1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM41 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jun 14, 2018.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM41 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

Well, that was quick. I surrender.
    Spoiler :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 6_14_2018 9_28_47 PM.png

3. leif erikson

Sorry to see that happen. The AI is unpredictable as I tested it twice and both times, China was peaceful towards me. :crazyeye:

edit - while I prepared to get them, of course. :mischief:

4. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

No problem at all. On deity level especially, it's been known to happen :lol:.

I had the same idea. I think I attracted their ire with the forward settle near Jiaodong.

5. leif erikson

6. cas

cas Chieftain

T92 - good place to stop since I just eliminated China.
    22spt/22.8cpt/18.4fpt/14.1gpt

Settled in place. 2nd city around the banana/deer/pig to the NNE.
    AH->mining->archery/BW. No iron in vicinity SUCKS. On to HBR for Varu. Normal policies (discipline->agoge, god king->urban planning).
    scout-> worker->slingerx4 -> buy settler -> warriorx2->worker
    my warrior went west/south so it took some time to meet China. Scout met Japan and Mongol along with some CS. China was positioning for war with Zanzibar when I declared around T45-50
    I did not prioritize districts. First one was gov center in 2nd city to help with loyalty in China captured cities. I captured quite a few districts from China. Currently building a Campus in capital.
    I only went for a late ToA in second city. Seems worth it. I prioritized units instead.
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    8 cities. 3 settled (1 captured settler), 5 Chinese captured. I'll have 4 more cities by T100 (monumentality GA + Goddess of Harvest)
    only 1 trade route right now. 2nd coming online in 4 turns. Had to go internal route once I went to war with China (suz of Jerusalem).
    Normal policies (discipline->agoge, god king->urban planning). I'm in Oligarchy. Will eventually move to Monarchy/Theocracy.
    Magnus-Amani(zanzibar)-Pingala-magnus2. Will get Liang next. Should have got Liang before Pingala. I used the governors in the war with China to avert loyalty rebellions.
    Barely made classical normal age (science one). Medieval Golden Age (monumentality for builders/settlers)
    Met Jerusalem, Stockholm, Zanzibar, Preslav, Kandy. Japan conquered Kabul. Mongol conquered Valetta. I needed lux, so I went for suzerain of Zanzibar. Will be suzerain of Kandy next turn to fill in some map.
    Surprisingly tame. I eliminated a 3-4 camps, but not quickly. No hoards of horsemen thank goodness.
    - Any surprises?
    No iron in the vicinity, but Varu are really strong so it's ok.
    war with China took 40+ turns. :eek: I must have killed 15+ archers, 5 warriors, and 3-4 chariots

Next actions: found 2nd city within 10 tiles of Japan so I can declare war of expansion. Great General coming in 5-10 turns. I'll try to take Japan with mostly Varu and some archers while I research towards Machinery/Xbows. Hope he doesn't get pikes soon. I'm still behind on science.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 1:33 PM
  7. Chalcedon

Chalcedon Chieftain

T100

Settled the capital on the cattle for the early yield, the second one with a stolen chinese settler N/E between the pigs and the river, quickly followed by a third one in the east, between the wine and the small lake, just to grab the land from further chinese settlement and the casus belli option later on.

AH->Archery->Mining->Horseback Riding->Bronze
    Made the Mining detour for chops, bronze for more chops and to see wether there´s iron around. Actually there is. somewhere in the snow north of Jerusalem. :(
    For policies, I decided not to go for religion, which I would have liked, so I went Urban Planning/Discipline, struggled with the Craftmanship boost, didn´t find the three CSs for Political Philosophy... after that for military training into mercenaries.

3x Slinger (found a Scout in a goody hut), Settler, Builder, Archer

Found China early and took their Settler :D, but had to accept peace for just +4gpt as Quin kept throwing in Warrior waves, which my 3 Archers and the Warrior struggled to kill. Barbarians from the West and South made it an easy decision, as I bought some time as well to build up an infrastructure and use the Casus Belli later on.
    Japan remained neutral until I took Zanzibar before he could (he was already attacking), Mongolia is my buddy all game long, not caring about all the Varus and warning me about his 2nd agenda.

When peacing out Quin, I built 3 encampments to ensure an early GG, after that 2 CommHubs, GovPlaza and 2 Campi.

No, just about to finish a late Terracotta Army in China´s 2nd City, as I did not knew what else to build :lol:. As I started the war on Japan t100, some free promotions whilst fighting seem nice.

10. Built 5 (incl cap/stolen settler/1 late for the Casus Belli against Japan), Zanzibar, 4 from China.

Very quickly. Early on I traded with Zanzibar for a nice future road, after that, internally only, with 5 trade routes right now.

Most useful were Discipline and Ilkum early on, after that Maneouvre and Conscription, with a brief ProfArmy card for 4 Xbow upgrades. Used Oligarchy as well as I thought it (and the legacy card) would work on Varus:blush:

Magnus (chops), Liang (charges), Pingala (+ science buildings + great people points).

Normal Age (Monumentality, as I got a lot of Heurekas before), Golden Age (Free Inquiry, as I had a some CommHubs and I missed on God of Harvest and were low on Faith).

Zanzibar (conquered), Kumasi (souzed to annoy Hojo). At war with 3 (?) CSs which are on Japan´s side, Mongolia has taken some out.

Early on really annoying, now I think they vanished to another coast or something. But I fear some new Invasion from the West/South West, as I am not intending to settle there soonish.

- Any surprises?
    China building lots of Spearmen/units in general, plus they got the 1st GG, Varus with Arthashastra are reaaaally strong, someone making 17GS pts (Korea? Scotland?), few few CSs nearby.

Attached Files: