save by not doing that. I only needed a few k for apostles (wanted relics, but had to capture Mont St Michel from other side of the world). Ended up using faith for great people

Strangely no, tho I fought all but Rome.

crossbows and cats i think early - just upgraded. eventually built some frigates but had to upgrade to battleships -- that was around the time i took tech superiority.. i thought my frigates were hot stuff, then i saw others had battleships. but i had artillery -- and a human brain.

My two tanks were fun. used a lot of archers/field cannons, then artillery, then infantry, then tanks

Selling resources kept my economy afloat until i got markets up -- when everyone hated me. trade routes were vital because i targeted -- and got -- great zimbabwe. HUGE.

I think Greece warned me once; oh well. I had 7 CS under my control by the end, tho Rome conquered La Venta in the last turn or two. I assume their bonuses were helpful -- prioritized faith, then culture, then gold and production. Liked toronto for its 9 tile thing and Mohenjo was vital for its water thing.

Ha -- poor but fun! Aimed for apostle/relics. got the correct religion but missed Mont St Michel. Shifted to military to get it, tho didn't build encampments or too many units. Rolled over people as they DOWed me on the way to Scythia for that wonder. Somewhere in there started building theater districts -- never used specialists. Eventually got mont st michel and started pumping apostles, converting cities on the way to russia and then martyring apostles in russia. Finally got cristo. was at like 1400 tourism in the end.

So many bugs. So many. Just so sad. I wrote about one earlier, but I had several. One where a spy siphoned gold and then I had no income forever -- had to go back and lost a couple hours of real world time.
Had the one happen where there was no place for the unit to move and I coulnd't end the turn. \
Had a privateer with only an option to delete it... could not end turn, nothing near it. Just deleted it as it was near end game.
Seems like there are more. If anyone wants details, saves, screenshots, let me know -- I can check the log and see what I have.

Despite all the bugs and frustrations, I really did enjoy it. It was a cool idea to do culture as Japan, so thanks for that, and I really liked the map -- contain the enemies and expand west, befriending city states.
Civ6 has a lot of great ideas, but so much wrong with it. Maybe i'll post my list of complaints later -- I started using my notepad file as a place to log them. It's a pretty game, though, and very intricate. I hope it gets better like all the other ones have between release and final expansion.

Attachments

• justwonHOJO TOKIMUNE 269 1790 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 170
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom