6otM56 opening actions

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 56 Opening Actions thread.
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
- Where did you settle your cities?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- How did you place your districts?
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were your neighbors peaceful?
- How was the lack of Barbarians?
- Any surprises?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Where did you settle your cities? On the British isles, then Iberia for encampment/production and amenities for sale, then France, then forward settled St Petersburg in anticipation of a heroic age and knight rush DOW in the medieval.
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Started with 2 campus districts on the island for more science for shipbuilding.
- What was your build order? Builder/Settler/Galley/Galley.
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Campus. I am building an entertainment district in a centrally located Dumfries. I have very little hope for the colosseum, but who knows!
- How did you place your districts? 2 zero adjacency campus districts, shrug.
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? 6 was about all I could manage.
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? +100% naval chop got me a couple of quick campi.
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Liberated Carthage from Nubia and am popping out archers from Stirling with the +2. Also built 2 encampments. One in Iberia, the other next to St. Petersburg.
- Were your neighbors peaceful? They offered fairly favorable terms with the peace deals for the little carnage involved in the wars.
- How was the lack of Barbarians? Pleasant.
- Any surprises? Nope.

Other than forgetting to move Magnus from the capital to the other only settleable city on the island before chopping out 2 galleys, there were only a few fairly minor subefficient maneuvers.

As someone said in the announcement thread, this is a slow starter due to being land locked.

Image: As of 5 turns left to era change & heroic age.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 2_2_2019 12_20_32 PM.png

I never get this.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 2_2_2019 12_09_23 PM.png

Last edited:
10 cities, knight rushing just started.
Spoiler :

As shown on the map below
Animal Husbandry, Sailing, pottery, writing. 2 sheep start needed AH, I wanted to send the last charge of my first builder off sailing early, +3 for first galley as well, Then I wanted a campus.
Foreign trade, early empire, craftsmanship, State Workforce. I needed the naval 100% early, then I wanted the additional gold from open borders, there was no real ruush to get troops out early, thios map requires a naval start from the UK island.
Builder, monument, settler, builder, galley
Campus of course... no happy cities now though... 16 scientist points per turn though as I have 6 Campi.
upload_2019-2-3_1-39-40.png

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
Built 6, captured 4.
Amani, then magnus then liang
I managed to get Kumasi for about 3 turns with Amani which sent my cities ecstatic... I think I was getting 12 scientists points a turn at T56
Yes
Slowed me down, I may have taken a different root but for the lack of iron working eureka
- Any surprises?
Nope, I could not really remember the map, it has been a while, surprised how well i remembered it I guess
I guess there has been great fun with about 15 Carthaginian wars, tempted to flip n pillage as I have had trouble holding it in a normal age
I was very cheeky.... I waited for Noobia to just about take Carthage, then declared war and snuck in, captured it, bought a settler and then let it flip, captured it again and gave it back to Carthage.... and so the Carthaginian wars went from there. never been tickled by a potato archer all game.

upload_2019-2-3_1-21-43.png

Last edited:
Good GOTM to get back into the game before GS comes out. Really different and challenging.

turn 104, lots of things went wrong(see the expansion question) but I'm about to turn things around once mercenary is completed 10 turns from now.

Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 1.46.44 PM.png

Settled capital on spawn location. I know there is iron in Ireland on earth map so I settled my second city in Plymouth to be able to grab that iron, after that I settled 2 cities in France/Germany, should have settled in Spain as well but I had other plans.

opened animal husbandry -> sailing for 3 improvements
mining -> writing to chop 2 galleys into an early campus, putting me on track for shipbuilding.
Went for political philosophy as fast as I could and went Autocracy so I could slot strategos, conscription and maneuver all at once to prepare knight rush.

Used god-king to get god of the open sky to help my rush a bit. Used strategos for a great general, got Hannibal. Otherwise, nothing special, kept swapping the production cards to fit the situation.

builder->settler->monument

Built campus and library in both cities very early with a government district as well for adjacency. I was hoping it would keep me competitive for a while even if I'm stuck on 2 cities.

In a pretty little triangle since there are no mountains for adjacency.
Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 1.22.58 PM.png

This is where things went horribly wrong.

My plan was go shipbuilding+ironworking for a swordman rush to conquer Europe but after chopping my galleys I realized Europe was empty. So I had to do a 180 degree to go into settler spam mode, but since I was delayed by the time I got there, Russia and Nambia had already settled in Europe so I had to do another 180 degree and go back to the original plan of swordman rush.

Unfortunately after all this back and forth I was too late and failed to capture anything against Russia's million archers. Thankfully, I was able to get back my upgrade money and some more in a peace deal but overall it looks like I met my Waterloo.

So the total after all this is a measly 4 cities but I have a pretty sizeable knight army ready to go in ~10 turns, should be able to take out at least Russia and Sumeria and hopefully a good chunk of Africa before the AI catches up.

Opened Magnus x2 but I don't really know what I'm doing so I just went Pingala first and than Victor x2 during my war against Russia.

Still need to play more R&F to know what to do with the governors beyond magnus chopping and moving Victor to my latest conquest so it doesn't flip.

They are all dead except Kumasi, running autocracy without Amani so I'm not about to get anything going City-State wise

Kinda, Russia had a ton of units surrounding my city when I first settled in Germany so I declared on him before he did. Not sure if he would have started a war or not, my city was well-protected with better units than him so It was really odd to see him so aggressive.

The island is so tiny, not sure they would have spawned anyway, I guess not having to deal with galleys/quadrireme everywhere is nice.

- Any surprises?

The biggest surprise was seeing Europe empty, didn't expect it at all and it really threw a wrench in my plans.

Last edited:
moving Victor to my latest conquest so it doesn't flip
Any governor gives +8 loyalty immediately you place them. You do not need it to be Victor, I tend to use Pingala because sometimes you need a builder to chop in food. Amani with the +4 amenities promotion because it is effectively +14 loyalty but Amani with 2 extra promotions is a lot of governor points (see the loyalty link above my signature)
seeing Europe empty,
I just parked my warrior on the south coast (it had nothing else to do) if there is anything in europe it would show pretty quick. When I saw Peters scout at about T20 it was clearly empty but TBH I had sent a one charge builder into the sea before then.

Any governor gives +8 loyalty immediately you place them. You do not need it to be Victor, I tend to use Pingala because sometimes you need a builder to chop in food. Amani with the +4 amenities promotion because it is effectively +14 loyalty but Amani with 2 extra promotions is a lot of governor points (see the loyalty link above my signature).

Wow.... mind blown. I'm really an R&F noob. So why is there a timer if you just get the bonuses right away ?

Edit: nvm, found the important bit in the guide
Amani’s +2 loyalty to friendly cities will only take affect once Amani has spent 5 turns joining the city (or a near city).

so it's +8 turn 0 and then a bunch more if you wait until turn 5.

Last edited:
so it's +8 turn 0 and then a bunch more if you wait until turn 5
I was just told that the 4 amenities are going... so with the right promotion +2 in 5 turns yeah... and hey, we have to start learning somewhere, VI has a lot of subtleties, even things like what unit to start with is argued over.

Hi!

Back to playing civ 6 after a long pause. I like the Rise & Fall expansion, but I have yet to fully understand the new mechanics.
Anyway, here is a screenshot at turn 111:

Spoiler Scots at turn 111 :

- Where did you settle your cities? Shown in the screenshot.
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? I tried to get to shipbuilding ASAP, but made a detour to get writing, in order to build campuses and libraries. It has awarded me three great scientists up till now.
- What was your build order? Started on monument, then switched to builder, for it to finish at the same time as animal husbandry. Then finished the monument, followed by a settler and two galleys.
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Build two campuses fairly soon.
- How did you place your districts? They were placed on low yield vacant tiles. No adjacency bonuses yet.
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Built five cities, conquered two, of which one rebelled away again. I am confident I will get it back soon.
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Started with the card that gives faith in the capital, for the pantheon that gives +1 production to fishing boats. After that,I tried to pay more attention than usual to thinking ahead about when a certain production bonus could be exploited. I needed to get boats and soldiers fast. The current government does not have any military card slots, I hope I made the right choice there. The wildcard slot goes to the card that lowers unit maintenance.
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Most of them seem occupied, but I will set them free when the time comes. The two remaining city states are not very interesting, so I am saving my envoys for later.
- Were your neighbors peaceful? They were friendly enough, but tension rose when Sumeria and Russia started to expand towards Europe. I then denounced and declared war on Sumeria, because Gilgamesh was science leader and expanding rapidly.
- How was the lack of Barbarians? Normally I like their random harassment, but their absence seems suitable for this particular game, which is not about surprises.
- Any surprises? As a matter of fact, there were some. I met three civilizations I had never met before. You see, I had to buy a bundle of game expansions in order to play this GOTM.

Bye for noo!

Top Bottom