1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otm48 Opening Actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 48 Opening Actions thread.​
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
    - Where did you settle your cities?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - How was the lack of Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Chalcedon

Chalcedon Chieftain

Nice little Island Plates you have here, Knowtalent! :thumbsup:

- Where did you settle your cities?

Cap 1NE, 2nd city north, next to the river, 3rd (stolen German settler) close to Piopathingy.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

Pottery -> Astro -> Irrigation -> AH -> Archery / Stepwells, HSs, Plantations, Archers for war with Freddy.
    Nothing special with policies, rushed for GovPlaza and Ancestor Hall for city spam/abusing Goddess of Harvest even more.

- What was your build order?

Warrior, Settler, Builder, HS, 4xSlingers.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

3 fast HSs, CommHubs, Theatre Squares. Have to build some more Campi soonish.

- How did you place your districts?

Nothing special/adjacencies. Sometimes leaving room for a stepwell next to HS.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Pretty much, with Frederick absorbed, there´s room for city spam. Ten cities so far, incl Cap and two Germans.

Agoge into Conscription. +2 great Scientist pts for Hypatia. DiploLeague for lots of envoys.

Plenty. :-D

- Were your neighbors peaceful?

It´s a friendly world. Germany never existed. Cough.

- How was the lack of Barbarians?

It´s waaay easier if you don´t have to care about flanks. But I hate CSs can trigger barb related quests when barbs are actually off.

- Any surprises?

The map. Really liking it, tho with goody huts exploring would be a little more rewarding.
    I was surprised that a fully surrounded German city placed a unit outside my unit ring, as it had a unit inside. Was that prob fixed also for human players?

Attached Files:

3. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

- Where did you settle your cities? First 2 near the wonder, then on the other continents for the amenities.
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Irrigation, Political Philosophy, then feudalism.
    - What was your build order? Builder, settler, slinger, buy slinger, settler, slinger, buy warrior, war with Germany.
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Theatre Squares.
    - How did you place your districts? For adjacency.
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? 10. Settled 6, captured 3, stole 1 settler from Harold. Should flip Cologne in the coming golden age. Should also acquire a few from Russia after the xbow upgrade in the north.
    Suz’ed Mojen-Daro and Babylon.
    - Were your neighbors peaceful? By and large.
    - How was the lack of Barbarians? Surprisingly pleasant. I think it is a net positive at lower levels, but hurts the human on immortal and higher.
    - Any surprises? The lack of neighbors.

Narrative: Found the wonder and immediately sent 2 settlers to capture the culture and gold. Concurently built a small strike force and annexed Aachen and Magdeburg early on while the garrisons were still 10. Chopped 2 or 3 +50% policy card/Magnus +50% settlers from Delhi to round out the area around the colloseum which I just finished. It is providing ample amenities as well as 16 culture per turn. The amenities should allow for a pain free war with Russia, who I’m thinking will become a drain on the great people if left to their own vices.
    Spoiler :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 10_3_2018 9_08_32 AM.png

Spoiler :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 10_3_2018 9_27_18 AM.png

Spoiler :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 10_3_2018 9_58_53 AM.png

Spoiler :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 10_3_2018 11_30_50 AM.png

Spoiler :
    Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 10_3_2018 11_31_14 AM.png

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  4. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

-How was the lack of Barbarians?

Spoiler Lautaro didn't read the announcement thread :

5. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

I see 3 possibilities:

1) He’s crazy.
    2) He must be using these imaginary barbarians as a talking point, and actually referring to something else.
    a) My best guess would be himself
    b) or one of India’s other neighbors.
    *As his Malon Raider units can pillage with the best of the barbarians, I’m leaning toward option a.
    3) Both

6. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Prince

You never killed any Barb camps so he's upset with you. There weren't any to kill, but that's entirely beside the point.

AI motivations are dumb.

7. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

There were Barbarians in my game... :mischief:
    They pillaged the undefended Delhi and nearly also my 2nd city at the natural wonder (without fresh water).
    I somehow recovered slowly and took Delhi back and later the other cities of the Barbarians (Germans).
    Well that didn't work out too well.