1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM39 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, May 14, 2018.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM39 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you discover any new exploits? Did you find old ones fixed?
    - Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

CV t240 1645AD, Score 2455 (post 1 of 2)

DISCLAIMER: As this is my 1st Game of the month, I thought I’d take the time to make a log of the game’s activities in no small detail.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? A bunch.
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? Situational.
    - Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history? Brazil, English, Aztecs, USA.
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? Crossbows @ first due to lack of iron, then knights & raiders, then Tanks. No naval units what-so-ever.
    - Did you use your UU? Was it useful? Quite useful for skirmishing, pillaging and era score.
    - What was your most useful unit? The knight armies as they upgraded to Tanks.
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? Nope. They were all red faced essentially through the entirety of the game.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Kumasi especially so. No real issues with city states (other than getting a bunch of bonuses from them).
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? Theatre Squares and attendant art and archeological museums.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? No dark, one normal (the first), the rest gold.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? Had some issues when conquering the Americans (see below).
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Nothing unexpected.
    - Did you discover any new exploits? Did you find old ones fixed? No.
    - Did you enjoy the game? Yes, very much so. It was my 1st cultural victory that actually kind of felt like a cultural victory. What I mean is the game didn’t end as I conquered a city and eliminated a civ thereby lowering the CV threshold.

Well my dire premonition from my post in 6otM39 Opening Action turned out to be “nothing but the rain” (a saying Starbuck used in BSG to indicate she was destroying cylons by the truckload). After freeing Belem from the Spanish tyranny, I moved south to Vilnius eyeing an opportunity to acquire 3 free cultural state envoys! Unfortunately, once I got to Vilnius, I noted the Spaniard had set the poor people of Vilnius to work building him an iron mine in a far southern tile near Jerusalem. I figure they’d be better off with me anyway as the Spaniard could return to repeat his dastardly conquest a second time!

I then sent my 3 crossbowmen and upgraded swordsman East across a desert where they began to siege a pesky Spanish walled city. This went on for 3 or so turns before fizzling out as I began taking far too much fire. I decided this was not such a good idea. Besides, when I looked at long list of cities the fellow had, I knew without knights in the area this was going to be both a tough and a long campaign. And for what? A bunch of Holy Sites?

It was around this time I realized this was a cultural victory game, and Kumasi was on the map. I checked my envoy levels, saw I had 4 available to deploy, and without looking at the war status or “Influenced By” tab, I plopped 3 down into the city. +4 to +6 culture for each trade route now! A BONANZA!!!

The very next turn I took a closer look and saw Aztec troops surrounding the city in the process of a siege! I immediately declared a protectorate war and was now technically fighting on 2 far reaching fronts (although I was about to make peace with the Spaniard and collect some war reparations). Now that I had iron and some cash flow, as well as a *critical need* for a well-trained knight, I plunked down some of the Spaniard’s gold and bought an armory and *immediately* began building a knight.

I was thinking on declaring another war on the Spanish so as to utilize my x3 crossbowmen with x3 promotion each, but thought better of it once I realized that they could be on the English front (which I was thinking could erupt at any moment) near Manchester in only 7 or 8 turns due to the extra movement provided by their great general! Besides, the Spaniard's defense during the last war was spirited! Off they went as I built green replacements to garrison the former Brazilian lands against a possible Spanish incursion.

Two turns later Kumasi fell to Montezuma. As luck would have it, the turn after that an EMERGENCY for Kumasi was declared against dreadlord Montezuma. Being at war with him already and headed for Kumasi anyway, I accepted with vigor! Victoria also joined the fray.

6 turns later, out popped my armory trained knight getting +25% experience for the stable, +25% for the armory, and +25% with a governor due to the Mapuche Toqui ability.
    Spoiler :
    1-Kumasi.png

The knight caught up with my 2 crossbowmen and sieged Kumasi. 2 shots from my crossbowmen dropped the city garrison to about 50% then my knight went in…

BOOM.

A turn or two before liberating Kumasi from the amenity crazed Aztec, the English and the Dutch declare a joint war on me leaving me at war with everyone but my former arch enemy, the Spaniard.

Then Monty offered a peace agreement at which point I looked at his screen, noting he too was at war with the English and Dutch. I accepted his reparations and made peace with him, noticing some skirmishing off to the West between English/Dutch forces and his own. Shrug, AI’s will be AI’s.

Off to take and probably raze the Dutch city of Maastricht just North of Kumasi. I wasn’t holding on to much hope for actually being able to keep the city and had planned just to raze it and head South toward England, but, a turn or two later when I had conquered it, there was no red fist! I did a double take, checked the loyalty numbers, and yep. This former Dutch colony off in the middle of nowhere was now loyal to the Mapuche!!!

I headed down toward Manchester, which seemed the natural place to start the English liberation effort.

After buying a siege tower with gold in Nag Mapu, I waited a couple of turns before it arrived, making sure to keep my units out of the city garrison’s 2 tile fire zone. I think I destroyed 3 or 4 units in the meantime waiting for the siege tower to arrive. Once the siege tower was in place I used crossbows, my knight and swordsman to siege the city! My poor swordsman came within an inch of being destroyed and the fiend managed to destroy a relative green (1 promotion) crossbowman :-( before the abominable city fell.

Here are screenshots of the Eastern and Western frontiers as of turn 133. As you can see, I’m not particularly far along on this cultural victory bit. But I’m working on it!
    Spoiler :
    2-133-East.png
    2-133-West.png

On a side note, even though the Spaniard stole my +5 era score I would have received for ending the Brazilian civilization, I still managed to trip another golden age.

I determined that another critical need existed for highly trained, easily promotable and healable units, (especially knights), so I plopped down more gold for a military academy and got it without any production lag time. This allowed me to produce a knight and Malon raider in relative short order with +25% stable, +25% armory, +25% military academy, and +25% Toqui. I have half a mind to expend the retirement charge of Hannibal Barca and add another +25% to what will become my lead knight unit in the English campaign. Back to the game, more to follow…

Turn 135, I managed to build the Forbidden City in Rio De Janiero! I was thinking that I’d have to add the Liberalism civic in addition to the Republican Legacy Wildcard I have already implemented in order to keep the people happy. For now, the Retainers civic (+1 amenity for a garrisoned unit) will have to do.

Turn 136, the siege of Liverpool is going unexpectedly well. I am thinking amenities might become a problem before my Grand Master’s Chapel finishes in 8 turns (allowing me to garrison cities with faith derived scouts) and/or the Liberalism Civic hits in 7 turns.
    Spoiler :
    4-136 2nd English City.png

The rest of the English empire looks like it may be within reach!
    Spoiler :
    4-136-EnglishEmpire.png

The siege of London is also going unexpectedly well also. If the rest of the war goes like this it could actually turn into a problem due to lack of amenities! Luckily, Victoria has built the Temple of Artemis in London and it should take some of the edge off the war weariness/amenity levels.
    Spoiler :
    5-139-London Going Well.png

Turn 140, London falls. Add 4 amenities and a not insubstantial gold supply from the truffle camps. Add +1 more amenity when I improve the cattle plantation. This should be the new military academy trained knights 2nd promotion!

Time for a midgame update!

Science
    Unmet Player ???
    Mapuche 178.7
    Cree 55.9
    English 20.8
    Spain 41.5
    Dutch 54.5
    Montezuma 30.2

Culture
    Cree 95.7
    Unmet Player ???
    Mapuche 163.6
    Dutch 47
    English 18.1
    Spain 44.6
    Aztec 35.9
    Spoiler :
    7-142-Midgame Update.png

PS, London triggered an EMERGENCY and the English decided to donate another 1600 gold to the Mapuche cause.

The war for cultural supremacy rages on!!! I was hoping for a few Theatre Squares, but mostly found campuses, commercial hubs, and holy sites in what had been the English empire. I have begun building them behind the lines in earnest however.

The Nationalism civic hit and I have begun to create corps. I am about to take Texcoco from the English but had to wait due to my military academy knight being delayed a turn while becoming a corps. In the meantime I am trying to summon a final knight with faith, making all my units corps, but am slightly short.

Where, I wondered, can I get the faith? I looked over to the west and spied an advanced holy site with all the buildings in Atzcapotzalco. Haah! That’ll help expedite my knight corps! I declared war on the Aztec and pillaged his Holy Site with the Malon Raider. Unfortunately I did not have the Raid civic policy card in play so I’ll have to wait until next turn to buy the knight.
    Spoiler :
    8-149 PrePillage.png
    8-149-PostPillage.png

That Holy Site pillage from turn 149 turned into something of an prolonged engagement with the Aztec, which ended on turn 160 as I took his capital. The new problem is the flashing RED FIST!!! My best guess as to the cause would be the 3 Dutch cities to the North. I’m thinking, having just unlocked the Zoo improvement with Natural History, and with the Entertainment Complex pre-built in Tenochtalan, I have an opportunity to annex the rabble rousing Dutch with little to no hit on my people’s happiness rating.
    Spoiler :
    11-160-DutchFisting.png

I don't seem to be making much headway toward a cultural victory. I'm thinking the next logical step toward achieving a cultural victory would be to pivot my army and try to eliminate the higher culture rating Cree and American civilizations. Unfortunately I now find myself having to deal with these crazed Dutch hell bent on red fisting my new city!

...to be continued in the next reply...

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
  3. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

CV t240 1645AD, Score 2455 (post 2 of 2)

DISCLAIMER: As this is my 1st Game of the month, I thought I’d take the time to make a log of the game’s activities in no small detail.

...continued from previous post...

Note to self: I wonder if I could pare the competing civ’s population too much and not have enough domestic tourists from which to draw from? Time will tell…

I took a break from the game and upon returning, I decided that it would be a better idea to attack the Americans as they had a few great works I could creatively heist. I traded them some gold per turn and some amenities for two great books then immediately declared war. With the DOW, he lost the gold per turn and the amenities but I still had the books ;-). It would appear that he was allied with the Cree (as I found myself at war with them now also).

Anyway, no casualties as yet but with the Combustion technology so close at hand I figured a tactical retreat to friendly territory for upgrades was in order. That and my 4 double shot knight units were taking heavy fire.
    Spoiler :
    12-Settler Heading For Oil.png

Update turn 176: I noticed the mad Dutchmen were trying to take over poor Kumasi, so I declared a protectorate war on them (leaving me at war with the whole board except one of my earliest foes, the Spanish). Not sure why the Spanish theatre has been so quiet, haven’t checked the status of religion lately. Maybe he has something in the works, shrug.
    Spoiler :
    13-Update Kumasi.png

The war with the US rages on. I conquered Washington, but it showed a -23 loyalty rating! Luckily for me, I had multiple tank armies in the area and conquered a few other cities in close proximity, then reconquered Washington itself. All the cities are in the red, but I think with other cities falling we should be able to add America’s cultural distinctiveness to our own.
    Spoiler :
    14-USA.png

Conquered the USA and finally got around to annexing those disruptive Dutch cities that were exerting loyalty pressure on the former Aztec capital. I then declared peace on Wilhelmina, choosing to attempt a more peaceful cultural victory from here on out.

There seemed to be at least some danger of the Spaniard slipping in a few Apostles and gaining a foothold in the Western continents. So, as a group of 5 of his apostles were passing through my territory toward the Dutch and Cree, I declared a surprise war on him and eventually dispatched them all before they could do much damage. So if I can rule out religious victory from Spain, I’m thinking this cultural victory thing may be in the proverbial bag (albeit of an unknown timeframe, ie. as I’ve never practically done it by any other means than accidentally, who knows how long it will take).

Things seem to be coming along somewhat. I now have 15 of the 139 tourists needed for a CV. Now that my warring is by and large done (if for no other reason than I need some foreign tourists left to come vacationing to Mapuche lands), let me check Victoria’s Cultural Victory Guide real quick. After a quick glance, it looks like I need:
    1. Seaside Resorts
    2. National Parks
    3. Build more stock exchanges to recruit Jamseth Tata.
    4. Build more power plants to recruit great engineer Masaru Ibuka.
    5. Build the Eifel Tower
    6. Make use of policy cards.
    Turn 212, I seem to be making some headway.
    Spoiler :
    15-Culture 212.png

I think if I took Poundmaker out I could lower the culture requirement from 152 to 89. But I wouldn’t be able to entice any of his non-existent tourists away from his lands either. Hmm…

Turn 219, had to declare another war on the Spanish to stop the green death from invading my Western lands, the Cree, and the Dutch.
    Spoiler :
    16-219 - Green Death.png

Turn 229 Note: I should have made Theatre Squares in all my conquered English cities as their Archeological Museums hold 6 artifacts (although they do not seem to theme automatically). The 6 slots do help, however, with theming other museums due to the breadth of the inventory. I also seem to be running low on artifact sites. I think I may have built too many archeological museums.
    Spoiler :
    17-Turn 229 - Progress - Theming.png

Messed around another 10 turns while I continued to accrue great people then the cultural victory screen flashed on turn 240.
    Spoiler :
    18-240-CV Victory Screen.png
    18-240-Hamurabi.png
    18-240-CulturalVictoryScreen.png

Moderator Action: Thank you for the excellent report. I added spoiler tags on the images because there are people that use the forum that do not have high speed internet and without spoiler tags it will require a great deal of time to load these pages. Thanks again, leif

Thanks, will use spoiler tags in future.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Casualty of war likes this.
  4. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

CV 133

Settled 14 and captured 11.

Astrology, drama and poetry then printing and finally flight.

Planned not to. Played the first 70 turns peacefully. Wilhelmina was capturing city states like maniac. Eventually, participated on an emergency against her. And then things just snowballed. Sent Wilhelmina and Teddy to the dustbin of history.

Overflow warriors into swords and in the very end upgraded them to muskets.

No, swords were enough.

The UA can be very strong. I should have built more of those in early game.

All the Great Writers.

In the early days sold everything, but in the end everyone hated me.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?

Very helpful with Kilwa.

Found a relic quite early. So decided to rush religion (built 4 holy sites). Picked Reliquaris belif. That didn't work well (ended up having only 1 relic). Then switched to great writer strategy and started to spam theater squares. In the end focused more on science to reach flight.

All golden.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?

It forces you to conquer faster and sometimes you need to chop more pop or a monument.

Yes, very much. Thanks for the game.

Attached Files:

5. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

CV Turn 228

I played sloppy as usual, but I wanted to tinker with the Mapuche abilities. I probably should have focused much more on early chem spam and tile appeal. I was able to make good use of them in the middle game but I think getting them down early and targeting city locations with high appeal would have really made a difference. I was lazy on science too so I researched flight way too late to get an early victory anyway - I'm pretty dang slow with research compared to most people here and I don't think I've ever topped 1K.

Netherlands invaded me shortly after opening actions while I was fighting England so I accepted a peace treaty for about 60GPT and then focused on defending. They actually caught me off guard and brought a nice mix of units in but luckily no knights so it wasn't too hard to defend it. I actually made a tactical error here because I had prebuilt some chariots but then totally forgot to improve my iron resource that I had pillaged so I couldn't upgrade them for the invasion and had to do a lot of hit and run attacks. It took me about 6 turns to get a builder down there to repair it.

Spoiler Netherlands Invades :
    20180519233447_1.jpg

Someone beat me to the Colosseum too - it was gone when my ED completed just after turn 100 which I have rarely seen happen.

I found it more difficult than usual to ramp up my tourism this game. I used Divine Spark pantheon to get extra writer points but I got it really late. Teddy was easily tripling my science output and I didn't feel like slogging through two civs to get to him so I knew he was going to ramp up and I was in for a long game.

Then England strikes back and declares a reconquest war. I at least had enough forethought to secure that border and it's a good thing I did because they brought some heat. They even brought some bombards and managed to take out my encampment and damage my city walls. I lost a few units too - definitely some improvement in AI attacking capability but I still saw them make quite a few obvious blunders and they weren't coordinating to kill my damaged units like they should have been. The Dutch too had De Zeven around during the end of their attack but weren't using them to bombard my raiders. They still have a ways to go.

Spoiler England Strikes Back :
    20180522133927_1.jpg

Spoiler Things get a bit hairy :
    20180522135056_1.jpg

Well enough of that - it's time for a pillage party!

Spoiler London's Burning :
    20180522190929_1.jpg

Malon raiders are seriously good. I forgot they get a combat boost for being near friendly territory. If you combine that with a civ in a golden age and a GG then they will bulldoze everything. Their pillaging is insane too - I was taking out districts and improvements left and right sometimes 3 in a single turn. Mix in farms to heal and just keep going.

After capturing London - it was a long slow coast to victory. I beelined for flight then computers and purchased a crap ton of archaelogists and museums. I wanted to go for Eiffel to get the appeal boost but it would have taken too long - I was building it when victory triggered. I needed 227 tourists and Teddy kept steadily climbing so it took a long while. I made another blunder by not prioritizing Reyna early for her tourism boost so that delayed things.

All in all - I think the Mapuche are really strong for culture and well above average overall - they are one of my favorite civs to play. I know I would do better in another run but I may take a little break from Civ to focus on other things.

Thanks for another great map! I've had a lot of fun participating

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
  6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

CV 125 - violence is a virtue
    Was just messing around, not counted. Could have been faster if I had managed taking capitals better.
    Settled 6 (2 stolen settlers) captured 23 - I did have harvest just could not be bothered settling cities. I did not attack until around T55.
    Went for a horse into knight approach, then to xbows for kilwa, then printing and flight, finished a couple of turns off computers.
    The UU is useless... why can you not upgrade horsemen into them... craaazy.
    I settles the cap on 2 horses and sold them as soon as possible, when it was time to build horses I just declared war on those 2 civs to get the horses back.
    Did not bother with coliseum or pyramids early, just Oracle. Zhangye is just an awesome wonder, too good to ignore, Ubsunur was in a great place for Kilwa and had iron
    Only Aztecs went golden initially which ws a pain but in the medieval age most were and it was just simple.
    Managed to loose enemy envoys by letting their last city revolt then rescue it. A bit naughty but the whole city flip thing is abusable in so many ways but still nowhere near the impact of Harvest Pantheon.
    T125 I wiped out teddy who was the leading opposition, if you remove them from play then you are not competing against their score. This means if you take an early civ like England and just leave with their capital but make sure they get little culture then keep all civs in play and do not worry about their culture, just wipe them out at the end when you have enough tourism to beat England... I should have tried this strat but got excited and failed.... I think about T110 with that strat is possible.
    It really is stupid how you can win all VC's best with violence but hey ho, its still fun.
    upload_2018-5-28_1-3-27.png

I hate the way a free city with an enemy unit in it you cannot do anything with, you cannot declare war against the enemy and attack the free city, you cannot attack the free city, you cannot even loot it. When a citr goes free the unit inside should be moved toward the nearest friendly city. Sure its just one turn but just annoying you have no choices. Below a cree in an American free city, I had to wait for them to leave.
    upload_2018-5-28_1-4-34.png

Same here but was happy with 24 tourism earlyish, not may religions are that good anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  7. nufro

nufro Chieftain

T214 CV

The simplest path here is to pick a golden age victim and hit them :)

Attached Files:

8. lordofcivs

lordofcivs Lord of The Civilizations

CV - Turn 246 - Score 2361
    I had to reload the game for a few times, which means I do not qualify for the GoTM competition due to its rules. Hence, I'm not uploading my file. Nevertheless, I'm sharing my experience. It was a fun game.

Settled 3 early cities, and then went for warmongaring. Captured a total of 26 cities, and settled 7 more to make a total of 10 self settled cities.

My civics and tech researches were mainly focused on targeting specific wonders.

England, Aztec, Dutch & Brazil. Though I later revived Dutch and Brazil myself by capturing and liberating their free cities (to receive tourism from them.)

I started first war with Archers + Warriors, which took England and Dutch both. Later on my main army was Horsmen which helped my take down Aztec. Was really upsetting that I couldn't upgrade my fully developed Horsemen army into Malon Raider. So had to go for fast researching of Military Science so that I could upgrade them to Cavalry.

Completely useless, as it could not be upgraded from Horsemen. Only built one for era score.

Horseman. Pillaging was very helpful.

Later on it was, when I needed tourism boost. Had to liberate a few cities to calm down their red faces so that they could open border with me.

Yes. They were very useful, especially Yerevan. I had to liberate it though and keep him as my suzeran so that I can make plenty of Relics. Babylon was also helpful later on in science boost when I had plenty of relics, great works of writing and artifacts. Kept both of them suzerain for the rest of the game.

I took God of the Open Sky Pantheon Belief, which made all my pastures into culture / tourism boosting improvements. Although I went for warmongaring, overall my main focus was on Wonders + Relics + Theater Square Buildings. As I don't usually play warmongaring in culture victory games, I did plenty of mistakes. I feel that game could have finished about 50 turns ago if I had not changed into peace strategy later on.

Except first era, all were golden ages.

Loyalty was not big issue in settling. Though Swift Hawk ability of Lautaro was more of a problem then help. Twice the enemy cities became free states while I was in their borders and had killed most of the enemies. But once they became free cities, they gained more troops.

Exactly what discussed previously. Due to Lautaro's Swift Hawk, twice it happened that the city I was conquering became free cities and delayed my capturing of those cities by many turns.

Magnus is now giving lesser yields, though he's still very helpful. For tourism victory I think it's very beneficial for reviving the dead civs. I just did it by coincidence, and revived Dutch and Brazil once they became free cities. Next time in tourism victory I would try to target this specifically. These one cities back in techs civs can get friendlier much easily and give open borders for things like horses and iron.

Map was great, and the city states were awesome. People can play with this in entirely different way. to achieve the victory. Though I feel that Lautaro is a very weak hero. His UU is completely useless as it's not upgraded from horseman, and then cavalry can be reached rather quickly. Only time he can be good is if the fight started in the era when he's available, as Malon Raider is almost as strong as Cavalry, but cheaper to build and has lower maintenance. However, this rarely happens in our game. Also, his unique improvement Chemamul sounds great in books for a cultural victory, it's not too helpful either (like my game ended with only 4 Chemamuls on the map, even though I had planned to build about 15 more right after Eiffel Tower was made.) His ability Swift Hawk is more of a problem then help, as transforming an enemy city into free city during a fight can mess up a fight completely. Only thing helpful is his Toqui ability, which provides experience boost to troops and strength increase as well if fighting against enemy in golden age. But overall, the game was great fun mainly because of the map setting. I think I should have taken America too. The game would have ended long ago if I hadn't gone for peace strategy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  9. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

CV - Turn 256

Strategy: Tried a peaceful approach this time, without declaring war. Settled for relic and Kumasi culture kick after discovering both Kumasi and Yerevan and being lucky enough the get a relic from a tribal village. Did not work very well, got some declarations against me (Victoria, Wilhelmina, Pedro, Victoria again). Had to free Kumasi after Wilhelmina took it and declared war on me. Underestimated Teddy. He somehow managed to produce a lot of local tourists with only two theatre squares and without any great works at all.

First half of the game war really exciting, second half rather boring. Guess next time I'll go for the violent approach again.

Attached Files:

10. Victoria

If I remember Teddy took Oral tradition and culturvated his lands.

11. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Culture Victory - Turn 172

Yes :yup:! Very much! And thanks for one more game ;)!

Attached Files:

12. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

Thanks Victoria, that was probably the reason. I guess you cannot do anything about that, besides trying to build up foreign tourists faster and declaring war / pillaging?

13. Victoria

Yes you can, Do what @pahakuutti and I did which is wait until your culture is higher than the second to highest competition, then destroy the leader. You do loose all tourism you got against them also but normally their domestic tourism is significantly higher than anyone else so it is worth doing.

It is helpful with a CV to look at pantheons and see what people have, For example if America takes oral tradition early that means they will have lots of culture lands. Equally seeing Gorgo or Pericles with Oral tradition and you know you are going to have to kill them, amd as that’s the case do not bother with trade routes/open borders to them as you will loose all that tourism at the end anyway

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  14. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

I was hoping for a more peaceful solution, but I guess war is the only way to a sub 150 turn victory.

15. Victoria

Nope, the Chinese can do it sub 100 peaceful but it does rely on good chopping, micro management and push. Apparently they will be trying this one and it’s certainly possible.
    Certainly less that 150 peaceful one would imagine.

16. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

T127 CV

I went for low science and archaeologist spam this game.
    Not sure if it faster to just go high science and spam the UI everywhere.

Early on, I built a small horsemen army and headed west for the obvious culture runaways: London, America
    But in retrospect, maybe I should have played it more like a DV and built two armies to curtail all civs since they all ended up generating quite a lot of culture.

The Mapuche's ability to get +10CS against civilizations in GA is quite powerful, but also quite random (as in which civilization in going to go into a GA and in which era)
    Classical Golden Ages: Aztec, America, Brazil (and me)
    Medieval Golden Ages: none (except me)

I also got an easy emergency against Wilhelmina to liberate Kumasi, which provided me enough gold to rush buy my first three amphitheaters.
    To close the game, I went Heavy Chariots into Knights against Brazil and upgraded my Horsemen to Cavalry against the Cree.

Things I learned while playing this game:
    Lots of cities from the Mapuche seem to contain "Mapu" in their name
    If you conquer cities from England and hard build archaeological museums in them yourself, you still get access to the British Museum with 6 slots (not sure if it is intended or not). However, you do not get the "auto-theme" bonus and it makes it more difficult to theme a 6-slot museum than a 3-slot one. But in the end, you still get two archaeological museums for the price of one.

Post patch observations:
    The AI still seems to send missionaries around without actually using them to convert cities
    The AI still seems to have problems using their Great People and have them 'wandering' about (or maybe they are just using them as scouts?)
    The AI seems better at upgrading their units
    Goddess of Harvest-Magnus-Monumentality Combo is still miles ahead of any other options in pretty much every situation

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  17. Copper_47

Copper_47 Chieftain

T107 CV

Settled 8, capture 0.

Research: printing. Policies: civil engineering and natural history.

No.

Army: 3 archers, 1 swordsman, many warriors and slingers. Navy: many galleys for overflow.

No.

Great writer.

Yes. Open borders can increase the number of tourists.

Yes, Babylon is a realllllly helpful CS in CV, it gave me a lot of science so I can research printing faster.

Salted fish CV. Although it was weakened in spring update, it was still the most useful and fastest strategy for me.

Golden till end.

I played it peaceful, so no.

Teddy increased his domestic tourists of 5 in 99 or 100T but I don’t know why :(

Nothing new.

Maybe yes, but I think I can play it faster.

Attached Files:

Victoria, Falabello and Boyan_Sun like this.
  18. Victoria

Nice win!.... you said increased his domestic tourists of 5 but you probably mean by 5?
    Normally culture jumps are down to multiple inspirations in the same turn. You can test this by looking at domestic tourists just before and after a feudalism inspiration.
    A good simple example is getting a city to 15 pop will give you 5 domestic tourists.
    Earning a great merchant as your third GP will give you over 6 domestic tourists.
    If you still have the game logs and they were in English I could probably find out why, normally just look at the civic log.
    I have started updating the tourism guide for R&F and will include a section on culture jumps. If teddy had rough riders he would have to kill10 muskets in a turn to get 5 domestic tourists so unlikely in so many ways.
    Another way is there is good chance of getting 2 civic boosts from a goody hut in a turn.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Boyan_Sun likes this.
  19. Copper_47

Copper_47 Chieftain

Thanks for answering my question! I found it out in the civic log, it was because of 2 boosts, military training and civil engineering.
    BTW, looking forward to your tourism guide:)

20. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.