1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM53 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Dec 14, 2018.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM53 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

SV 180

…continued from opening action thread…

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? Most of the map.
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? After reaching feudalism and boosting stirrups, I teched directly to military science while producing horses for cav upgrades. I then went to industrialization…
    - Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history? All but Korea and the Cree.
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? Warcarts to knights and horses to cavalry.
    - Did you use your UU? Was it useful? In this scenario, the UU (warcart) was able to war for quite some time longer than I would have wagered before becoming completely outclassed. Shrug.
    - What was your most useful unit? Cav corps.
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? Not in the least.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Kabul, Babylon, Hattusa, Zanzibar and Lisbon (in that order).
    - Did religion play a role in your game? None.
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC? Conquer then concentrate trade routes and vertically integrate Cairo while making sufficient culture to reach the Royal Society in a reasonable amount of time.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? 3 back to back monumentality golden ages then a short reform of the coinage golden age before the SV.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? Had very little impact.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? After the 2 early game barb camps around Uruk (which inadvertently helped defend from Saladin), it was clear sailing.
    - Did you enjoy the game? I did.

My plan to leave Korea alone lasted around 11 turns until she declared war on Hattusa and I was granted a protectorate Casus Belli.
    Spoiler :
    1-ProtectorateKorea_LI.jpg

I produced 6 or so horses in Uruk and sent them toward the front I knew I would soon open. 4 knights got there first and eliminated a Hwacha as the 2nd retreated. On T118 I upgraded my 6 horses to cav and some 7 turns later either chopped or merged all my units into corps.
    Spoiler :
    3-50AD Cav Upgrade.png

As of the corps merge maneuver (T125) I realized that it was all over for Korea as they are banking 108 science and a pittance of culture to my 293/210. The rest of the civs are irrelevant. Game Over.

Ended up declaring peace with Korea then taking 2 cities, then declaring peace, gifting the cities back in the peace deal, then declaring on the Cree, taking some cities, “peacing out,” then gifting them back…rinse/repeat a few times with Warlord’s Throne, etc…

Various Images…
    1 AD

Spoiler :
    2-Year 1AD.png

300 AD Southern Front
    Spoiler :
    4-300AD #1.png

300 AD Northern Front
    Spoiler :
    5-300AD #2.png

Suz’ed All City States
    Spoiler :
    6-SuzAllCityStates.png

Final Image
    Spoiler :
    7-FinalShot.png

Other than the 13 turns to build a spaceport due to lack of gold, the game moved quicker than I would have expected.

Forensic analysis edit: Should have built more campus districts and run more science projects in the turns between initial AI steamroll and the Int'l Space Station. I ran into a fair number of downtime turns waiting for techs to become available.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  3. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

T298 SV. Bad time, but at least I could finish with a win. Arabia declared on me very early, but I was prepared and almost took his capital, but at a critical moment he got crossbows from somewhere so I decided to retreat and was mostly peace after that. I got good land to expand to including lots of islands. Warcarts are not that great in capturing cities if they reach a certain population it seems. Not a very eventful game in the end. I was quite lucky with a few key GP. Early game Scotland and some other civs had a huge lead in GS points, but I managed to take them over at some point.

Attached Files:

4. tarafran

tarafran Chieftain

T261 SV .settled in place stared buiding a scout and got a second one from goodie Huts .sent one on the East coast and the other one on the west one .Got to a few city states first and a faith goody huts that gave me Goddess of harvest
    DOWed from Arabia early , built an army of 6/7 War- carts and killed him.
    From there i started chopping settles and building my infrastructure staying as peaceful as i could.
    I had trouble with loyalty at first with my Arabians cities close to Scotland.
    II made use of a lots of spies to close up the gap in science with Korea and Scotland and later was getting 1300 gold from Japan cities
    Korea declared war on me around 140 and quickly sued for peace when i posted my battleship armada in front of her cities .
    Got 2 golden age and fell into 2 consecutive dark one then finihed back to normal age.
    I still have a lot to learn on those ;)
    I was tempted to play the game with an all out conquest but refrained to do so to learn a bit more about the mechanics of the game
    Great game
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  5. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

SV T159

Culture was the main bottleneck in this game. This was no surprise once I came to the realization (too late!) that there was no cultural city state on the map. This made me regret going for mercenaries before drama & poetry. Culture from ziggurats helped to mitigate, but not completely. This threw me off my game a bit.

Scottland and Korea are always good AIs to have when you are aiming for a domination oriented science game since they build a lot of campi.

I also made one major mistake in this game by not building the Ruhr Valley and waiting for Big Ben (and enough gold) to trigger the Flight eureka. This delayed rocketry and the moon landing too much. As you can see in the final screenshot, I overshot gold by a lot.

I rarely play science games and I learned a lot from this one.

Attached Files:

6. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

I lost. But actually had a fighting chance, which is rare on Deity for me. I am playing again to learn from my mistakes.

7. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

here is the file:

Attached Files:

8. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

My game crashed on me around turn 180-181.
    It seems if I don't have an external fan blowing on my PC, Civ VI makes my PC think it is overheating.
    My computer basically will just shut down completely via emergency.
    I will continue the game but might not finish with SV.
    I have 45 cities or so at this point and Domination would end the game for me in a few more turns.
    I killed Arabia, Bruce, India, Korea, Egypt and on my way to Japan.
    Seems silly for me to wait another 30 to 50 turns to blast off.
    I obviously do not understand how to set up faster SV.
    My domination game is lacking about 75 to 100 turns as well compared to players who really understand the game.

I can't seem to find a leader board for Civ VI like you guys run/ran for Civ V posting finish times and point finishes.

Edit: Went back and loaded up Resume Game.
    Had to play a few turns over again.
    Played up to turn 192.
    Took a few Jap Cities and Jap Capital.
    SV is most likely 30 turns away.
    My stats are pretty horrible when compared to the Pros.
    Have to work on being more Culture Focused and learn how to place districts better.

Spoiler Turn 192 :

Turn 192.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  9. BarbarianHunter

I really improved my finish time this game by beelining Industrialization then Rocketry rather than proceeding to steel and combustion as I normally would. I knew where I was going (as opposed to my usual haphazard warring) so I concentrated trade routes in a central city, built an industrial zone, bought the workshop+factory with gold then immediately began construction of the Rhur Valley. By the time I got to rocketry I had finished or almost finished Rhur. Then I hard built the spaceport in 13 turns or so. I think I should have built more campus districts. Oh well. I'm not complaining though, as I don't think I've ever finished a SV below T200 before. One day I'll get a SV around DanQ's T159 victory time, but that day might be quite some ways off...………...

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  10. Fluphen Azine

I did rush up to tanks first.
    I always have the boosts for it compared to Industrialization.
    I never think of building IZs and forget about them.
    Built a Spaceport but without an IZ lol.
    I always have known I've been bad at Civ just didn't realize how bad.
    This GOTM has shown me how horrible my game truly is.
    All I need to do is compare my stats per turn and I see how far off I really am.
    Depressing.

Falling into a Dark Age didn't help matters.
    I went Golden, Golden, Dark, Heroic.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  11. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

SV T146

At early stage main focus was to get strong religion. Sent my first war cart to kamikaze mission to pillage Salladins plantation (to get faith).Then built 3 holy sites. Got 3rd prophet and very useful religion:
    -harvesting pantheon
    -jesuit education
    -religious colonization

Focusing on faith had two major downsides:
    -having mediocre culture output which resulted in very late political philosophy (T56).
    -delaying first war cart push too much (Sallading had walls).

The reward of having strong religion with monumentality made it worthwhile. Never before I have kept the holy site double adjacency card for so long. Just to be able to faith purchase extra builder every now and then. I think I replaced it with rationalism card.

After conquering Arabia I waited few turns to be able to upgrade war carts into knights. Didn't have mercenaries as I was beelining to theocracy and gold was an issue. Ended up upgrading only a handful. The rest were upgraded one by one when I had accumulated enough gold for upgrade. Later on faith purchased few musketmen to speed up the conquest.

I made one big mistake:
    By the time I discovered rocketry I realized that there is not a single city in the empire that has enough chops for moon landing. So I quickly faith purchased 3 settlers (2 space port cities + 1 for purchasing builders w/ Liang) and settled them on tundra.

If I had planned better then I would had a space city settled and Reyna already sitting there. Instantly purchasing space port and switching to Magnus. A quick calculation how much moon landing was delayed:
    4 turns to move settler + 5 turns to Reyna to travel.

This delayed globalization a lot, but in the big picture maybe it didn't have so big impact. Science output was around 1.8k before globalization and I could already research every tech that has a boost in one turn.

Spoiler :

Ziggurats are awesome. Thanks for the game!

Edit: Uploaded the save file..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  12. Fluphen Azine

@pahakuutti To add insult to injury you left Korea alive to watch you blast into space pre turn 150!!
    Detour to Religion to boot...impressive.
    Nicely Done!

kcd_swede likes this.
  13. BarbarianHunter

The Harverst pantheon is mad. If I was playing 6otM's only for competition, I'd play until I either had or didn't have the harvest pantheon. If I had it, I'd carry on. If not, scrap the game and wait for next time. PS, pahakuutti, WOW. I'd have bet I could have shaved maybe 20 turns off my finish but not 35. And you think you could have finished 9 turns before you actually did.

Fluphen Azine and kcd_swede like this.
  14. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

SV in turn 230, but does not count since I had to restart after Saladin got me by surprise while my troops were out for barbarian hunt.

Faced an interesting bug though, see attached Bug.Civ6Save: I was allied with Seondeok and Hojo. My alliance with Hojo ran out the same turn he declared war on Seondeok, so there was automatically war between him and me as well. But on his turn he offered another alliance to me which I accepted. This resulted in being allied and at war with him at the same time, which led to funny side effects. I was able to attack his units (and they attacked mine as well!), but unable to attack his cities for 30 turns. After the alliance ran out, he still had a positive attitude towards me, but at least I was able to take his cities by then. I ended up sending him to the dustbin without ever being (officially) at war with him.

@leif_erikson: I don't think this bug is worth fixing, since it's an extremely rare edge case, but maybe the devs at Firaxis want to take a look at the saved game. I'm a dev myself and I'm always curious about bugs, since there might be more behind them than can be seen at first sight.

Attached Files:

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  15. leif erikson

Thanks. Left a note for Firaxis. :thumbsup:

edit - Got an answer, it has been passed along to the development team. :goodjob:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  16. Fluphen Azine

I had this happen in a game before a month or so ago.
    Forgot or didn't think about mentioning it to the site.
    I am not sure how it happened but it was goofy.
    I had the same problem where I was unable to take cities or kill units or something like you describe.
    Something odd happened like you describe where I was allied up with Alex and went to War with another Civ and it got jumbled.

17. Fluphen Azine

I agree about Harvest.
    One thing I don't understand about Faith Buying...
    Why do things like settlers, builders and trade routes go up in cost but Knights are always the same Faith Price?

Did Dan Quayle have Harvest in his game?
    I don't think so.
    It only took him 13 turns longer without Harvest.
    These Guys are Good!

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I played this game just for fun over the break as I had the time. After I got a relic I sold it for 30GPT as I had no use for it and then picked up another from a barb camp which I then sold for 45GPT so by T33 I was on 103 GPT and made a save as I was not playing to publish so to speak.
    I saved at T100 but basically did the full on science push with a bit of culture thrown in... no culture CS was a bit upsetting but with harvest and monumentality you just chop chop chop. Finished in T150 with my moon landing leaving me 3 turns short of globalization.
    I thought I can do better than this so reloaded my T100 save and finished at T157. So I tried again and got to T153.... I think what gave me better than @DanQuayle who normally pips me a few turns at things is I built oxford rather than Ruhr, it’s a gamble but worked great. The T157 finish was ignoring Big Ben.
    If anyone wants the T33 or 100 saves feel free... or I have the 153 finish but not really much point in posting, just looks like the others. Moon chopped in the icy waste and I used Patna for the last projects as there was lots of good chopping there.
    Never really tried to push religion, that @pahakuutti game looks way too much for my little head, I get impatient, but fantastic to know it can be done under 150. Well done, but you always do well, especially your one city challenges on deity.

19. nufro

nufro Chieftain

T 193 SV
    Modified domination. End game is bad as usual, but the overall finish time is not bad for me.

Attached Files:

20. leif erikson

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.