1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM47 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Sep 14, 2018.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM47 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - Did you go for a Great Prophet? Were you first, second, third...?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Chalcedon

Chalcedon Chieftain

No opening actions yet reported? :confused:
    I´ll try to resemble what I experienced pre t100...

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?

In place, 2nd south, next to the elephants w/o fresh water due to Chinese loyalty issues, quickly followed by a no. 3 westwards next to the river.

- Did you go for a Great Prophet? Were you first, second, third...?

In this setting?! Sure, I think i got the 3rd, after Chinese Stonehenge and Russia.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

Research: AH for pastures, Astro for Religion, Bronze/Irrigation for chops, CommHubs.
    Policies: Nothing special , headed for the Prasats.

- What was your build order?

I think it was Scout 2x, Settler 2x, Holy Site (and a goody hut worker in between), Shrine, Prayers 2x (?).

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?

Pretty quick, Chandragupta´s view at first made me freeze in terror for a moment, but he remained mainly friendly except for trying to snatch my capital with a small force, after that he became a friend. Seondeok did likewise and told me all game that I were clawing on the dirt, but actually it was Quin who really scared me of, when he was trying to tear down any CS in sight. Ninjaed Toronto last second tho, not to get surrounded by China. He dow´ed me for that, but I got a nice (1600?) lumpsum for defending succesfully in the CS emergency, and took two of his border cities. But my force was (actually is) really small, so I agreed on peace after facing 3-4 of his crouching tigers. No fun time for swordsmen here. Seondeok´s my girl, as I am completely landlocked, not only avoiding the small, but all shores :thumbsup:

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

Holy Sites for the Prophet, Prasats and Culture Bombs, followed by CommHubs for trade routes and cash, then Theatre Squares.

- Did you try to build any Wonders?

Pyramids in the Cap as I got ´em cheap and they gave me that Drama boost just in time. Missed on Petra in the city west of the cap, but was late and expected it.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Early on, yes, definetly. If trying for a peaceful CV, early expansion is key imho. Built 7 incl cap, 1 from Toronto, 2 from China. Initially planned on two more, but they would be in Chandragupta´s direction, don´t need their "new" amenities, and I think I´m fine with 10.

- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?

first 3-4 relatively quickly. In the beginning, internally and with CSs (quests + kumasi bonus), now I am redirecting them to my neighbours, but it´s kinda hard to reach the other "half of pangaea".

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

Survey was nice, as there were no barbs really to bother, and managed to skip God King due to an early Relic.

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?

Magnus (chops), Amani (golden age bouns points from CSs being their first souz), Liang (builder charges), Pingala (+100% GPPs).

- Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?

All golden.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

Mainly Kumasi and La Venta for faith / culture, but carthage and valletta were nice in the beginning for the +unit prod.

- How were the Barbarians?

Scouts being hit from all directions and some gold/era score otherwise. Nothing else.

- Any surprises?

Some, yes!
    - being completely landlocked
    - lack of mediocre Natural wonders in reach
    - the map in general
    - good neighbour Chandra being friendly most of the time
    - China going nuts in early warfare against CSs like it would be on deity.
    - no one, like really NO ONE wants to kill my Prasat missionaries, Indonesia, Japan and Russia act like they just don´t exist. China managed to kill their own apostle on their Holy land, by hitting 3-4 of my missionaries one time each, instead of killing just one and then repair. Well, at least he tried, and is my safest bet it seems to get at least some early tourism going.

Any critique welcome!
    I´d love to read about your decisions on the first 100turns as well, guys!
    Might give this a second shot with a more warmongering appeal....

Attached Files:

3. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

Here's another...:undecide:
    Spoiler :
    Here'sAnother.jpg

Perhaps I should have sent him a delegation or what-not.

4. Chalcedon

Chalcedon Chieftain

Yeah, I wasn´t sending out delegations neither... not necessary on Emperor imho.
    I fend him up with a Warrior, a Scout and two Slingers...turning into Archers as Korea joined in.

5. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

isn't this an immortal level game?

6. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff