1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM29 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Dec 14, 2017.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM29 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Glencairn2

Glencairn2 Chieftain

Settled NW for the plains/hill start.

Animal Husbandry, Archery, Astrology, Mining, Bronze Working (like 3CSs demanded a spearman), after that nothing special.

Scout (found a second one early on, so decided not to nuild another), Builder, Slinger, Settler, Builder, Holy Site, (Archer purchased), Shrine, Prayers, Spearman (for the CSs, and the boost).

Found Pericles early, he DoWed me, after that we were friends, but since I went nuts with the CSs, he keeps denouncing me - all others are nice people :hug:

Build a Holy Site early, after that 2 more for sustaining Shinto, 2 Campi and after that lots of Theatre Districts.

Finished Pyramids, but really late and wasn´t prioritizing - they were just too cheap not to go for them.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Early on, to block Greece a little and for more Cattle (Open Sky pantheon), after that progress was really slow. Built 4, took none (due to "low" difficulty and plenty of space I decided not to go down the warmonger route and play peacefully with no city grabbing)

In the beginning nothing special, kinda odd was taking the +2 Prophet pts to secure my beliefs of choice, and after that taking Literary Tradition due to the high amount of cultural civs in the game.

Strangely I met LOTS of CSs first, getting seven free envoys (Pericles did not even find Valletta next to his cap?!). After that, I focussed a lot on CSs, especially the cultural and religious ones, trying to fulfill most quests, taking Religious Unity before a holy building helped out there...

At start they hurt a lot, even lost a warrior and slinger to them, after expanding a little they were no problem and are kinda vanished by now, without me hunting them down...:hmm:

- Any surprises?

Lots!
    1. The huge landmass on a fractal map
    2. The density of CSs next to Japan
    3. All the nice different continents close to Japan, with all their luxuries! :crazyeye: Never had an ammenity issue whilst growing large cities
    4. I tried to get the Meji Restauration steam achievement, then found it´s impossible to harvest luxuries (played a lot with the harvest all things mod lately, wasnt aware of it) - but strangely got the achievement for an IC with only 5 adjacent districts.... :goodjob:

3. Zeppa

Zeppa Chieftain

Am at about turn 80. Built 4 cities. Met Greece early on. Built slinger, slinger, scout, slinger. B-lined researched to archer and upgraded the slingers. Then built builders and settlers. Have not met any other civs and Greece went from green to denounce in a very short time. Have 2 libraries and a horseman factory. Thanks for the game Leif, love the holiday avatar---HO-HO-HO!

4. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Chieftain

I settled in place. Second city was northeast on the river. I decided not to settle coastal as Japan.
    I researched Bronze Working, Horseback Riding, and Mathematics. I also researched Mysticism, Political Philosophy, and Militray Training.
    Mostly slingers and builders. Encampment Training to get a Great General. Only a couple of settlers so far.
    Greece right off the bat, plus city states. Everyone is really friendly and wants delegations
    Prioritised Encampment and Holy Site. Captured a Theater District.
    No land cleared for Wonders.
    I settled about 4 cities and captured 1.
    God King to get Pantheon. Discipline to take care of horse barbs.
    Jerusalem was a natural ally. Met other ones further east including Valetta.
    Had some horse barb problems to the west.
    - Any surprises?
    Valetta completely brought down Athens' defenses so I could just walk in with a horseman.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  5. Ludvig

Ludvig Chieftain

I haven't played a ton and I'm probably quite crappy compared to a lot of people here but I love the concept of these GoTM threads so I will try it. Never done an immortal win and I still have trouble being consistent on emperor so this seemed like a real challenge. I didn't follow the exact list of instructions for telling about my early game but I hope this is ok.

Fair warning: Spoilers on a few leaders are in this post, hope this conforms to the guidelines.

Spoiler :
    I settled in place for the sweet sweet sheep and to have locations for mines. Then I went east and settled Osaka on the same river for the coast eureka and a decent production city and to snag copper and a shot at the Pyramids. Went for exploring early so scout, worker, scout, settler, slinger. Super high risk but it payed off because my warrior and a scout could funnel the first barbs away from the city until I had slingers, they were very neighborly. I met a bunch of civs and quickly realised that culture with these civs on this difficulty was going to go bad for me so I started prioritising an army. Everyone seemed decently friendly but I figured I needed to cryst

I researched husbandry first for obvious reasons, then mining and archery. Continued with writing and currency before going for bronze working when I realised I would need to have a strong military.

I put down a campus in Kyoto early and a camp in Osaka pretty early because after exploring a bit I realised I wouldn't stand a chance at culture without "cheating" a little and reducing the competition with a massive army. After that I settled to the west and north for Iron and got another campus in Okayama to the north and a camp in Kyoto for spamming out horsemen from my solo horse resouce. I missed the window of an early rush (I'm very bad at those, especially on such a high diffuclty) so I had to wait for horsemen and siege towers before assaulting Pericles alongside Trajan. Right now I'm hoping to keep that going with knights (will research them pretty soon) and probably settle a few cities in my calm west to grow for theaters, luxuries and backup holiday resorts late game.

I went for Pyramids late but got it, still holding out a hope for Terracotta and Alhambra but I'm not sure how it will go. I was really short on cash early so I placed my camps in Kyoto and Osaka in stupid locations meaning I need a third camp for Alhambra.

I am in turn 99 with 4 total founded and capped Greece's capitol and on my way to cap another city or two from them to get some theater districts.

I prioritised a pantheon for pasture culture and then cheaper unit cards. Went Oligarchy mostly because my buddies Trajan and Gilgamesh did and I'm trying to have them erase a few competitors before backstabbing them. I realised too late that Trajan might be the worst of the bunch to keep alive since he accumulates a lot of culture but I am already allied with both him and Gilga. Any tips on how I can get Gilga to hate him? Forward settle Trajan to make him denounce me, will that make Gilga angry at him or me? Denounce him myself?
    I have met a ton of city states but only have Morenho Daro and Preslav on my side so far. Have some random delegates at a few others.

- Any surprises?
    The only surprise is that I am at turn 99 and haven't been defeated. I think I'm actually ahead in research which I have trouble being at emperor normally. There is also one unclaimed religion and with the holy sites I stole from Pericles I might get it.

6. daheat43

daheat43 Chieftain

So... I've been playing this game for many many hours, and was looking at wrapping up victory. But it appears that having had my gold siphoned, i will never again get income. Here's a link to a bug: https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/340412122413877639/

Is that really the case? I don't think it's going back and replaying 3 hours to when it happened... surely this is somehow fixable? Anyone know?

7. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

8. daheat43

daheat43 Chieftain

Never played immortal before. Strategy will be to go for faith/reliquary victory. Need to go a little wide but everyone wound up hating me last game as warmongering Aztecs -- don't want that. Maybe take out a neighbor who DOWs me or one who is weak.

Worker SE grassland in preparation for settler NW. Reveals seaside resort territory. SIP for access to coast for ship building, tho I lose forest to chop
    Second city was one tile NW of cattle by gypsum, rice, salt

Tech:
    Astrology
    Animal Husbandry
    Pottery (almost archery for quest but want wheat bonus)
    Writing (since boosted)
    Archery
    Mining
    Currency (boosted)
    Bronze Working
    Masonry?

Kyoto:
    Scout
    Monument (to builder to holy site to shrine to settler and back to monument)
    Slinger (50% off)
    Slinger
    Slinger
    Builder (I have zero amenities!)
    Settler (50% off)
    Settler (50% off)
    Oracle (failed)
    Settl;er

Osaka:
    Holy Site
    (Buy builder)
    Shrine

Nagoya:
    Granary

Tokyo
    Granary

Found greece quickly, rome and pedro relatively quickly. then kongo by 50

Faith for prophet -- got religion on 63 with reilquaries... but missed mont st. michel eventually (so the whole game skewed toward capturing that from the other side of the world)

Oracle - missed it.

Civics:
    Code of Laws
    Foreign Trade
    Mysticism (for oracle? and envoy)
    Beeline divine right for govt change and GP points
    Beeline Mont St Michel

Cultivated Mohenjo Daro for culture and its water thing. Also Jerusalem and La venta, prioritizing the former for its holy city thing. The cultural city state just to my east, Kumasi, got fought over by everyone, winding up as part of Rome (good for me)

Not a problem

- Any surprises?
    The AI fought each other a lot. that helped. My war with Greece (they started it, but I got cities for peace) ended on turn 100.
    Big surprise was that the whole western continent was mine if I could bottle up my eastern frontier. thatworked out well, bothsettling all luxuries but furs and also befriending all those city states before others... and eventurally converting them for Tithe, tho Tithe is nerfed compared to Civ V it seems.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 9:29 PM