1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM46 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Sep 2, 2018.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 46 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.
    - How many cities did you settle or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you bother with religion?
    - Who did you attack first and in what order did you go after your opponents?
    - Were City-States helpful?
    - How did the new features help you?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
    Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. JoZilla

JoZilla Chieftain

Domination Victory T111 (125BC), 611 pts

Settled only 3 cities. Captured a lot.

Initially rushed to Archery. Then horseback riding but I did not see horses close. Then targeted Stirrups for knights.
    In policies wanted to get 1 gold maintenance because I had so many archers early. Then to Oligarchy as fast as possible.

- I got some faith from a Hut and found Religious citys state. I was able to get God of the Forge without using God King- card. Instead I had Urban planning all the time.

I build 6 slingers early along with 2 warriors. Upgraded slingers to archers. Half went to Greece and half towards Arabia. Arabian army turned west for Spain, and Greece army continued east to get Sumeria, then India, France and Russia. In the end bought 3 knights in Sparta and captured China and Eqypt.

2 militaristic gave nice +4 production to units early. Later focused on commercial city states and was able to get a lot of money from them.

- How did the new features help you?
    - I think all Rise and Fall features didn't really affect so much in this game.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Lost my precious warrior in my battle agains Greece, which delayed capturing of Sparta, and caused 1 nasty rebellion and delayed my eastern operation a little.

- Nice and fast game, but obviously I like harder games more.

Attached Files:

3. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

DV T84

Opened with 2 scouts. I got a lot of Tribal Villages from them.
    It was one of the rare occasions were the Goddess of the Harvest pantheon was not the undisputed best pantheon. I took God of the Forge for a change.
    Pitati Archers then Horsemen.
    I got a barbarian settler wandering near Egypt with a scout.
    I wiped out all civilizations except Russia.
    It could have been an interesting map on Deity.

Attached Files:

4. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

I agree with DanQuayle; God of the Forge would have been speedier than Goddess of the Harvest. Too bad I chose the wrong pantheon.

I botched it right out of the gate from greed. Arabia was building Hanging Gardens so I let them live til I thought they had reached the tipping point where they would keep working on the Wonder to completion even during a war. Nope! They had a garrisoned Warrior and then popped an Archer, teamed up on my only melee unit able to capture cities nearby and killed him. The time to get another Warrior to the battle extended my war with them long enough to actually Loyalty flip my Horse cities to Free. I also had a power outage right before I was about to strike, so divine intervention maybe?

Then I optimistically thought my Spain army could swim to Egypt. Nope! Not before Cartography. Gave them time to get Walls up in their capital.

Took forever to find France then wiped them out in a 4 Turn war. The only difficult Civ was India, because Mohenjo-Daro fought with them and actually had a substantial army.

I suzerained Kandy real early so I would have loved more room to store Relics.

Attached Files:

5. Monthar

Monthar Chieftain

Turn 154 Domination Victory, score 1065.
    I took God of the Forge, but I screwed up by not going for lots of horses early.

Attached Files:

6. tarafran

tarafran Chieftain

DV 99
    I took Harvest Goddess ,went with archers and finished with knights. Skipped the horses .

Attached Files:

7. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Domination Victory - Turn 120 - Score: 841

I wanted Goddess of the Harvest pantheon , but some AI got it before :twitch:... So, I took God of the Forge!
    Archers, some Horsemen and lots of Knights!

Yep. As Always. #1 game bigger than Standard map.
    Thanks leif. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

8. DougBSA

DougBSA Chieftain

T188, score 1272 Charles De Gaull.
    I am more of a beginner so I certainly haven't mastered many of the tricks that I see the better posters likely using to speed to victory. By Turn 94 I had conquered Cairo, Sparta and Uruk and had just found Spain and China. got a bit bogged down after that due to distances. Tried using trade routes to build roads in advance of armies but they really were moving along quickly. I did settle 2 cities north of my capital to eventually get some Frigates which helped with Russia at end of game. IN hindsight my army was a bit too big because I didn't realize the tech advantage I gained from all my conquering made my units very powerful on a relative basis. I also should have built more projects in the cities conquered to generate more cash to buy units closer to the action on the far east coast where France, Russia and eqypt were hiding.

Fun game. thanks for designing.

Attached Files:

9. RedTopJay

RedTopJay Chieftain

The GOTM46 crashed. Can I resume the game? Civ6 crashes almost every turn when I get to large.

10. leif erikson

Yes. You should have your autosaves set to 1-turn. Reload the last save and try to replay using the same moves you had made and then you can continue on. Best of luck.

11. MisterIceberg

MisterIceberg Chieftain

Domination Victory - Turn 120
    I probably oversized a little bit my armies, but I did not expect that cities would be that undefended and that knights would be far enough to crush everything. Lost some turns to find the relevant pathway to Russia, hopefully my army was sooo big that I could split it and send it it all directions, and hopefully the fastest part of it was enough to reach St Petersbourg and dominate it.

That was a fun comeback to civilization 6 :)

Attached Files:

12. leif erikson

13. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

T179 DV. Biggest surprise was that despite of me being a clear science leader the whole game, Greece got crossbows 10+ turns before me and together with her hilly and mountainous ground hindered my progress severely. Also, I read it was a Large map, but still 3 more civs popping up at the time I thought I have about 10 turns left surprised me quite a bit.

I read above that somebody had 2 early armies of 3 archers + 1 warrior each. I am too cautious for something like that, what if the AI has the same amount of units? You can take them out, but it will take lots of turns to heal up etc., but I guess it works with low difficulty.

Attached Files:

14. arthur486

arthur486 Chieftain

DV @ turn 134.

Settled 3 cities, captured the rest.

Archery, Heavy Chariots, Knights, Musketmen

Nope.

Arabia, Greece, Spain, Sumeria, India, China, France, Russia, Egypt

Yes. The initial militaristic city states gave me +4 production from the start, super useful. They lived until the end of the game.

Of course, as usual. Thank you!

15. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Chieftain

Dom Victory t81 score 464

started with scout, scout, slinger x4. goody huts generated two more scouts before turn 20 I think, so I had four scouts going early. AIs were easy to find.

settled just two: the capital. in place. and one north on the coast near the sheep to get the boost for HBR. captured all the rest. except I captured a couple of settlers near the end, and settled those just be able to purchase horsemen there, but didn't really need them.

archers, then horsemen

just went for early pantheon to get God o Forge.

Army #1 went east to take out Sparta (then continued to Uruk, then forked to a) India/France, b) Toronto-> Russia/Egypt
    Army #2 went Arabia, then forked to a) China, b) Spain)
    Stockholm was key (for the horses!). got Suz of Stockholm at t48, and HBR at t49.

Fun game, thanks Leif!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 9:25 AM
  16. leif erikson

17. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Chieftain

oops, sorry about that. I was just going by the creator of this thread. Thanks Knowtalent!

18. TomeTraveler

TomeTraveler Chieftain

Domination Victory Turn 147 Score 1168

Two cities initially settled, a third quite a bit later to grab horses, plus a fourth with a captured settler just after I'd built the settler for the horses. Another captured settler around turn 135 turned into a fifth founded city but was a non-factor. Researched archery and mobile units for my initial army plus commercial hubs and industrial zones to build and pay for it, feudalism to feed it, mercenaries for upgrades, divine right. Pretty much ignored navies until late.

By the end of the game I held 31 cities, and as I razed none I guess that means I captured 26.

Religion was an afterthought, I picked one up because I had nothing better to spend a golden age on than Exodus of the Evangelists, but it was not really a factor.

Finished off Arabia by turn 65, went to war with Greece from 75-83, Sumeria 94-111, Spain 102-108, and China 113-118. All of these, as well as Egypt (132-139) were completely eradicated. I left India (134-142 Capture of Delhi) one city because it would have meant back-stepping from the route to Paris. Declared war on Russia on turn 144 and France on 146, and both capitals fell on 147.

The city-states were amazingly helpful as I was first to contact over half of them (there were 15 city-states, by the way, not the 14 listed in the Announcement post).

Biggest surprise would have to be how passive the AI was, not a single city-state was conquered, they barely expanded, and it wasn't even till attacking Egypt that I had to deal with a walled city. I was also surprised at how much era score I achieved during the classical age, I needed 79 for a golden age and ended up with 180. Domination must be good that way!

This was a fun game because it was built on two factors that are rare for me, Pangaea and Domination.

Attached Files:

19. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Domination VC, t201, 1400AD, 1113pts

I was very happy to be at the 200 turn range. I got a quite slow start, but then it snowballed and I wiped the last 4 out in a span of like 5 turns. Lots of fun! Too bad the large map made my computer painfully slow at the end. Loses some of the fun.

Attached Files:

20. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Chieftain

I know what you mean.
    My Dell home desktop computer will be eight years today!
    It was good for Civ4, but it's never been a great machine (always crashing - I think because of RAM problems). Maybe it's time for an upgrade? :)

kcd_swede likes this.