1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM61 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Apr 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM61 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - Did you send anyone to the dustbin of history?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU? Was it useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  2. JoZilla

JoZilla Chieftain

Culture victory T209 / 1568pts

- Settled 11, captured many.

Early game horsemen. Later Flight so I can get tourism from open air museums and Moai. Also targeted all policies, which give tourism cards.

- Captured all but one city from Seondok, but the last city flipped so she was destroyed. Gorgo had massive domestic culture so I had to wipe her out.

- Early game horsemen, which were upgraded to coursers and later to cavalries. No navy.

- I created one in last 5 turns, but didn't use it. Might have been good with oligarchy. Coursers were not very strong in the mid game.

- Horsemen and builders.

- I had bad relations whole game.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?

- Rapa nui helped to boost culture.

- I was thinking about it, but soon realised I could not get a religion in time. I don't know if I could use triple tourism belief from the religion of captured cities.

- Plan was to have books, great works of art, open air museums, and moai for culture.

- Two golden ages (+1 culture for districts in the first, new cities start with +4pop in the later)

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Not a single city flipped while conquering, but had to use governors and some policy cards.

- France with defender of faith was little tricky. Had to wait for cavalry.

- It was fun and not any big set backs.

Attached Files:

3. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

Whew... t232 peaceful CV (darned Greece! Even with just a cluster of cities too many tourists!... bad rolls on rock bands too; 8 bands without any single one surviving to lvl 2... the only single band with album cover art died at their first concert on Oracle)

Which meant I had to grind it out with base tourism (and thanks to the INSANE culture output Sweden gets, the tourism goes very high indeed).

Spoiler :

upload_2019-4-15_23-15-8.png

As lake Retba no longer gives freshwater, looked at settler lens and decided to move to the river inland.

However, that proved to be putting myself too close to Korea in an open position.
    REALLY slow start to the game as Korea was threatening my borders... had to offer some gifts to finally get peace. 2 cities at t90... Still, with lots of friends I made a fortune selling horses.

Nothing much, just a builder game with ZERO classical writers earned. Still, managed St. Michel and Basil and yes you CAN theme relics and they get double faith. Here Basil generated more tourists than my theatre square with Pingala... quite impressive.

Settled 10 or so? (last minute settling the island across the world to get trade route to Greece) obtained some cities and city states through flips (braindead AI conquering CS it could not keep through loyalty). The most painful one was losing Rapa Nui... Final empire is as map shows.

Attached Files:

4. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

Ended up with 14... self-settled I think 10 or 11

Nationalism and flight

No, I'm always such a nice guy... (Korea would've been tough anyways!)

3 archers and 3 privateers, 2 galleys and 1 quadrireme for Eureka. One horse for golden age points

Utterly useless

The builder

Got lots of money being a horse breeder... later on as the world collapsed into perpetual war, was the only one civ friends/allies with everyone. So luxury copies were also going at 13 gpt during medieval. Bought lots of land to chop and amphitheatres that way.

Wish Rapa Nui had survived, but made do with Cahokia (free housing which is priceless for coastal cities) and La Venta later.

Nope...

Spam heads and museums? Prioritize gold and just bought archeologiests straight up.

1 dark (purposefully, the first one) 1 heroic and rest golden.

Cultural alliance... once you get your cluster down change alliance type and start the flips!

Rapa Nui dying... (Egypt was being braindead and just keep shooting at it with the UU and not keeping a melee unit around to actually take the city)... eventually she figured it out though.
    Greece snatching all the useful favorite early wonders alone (Oracle, Pyras, ToA)... unfortunately, starting dirt was not good enough to get any early wonders... Apadana was gone before I got the civic. Once Wisselbanken arrived the capital finally was able to produce world wonders in reasonable time. (still, I learned, she is no 10+ relic Kongo who can crunch out midgame wonders under 10 turns so I decided to chop them in instead (put Basil somewhere else as capital too weak)

How could Greece have 300+ cpt with just that many cities and only Vilnius remaining is surprising... she does not even have any suzereinties.

Korea being the usual early game jerkass (of course, my science would be low early!) but rather surprised that the AI had left a lot of useful city spots open (thought I would have to settle lots of crappy cities). Dealing with it is simply just abusing monumentality and chain-settling with Magnus. Cahokia mounds make the coastal cities growable to a workable size.

As someone who is used to hard-building 3-4 early wonders with Kongo... this was a bit of a struggle. Sweden has no mechanism to get high production OR pop in a city until Wisselbanken... not nearly enough hills for my taste (and Pingala's promos nowhere near as useful, but good enough).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  5. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

CV T133

After getting surprise DoW'd by Korea, I took two of her cities which ended up being just a little a bit over the 150 grievances she had inflicted me.
    I pillaged most of her tiles and districts which allowed me to get early printing press considering there were no great campus locations near the starting position.

Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Despite having an alliance with Egypt and being suzerain of Rapa Nui, Cleo decided to DoW it. She only sent maryannu chariot archer and catapults which gave me the time to send my units to block off the melee units she later sent.
    I would gladly have spent my favor for her to make peace with Rapa Nui, but alas the game has no such option.
    I also got a nice theater square with +20 culture adjacency bonus with Vilnius and level 1 alliance.
    The game ended before I reached flight, but Rapa Nui would have been a killer. You can spam the UI everywhere in huge clusters.

What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
    In my opinion, Sweden is one of the best civilization for CV, because of the Nobel prize ability which grants her 50 DF per great person recruited.
    AIs were willing to pay around 10 to 25 gold for 1 DF
    So for each great person recruited, I got the equivalent of 500 to 1250 gold.
    I passed 100% GPP for GWs during the first world congress and then bought GWoWs from Gorgo for the equivalent of around 600 gold a piece (when I had the space to place them).

Attached Files:

Casualty of war likes this.
  6. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

Apadana is part of a DLC which was not included in this game.

7. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

T133 CV

Settled on olives. Sold olives and purchased settler. Didn't hard built nor chop settlers. Rest of the settlers were faith purchased. Ended up having 18 cities (3 captured from Korea).

I was prepared to faith purchase great prophet (if needed). Stonehenge was still available around T40 so I chopped it.

Korea was nuisance throughout the game. When Korea marched her troops near my borders for the first time, I purchased one horseman (around T65-70). That was enough to scare her off.

Then around T100 Korea finally surprise dow'd. This time she had knights and I had only one horseman and 3x archers. Upgraded archers into xbows + chopped more xbows + purchased some knights. Heck, I lost couple of xbows + knights. Never before I have seen so good troop movement from AI. Finally, the war ended up when I had done some pillaging + conquered 3 of her cities.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

For some reason I couldn't build Moais next to each other. Took me some time to realize that you are supposed to spam Moais in clusters. So I saved, quit the game and reloaded. After that I was able to built Moais next to each other. The problem didn't go away entirely: I could build Moai in some hexes but not in every hex I wanted.

Spoiler Scout on special mission :

Scout sitting on Korea's one and only ready holy site. Blocking Korea's great prophet from forming religion.
    Korea formed religion only after open borders expired and my scout was teleported to a far away location.

Spoiler Winning screenshot :

Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

8. Tannhauser

Tannhauser Chieftain

Fail T144 OCC attempt

I wanted to win with one city only, by capitilizing on the (seemingly) insane combo reliquaries+st Basil+theming.
    To do so, I focused on getting a religion, converting 6 cities for theology eureka, getting mount st michel, St Basil. I secured Mahabodi temple along the way, the 2 apostles had martyr and got me 2 nice early relics.

I stopped at T144, St Basil got completed by Cleopatra only a few turns after I reached theocracy.

I also misinterpreted the theming bonus that Kristina gets. I expected to double the total yield of the relics stored in my wonders, so a toursim multiplier of 3(reliquaries)*2(theming)*2(st basil) = 12. But instead, the theming bonus applies to the base yield (8 tourism) of the relic, making the overall multiplier *only* 8 (see screenshot with *4 reliquaries+theming in St Michel). This considered, I'm not sure I would generate enough toursim even with st basil. 64 toursim*5 relics = 320 tourism. +~150 from other sources means <500 overall to compare with the 500/700 that DanQuayle and Pahakuuti had to win T133. Not mentioning the religious toursim reduction for different religion and enlightenment.

The game was still fun (thanks!) and I think I'll give it another try, one city or not

1, settled in place

Mining, Astrology, irrigation, archery
    State worforce, Pol. Phi., Theology, Divine right, Reformed Church

- Only one war with Korea, quite late as I didn't forward settle them. She attacked about T125 with her UUs and a GG, quite easily defended with city walls+garisonned crossbowman and theology+military alliance bonuses, though I lost 2 crossbowmen oneshot by the UU...

Well, the military alliance with France helped a little, along with the emergency to liberate Rapa Nui from Korea. That opened a war on her North front and diverted the strength of her attack from my city.

But I don't like how diplomatic favors are overvalued by the AI right now (almost 1gpt for 1DF). Amani 1st is very strong as an early suzerainship is worth so much gold. I didn't benefit much from it in this game but I know from a previous one that the +50 DF per gp is insane as DanQuayle mentionned.

Key. I wanted an early religion to secure reliquaries, so I didn't gamble on stonehenge (should have, it was built so late). Took holy order too. At first, early missionary investment to convert 6 cities to the eureka, Tamar and Cleo started spamming missionaries fast.

normal, golden (exodus), dark(exodus). No.

Quiet barbs, peaceful neighbour early, Stonehenge built late, St Basil built early :(

Attached Files:

9. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

CV t429 score 4049
    A long hard slog!
    Didn't win until I eliminated every civ except Tamar(Georgian).
    I truly do not see how folks do it in 133 turns! By that time, I was still fighting off Korea and struggling with loyalty.

Attached Files:

10. Gaonac'h

Gaonac'h Chieftain

CV turn 131

Settled 7 and captured around 38.
    Settled my early cities for luxuries and later one for trees.
    Irigation to sell early luxuries and then horsemen/coursers/knights and flight/computers. I could have reach computers 2 turns early but Dido beat me to the Alhambra just when I was about to finish it.
    I had to wiped out Gorgo.
    Early archers to deal with barbarians then Knights/Coursers for conquest. And some privateers in the end, mostly for the eureka.
    Tried to hit more eurekas than usual, such as killing a unit with a spearman, you just have to find a barb camp and build a spearman.
    No.
    Builders.
    I really don't like diplomacy right now, I think it's broken. You shouldn't be able to trade diplomatic favors.
    I had to liberated Brussels twice since Netherland was being annoying.
    No.
    Wanted to build some early theatre square but after meeting Rapa nui I decided to power up the science as much as possible.
    Was maybe a mistake since Gorgo was getting all great writers and I couldn't reach her as fast as I wanted to so I had to send her to the dustbin of history.
    Classical normal age and then all goldens.
    I had too many units for loyalty to be a problem.
    Mountains everywhere, was pretty tough to move troops around, had to declare and take some cities state to be able to cross the map.
    Also there seem to be a weird bug if you are coastal raiding a civilian with a naval unit.
    Spoiler :

So after the patch... I think pillaging is still way too powerful, they should have made it so it scale per era of the game (12 yelds in ancient/25 in classical/etc...) rather than making it scale on player progression. It would still be strong but not gamebreaking as right now.
    Havn't make a big use of Kristina abilities, I forgot about the Open-air museum and didn't build the Queen bibliothèque.
    But still really enjoyed the game as the map was very different from what I usually play and it made conquest interesting. It felt like a race to reach Gorgo toward the end.
    Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

DanQuayle likes this.
  11. mentos15

mentos15 Chieftain

Culture Victory, Turn 360.

So, despite my turn 100 OAR predicting a loss, I was able to hang on for a win. I'm not particularly proud of it, as it feels like the AIs shot themselves in the foot and I won by default.
    There was a point around turn 200 where Gorgo was the Tourism leader and it was a comfortable lead over me (in 3rd), but one of the visible "mistakes" as far as I could tell Gorgo took Synthetic Technocracy for a T4 government... which seems like a pretty poor play when the Culture Victory Condition was well in hand for her. So, I was able to win primarily due to spamming settlers to less desirable locations adding the Open Air Museum and pushing hard on Archaeologists/Artifacts, plundering other Civs arch sites. I failed to get Cristo Redentor, I did get Eiffel, which afforded me a couple extra seaside resorts. It turns out my brief war on Korea resulted in their being pinned in as I was able to settle the nearly the entire eastern coast. Late game was a Spy assault stealing great works from Gorgo to hopefully stall their culture and somewhat advance mine. I probably got about 5 or 6 GWoWriting from it, and that helped complete a theming on Wonders I otherwise would not have had (Oxford, Bolshoi?)

Captured None
    Settled 15

Early game focused on Horsemen and Military, late game focused on Tourism

No. Again, probably should have been more aggressive, especially with the Culture leaders.

Early Game Horsemen and Archers. Did not really upgrade previous units beyond medieval / Industrial era, as things became peaceful. Only Navy was 1 Sub, 1 Carrier.

I built one for Era Score, parked it in border encampment and he stayed there for rest of game.

Horse and Archers helped Raze a forward settled Korean City. Otherwise all Builders / Archaeologists / Spies.

Not particularly, other than keeping open borders and trade routes open.

Rapa Nui changed hands a couple of times, with Egypt conquering, then Korea liberating. I wanted nothing to do with that choke point. Ended game with 3-4 Suzerains.

No.

Theater squares and Great Works and Open Air Museums. I was way late on TS as Gorgo ate up nearly all Great Writers.

First age was Dark, after that, Normal ages until the end. so, pretty mediocre and no real strategy..

There were a few late-ish game spots I would have liked to settled but were firmly in the -20 Zone of Elanor and Gorgo.

The only surprise was that the game was not won before I could claw out a Victory.

Always. But it was a bit grindy at the end...

Attached Files:

12. Archaelicos

Archaelicos Chieftain

CV 314.

I'm not going to go dig up my save unless anybody asks for it, but here's a screen cap to prove the win. Answers to questions below.

20190428154421_1.jpg

I think I had 10 on the mainland, then I added 3 more late - one an island to get trades to Dido, Willie, and Gorgo, and two more just for extra OAMs.

Nothing in particular early on. I did try to get to museums ASAP and then tourism-focused policy cards. Beyond that I chased Gorgo's civics to match governments.

Nope, I didn't take a single city. I had 3 wars, one early intense war with Korea, then two wars borne of emergencies that I stupidly participated in. They just set me back.

I think I had 2-3 warriors and 2-3 archers, maybe a spearman, and 2 galleys. I never upgraded anything past crossbowmen.

Never built one. In hindsight, I should have for era score.

Builders, probably, but that's a boring answer, so I'll say rock bands, I actually got two of them to last more than one concert and accelerate the game from a 40-turn win cycle to 1 in turn in very short order.

Extremely. The city state selection sucked and Cleo took out the only culture CS. But, I maintained friendships with my neighbors for the most part and was able to sell off favor and resources to buy buildings.

Not particularly. I didn't make faith an early priority so I was late getting faith going. Even with a late start I was able to crank out about 5-6 rock bands, which wound up being enough. I was so far ahead in civics that I got the "choose your promotion" card for the last 3, that helped.

Virtually none, I disregarded it entirely.

Basically to spread out, get 1 city on each of the 5 terrain types, and then spam out OAMs in every city. I capped that off with Bolshy, Bibliotheque, Natural History Museum, and a ton of archaeologists. I went around picking up artifacts in foreign lands and then getting favor when they asked me to stop, which I then sold back to the AI for space bucks.

No dark ages. I think 3 or 4 golden ages. I didn't have any particular strategy other than to try to hit GAs at the end for Wish You Were Here. I almost missed on the last one, I was short by 2 era score, so I just borrowed about 2,000 gold from the AI and levied a CS to get the last few points.

Wasn't much of an issue. Early on Korea put on some pressure but I filled in some spacing gaps with crappy cities to even up the population, bought some monuments, threw governers at the border cities, never really had a problem.

Not really. Other than that all of the leaders were women. Maybe that was in the OP and part of the point of this game and I just missed it, but I noticed right near the end that all the AIs were female. Nothing to deal with, just kind of neat. I supposed I was surprised at how many civs were deep into the space race while I was still 100 turns away from a CV, but man, they suck at closing it out. Also surprised at their defense against spies, the AI is usually really bad at that. They did a much better job this time preventing me from sabotating spaceports all over the place.

Mostly, yes. This is my first ever deity CV, and only my third ever win on deity level, period. I find the CV a very frustrating strategy because it feels like a LOT of just waiting around, and I don't really like the rock band mechanic. It feels too RNG and kind of lacks a strategic element. But, I do enjoy spamming out the GP and the auto-theming feature of Sweden is terrific. I didn't end up using much of Kristen's Nobel stuff. If anything, it kind of screwed me up because I couldn't give away any favor for 30 turns to get money, and during that time period, two emergencies expired that handed 200 favor to two different AI players. I still won the contest easily, but that annoyed me.

Once again, the global warming mechanic is just utterly stupid and pointless. I either just settle around it and ignore it or chop in flood barriers and ignore it. It badly needs further adjustment. It's so badly implemented that it's not fun or interesting, and it adds virtually nothing to the game. I really like the idea of building a green civ and reversing global warming and seeing that play out, but the way they've built it, there's no point in even bothering.

13. Halfdan Helgrim

Halfdan Helgrim Chieftain

CV 336

Think around 8 and captured about 6 from Korea.

Was not really focused.

Korea was twice eliminated due to pressure from Eleanor. I had to liberate it twice to not loose the tourism.

A little bit of everything.

I did build a couple and not particular useful, but the Museum improvement was very nice.

Had a rank 7 machine gun army at the end, but it was probably my rank 4 rockband that was the most useful.

I was allied with Eleanor most of the game and that probably held Korea in check. Chose the military alliance which was nice.

Rapa Nui and Brunei were both conquered, but I managed to liberate them. So the maoi status were nice even though I should probably have spammed them more. Also used the item from Cahokia, 1 in each city.

I did not go for a religion, but I should have gone for faith anyway as missing out on rock bands delayed the game a lot.

No real strategy. Just build as many cities with Theaters.

One golden age in the end rest was normal - no strategy.

Just put a Governor if was needed.

A lot. I settled my second city west, which Korea did a surprise attack on, but I managed to get it back a couple of turns later. Korea was really ahead in science and I saw some really nasty units, but he never used them - they just travelled back and forth. After I conquered the first two Korean city an Emergency happend which Egypt took part in - they rushed the emergency city which was without walls with knights. Had to use a couple of turns to get it back. Eleanor was a culture powerhouse and the best strategy would have been a pure domination strategy. The flipping of the Korean city to Eleanor twice probably delayed me 30 turns. Not having faith delayed me probably another 30 turns. Eleanor did build a couple of fighters and jet fighters and even used them, which was very nice to see.

At times, but there was no real challenge even though it was deity. In war I had fewer and weaker units, but was still able to win because AI was just moving troops back and forth and sometimes not shooting with units or cities. Egypt just sent a long row of anti-cavalry into my territory that did nothing at all other than getting shoot to pieces. At turn 336 none of the other AIs were even close to a victory of any kind. So the patches have not helped.

Attached Files:

14. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

Turn 390 Science loss to Korea. I was 5 turns from CV. Last 150 turns or so mostly clicking next turn, so this is not a good reward for that hard work. I had spies, but was too lazy to monitor SV more closely and use the offensively in Korea. Surprised that Korea managed that, despite it losing 2 cities quite late game to France. One Korea lost to me after a long early war. I was lucky that Korea used mainly siege units and lacked melee to capture my (and everybody else's) forward settled city. I had quite a few good Swedish cities including one on all terrain types. I got my first GW really late and majority of tourism came from terrain. It was a shame that most CS got captured and I could enjoy only some statues on my terrain. Though Rapa Nui ended up being my city in mid game, because I did not see the culture from it as useful that late.

Quite a fun game. I should try to see the cultural runaways and attack them quite early, as some people here do. In this game it was quite self evident who they would be, though their positions were quite tricky for attacking them, though I did build a navy. It seems that if the enemy is scientifically superior, your bombardments do not do much harm to them despite you having better units, which is not very fun.

15. Wolfenlane

Wolfenlane Chieftain

CV 326 turn

That was a long almost peacefull game (capured 4 cities from Korea). I tried to focus Cultural districts, along with collecting faith to buy rock bands. One lucky band won this game for me. Played concerts in every great wonder on the map with this one.
    Thanks for nice gotm.

Attached Files:

16. arthur486

arthur486 Chieftain

CV @ Turn 187
    • Got early DoW'ed by Korea, took all her cities except 1.
    • Won an emergency to recapture Rapa Nui from Egypt, in which I succeeded. For some reason, just like @pahakuutti I could not place Moai wherever I wanted. Could not figure out exactly why.
    • I went with GWAMS + Moais + Collosal Heads
    • Both Gorgo and Eleanor had massive domestic tourism, but Gorgo was more ahead, so I attacked and reigned her in in the end.
    • In the end also tried rock bands but just like @kb27787 did not have any luck with them :sad:
    Thank you for the game @leif erikson and very nice idea to have only female leaders :queen:

17. leif erikson

Thank you for noticing. :thumbsup:

18. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

Moai cannot be placed next to wood and rainforest tiles. Could that be the reason?

19. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

CV in T169

Don't remember all details about my game because I was only able to spend 1-2 hours per week.

My strategy was roughly like that:
    - DoW on all but one Civ to weaken their culture and grab their writings
    - Build a strategic alliance with the remaining leader (in this case Dido)
    - Make friendship with anyone far away to be able to sell as much amenities and diplomatic favour as possible to buy units, when friendship runs out, denounce and attack
    - Go for strong religion to faith buy settlers
    - Focus on relics for ealry religious culture win (which turned out to be a bad choice, should have gone for jesuit education an faith buying campus and theatre district buildings instead)

My strategy slightly changed during the game:
    - After discovering Rapa Nui: focus on Monumentality Golden Ages -> chop, chop, chop, Moai, Moai, Moai
    - After meeting Gorgo: hurry up you lazy troops of mine, slay them all!

I enjoyed this game very much since it was much different from what I usually play. Thanks for the game @leif erikson!

Attached Files:

20. leif erikson