6otM43 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM43 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
- Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
- What was your most useful unit?
- Was diplomacy useful? How?
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you discover any new exploits? Did you find old ones fixed?
- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

T240 SV @1355pts (not competing)

This game was really fun - thanks a lot for hosting it!
I decided for a mostly peaceful "Immortal and chill" "strategy", as I was watching the football finals this evening^^

17 total. Settled 13, took one each from japan/Kandy, one free city (bristol), one via loyalty (rotterdam). Liberated Zanzibar twice, Babylon once, both from Norway.

Naval, builder and science stuff.

Nah, except for Kandy. No war mongering here.

I was low on military all game. After 100 turns, I think I had one Slinger and 2 Galleys. After that, I went Naval to stop viking aggression in the northern hemisphere, having my galleys into caravels into ironclads soon, as well as some (6?) quadriremes into frigates and 3 privateers into submarines. Bought some field cannons and tanks as well as biplanes later, but never came into action.

Haven´t had a single unit of ém, but I would have liked to use em. But main cause was liberating CSs, and they were coastal.

Militarily, the Frigates. Otherwise builders.

I like to play peacefully, but after my little midgame war against norway, people just wanted to be friends with me, no alliances for long long time. Japan disliked me all game, but I settled on their previous city spot as well as took Tokyo (?) as the city had three amenities otherwise not in my territory.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?

One word: Stockholm. Other than that, they were alright. Maintained souz over all 6 left CSs (Stockhom, Toronto, Babylon, Yerevan, Zanzibar) , last turn s.o. souzed Mohenjo from me, but wasn´t really caring for more than 6 envoys there.

Campi + lots of gold + CSs and a Navy to protect my lands, with some midgame naval war expansion. Tho I had 17 cities in the end, I tried to go for a "tall" strat. The +prod from Aussie´s spec came in really handy, but first time went Audience chamber as I was trying to go tall.

Renaissance (with the war), was a dark age, Industrial Heroic, all others golden.
After seeing that I wasn´t able to really reach a golden age in the renaissance, I decided to go dark in order to go heroic in Industrial.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?

During my dark age renaissance conquering I used Limitanei/Praetorium, but it really was an overkill, switched them ASAP.

I really was surprised of the barbarian destruction of that well developed japanese town, on which place I settled Townsville /screenshot) on, as well as of the HUGE armada norway was fielding on Immortal. The naval war for those coasts was really entertaining, but I had to build some more ships to counter them.
Never ever built as many offshore platforms as today before. ;D The same map/VC would also have been really fun with Indonesia, as there were too good spots for their kampaung.

Nope.
There might have occured a bug on the alliance system, as I wasn´t able to renew alliances sometimes with friendly civs, but it might have been my fault ;-)

Yes, a lots! Thanks for hosting!
Would like to see another CV going ;-)

(The save file is +1 turn after receiving SV, but as I am not competing, it doesn´t matter anyways) ;-)

Attachments

• final south.jpg
    final south.jpg
    674.7 KB · Views: 263
  • final mid.jpg
    final mid.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 184
  • final north.jpg
    final north.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 157
  • final gov.jpg
    final gov.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 223
  • final gold balance.jpg
    final gold balance.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 115
  • final science per turn.jpg
    final science per turn.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 6otM 43 +1turn.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 148
SV271, Score 1421

25 total. 9 Aussie, 1 German free city conversion, and 15 from Harold.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Wanted to have both culture and science for the International Space Station civics policy (+10% science for each suzerain status), so I built a bunch of theatre squares.
- Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history? Harold.
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? Heavy cav, a privateer and a galley.
- Did you use your UU? Was it useful? No.
- What was your most useful unit? Modern armor.
- Was diplomacy useful? How? Trading with the AI’s was lucrative.
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Yes and yes, Harold (see below).
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC? I diverted mid game and adopted a more warlike posture (see below).
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? Classical dark age that transitioned to a heroic, then 1 normal, and the rest golden.
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? Not allot of effect, just had to be quick (and with heavy cav that wasn’t overly challenging).
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? None.
- Did you discover any new exploits? Did you find old ones fixed? None,
- Did you enjoy the game? Yes. I watched a video by Civtrader6 on quick science victories in which he said he hated Harold’s algorhythm because he always seems to go out of his way to cause pointless trouble. The sentiment resonated with me, and I noticed that I felt much the same way.

The Narrative
The island plates geography and lack of available strategic resources has proven frustrating for my plans to quickly lever my Yosemite science and gold advantage to conquer my neighbors, adding their science and culture to our own.

I am at best an uninspired explorer and, so far as I could discern, the only horse pasture was off on a nearby island to the east. As for iron, I suppose I could conquer Stockholm (or perhaps not). So I just built campus+theatre districts in what land I had available to me, playing a by and large peaceable game. No one invaded me, and I simply couldn’t invade anyone as enough time had passed that my horseman units would be laughed off the field by even a wallless city garrison. There was the occasional hiccup, like the time I dropped an envoy in Kumasi and sent Amani only to have Harold take the city out. Shrug, oh well.

Then on turn T144, (or 660AD) I decided to alter my gameplan. This was the turn when Harold took out another city state I was cultivating, Babylon. I had dropped 4 envoys and had Amani stationed there when he eliminated it. I decided to h*** with the timeliness of any victory. I AM GOING TO NUKE THAT CRACKPOT BACK TO THE STONE AGE!!!

On the bright side I noticed that Amani grants me a copy of Stockholm’s strategic resource (iron) so I could build knights. Better late than never.

Some time passed and I realized that I can perhaps do some conventional warmongering and still finish with a what might be considered a reasonable time. I rushed steel, after finally reconnoitering the icy continent to the west, and found some oil. I bought a settler with cash, began construction of a knight corps and off I went. I’m hoping a couple of knight corps will be able to subdue the barbarians and I will be able to settle right on top of the oil. Then upgrade to tanks and set sail toward Harold.

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 7_15_2018 5_36_25 PM.png

Spoiler End Game Leader Roster :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 7_15_2018 5_53_54 PM_LI.jpg

Attachments

• JOHN CURTIN 271 1800 AD.Civ6Save
    3.4 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
SV235, Score 2419

Settled 7 on initial island, and captured Yerevan.

Later captured lots of cities from all other civs.

As it is island plates, I thought to go for cartography and square rigging.

I think Japan only, but took several cites from all AI.

Initially 2 caravels and 4 frigates, but I could not do much with them as Japan had already ironclads very early in the game. I had to take remote cities, until I got submarines.

- Might have been useful, but did not make single one.

- Submarines did the most work, and later battleships.

- Got nice amount of gold from peace deals.

- They were really useful. For sures Stockholm is good for science and GP points. Also liberating cities gave that massive +100% production on allcities, and also lots of envoys. Liberating Kumasi from Norway was especially powerful for culture.

- My plan was initially to build initial continent and start capturing more cities with frigates, but surprisingly AI already had ironclads, and I had to wait till submarines.

- First dark age, then heroic, then another dark age (which caused quite many revolts), then heroic and golden after that. Dark age on the middle of the game was not so bad, as I had like 10 trade routes and used isolationism (+2 food / + 2 prod) while having the +100 production from liberating cities.

- During mid-game, it was painful and had to waste policy cards many times to keep cities on my side.

- Seeing ironclads so early.

- I feel that +100% production boost when liberating cities is super good.

- It was good combination of peaceful building and naval warfare.

Attachments

• gotm43_space_win_t235_1620ad.png
    gotm43_space_win_t235_1620ad.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 285
  • gotm43_space_t235_1620AD.Civ6Save
    2.8 MB · Views: 90
SV285

I settled 7 and captured 1 japanese. Liberated 2 City States and also Stavanger for Norway.

I was too unfocused

Nope

I built some crossbowmen, but they got slaughtered by Samurais. My fleet of some iron clads and frigates/battleships fared much better.

Not the unique unit, but the aussie abilities were really powerful. Was getting a lot of extra science, faith, culture and gold. The culture bombs were nice and the outbacks also a good alternative to farms and the +3 housing is really helpful in the beginning. For the end game I was liberating cities for the +100% production.

Frigate/Battleship

I got an alliance going with Scotland and managed to get to level 2. With the bonuses from trade routes I think I got a lot of extra resources.

Stockholm was nice and so was Yerevan so I could pick Debater on some of my Apostles.

No real strategy. Was just rolling with the game.

I had one Dark Age, where I took the policy that gives +2 food/ +2 production, which I think is very good. Got a Heroic Age after that and then a lot of Golden Ages.

I did not spread, so no effect.

I was amazed how far Scotland and Korea was in Science and for a long time I thought I would loose. But I had 3 solid cities that was giving a really good output and my spies were really busy and effective. Japan was also really pumping units out and giving me a hard time.

Nope. But just sailing around and liberating cities for +100% production felt a little bit like an exploit.

Very much. Was nice and challenging.

Attachments

• 6otM43 WIN 285.Civ6Save
    3.5 MB · Views: 169
Retired (Loss) T255 ~1100 points

I settled 5 cities and didn't capture any

After meeting the Faith C-S in the SE corner of our island, I decided to try to slingshot into science by way of religion - so I tucked a holy district into Yosemite and took the Great Person points pantheon, then Jesuits and the other Science belief.
I should have focused more on ships and straight into science.

No

My above strategy did not work and I was building Frigates while Scotland had fleets of submarines.

I retired around turn 250, before I had researched the tech for the UU.

None, I lost.

I thought it was, I suz-ed both C-S on the island and no one declared war on me the whole game.

Through my religion->science strategy I used faith to buy universities and research labs, but it wasn't enough. I had only started building the spaceport when Korea launched their first satellite. I was too far behind so I retired.

I missed the first three golden ages by one or two points each time. Then I got a Dark age where I selected the Navy production card and tried to attack Scotland, but their submarine fleets were too much for my frigates and ironsides.

I didn't settle enough cities early on...having only 5 for the majority of the game. I didn't manage my governors well and wasted Magnus' promotions.

I did. Even though I lost I expected it. I have played years of Civ IV & V, but this was only my fourth game of VI. My previous games were Prince (loss then win) and a win on King. Both wins were with Cree. So the jump to Immortal was more than my meager skills could deal with. But it was a good learning experience and I look forward to playing with Australia again. I didn't get to use their Outbacks at all, but I did rely on their Charming land bonuses which are very powerful and also allowed more housing on all my cities (all coastal).

Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month. Keep reading and these guys will have you playing Immortal in no time.

Best of luck in future games. :thumbsup:

T320 - SV - 745 pts

5 Cities, settled 4 and took Yerevan early on.

Science and production.

Just poor old Yerevan.

I only build two slingers and one warrior army wise. A couple of naval units for exploration. In the penultimate turn I got partisans and bought two full stacks of heavy tanks just in case...

No, just stood there guarding my capital.

Spies - without them I would be toast. Used them to disable spaceports like crazy.

Yes - I tried to stay peaceful with everybody, using delegations and embassies. Friended and allied Scotland early on and kept it through the game bar a couple of turns when he was a bit angry with me for spying. :)

Very helpful, I had Stockholm through the game, and eventually two - three others suz. I had no issues with the other civ's strangely enough.

At first I thought about steamrolling the closest neighbor, but quickly realized it would be too costly. I focused on getting my cities strong in hammers and science, while keeping my defense strong. Chased spies because I knew they were my only chance playing like this (I usually play wide). Decided early on to try and win my first Immortal game with no chopping - I chopped maybe 5 tiles.

Went through the entire game solely on Normal Ages. I've never had this happen to me, I usually stay in Golden a lot. I guess it's with inexperience in tall and on this level, I usually play King. No direct strategy with ages - I didn't see the benefits of throwing myself into a Dark to receive a Heroic, but that might have been better, who knows.

None whatsoever, I was alone on my little island.

No not really, I tried to keep everybody happy. :)

Well the AI do repair their spaceports these days. :)

Oh yea! I'm very happy to win my first Immortal! The game was very different from what I usually play, with a higher difficulty of course. Learned a lot from this one too. Thanks for setting it up!

Attachments

• AutoSave_0320.Civ6Save
    4 MB · Views: 152
  • 2nd to last.jpg
    2nd to last.jpg
    839.4 KB · Views: 94
  • close sv.jpg
    close sv.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 96
  • victory.jpg
    victory.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 139
T284 SV. Quite a bad result even for a peaceful strategy, partially because I forgot to run science projects for almost the whole game. I settled my continent quite fully and stayed suzerained over Stockholm the whole game. Quite early on I decided to capture Jerevan, though I realized early on that due to its position it would be challenging to capture with just archers and warriors. So it took about 50 turns to capture it, and mainly with just those units. I had one swordsman as one iron spawned under my city somewhere. I wanted to use crossbows and researched machinery, but I did not realize that I will not have enough cash for upgrades.

All in all quite an uneventful game, as AI did not threaten me at all. Japan and Scotland were allied with me most of the late game and I utilized some spies as well. As for Australia's unique abilities and units/buildings they were quite useless notwithstanding the coastal settling bonus. Settled my capital on the eastern coast as well.

Hmm it seems I have been a member of Civfanatics for more than 10 years now :)

Attachments

• JOHN CURTIN 284 1826 AD.Civ6Save
    3.6 MB · Views: 181
SV300

I settled 6, 0 captured.

Science-based stuff. And Rocketry, obviously.

Nope.

3 Slingers into Archers + 1 Spearman and the starting Warrior for basic defense. 2 Galleys and 1 Quadrireme. Started building some Cats because I was considering a war, but then I abandoned the idea and played the entire game peacefully (until Harald invaded some 10 turns before my victory).

I had 1 Digger, didn't see much action.

Do workers count? :D

Sure, sold many luxuries to AI. Also had a long-lasting Research Alliance with Japan.

Stockholm was mine throughout the game. Also suz'd Brussels with the extra envoys.

Campi everywhere asap. I also wanted to get Great Zimbabwe and Big Ben and then buy great scientists with gold, but AI beat me to both wonders by a few turns. Probably should have waged wars and thus get more science, but I really didn't feel like micromanaging many units.
Also, counterspying my Spaceports. Last time I forgot about that and it ended up costing me many turns. This time I caught 3 enemy spies trying to sabotage me.

2 Golden, 1 Dark. No strategy. Honestly, this entire feature feels underdeveloped and somewhat redundant, which is disappointing, considering it was the main bullet point of the R&F expansion.

No effect.

Scotland was close behind science-wise. Also didn't expect Harald's DoW right when I was finishing habitation modules.

Nope.

Took another break from Civ 6, played some Civ 4 and Beyond Earth. Came back and thoroughly enjoyed this GotM. Thanks for the game!

Attachments

• PontifexMax_6otm43.Civ6Save
    3.7 MB · Views: 124
SV153

45ish

1. religion
2. maximize science output
3. culture
4. gold

Germany and Korea. Also fought against Japan and England but left them alive.

1. Army: overflow barbs + slingers/archers. They conquered Yerevan. I under estimated the military might of Yerevan, 2-3 kia.
  2. Army: forward settled Japan and chopped 4-5 charriots to be upgraded into knights + ram. Luckily, Japan denounced and dow'd before I had to (100% prod boni). Allowed Hojo to have one city in return of a gold. Then my knights headed to Germany and later on to Korea.
  3. Army: overflow galleys + quadriremes later to be upgraded into bigger and better ones. 2xbattleships + ironclad were enough against England.
No, didn't find any reason to.

The battering ram.

Nope.

- Were City-States helpful?
Kilwa + 3 scientific city states:crazyeye:

When the world entered into classical era it was quite obvious that nothing will stop us for reaching the moon and beyond. We had
-harvesting pantheon
-religion with jesuit edu + new cities start with religion in place
-golden age + monumentaly

So after that it was like chop, settle, chop...do some warmongering...chop,chop...

Oh, I got carried away with all that chopping. When the time was to chop the royal society, I founded out that there is no trees left in the gov plaza city:lol:

Yes, thanks for the game.

Attachments

• JOHN CURTIN 153 840 AD sv.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 151
SV275, score 1013

10 settled, 0 captured

As Yosemite was next door, picked up a religion, then went into general direction of science, without much planning, as usual.

Nope, did not war once.

My army was almost nonexistent - a warrior and three slingers, for immediate barb control, a few galleys and quadriremes.

Never had one, forgot to build one even for era score purposes.

Erm, builder?

Yes, befriended Hojo, Bruce and Freddy, then allied with Hojo (science) and Bruce (economic). Also kept friendship with Freddy until very end, when he turned sour, so I replaced him with Harald as a friend.

Yes, Stockholm and Babylon for science, Brussels and Toronto for production, Yerevan for religion. At one point my dear ally Bruce declared on Toronto, so I had to send a few tanks plus most of the navy to protect my interests there. I had one very good IZ in Canberra which, with Toronto's help, was covering all the mainland cities.

Bad luck with Great scientists meant I had to rely on Royal Society.

Two Golden (Medieval and Industrial) and finished in a Dark Atomic. Got the "Dark Horse" achievement :)

No effect.

I was about to complete the last Mars rocket - about three turns left. I had double protective spy coverage on my spaceport - one even with counterspy promotion in the spaceport itself, another unpromoted spy in the adjacent Campus. And yet some foreign agent, I even do not know from which country, managed to blow up my spaceport and successfully escape. +5 turns.

No.

Yes, thanks for the game!

Attachments

• 6otM43_w_JOHN CURTIN 275 1808 AD.Civ6Save
    3.4 MB · Views: 80
I was about to complete the last Mars rocket - about three turns left. I had double protective spy coverage on my spaceport - one even with counterspy promotion in the spaceport itself, another unpromoted spy in the adjacent Campus. And yet some foreign agent, I even do not know from which country, managed to blow up my spaceport and successfully escape. +5 turns.
Unbelievable. Terrible luck. :thumbsdown:

Unbelievable. Terrible luck. :thumbsdown:
It definitely had a whiff of the good ol' times when in IV you lost two 96% fights in a row, or your sniper missed that crucial shot at 98% in XCom. However, at this turn mark, who cares... Had it happened some 100 turns earlier instead, there might've been a laptop flying out of the window, though... :)

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom