6otM58 OAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 58 Opening Actions thread.
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
- Where did you settle your cities?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- How did you place your districts?
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- Were your neighbors peaceful?
- Any surprises?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Spoiler :

upload_2019-3-3_13-25-53.png

I was all over the place, not right in the head today. Mining(early prod good), then writing (for campus/govt building), then sailing (to get a builder sailing).. then sort of lost iot and went a bit here and there. I wanted to time two attacks with knights and Waraq'aq but my knights have gone a little early. When I say early I mean T95 which is pitifully slow for prince)... still at least the opposition look like they are both low skill and have build campuses.
Scout, builder, settler, monument, builder.
Campus.. I went all fancy with adjacencies and got +5,+5,+5,+4 +3 so at least something is good... and I got Hypatia for once, so not all bad, I know I am slow but enjoying the game.
Thermal vents a givemn at +2, map in spoiler above
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
I have built 7 and captured 1. I am hoping for another 7 in the next 20 turns, still too few but you canot win them all. Sometimes I think prince is such a hard level because there is so little gold around.
There should really be a governor question as I would be interested to see how people do. I went Amani (for Kumasi) then Magnis x2 then pin x3
Civic card wise , I went for givt building forst and have badly left theaters.... sigh
I have 24 envoys placed and 3 spare... Palenque has been taken by the evil elanor and have 'pre booked' and emergency vote for the medievil period... finders croissed although she has a lot of votes.
completely
- Any surprises?
Just how slow I feel like I am playing

- Where did you settle your cities? Forward, toward China.
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Rushed animal husbandry for horses, then got to horsemanship in a moderate amount of time as I was settling out, started an encampment, maxed my horses, finished the stable, started creating horses.
- What was your build order? Builder/Settler/Slinger
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Waited some time. Concentrated on settlers. A couple of campus districts, commercial, and an encampment.
- How did you place your districts? There are allot of +4 campus districts on this map.
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? 9 cities total. 8 internal, 1 Chinese (Xian).
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Reasonably efficiently for once.
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Sent 1 envoy to Kumasi and Nan Madol for the culture.
- Were your neighbors peaceful? I declared on all of them at some point. Other than that, yes.
- Any surprises? I was thinking playing on prince would be some fun to experiment with the unique unit. But the idea of building a bunch of scouts, accumulating experience while slotting the +100% recon unit card rather than just straight out building horses in the capital for courser upgrade is one of those things that I imagine for a game but never really get around to doing. I did build 2 scouts just now (as I didn’t have enough horses for another unit).

Just hit coursers and finished China. Egypt should fall with relative ease. I mean how many Maryannu archers can she possibly have? Edit: Whoops, I am friends with Cleo.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 3_3_2019 12_16_27 PM.png

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 3_3_2019 12_16_38 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi all; this is my first "of the month" and the Inca are my new favorite Civ.

See spoiler map but I settled behind the shield wall of the mighty Willkanuta Range (only three but on verge of expansion)

Research pretty broad so far. Policies to favor builders mostly.

Slinger > Scout > Builder > Monument > Settler

Two Holy sites, one Harbor, two Aqueducts.

Trying to keep the hills available for terrace farming mostly so anywhere else.

No, I went tall but expansion is in the plans. (details in spoiler)

Pingala and first two promotions (Science/Culture per Citizen) and just recently religion guy for 100% pressure

I have met perhaps all CS on the starting continent; there is only a small unrevealed corner in the far NW corner. I am Suzerain to a Cultural and Industrial CS far to the west of me. I have my eye on conquering a nearby Religious one and liberating another.

So far, and so have I. China and Egypt to the north have fought each other, India felled a CS which I was friendly with so I Denounced and they are in my sights as I gear up for war.

- Any surprises?
How about that mountain range huh? Qhapaq Nan anyone? Also I have just encountered a Civ from across the sea. I haven't played Prince difficulty since forever and am enjoying the change of pace.

Spoiler map at turn 105 plus some not-very-spoilery text :

In the past 5 or 10 turns I have founded my religion (had prophet, waited until second Holy site was done. Met a Civ (Maori) from across the sea. Finished my first wonder; Machu Pichu naturally. I'm just about to found a couple of cities. One North on the Chinchipe River and the other West on the Maule. Then I plan to go on to war footing. I'm planning on taking Nazca (Suzerain India) next. I'll feint an attack from Chan Chan from the northeast but the real forces will come via the Quapaq Nan and thru the Atacama Desert. After that I will take a couple cities and liberate Jerusalem. #Crusades

Hi all; this is my first "of the month" and the Inca are my new favorite Civ.
Welcome to Game of the Month.

Good luck in your games! :thumbsup:

Turn 110. I have 8 cities, 6 settled and 2 captured. Neither China nor Egypt have stood the test of time and neither extended beyond their capital cities. This means less cities for me and more empty space for barb camps. I moved the settler N to the marsh tile before settling, I built a scout (not a typical first build but I was looking to upgrade to the UU) then settler, slinger, builder, 2 x warrior, 2 x slinger. I managed to take out some barbs and a camp during my initial scouting and soon met China, who were suffering from barb incursions. I conquered them with warriors and archers. Egypt required swords to conquer and I now have muskets and knights to attack India and secure the continent:- they appear to be the most advanced AI civ at present. I have just upgraded my 2 triremes to caravels and am heading across the ocean to find the other AI. Annoyingly, I have lost 2 scouts to barb hordes so maybe no UU this game.

I have a great set of +3 to +5 Science campuses (Geothermal vents make this much easier than before) and am building up theatre squares and industrial zones. Slow going when you have to settle / grow rather than capture cities. Beginning to get terrace farms in place and seeing their potential when placed on riverbanks.

Spoiler :

that upper most city is probably a bit later than turn 100.

Umm.. I went for everything that I could find science bonus on :D
I think I got blinded by terrace farms so I built too many and stuff ended kidnapped and pillaged .. plus amenity probs at start
science > rest.
Poorly, I had planned everything to get as much science as possible, but when I planted my first campus I had already forgotten it my plan...
Tried to, but barbarians caused "trouble".. 5 :mischief:
focused on science and tried to avoid those +2 gpp cards.
the faith one was the only one at start, but after it I tried to get buenos aires.
Yes, thought I think I gotta show china some :borg:
- Any surprises?
Barbarians caused more trouble on an easier difficulty and I forgot that aqueduct bonus :cringe:

Attachments

• Inca1.png
    Inca1.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 753
Last edited:

This game was my introduction to the joy of Qapaq Nan. I just settled around the central mountain range, wherever I could plop down a decent campus, with every city able to have a mountain tunnel linking to its radius it was a lot of fun being able to drop builders and millitary units wherever they were needed more or less instantly. I did forward settle Chandragupta a bit, which is a dangerous strategy I guess.

Spoiler City Placement :

Mining and animal handling for my infrastructure, then writing

Scout, builder, settler, (purchased slinger) builder, slinger/archer, settler

In the classical era I started building my campuses. I was crap at placing my government district though and ironically I wish I'd prioritized Macchu Picchu to get better theater squares

I placed them around those tasty geothermal vents for as much adjacency as I could.... And then realised I could have gotten at least another +4 or +5 campus if I'd thought about things better

7 cities in the first 100 turns, I decided to RP a peaceful isolationist game.

Nothing out of the ordinary, beelined the +100% campus adjacency

It took me ages to meet the scientific city states so I spread my envoys around a bit at first. Buenos Aires was easy to win over.

Yeah, oddly. I expected Chandragupta to hate me.

- Any surprises?

Barbarians make use of Qapaq Nan. I was not expecting that.

Opted to place the 1st city on the cows next to the settler. I figured I wouldn't miss them with all the potential terrace farms, and that spot allowed me to place an aqueduct on the marsh that'd support 3 terrace farms. I was also gambling for a good campus hub on the other side of the range; it looked like it curved inward on the western side.

I put my 2nd city at the mouth of the river to protect my northern border, then nested the 3rd and 4th in the mountain arcs. My 5th city went on top of the iron near the floodplain on the west side of the mountains.

After grabbing the basics, I beelined for Education, only to remember that I wanted to build Machu Pichu. So, around turn 60 I backtracked and refocused on Engineering. I still managed Education just before turn 100.

Scout, Settler, Settler, Campus, Settler, Monolith.

By turn 20, when the first settler was finished, I had already met a few city states and scouted enough to realize there were no threatening civs or barb territory. So I focused on getting my early cities up, then on science and culture production. My second city supplied the units.

Splendid campus around turn 37, but I didn't follow it with another district until turn 70 or so. By turn 100 I had two campuses, an encampment, a commercial hub, plus an additional hub and IZ under construction.

I waited for Machu Pichu then agonized over a tile-by-tile cost-benefit analysis of terrace farms vs districts.

No. After placing my "border" city against distant China, I focused on nestling my cities in the mountains. At turn 100 I have 5 cities with plans for 2 more to the south, and I think there's enough empty land for each neighbor to add 2 more cities before they encroach on my territory.

Went after Early Empire to boost settlers, then alternated between boosting production and income. I took Divine Spark as my pantheon and slotted the GS wildcard policy. Together with an early project, I managed to grab two Great Scientists, and more importantly push the cost of the next one beyond what the AI can currently manage. I'll maintain an easy lead as I construct more buildings.

I met most of the ones to the west before anyone else; India must have missed them. I grabbed Granada for the culture improvements, to make up for the lack of theater squares. I also grabbed Buenos Aires for the era points.

So far, yes. I'll start some pillaging wars in the late medieval era, when I have some production to spare.

- Any surprises?
My game crashed at turn 98. Some civ going for a quick science victory must have already launched the nukes.

Last edited:
Report @ Turn 100. This is a replay, so I had some map knowledge

I've attached the map of the empire at turn 100. Generally expanded northwards towards China and Egypt.

Prioritized research, and getting to rocketry. Still a lot of ways of however.

Scout, Builder, Settler, Monument...

Around turn 35, build the Govt. Plaza and the first Campus. Prioritized Campuses everywhere, just started building commercial hubs.

Geothermal fissure bonus. Some very good adjacency bonuses on this map.

Settled 6 cities and conquered 2.

Urban Planning, Colonization, Natural History of course... nothing fancy

The religious ones helped a bit.

They were. I took out China and prepare taking out Egypt :lol:

- Any surprises?
Many barbarians. :crazyeye: No scientific city states.

Not sure I will continue this game, as I've played enough science victories, and this one will drag on. Interesing game nonetheless, thank you so much 6otM team :thumbsup:

Attachments

• empire.jpg
    empire.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
T100. Not going as well as I thought I might be. Progress has seemed slow. Aiming for a T250 victory

Marsh to the west on T2. Now have 5 cities total. AI have all expanded away from me. I have two forward settled cities near china - one on the coast and one to the west in the hook of the river. One other city in the mountain range to the west (which I stupidly didn't settle next to the river - finally have an aqueduct in place), and one other city almost due east on the coast. T2, T34, T52, T65, T95.

Nothing exciting about civics, although now beelining a 6 governance card government (the one up the very top - can't remember the name!). Science I am focusing on beelining spaceport, but veering off where needed.

Scout, monument, settler, slinger, settler, science district ...

I have three science districts up and running, each with a library. Government plaza built and one commercial district. A harbour and another commercial district about to come online. Not a lot of gold, so need traders.

I think all science are +4. Even commercial/districts have decent adjacency. Good map for that.

Built 5. Have captured none. Playing peaceful, for the moment. Very small army.

I popped a relic from a goody hut, so have had urban planning rather than god king locked in. Otherwise bouncing around them as i need them. Low gold so had the one that offers +2 gold per trade route, so gold is at least climbing. slowly.

Met all of the ones on my continent, and just met Fez (finally a science one!) and a commercial one (can't recall name) on another land mass. Lack of science CS not great.

Yes. Very. India has captured auckland, but otherwise all calm. they are expanding away from me, which is great. Have met Maori from other continent, but that is because they sailed by a coastal city. Haven't found other continent yet (I think my two new CS friends are on an island - although still exploring).

- Any surprises?

Not really. I don't really like Inca. Nothing about its special abilities thrills me. But i like science victories, and this will be my first attempt on GS. Will be interesting if it becomes too grindy.
A fair few barbs, but none really hassling me. Taking care of most camps as they spawn, but i think they might by slowing down the AI a bit. The other side of the mountain range down south is a barb party. There are heaps, and I have not had the energy to clear out. Hoping CS or AI take care of it for me. But haven't done so so far!
Monumentality for first Golden Age is a favourite of mine. Builders and settlers with faith - so great - especially with a relic. Building a holy site as well, as lots of faith means I might pick monumentality again if it get second Golden Age.

Top Bottom