6otm58 AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 58 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
Please attached your victory save to your post.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you bother with Religion?
- Did you Bother with Culture?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Last edited:
Oops... accidental CV at t167.... I guess part of the condition was to prevent yourself from winning other ways? In which case this was a failure.

No blue CS on the map but lots of CS in general and a load of very juicy purple ones (Kumasi, Nan Madol..) so went Machu Pichu and stacked up +3 theatres everywhere (rushing for globalization 5% science card)...

Was progressing along fine and suddenly the victory screen shows up. Prince AI is pathetic! The highest culture leader was a mere 32 cpt Maori! I guess the problem was playing peaceful... (but warring on prince is a bit like taking candy from a baby) if I completely eliminate some AI that would get rid of their domestic tourists (wanted lvl2 alliance for research lab eureka but found out that AI reaches civil service too late that by the time you reach the tech the alliance is still lvl 1). I thought this wouldn't be a problem since I avoided meeting the AI on the other continent but still CV happened.

So part of the challenge to the map was to give you lots of culture CS, but prevent you from amassing culture? (or at any rate, you have to delete the great works people you get?)\

btw, there is no Scotland in game... either description above is incorrect, or I downloaded the wrong map... (this is Inca SV correct?)

T285 Science Victory

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Settled 10 i think, captured none, no war whatsoever
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Usual science path, except a quick detour to aqueducs for Incan special abilities, but otherwise Ruhr, Spaceport, etc
- Did you bother with Religion? No
- Did you Bother with Culture? Tried to have high culture to enable quickly the gov building that let you use builder charges for projects, so yeah, but had to keep an eye on the victory culture score
- Were City-States helpful? Yes and No - good to have the 5% science per city state and the culture for Kumasi, but the good scientific cc (geneva, bologna) were missing
- How long did you wait to leave Scotland?? N/A
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Game was super straightforward, nothing surprising happened. Chandragupta did pretty well on my continents and the other continents was seeing continuous wars between Eleanor and the 3 others. Also the 2 projects to speed the travel expedition were super far in the tech tree.
- Did you enjoy the game? Was fine, but king is way too easy

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 286 1830 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 116
Oops... accidental CV at t167.... I guess part of the condition was to prevent yourself from winning other ways? In which case this was a failure.

Same here. Accidental CV 10 turns later, though. Few turns before exo expedition would have landed. I traded away couple of writings only because I tried to pump up AI's culture output.

SV T220
Spoiler :

upload_2019-3-4_1-49-14.png

I did not know a science victory under GS but I do know CV's very well as I have played all my games up to now as CV so I knew just not to fill anything (and not get too many wonders as you can just win with wonders on prince) Certainly a sub 180 game if you want to push every benefit.
Spoiler :

How many cities did you settle or capture?
Settled about 10 and captured about 15
It is in the T100 report
No, I scraped in Harvest goddess and atthe laser project phase I had 10K faith. I just started spamming wind and solar farms everywhere
Well thats the funny thing, a fast science victory requires good culture but prince limits it.
The key was getting a city to 10 and having Kumasi, that really helped boost things. I had 6 amphiteaters and 2 museums at the end but i should have concentrated more on them as the CS were there to abuse. If someone could be bothered Nan modal was another way to go but Inca is not exactly a coastal civ
Oh yes... Kumasi in particular, the old ones are the good ones... I guess Lisbon also as agreat trade route destination overseas for Kumasi.
- How long did you wait to leave Scotland??
I never went to scotland... silly GOTM team :cringe:
I had played with Warak'aq before but not together with knights. They really showed how inferior they were, even on prince... although it was not ever an inssue, knights can just face it and take it. I lost a Warak'aq ... on prince.
Yes, up to a point. Noty the GOTM teams problem, just they have lengthened the science victory and cheapened it. Just more damn projects. zzzzzzz

I think my view of R&F science victory is like my view of Coastal defences (see pic below). I built this because it was offered to me. Having read quite a few posts where people complain about them... I had no issue building them, I diod not exactly have much else to do at the time and they are not that expensive... Just build them before you have to and the price is 10 turns or less. This pic looks so pointless.. just like the last bit of the science victory, they did not add anytrhing new or dynamic, just made a really interesting fun game in both vanilla and R&F too samey in GS.
upload_2019-3-4_1-59-51.png

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 220 1545 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:
SV T235
...continued from Opening Actions.

Flipped Nazca around T100 from loyalty.
Spoiler :
0-Flipped Nazca.png

Flailed about warring on my continent because I friended Cleopatra and didn't send quite enough to eliminate Chandragupta. So I upgraded to cav, took out Egypt and cross the seas for Mali. Took him, then Eleanor, then Kupe. One of the positive things about taking all the civs out is global warming is non-existent.
Spoiler :
3-Climate.png

Earned a great prophet on accident and converted Khmer's holy city right before the end after it flipped from loyalty.
Spoiler :
5-Converted Holy City.png

Nothing special about either spaceport city. Just allot of aluminum on the map and the Royal Society which allowed me to spam 6-charge faith summoned builders @ both for most of the process.
Spoiler :
6-Capital.png

Spoiler :
7-Spaceport #2.png

Attachments

• 6otM PACHACUTI 235 1620 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 148
SV T228 / 1947 pts

Started the game playing peacefully. After I got Cuirassiers conquered my continent. In the early I had lots of culture and was afraid of triggering culture victory, but luckily it never happened. I sold some books to them.
It took long time to find scientific city states, but in the end found both Fez and Palenque.

I had Goddess of Harvest Pantheon and Jesuit Education. It is seems very powerful but tedious.

Attachments

• g58_t228_1947p.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • g58_t228.png
    g58_t228.png
    5 MB · Views: 179
  • g58_t228_1947p.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 113
  • g58_t228.png
    g58_t228.png
    5 MB · Views: 172
Since prince games are boring, I decided to spice it up a little. I denied myself Organized religion. Sort of speak, I played an Atheist game. Won scientifically on turn 358.

atheist win.png

around 10 settled, and two Chinese captured

Moar research, and moar money

Atheistic.

at first, no, than I realized I need some culture to get policies.

religious, not at all, and the scientific ones were discovered too late in the game to be of major impact.

Yeah. I didn't know that tunnel functions for all parties as a route. so I had an infestation of barbarians during the middle game.

keep em coming.

Attachments

• ZerrorR PACHA Science 6otm58.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
Science Victory Turn 306, Score 1655.

I settled in place and planned to make this a peaceful game. However, after allying with Egypt, China DoWed them which caused me to auto-DoW China. I wiped out China. Later Khmer DoW'd one of my allies again causing me to auto-DoW, so I took most of their cities and made peace. Then a few turns before I won Khmer DoWed one of my allies again and once again I auto-DoWed and I was just about to ake one of his cities with my GDR when my spaceship reached its destination.

I had several cities with a space port just so I could have multiple laser projects going to speed up the travel time of the space ship. I'm sure I could have finished a lot faster if I had expanded more, remembered to lock settlers to working the science district and ran more science projects.

Attachments

• 6otM58 Sci Vic Score 1655.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 184
SV Turn 331, Score 2075
First time completing one of these GotMs, I think there's a lot I can learn from them, so I'll probably repeat this one a few times to get better at it after reading other AARs
Had the entire continent conquered at T105, and never really bothered with the other continent. Let them do whatever they were going to do.

Don't really know what to prioritize to rush for a science victory, will be reviewing these AARs and hope there's some people stating more of what would be considered "the obvious" for new to speed-running players like myself.

- How many cities did you settle or capture? Captured 9 in total (2 Chinese, 3 Egyptian, 4 Indian), built another 15, mostly with golden age faith builds

Whatever was available, was definitely a confused monkey

Accidentally. With 3 civs eliminated, and only one founded a religion, a GP fell in my lap. Took it

Not really. I had 2 Culture districts total I think

I held status over my island most of the game. Didn't even find a few of them until satellites

Not too sure how to build an empire for a science victory, so it felt like it dragged on quite slowly
Was a golden age every age of the game

By turn 105, the game was "over" in terms of challenge, so the last 200 turns were painfully slow, since I don't have a clear goal as to what I'm pushing for

Attachments

• 6otM58_PACHACUTI 331.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 160
I'll probably repeat this one a few times to get better at it
The best idea, helps you work out what makes things go better. This really helps the painfully slow phase and makes for more strategic thinking... how can I speed it up
since I don't have a clear goal as to what I'm pushing for
Just ask if lost or look in the tips and tricks forum.
In particular
Look at every possible way you can max science without looting (it’s broken and hopefully will change)
Look at what you get when you do a moon landing. And where that will get you.
Look at What the Globalization civic will give you.
Look at the tier 3 government buildings for how you can speed up projects.
Look at buying a spaceport or 2 or 3 and how that will help speed things up.
Look at the possibility of chopping in a project before your government is tier 3.
Which governors do you need at spaceports when.
Which eurekas and inspirations can you get extra to speed things up.

All of the above are the key ingredients to speed up your science and all need to be considered at T80-120 really so you can look around for good sites both in your cities and new cities.

SV T185

Nice campus locations near the start, however no science CS on main continent
Found Palenque really late (it was literally in the last spot on the map that I scouted)
Lack of gold by Prince level AI slowed down the early game
Granada was conquered early by Egypt and then razed down by a CS in a war
Pillaging is not so bad in a Prince level game, since the AIs develop their cities really slowly and are sometimes already pillaged by barbarians (lol). Districts also seem to take longer to repair.
I went with lower culture than usual this game and messed up the Globalization timing a bit
I passed 100% production to campus buildings in a late world congress. If it had showed up early, it could have been a game changer.
Made 5 spaceports total (1 for moon landing, 1 for exoplanet and projects, 3 for projects)

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 185 1240 AD.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
  • Civ6Screen0005.jpg
    Civ6Screen0005.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 259
  • Civ6Screen0006.jpg
    Civ6Screen0006.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 185
Science Victory: Turn 286, Score 2447

Settled 26 (this was all my continent and I made sure there was no room for anyone else)
Captured China: 1, Egypt: 4, India: 5 (and 1 destroyed by Jerusalem)

Whatever had boosts, with science first.

No not really. I was beaten to all the prophets (I wiped out china who had a prophet standing around stonehenge as they were wonder obsessed but their prophet had nowhere to go as no holy site).
I was able to build enough apostals with India's religion (Hindu) to stop the other civ's

No, but I almost won a culture game (only 1 civ left to out culture at the end).
I think I built 3 theatre districts, and each of the civ's I conquered had one. I had to trade away books and paintings to make sure that the other continents civs didn't fall too far behind.

Yes, Buenos Ares kept everyone happy throughout the game.

Evil city state "helpers" wiped out an indian city that I failed to take leaving it on like 1 hp (combat results said I should have taken it wasily, but the dice were against me).
So annoying, but I rebuilt it, though it lost all those 75+ turns of growth
The AI civ's are much more aggressive to each other, the 3 on the other continent were constantly at war with each other.

Very much so. I was clearly going to win from early on I believed, and suddenly I almost lost to a religious rush from Kupe (my friend at the time) that I was ignoring totally.
World congress popped up with kill religious units for +25 favour and saved me as I ritually sacrificed his missionary army.

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 286 1830 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
SV t301 1860AD score 1985

Long boring endgame. No resistance from AI, so I only left 3 of them in the game. I did have a nuclear plant meltdown which was pretty cool... even though it killed 6 traders.:lol:

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 301 1860 ADsv1985sc.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 132
Turn 311, but Julius Caesar points though, so yay. Holy cats, does it take a long time to grind through to a Science Victory now. My timing was totally off, distracted by conquering first my continent then the upstarts in the West, finally get down to business and it takes like 90 Turns from breaking ground on the Spaceport til touchdown on a distant planet. Yuck.

Sticking with Civ tradition, the Inca are ridiculous. And the Inca with Machu Picchu are preposterous. Playing with them makes Deity feel like King.

Attachments

• PACHACUTI GotM 312 1882 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 194
Spoiler :
meltdown0006.jpg
meltdown0007.jpg
Meltdown0008.jpg
meltdown0009.jpg
Meltdown0010.jpg
Unf
do you have a screen cap of the meltdown?
Unfortunetely, no. I just learned how to make a screenshot yesterday, and it gives a .tga file so I'm still struggling with that. I can probably find a save that has it, though... and if I do Ill post it here.

Moderator Action: Added spoiler tags, leif

Last edited by a moderator:
SV Turn 304, Score 1627
AAR #2 (Figured I'd try to share my "repeat" experiences from a learning standpoint)

Did better at using the government plaza for settler+builder and using Royal Society. Better at dropping more campuses, but...

Early game mistakes.
Neglected culture too much. Didn't realize it until I was sitting with Information era techs and medieval era civics.... need to build more theater districts
Missed the pyramids....
Didn't build an encampment until late-game for the resource cap limits. Could have put a bit more military and have an even bigger empire

Mid game mistakes.
Didn't take more cities. Only had 16 at the end-game... No reason militarily I couldn't have had at least 20 in the Knights/Warak'aq rush I had
Hit an Out of Gold problem in the middle. Had no great works to pawn off, no commercial districts. Took a "science break" for about 5-10 turns to fix the gold problem.

Late game mistakes.
Didn't put the governor promotions into Reyna to get Contractor. Probably should do a governor promotion wonder next time. Was short on gov promotions with slow civics
Ended up researching Offworld Mission before Smart Materials, somehow. So lost a turn or two there
Lost a few turns on the finish having only one spaceport (part of the Reyna problem)
End game governors
Magnus +1
Pingala +4
Reyna +2
Liang +2 (wasted one here)
Amani +2

Science Victory T182 (end of turn sequence leading to T183)
One write-up, combined info asked for in both opening actions and after action.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science Victory?
1) First goal was expansion
Overview: settled East and South first to keep the barbarian spamming focused to one front; a bit slow on the exploration to deal with barbarians
2) Goal was to take over my continent, not only for more cities, but to eliminate AI to avoid a CV
Overview: waited for horsemen, then in order India/China/Egypt
3) Then science focus (India annoyingly faith bought Hypatia!)
Overview: Campuses, CommHub/Harbors with Free Inquiry during 2nd GA, Policies
4) Production focus
Overview: Royal Society for faster projects, overbuilt Space Ports – total of 6 by chopping/gold/faith/production x3; ended with double digit light years per turn, which was overkill; T164-First Satellite, T171-Launch Expedition, T182-Victory

- Where did your cities go & what was your build order?
Qusqu
– (T2, 1NW on cattle) - Scout, Settler, Monument, Builder, Scout, Builder, Slinger x2, Settler, T44-Campus, Builder(g), Settler, T49-Gov Plaza, Trader, Ancestral Hall, Slinger, Warrior, Library, Horseman, T79-Commercial Hub
Antawaylla (T21, 2E/2NE of capital) – Monument, Builder, T47-Holy Site, Shrine, T62-Campus, Slinger, Warrior, T70-Granary
Ollantaytambo (T45, 4SE of capital) – Monument, T66-Campus, Library, Builder, Settler
Chucuito (T51, 2W/2NW of capital) – Monument, T60s/70s/80s – Settler/Builder buys with faith
City Count: T61 - 4; T101 - 16; T121 - 23; T182 - 24

- Districts? Holy site (for religion); Campuses galore; then Commercial Hubs / Harbors galore; a few Industrial Complexes, Theaters, and Entertainment Complexes; etc.
- Wonders? T84-Pyramids; T103-Colloseum; T115-Kilwa Kisiwani; T129-Machu Picchu; T137-Apadana; T154-Ruhr Valley (a couple too many, should have skipped MP and Ap)
-Military? 3 Horsemen, 3 Warriors, 3 Archers, 3 Scouts (all eventually upgraded – I think my only loss was an archer to Egypt); 2 Galleys (upgraded)
- Most useful unit? L2 Coursars were nice for pillaging during the Maori 10 turn war

Science – Mining, AH, Pottery, Writing, Astrology; science/production focus
Culture – Pol Phil focus, +science focus
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
Science focus, but synergies as needed (better builders, buy tiles, amenities, etc.);

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
T33-Magnus (chopping), T45-Liang (+1 builders), T49/60/68-Pingala (base/culture/science), T88-Amani (Suz help)

- Did you try for a Pantheon? Did religion play a role in your game?
T17- Pantheon (Goddess of the Harvest), T72-Religion (Jesuit Education / Religious Unity)
Big Help – relic on T9, chopped faith throughout game; during first GA, focused on buying Settlers/Builders with faith; during second GA I focused on buying libraries/universities in low production cities; eventually bought/built research labs

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
All Golden Ages; T61- Monumentality (expansion focus); T121-Free Inquiry (science focus); T181-Monumentality

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
T21-China, T30-Egypt, T59-India; I didn’t want to meet others early, but on T93 met Khmer as they had a galley meet Kumasi, who I was Suz of; fast after I destroyed Egypt on T114, last one met was T122-England; I started all the wars, but other continent was generally friendly; only one war over there from T133-143 with Maori to liberate Palenque and pillage the other cities (no others captured); didn’t go to war with the others as there was little to pillage due to barbarian pillaging; had military in waiting in case CV got too close

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Helpful?
T29-Granada was my first and didn’t meet all 7 on my continent until T66; I didn’t head to other continent until after T114 when I integrated Egypt, finding that Palenque had been captured – liberated it on T134; assimilated Nazca/Jerusalem, eventually Suz of the other 10

- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
Not a focus early, but did start with internal trade routes; then focused on using the Kumasi bonus

- Was diplomacy useful? How?
All 3 wars on my continent were surprise wars; on other continent only one war, joining England against Maori; generally traded whatever I had available for all the gold I could get from them to include getting rid of tourism generating items to avoid a culture victory; purposely rarely took open borders to avoid tourism bonus, but freely gave it for better relations

- How were the Barbarians?
Seemed to be spamming a lot on this one, but nothing unmanageable

1) Took a while to find CS’s due to my search pattern (S-NE-NW to start), but ended up using Diplomatic League to better make use of envoys
2) India faith buying Hypatia, which I didn’t expect at this difficulty; also didn’t get Isaak Newton until T145 due to the 600+ recruitment points needed for the 1st Renaissance Era GS
3) Meeting Khmer so early, was able to declare friendship before the grievances for surprise wars added up

Awesome, loving 6OTM and Gathering Storm!

Spoiler Pictures, T61/101/121/182 :
6OTM 58 T61.jpg
6OTM 58 T101.jpg
6OTM 58 T121.jpg
6OTM 58 T182.jpg

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 183 1220 AD win+1.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 181
  • PACHACUTI 101 375 BC.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
SV 311. My first science game in the expansion. I am surprised how slow they have made it, seems like a peaceful sub300 win is already quite tough. I had no idea about the techs required for the last space phase and thus just randomly went for the hidden techs. I wonder if they are always in the same spots, or randomly located?

This game was peaceful, got quite a few wonders and in the end bought 3 spaceports. Prince level AI pillaged one of them with a spy. Inca seems like a good civ. I was a bit confused when I should build a terrace and when a mine. Seems like the workable mountains are quite lame as at best you can get 4 food/2 prod, which is not that great. I did not build a single of those mountain tunnels. Also UU I did not use really in this game.

Attachments

• PACHACUTI 312 1882 AD.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 121
Top Bottom