1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM51 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Nov 14, 2018.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM51 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Domination VC?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. Eyswein

Eyswein Chieftain

T152, 820AD, Domination Victory

- What was your strategy?
    Usually I focus to Knights to win on Deity when starting in the Ancient Era, so assumed I would need to do the same. Figured I could start with some Ngeo Mbeba with Battering Rams and then swap to Knights. Start with a couple Campuses for faster science and Commercial Hubs to support my military. I also wanted Goddess of the Harvest with Grand Master’s Chapel to faith buy military.

Since I focused on the above, to include researching currency first (and then not building Comm Hubs as money wasn’t an issue), I got off to a slower start than I now believe is necessary. For some reason starting in an advanced age makes Deity easier. With the OP UU, I believe a speed UU attack across the world would have been faster. I would also switch to Warlord’s Throne and God of the Forge if it was available.

- Cities & early build order?
    77-MBANZA KONGO
    (1SW on horses): 77-Warrior, 78-Builder(g), 79-Warrior, 82-Settler, 83-Monument, 84-Builder, 85-Settler, 86-GovPlaza, 91-Campus +4sc, …
    199-MBWILA (Mount Roraima +3 sc/fa): Builders (g) at every opportunity
    Created a total of 3 settler. Finished with 22 cities.

- What did you prioritize for research, policies, and governance cards?
    Research
    : 90-Currency, 96-IW, 100-HBRiding, 106-Construction, …
    Civics: 93-Pol Phil, 105-D&P, 107-G&R, 118-Def Tac, …
    Governance: Agoge/Colonization; Oligarchy w/ add Dip/Urb Plan; added in Oligarchy Legacy as soon as available, eventually Monarchy to make Grand Master’s Chapel

- Districts? 2 total - Gov Plaza and Campus
    - Governors? Magnus x2 in capital, Liang in Mbwila, Amani in CS (eventually Zanzibar)
    - Wonders? none
    -Diplomacy / Trade? Always open borders, sometimes delegation; trade as much as possible
    -Ages? 133- Golden Age, Monumentality

- Religion? Pantheon: 88-Goddess of the Harvest; Religion: N/A

- Barbarians? Not a big factor, annoying at best

- Military build / best unit? Warriors to start, then Ngeo Mbeba spam with a few Battering Rams, eventually Knights and even a Musketman; UU was insanely awesome, especially the second promotion for faster movement

- Neighbors/War/peace/dustbin?
    Met
    : 77-Zulu, 81-Scotland, 90-Sumeria, 97-America, 102-Germany, 116-Sparta, 129-Aztec
    Capital captured: 114-Scotland, 131-America, 139-Sumeria, 145-Germany, 149-Zulu, 151-Aztec, 152-Sparta (Scotland & America assimilated; Scotland due to emergency so they wouldn’t take peace; America due to their one remaining city revolting)

- Were City-States helpful?
    Yes, I focused Suz on the amount of luxuries they gave so I could sell the ones I had.

- Homer Simpson moments – Doh!
    Forgot that Agoge doesn’t provide a bonus to warriors when starting in this era. Still would have probably chopped the first one on T77 just to get faster exploration, but would have saved other chops for setters and then UU when it was available.

It was awesome as always, first time I’ve ever played an advanced start Deity and definitely one I recommend for those that don’t normally play at this level.

Attached Files:

3. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

T153 DV

Built only one settler. Captured ~20.

First UU then knights.

10 x warrior to be upgraded into UUs + 2 rams (2 armies: one to east, another to north)
    Later chariots to knights.

Very useful, this might have been faster without knights - with just UUs.

Ram, Ais walled their capitals almost instantly.

At early stage, yes. Got enough gold from trade deals to upgrade my first 5 warriors into UUs.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Marginally. Didn't find any militaristic city-states.

Not except pantheon. God of Forge.

By conquest:crazyeye:

One golden. No strategy on era bonuses, because didn't pick harvesting pantheon. Besides, the first era comes so late that there is like 20T of game left..

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    Just one annoyance, Athens flipped to free city while I was about to siege Gorgos and Montys capitals at same time.

Seems that on an advanced era start AI has no clue what to do.
    Barbarians gave tougher figh3 than any of the AIs.

Yes, thanks for the cool game setup.

Attached Files:

4. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

T150 DV

Swept the map with the UU only (around 40 at the end)
    Settled only the capital
    Took God of the Forge, Went straight to IW, First push with 7 upgraded warriors and 1 battering ram

Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
    I inadvertently eliminated Scotland. Robert had a fourth city up north and it seems he lost it to barbarians just before I took what ended up being his last city.
    This however immediately ended the emergency he had against me and I was able to collect the reward earlier.

Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?

Zanzibar was very helpful as usually for DV (it made it easy to get +6 loyalty from happiness)
    No militaristic CS hurt a bit

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    (1) Agoge didn't seem to work on warriors for some reason
    (2) On a classical era start, the AIs' starting army mainly consists of spearmen and archers which felt like paperweights against the UU
    (3) It took forever to change era, it didn't feel deity-like
    (4) Tenochtitlan had 66CS (with 4 districts and a pikeman fortified in it). It was also next to a mountain and made city siege impossible. I built the Terracotta Army to provide an extra heal for my units.

Edit: Mistakes
    (1) With my main army I went Sterling > Uruk > Washington, but in retrospect I should have went Sterling > Washington (poor scouting)
    (2) I shouldn't have purposefully delayed the Terracotta Army. I should have finished it as soon as my main army got their first promotion, to get Commando and faster movement sooner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  5. cas

cas Chieftain

T197 DV

Based on the previous 3 submissions, it is clear I was not aggressive enough early with the UU.

settled 8 cities total. Capital in place, 2nd city towards Roraima, 3rd city squeezed in north of capital. the other 5 cities were to block Zulu and get some lux.

I did not prioritize IW for the UU, which was a mistake. I was all over the place in research.

Germany, Roosevelt, Monty, Gorgo. Yes, I wasted too much time eliminating AI instead of just capturing capitals.

No navy. I built lots of archers early and some warriors/UU. I should have just built UU + battering ram. I was worried about getting rushed early squished between Shaka and RtB.

Yes, but not early enough to be competitive. It was still very useful.

Probably the UU and standard knights.

Diplomacy ? lol.

Somewhat useful. Early Laventa provided some cover taking a Zulu city. Buenos Aires provided some happiness.

No. I missed Goddess of Harvest even with faith from Roraima. Bleh.

Started with Zulu and took his city to the west and capital. That made him irrelevant with 2 desert cities. Then on to RtB...took all his cities except one way up NW. Then Roosevelt -> Monty -> Germany -> Gorgo. Finished with Giggles because he was the most science advanced...had to bring a ton of knights.

All golden. No strategy here.

Moved governors around and conquered civs completely to keep loyalty.

Missed goddess of harvest. Sux.

Very much. Played more like immortal with the advanced start on Deity making it easier than ancient Deity start. Thanks for hosting.

I'm not attaching my game because I replayed a couple of turns from unit mis-clicks. The unit cycling in this game sucks ass.

cas

6. nufro

nufro Chieftain

T 166
    Settled 3 cities with chopped settlers, grabbed forge, non-stop warring afterward. Messed up the end game, as usual :(

Attached Files:

7. Falabello

Falabello Chieftain

Domination Victory T181 - Score 1193

Wow, it's very cool to be here near among the best players :lol:

In this game I wanted to see how many units I could build. Then I finished with tons of them:
    - 8 Musktmen and around 100 Knights (more 5 Battering Rams and 6 Great Generals)
    At Turn 180 (just one to capture the last Capital) I reached Nationalism and united all the units into Corps: 50 Knight Corps :D

Military Power: 2,568. This number was more from chops with Magnus. All the cities continue to build Districts and others. If cities also build more Knights I'd have more...
    And obviously, I don't recommend this to anyone. So many units to deal :whew:!

It was awesome as always, and also my first time I’ve ever played an advanced start Deity. Thanks for one more 6otM game :thumbsup:!

Attached Files:

8. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Chieftain

Dom Victory, T154, score 583

Would have been faster but I made a bad mistake near the beginning, when I was starting to march with army#1 on Scotland. The Zulus declared on me and showed up on my border with eight or nine units. I decided to turn army #1 around and take out the Zulu army and and take the Zulu capital. Should of just kept marching and watched the Zulus flail on my capital. It would have been very embarrassing though if they actually managed to take it :)

I was going to settle just my capital, but then I ended up settling another city with a captured settler (from Zulus). all other cities captured. But sent only Washington to the dustbin of history.

I went with mostly UUs. very useful!. also went with some horsemen and knights near the end. they weren't as good as the UUs though due to the AIs pikemen and Gorgo's hoplites.

Most useful units were the GGs. Only had two GGs. could have used another.

fun game, thanks guys!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Chieftain

that's a great idea! (and good game, congrats)

Eyswein likes this.
  10. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

DV turn255 score 1742

Yeah, you heard that right, DV! My first win on Deity in Civ6!!! I don't care I am 100 turns slower than the best, for me this is a milestone. Though tbh, the later era start makes it easier to grab enough land to get things rolling than an ancient start... but ya gotta start somewhere! BTW- this game took 11 turns of just hitting "enter" at the end before I could DOW my declared friend Gorgo. So I am learning something new every time.

Thanks for the tip about Gods of Harvest. At first I thought I got suckered because there was nothing to use faith for. But then I hit my first Golden Age and bought mostly builders, some traders. GA ended just as I finished Warlord's Throne, and bought land units after that (just in time for a Normal Age, even). Third era was also a GA... so very uncommon for me on Deity. Anyhow, I'll take it.

BTW- all this cinfidence got me to try the Chandragupta Deity 6oTM... and had to resart 3 times before I didn't get owned early. Still kinda iffy on the third try, but survived the early onslaught and have new confidence that I might actually find a way to win that (of course no submit, and submissions closed on that one anyhow, but gotta push myself before 6oTM52 comes out.:)

Attached Files:

11. leif erikson

12. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

Domination Victory in turn 236

settled 3 at the start of the game, another 8 later with faith purchased and captured settlers; captured countless

went for early knights and mercenaries civic

Gilgamesh only had three cities and Robert was near to a religious victory and therefore hat to go to exile

6 warriors and 8 war chariots, all upgraded the turn I reached mercenaries

Used Ngeo Mbeba only in the first war against Shaka, then upgraded to musketeers. In that first war they were crucial.

Knights by far, as usual

I was able to gain Robert as a fellow in my first two wars against Shaka and Gilgamesh, afterwards I betrayed him and attacked from two sides.

Zanzibar helped keeping my people happy and Vilnius / Nan Madol helped a lot making fast progress in the civics tree

Not really, only used some chaplain apostles to heal my units faster and later martyrers to gain some relics

Get the first great general, advance as fast as possible to mercenaries, upgrade warriors and war chariots, attack one after another. Maybe a slow, but safe approach.

All golden without big efforts

With golden ages all along, loyality was not that big of a problem. Only lost two cities which I easily conquered again once peace was settled.

An emergency against Robert just before I planned to attack him anyway came just quite in handy. Got 4.800 Gold out of it, which speeded things a bit up.

First GoT for a couple of month, was really a great one. I loved the map, thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

13. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Good game!

14. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

Thanks! If you want to learn from the sub 160 turn guys, just open their game saves and have a look at their era score timeline. I always get some inspiration from them when deciding, which steps to take first.

kcd_swede likes this.
  15. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Chieftain

T266. "Self proclaimed victory". Off-limit for competition due to use of CQUI mod.

That's right, self proclaimed victory. I don't have the will to attack the only leader who didn't hate me at first sight. Of course i would make a good Spartan, i ran havoc through the entire map :lol:
    Gorgo has 9 cities, i have 28. I would probably have already taken Sparta by now if i choose to attack her rather than finish Monty but she was my only friend. Since i'm not playing for competition i don't really see the point pushing further.

I settled 3! My capital and then a city next to some Nitre source with a Settler i bought at the end of the Medieval just in case and finally one for Oil.

Iron Working and Political Philosophy (obviously). With a Classical start, things are a lot different.
    My opener was Agoge and mass warrior production in capital while researching Iron Working to get my UU. Next was Machinery and finally Stirrups while i was producing some Chariots. I think i played that part right to get a nice army ASAP.
    On the Civics tree i went for Feudalism then Reformed Church to get Theocracy, lots of faith and no need to buy any religious units made it easy to acquire more units when i started joining them into Corps and then Armies.
    My first government was of course Oligarchy.

Everyone but Gorgo:devil:

6 warriors to upgrade into UU, 3 archers, 6 chariots to upgrade into knights. I lost 1 UU and 1 Knight but those were the core of my army for the entire game. I bought 2 Battering Rams to take early cities and much later had 2 Artilleries.
    My "Navy" was composed of a few Workers who built Fishing Boats and later 2 Oil Platforms.

Yes. They were quite useful in the early game and with a classical start almost available from the beginning. I'm not sure how much better they were compared to regular swordmen but at least against Shaka their mobility in forests and jungle was great.

Probably the Battering Rams :groucho:

Wut? :crazyeye:

Sure they were. Almost all my trade routes went to CSs. No way to use international trade routes with someone you are at war with.

Can't really say it was "religion" but I got Goddess of Harvest and went Theology so yes, it helped me get units easily to add to corps and armies, even thought the "real" units were all built early and upgraded later.

Shaka went down first when i attacked him with 4 of my UU and a Battering Ram (only his capital had walls quickly). When i saw him, i wanted him out of my way ASAP but fortunately for me he didn't had time to get his own UU.
    Robert came next thought he was a bit harder to take with 6 UU and 3 archers. Not really easy to navigate his land and his capital took longer fall while he was constantly attacking me with Chariots that were no match to my UU but slowly damaged them and could quickly kill archers. I lost 2 archers and one UU, replaced the archer but not the UU. His capital had great science output thanks to the Natural Wonder so at that point my research progressed a lot faster and i had crossbow and knights to attack Gilgamesh which was fortunate as he had grown to the largest power. Even then, it took me a lot of time to actually get to his capital, all the hills made it hard to get my battering rams next to his walls and he was doing a lot of damage with crossbow each time i tried to approach and i had to fall back at which point he simply couldn't counter attack, but he would have crossbows back when i had healed my troops. I let out my frustration on Robert who had denounced me and took his last 2 cities while going for Gunpowder. Muskets were finally enough to break Gilgamesh's defences and move to Uruk. At that point he really had no units left so i finished him to avoid a potential attack in my back when i would move further, also he paid for delaying me that long:viking:
    At that point, i had the entire western half of the Pangaea for me and some CSs and was progressing nicely in techs but America had assembled a decent army. My own army was 5 Musket corps, 5 Knight corps and 3 Crossbows plus a new Bombard without enough promotions to be a real threat and my 2 Battering Rams. I purchased 2 Cavalries but wasn't sure it would be enough. I was on my way to Combustion, had enough Era points for another Golden Age and the world would soon enter Industrial era so i waited a bit and bought a Settler to get a city next to some oil.
    The turn the world hit Industrial, i took "To Arms" dedication and declared on Teddy using my GA Casus Belli. My tanks made quick work of his defences and i started moving to the east, following with Frederick. On my way i left my now Armies of muskets next to Monty while i was going for Replaceable parts and building an Artillery army. My Tanks armies and one Bombard army took Germany and when i upgraded Muskets to Infantry those took the Aztecs lands with the help of the other Artillery. The 2 cavalries helped take smaller cities until they had their 4th promotion and could carry my battering rams around at high speed and those helped with the cleaning.
    I don't really gained my Domination VC but nothing would have prevented it did i choose to go against my "friend" Gorgo (i don't have actual friendship so i could have DoWed her anytime)

Well, eradicating other civs got me through GAs from the Medieval Era to the end.

No actual effect but actually it had a huge effect. I wasn't sure how i could maintain loyalty in a very large empire so i consolidated my advance by taking more cities than was required purely for Domination, and ended up eradicating everyone as it wasn't much more trouble than leaving them with 1-2 cities and would ensure nobody would be a pain in my back. From the reports here it seems like the fastest players had no troubles with Loyalty even leaving other civilizations alive around them so i guess i have been wayyyyy to careful (and slow). I tend to have a slow but steady pace of progressing through the map when doing Domination anyway.

2 surprises : Shaka next door and Shaka being so easily eliminated.:lol:

Yes, but by the end all of those cities was too much for me, even with CQUI making managing them easier and i razed most of Germany and the Aztecs. Not sure how some players can manage several dozen cities with the default UI.:eek:

16. leif erikson

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.