6otM56 AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 56 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you bother with Religion?

- Did you Bother with Culture?

- Were City-States helpful?

- How long did you wait to leave Scotland??

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Last edited:
DV T173, Score 1216
Invalid. I forgot to turn off the mod that shows science/culture/faith. I left the save file just in case anyone is interested though.

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Around 30.
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Knights, then cav, nationalism.
- Did you bother with Religion? No.
- Did you Bother with Culture? Nope.
- Were City-States helpful? Yes. Carthage most of all due to the discount for gold purchases. Under human management the Mali should be scary on this map.
- How long did you wait to leave Scotland?? Don't recall. I built 2 campi then rushed shipbuilding.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Starting on the island proved a challenge @ the beginning. I probably should have worked a horse rush but just waited for knights. Cav closed out the game well.
- Did you enjoy the game? Yes. I never play these True Start games, and probably wouldn't have chosen Scotland. Thanks for the prod.

…continued from opening actions…

I managed to build the colosseum. Hooray. I never used the amenity bonus though, as I was always off conquering. In fact this was the longest running period of discontentment for my population for some time.

What started off slow picked up steam fairly quickly. Nubia went back and conquered Carthage after I liberated it from them the 1st time. The next turn an EMERGENCY was called, and 25 or so turns later I was 7200 gold richer. I used the gold to reinforce the Africa campaign with knights I bought with gold at either of my two stable+armory encampments. My suzerianship of Carthage offered a discount for each encampment building, and knights @ present cost me 420 gold. I have more than a few.

Back to the game…Nubia down, Kongo down, onward to Shaka., after which I should be able to send my puppeteer promoted Amani to Kumasi for more culture (as if it will matter at that point). Shaka has dunked 9 envoys in Kumasi so even attempting to suz is impossible.

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 2_2_2019 7_15_58 PM.png

Anyway, on back to the game…Much carnage ensues. I leave Shaka with 1 city because I can’t crack it with just knights and cav is some ways off. I eliminate Russia before taking Canberra and a few surrounding cities with cav and knight corps, then snipe a wallless Angkor Thom. The End.

Edit: With all the finish times coming in, it looks like I should have built a navy larger than the 2 of 4 galleys that survived the early +100% overflow chop.

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 2_2_2019 11_02_12 PM.png

Attachments

• 6otM---THE BRUCE 173 1120 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 254
Last edited:
DV T144
Invalid as I still have my change where I moved harbours to shipbuilding (even though I played it right).
Not that it matters or I cared, its not exactly a micromanaged game just good yeeeha fun. and I sure did have it.
Below shows my Kumasi Levied Bombard reaching Hobart near the end of the game, god I love levied troops.
Save attached if anyone wanted a look
As I have always said, TSL is really an island plates map so well suited to Frigates and they sure came in handy. I had 5.
upload_2019-2-3_13-41-23.png

How many cities did you settle or capture?
Not that important, I ended up just setlling variously - captured 26 settled 8
upload_2019-2-3_13-46-21.png

See the T100 thread for starting ones... in essence beelining shipbuilding to get cheap quads, then knights, the frigates, the muskets, then printing
Nope... but I accidentally got one around T130
Pushed a bit at the start out of habit which is good as it does speed up knights but TBH, so much gold, and science so strong I did not really need to.
KUMASI... Noobia and I had many fights... eventally because I had dome more quests I was 2 envoys ahead on 10 envoys and so risked the levying which gave me ... 1 chariot, 1 catapult, and 3 swords, very handy.
That does not sound nice... I like scotland
Nope, good game, troubloe is it is the TSL map so it really was few surprises. Lack of barb camps is zzz lack of goody huts is quite good.
Most definately, always a good challenge and the Carthaginian wars were fun. I am so used to city flipping now that it really does not bother me, flip and I get value, do not flip and I get value.
I quite liked the adjacency on England too
upload_2019-2-3_13-56-21.png

Attachments

• ROBERT THE BRUCE 144 660 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 178
DV T181 Score 1192

Settled 5, captured 28

Animal Husbandry -> Sailing -> Writing -> Shipbuilding -> Masonry -> Iron working -> Stirrups -> Aprenticeship -> Military Science -> Combustion
Political Philosophy -> Feudalism -> Mercanaries -> Exploration -> Nationalism and I was on my way to Mobilization.

For policies, I mostly used Conscription, Merchant Confederation, Town Charters, Natural Philosophy and Raid. Swapping in and out unit production boosters. I also used Strategos to get Hannibal in the early game.

No.

Picked God of the Open Sky and made sure to build my monuments quickly for a good early culture game but didn't make any effort afterward. It still kept up with my science throughout the entire game.

No, mostly useless, those around Europe were all dead early except Kumasi. I eventually liberated Carthage.

About 60 turns.

Didn't expect Europe to be empty, I just settled 2 cities in France/Germany and went for a failed swordman rush. Made up for it with a very successful knight rush. Nobody in America was also surprising. And the Khmer ridiculous starting position had me cross the Himalayas chokepoint single file with my cavalry army, I'm not used to the earth map at all.

Lots of fun, games where things go wrong are always more interesting. It's a great way to get back into civ6 before GS comes out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 100 turns(in the opening action thread) I was getting ready to start my knight rush. As expected I was able to take out Russia, Sumeria and all of Africa with the exception of Shaka who was already at gunpowder but my cavalry was just in time, I sent half to Africa and the other half started marching toward Asia.

Here I make a silly mistake that will come back later on, turns out I thought I captured Shaka's capital but it was actually Kongo's capital that he took from them earlier. Should have been obvious from the name but I just looked at the crossed out star and called it a day.

Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 11.53.56 PM.png

The Himalayas chokepoint was painful, lost a cavalry to this...
Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 12.02.16 AM.png

The invasion of Australia, wasn't sure what to expect in terms of defenses, I never play island maps. Turns out he didn't have much.

Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 12.04.04 AM.png

And finally the last capital I forgot to capture. Thankfully I kept a bunch of knights and a battering ram in Africa so I just pushed combustion and took the city with tanks and caravels.

Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 12.05.10 AM.png

All in all, mistakes were made but I'm glad I still got under T200.

Attachments

• ROBERT THE BRUCE 181 1200 AD GOT.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Domination victory T162

I thought it might be faster to just build encampment on Europe than to go for shipbuilding. It started out really well: I had god of the forge and twilight valor, so I could capture few cities with just warriors and archers. One city had also iron, but I had no money to buy a single worker and I had not enough time to build one until city was revolting :mad:

I had horses and finished off Russia with horsemen, but I looked hard to go against Sumeria until I had swordsmen. And when I attacked, it was hard again with loyality. My progress was really slow in narrow Suez canal and Himalayas as there were big golden-aged cities right on the other side and all my cities flipping in 3 turns.

In the end I went straight for Australia, because Sumeria had captured Anghor Thom from Khmer and I thought I don't have to capture it, but I was wrong. Victory did not trigger until I had taken Anghor Thom also. This was quite a few turns wasted.

Warring with dark age is a bit messy, but in the end it surely is faster than to wait for golden age.

Attachments

• g56_dom_t162_973pts.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 163
  • g56_win_t162.png
    g56_win_t162.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 193
I thought it might be faster to just build encampment on Europe than to go for shipbuilding.
... I initially thought that but then knew shipbuilding was key and a navy would help. Also knowing where Carthage was and its likelihood of death mean I could pop down with early ships and do a last hit on the city and but a settler there. This really helped and no-one seemed to mind. If I had correctly beelined knights and done everything correct maybe a T120 victory with this approach but I was having fun and waited too long to build the Suez Canal.

Dv turn 139
About 5 and about 25.
Horseback riding, shipbuilding, bronzeworking, frigates, mathematics, stirrups, printing. Then I went for cavalry but knights were more than enough.
I did get a religion from killing Peter, it helped me a bit with the +4 against others religions card.
Not really.
Hattusa really helped me.
Nan-madol and Buenos aires were pretty welcome too.
In the beginning of the classical era I think when the army was ready.
I was suzerain and at war with Carthage at the same time.... It didn't really bother me in the early game but the exact turn I reached frigates and upgraded quadriremes, somebody flipped it making me at peace with Carthage while my navy was in the Mediterranean.
I tried to make it flip again by accomplishing the quest but it didn't reward me the envoy. So my whole fleet got stuck in the Mediterranean Sea. Delaying my whole conquest of Africa and Australia by 10 turns....
It was pretty annoying, and I should have just raze Carthage in the ancient era.
Also Kongo did get killed by the Zulus.
Beside Carthage being extremely annoying, yes I really did enjoy the game. Thoses kind of starts are really fun to play.
This is my first participation to Gotm, thanks for the game!

Attachments

• GOTM scotland dv 139.Civ6Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 20190205192859_1.jpg
    20190205192859_1.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 145
DV T121

AH, Sailing, HR, Shipbuilding
Took god of the forge as pantheon, but god of the open sky might have been better here.
First few cities I took from Russia had no wonders and sometimes even no monument.
Lack of culture delayed Feudalism (and Knights) a bit.
Pillaging ziggurats and mines from Sumeria propulsed science mid game.

Curtis was going full military despite his isolated start.
He built many encampments and snatched most great generals.
He had around 650 military strength when I attacked him.

Also, I noticed a weird occurrence/bug? related to iron/Hattusa in this game:
I was suzerain of Hattusa which had 1 iron in its territory.
I wanted to build more heavy charriots after discovering stirrups. I had multiple irons (one of which was listed in reports as "gameplay bonus" which should be the tile iron I was receiving from Hattusa as its suzerain).
I proceeded to sell them all which should have left me with the 1 iron I was receiving from Hattusa and thus leave me able to build heavy chariots in all non encampment cities.
However, I was now receiving 2 irons from gameplay bonuses as listed in reports leaving me unable to build more heavy chariots which leads me to believe that the Hattusa suzerain bonus activated despite me already receiving iron from them.

Attachments

• ROBERT THE BRUCE 121 125 AD.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
  • Civ6Screen0003.jpg
    Civ6Screen0003.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 131
DV - 159 turn

- How many cities did you settle or capture? - Settled 4, captured around 30-35

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? - Research: rush to sail and swords - caravels/frigate - musket.

- Did you bother with Religion? - no, but got nearly 125turn

- Did you Bother with Culture? - no

- Were City-States helpful? - Carthage gave my a good crisis to Nubia and a lot of gold. Two gold CS gave me enough golds to my Commercial districts

- How long did you wait to leave Scotland?? - built a campus and rushed sails by projects (got good GS +1 since for libraries). And nearly 45-50turns i left the island. (before it i had sent my firs worker to explore the world);

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? - I did not expect that I could not attack the Canberra with my frigates. And I needed to take my land army to Australia and it took me additional 10-12 turns. Was surprise that no any civs in South/North Americas.

- Did you enjoy the game? - yes. Thank for game. I played with pleasure.

My mistakes were: - I spent turns to settled three new cities on France and Spain territory (could get new cities from Russia for 15 turns early). But got from them since boost (Harbors and Commercial centers) - built warriors/swords army, but did not have chariots and knights. - Did not built enough quadriremes, and wastes turns before got Frigates to build them.
Just for fun built one city in South America (captured in from Congo) - and I was there along :) Heroic age helped me to boost since - good strategy if have coast cities.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.42.25.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.42.25.png
    12.1 MB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.43.31.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.43.31.png
    14.3 MB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.40.42.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 00.40.42.png
    15.2 MB · Views: 109
  • ROBERT THE BRUCE 159 960 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Just for fun built one city in South America
:) so did I but with a settler, I also spent too long with frigates but it was fun.
Is that British humour?
Any country can have bad humor, sometimes I cannot resist the obvious poor joke. I did have exactly the same issue as you and looked it up then sold my last iron... I was giving away my iron for 1 GPT this map is littered with it. It's a bit gamey but as a community we did ask for the change to be able to by old units when resources were not available, still not fixed in GS, in fact it is going to be easier to get knights as you just have to buy the iron and have 1 spare for healing.

@DanQuayle
Did you try to remove the iron improvement in Hattusa territory?
I think I had it pillaged for quite some time in my game, but it didn't really matter though as I decided to go for frigates before knights and didn't have much money left for chariots upgrade, wich ended up being a big mistake and I trained knights in catastrophe when my whole fleet got stuck because of Carthage.
Do someone know why Carthage instantly declare on me just after I liberated it? I also coudn't make peace with her nor send it envoys.
Spoiler :

Do someone know why Carthage instantly declare on me just after I liberated it? I also coudn't make peace with her nor send it envoys.
I had the same situation after I liberated CS (Carthage in this game). I could not send envoys to any city. And I was a suz of Carthage but did not see city territory. To fix it - exit the game, and load you save (just reload save without exit does not work, need reload Civ). Hope this bug will be fixed in new release.

Last edited:
@DanQuayle
Did you try to remove the iron improvement in Hattusa territory?[/SPOILER]

I didn't during my initial playthrough, but I did just try it with the save I posted and I found some "interesting" things...

If I DoW Hattusa right away, I will lose both irons. So the 2 irons I am getting from "gameplay bonuses" are definitely tied to Hattusa.
If I reload and remove instead the mine improvement over the Hattusa iron with a builder, I will... wait for it... get 1 additional iron! (3 total)
If I rebuild the mine over the Hattusa iron, I will get 1 additional iron! (4 total)
If I remove the mine again, I get 1 additional iron! (5 total)
etc.
If I DoW Hattusa after this, I lose 1 iron, but keep all the others (so back to 4 iron).

Anyway, since the whole strategic resource part of the game is completely revamped in GS, it is kind of moot now.

Attachments

• Civ6Screen0000.jpg
    Civ6Screen0000.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 95
DV 214.

I got to Europe relatively quickly and had already 3 settlers and military ready at that point. I had realized France is not in the game, as I met Russia and thought it would be too crowded. My early game was quite OK, but what got me side tracked was that Nubia DoWed me quite early despite not having much of contested borders and I delayed my invasion of Russia. That war ended up pointless and afterwards I took out Sumeria and remains of Russia and continued my conquest all the way to Asia, while at a later time simultaneously sent out a frigate army to start hammering down Africa. From Asia my land army continued to Australia and a second land army took out Middle East, i.e. Nubia, which managed even to capture one of Sumerian cities from me.

I also got confused by capitals with different owners, as Shaka was not in possession of their own capital, but he had Kongo's capital. Most of capturing work was done by bombards and frigates with the help of some musketmen and cavalry. Probably could have got to around turn 180 without the distraction of Nubia in the beginning and by pumping out more military around turn 120 and sending more armies around the map.

I thought of not even playing this game as there was an Earth game with a similar starting point quite recently, but in the end the game was OK.

Attachments

• ROBERT THE BRUCE 214 1515 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
DV t237, score 1376

I thought about an encampment, but by then I had worked towards shipbuilding with 2 galleys, so did not want to waste the wheat. I only settled the 2 cities in Britain, everything else was pure joy conquest. Too much fun killing people to worry about finish date. Frigates were key, but as an idiot, I killed Hobart instead of Canberra which cost abour 20 t. fun.

I got sucked into an emotional revenge war so as usual my finish time is well below what most of the people here submit. BUT IT WAS SATISFYING!!!! Thanks for a great fun game!

Attachments

• THE BRUCE DV 237 1630 AD sc1376.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 185
DV T162
Just realized this was my first DV with Rise & Fall.

Settled 2 cities in the British Isles, another one in central Europe and one in Spain. Conquered another 11 (also razed a few). Went for shipbuilding, attacked Russia early on and advanced on Sumeria. The Middle East was problematic as I could not ensure loyalty there until I could get a golden age (1st setback). First army went towards Sumeria -> Khmer -> Australia. Second one went Nubia -> Kongo (original capital taken by the Zulu) -> Zulu.

Second setback was when I declared friendship with Zulu, but managed to reach them with 13 turns of friendship remaining :lol: (2nd setback). Meanwhile I liberated Hattusa, Carthage, Kabul and Zanzibar.

Thank you for the game, let's check out Gathering Storm now!

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

Top Bottom