1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM62 opening action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, May 2, 2019.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 62 Opening Actions thread.
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
    - Where did you settle your cities?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. kb27787

kb27787 Chieftain

Spoiler :

upload_2019-5-6_16-6-7.png

Playing on deity mode of the map provided in the announcement thread. I love isolated starts!!! 3rd hut gave me a relic, but both Earth Goddess and Harvest were gone by that time... settled for +1 culture from pastures.

Not much in the way of expansion or war (my army is a grand total of one archer and one warrior)! However, there is a triple-promoted Pingala in my cap with Oracle and a splendid TS. No religion myself but will simply take Brazil's religion.

Toronto is looking to be a good spot for Basil's Cathedral eventually. Probably can chop that thing straight out. Also looking a Petra city north if the AI is kind enough to let me get away with it.

First age is dark, but that was planned (left a barb cap next to capital on purpose until the era change came). In a few turns will enter a heroic age and that is where things should start to take off beautifully.

Overall a nice happy builder start so far. Not having to worry about DoW from Pedro is nice.

3. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: The Deity save posted is NOT the Game of the Month. If you want to report on that game, please make sure your post is very clear that it is not the GotM save. Thanks.

4. ChrisFromLux

ChrisFromLux former 'Misfit'

This will be my first Civ6-CV (hopefully), so I'm not yet really knowing what I'm doing! :crazyeye:

Well, this is what I've done so far:
    - Settled Capital 1NE, to move away from the Woods Hill
    - Built Slinger, Slinger, (got 1 Builder from GH), Slinger, Settler, Builder
    - Had some Barb-Troubles: I destroyed 2 Camps in the first 35 turns, but lost 1 Slinger
    - Met Jerusalem on T34 and Mexico-City on T37
    - I'm the Suzerain of both at the moment, which Barbarossa obviously likes :mischief:
    - 2nd City founded on T35, to the NW, between Wheat, Tobacco and Silver
    - Assigned Liang to the Capital (T46) and Amani to Jerusalem (T62)
    - Finally met 2 Civs: the Mapuche on T63 and Brazil on T64
    - 3rd City founded on T67, near Yosemite, above the Amber
    - 4th City founded on T82 on the Northern peninsula, between Rainforest and Seafood
    - Pyramids completed in the Capital on T83
    - Met the Germans on T83
    - 5th City settled on T99, in the Tundra on the western end, between Iron, Silver and Deer
    - Science Path: Mining, AH, Pottery, Archery, Irrigation, BW, (Sailing from GH), Writing, Masonry, Astrology, Wheel, Shipbuilding, Currency, Engineering, currently researching Horseback Riding
    - Culture Path: Craftsmanship, State Workforce, Foreign Trade, Early Empire, Political Philosophy, Mysticism, Drama and Poetry, Military Tradition, Games and Recreation, Recorded History, currently working on Defensive Tactics

I'm certainly not happy with the Science and Culture I'm producing, but I don't know how I could have improved that so far.

Anyway, I plan on staying peaceful and founding another 2 cities around the central lakes

5. Eurritz

Eurritz Chieftain

This is my first 6otM and at first I played as usual: beeline archers and political philosophy, build a slinger... But instead of
    I found the Yosemite very early so I created a settler near to it so it could be a national park later but i miscalculated the place and my city was too far from it. I also tried to settle near tundra so I can get lots of faith generation (unfortunately I could get a religion for myself but that city belief for tundra was very nice).

Very soon I found out Germany thanks to his scout and also found Brazil. I also found Jerusalem and Mexico City. No war with anyone.

I'm so used playing with the DLCs I almost cried when I didn't found the Apadana after political philosophy, but that also means the AI won't be building it either.

6. Minou

Minou Chieftain

This is my first real Civ 6 GOTM too Eurrtiz. And, I also was scratching my head about Apandana - I thought surely the AI could not have built it at T60 but of course I did not realize it was special content.

This has been a slow but fun one so far- I never tried Canada before but it seems like one of the weakest Civs. Since Canada already has a peaceful flavor, I decided to use this as an excuse for a peaceful culture victory. It feels wrong getting tourism from an AI you are at war with anyway - is it really worth risking getting shot to see those Pyramids?

My general strategy has been (1) to push as quickly as possible to Theater Squares for Great Writers, which means Monuments, working those Amber tiles, Pyramids for Drama and Poetry boost, and saving some gold to buy Amphitheaters, (2) meet all AIs as fast as possible (sending out an early sailing Builder and hoping for shallow water passages), (3) beeline Printing Press, (4) sprinkle in wonders as the opportunity rises.

I settled directly on the Tea. The capital was pretty nice with a free Luxury to sell plus enough tiles to boost Wheel, HBR, Irrigation, and Craftsmanship with the first Builder. My early build order was Builder/Settler/Monument/Settler/Government Plaza/Builder/Pyramids/Theater Square/Ancestral Hall. Since development was slow, Ancestral Hall came out soon enough to make a real difference - I paused two Settlers for 2-3 turns to complete it before they planted cities, and the extra Governor Title helped speed up getting Connoisseur for Pingula to keep culture going.

My Warrior headed NW and popped the first hut for a Scout (yay). The next few huts were State Workforce boost (ended up being unnecessary with fast Holy Site), Writing boost (worthless), 40g, and 20 Diplomatic Favor. I sold this to the dumb AIs for a total of 71gold + 10gpt. Why on earth do they pay so much? My Warrior cleared a lot of camps as well, making for an easy Golden Age (Monumentality).

Second city (T30) was set up south of Yosemite (I purchased the Amber tile to wok it right away) and built a Holy Site and Monument, then ran Holy Site Prayers to snag a Great Prophet on T71 since they were going fast. This was mostly for the 8 tourism from the Holy City and the chance to get Apostles down the road for Martyr. I took Choral Music and Religious Unity as beliefs, but with only one Holy Site this hasn’t made much impact.

Third city planted on northeast Peninsula, fourth and fifth inland near forests to chop. Third city chopped Oracle and both cities built Theater Squares. I was hoping to snag the Great Engineer who boosts Printing Press with Oracle plus faith, but barbs quickly pillaged my Holy Site and it quickly became clear I would not make it to the ~1000f needed on schedule. At least the Oracle still provides a tiny bit of tourism and some extra GW points.

On thing that really hurt me is that I did not get a Pantheon until T54, and Divine Spark was already taken! I rarely see the AI grab this one, so it was a shock to miss it. I ended up with City Patron Goddess, which was marginal. First Great Writer finally recruited on T82 (really missing Divine Spark!), second soon after on T89, and third on T94. Brazil purchased the last Classical Great Writer with gold or else I would have had him on T99.

Governors were Magus (T38), Pingula (T44, promoted to: Connoisseur T52, Grants T69, Curator T79, Researcher T96), and Amani (T71).

The one area I have been very lucky in has been exploration, with all 7 AIs contacted, and thus sending tourists. Met Brazil (T29) and Germany (T44) with Scout, and Mapuche (T43) when they sailed past my coast with a Galley. I sent a Scout, Warrior, and 1-charge Builder sailing along the coasts and the Builder (with 4 movement thanks to Monumentality) was a real superstar, contacting Scythia (T89), Hungary (T91) and Arabia (T96) and even replacing himself with a fresh Builder from a late hut. I met the final AI, China (T97) when I suzerained Hong Kong and got shared vision.

Hong Kong and Nan Mandol (since I have lots of Amphitheaters) were the only really useful city states and I have Suzerain over both. Of course, Scythia declared war on Hong Kong and wiped them out two turns after I sent the third envoy but at least they helped me meet China.

At T100, I have 5 cities and 2 Settlers ready to found in the next 1-2 turns. Science is at 33.6spt and culture at 95.5cpt. I am generated 8 base tourism points from 2 Wonders, 8 from Holy City, and 24 from Great Books (36 with Pingula boost). With Open Borders, Trade Route, and Different Religion/Government modifiers this works out to 453 total tourism per turn and 5369 lifetime. As of yet I am still at 0 actual tourists versus the 32 tourist cap.

Hoping that another few Great Writers plus one or two Great Artists, and Printing Press will be enough to win before flight. As an overpriced side project, I am on schedule to chop Mt. St. Michel and Mahaboudhi Temple in the next few turns for two free Martyr Apostles - though I am not quite certain they will find adequate Missionaries to battle with on Prince….

7. CivLong&Prosper

CivLong&Prosper Chieftain

- Where did you settle your cities:
    First city in place as usual. Then 3 more to max out the two close-by rivers. Then a city on one of the two large lakes, one on the oasis and one to grab Yosemite on the far west river. Currently filling in with coastal cities and will eventually settle some deep arctic just for Hockey Rinks. I see 12-14 city locations without having to go to war with anybody.

An isolated start (nice not being surrounded and having Korea breathing down my neck from the get-go) but not any great food/production/resource city locations … not a “jack rabbit” start … not any “legendary” city locations.

I plan on being totally peaceful and Sim-Citying (just created a new verb) 8-12 healthy cities pumping out a ton of culture!

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Going for an early Commercial/Internal Trade Route approach so I beelined to Currency while filling in on the basics.

Will create 8ish internal trade routes to “pump up” these lean cities and get a roaring economy going … then Theaters everywhere … then sprinkle in a few science and maybe one industrial/factory. Then switch to Theater Square City Projects as soon as possible and grind out culture to the end of the tree while lumbering toward Radio on the science side.

- What was your build order?
    Scout, settler, worker, settler then more settlers … not much defense necessary without other Civs and light barb activity.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    At turn 100 I’m still pumping out settlers and building Commercial/Harbors, Markets/Lighthouses, traders … will soon switch to theater madness.

- How did you place your districts?
    Placed all commercial/harbors in +$2-$4 locations, will feather in theaters to get a few adjacencies … will need a few Campi but now a lot of really good sites for big science adjacencies.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    It’s all about expansion, then commercial, then culture but it has been slow going … I have significantly fewer cities than I normally have at turn 100 … about 7-8ish

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    Mainly settler bonus so far … I’m still building out the normal 8-12 cities I typically build for a peaceful culture adventure.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    The main two are Mexico City and Jerusalem who provide separation from Brazil … Have met Germany who will eat all of their surrounding City-States … that seems to be everybody on my continent. Can’t wait to see the rest of the map.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?
    So far … very isolated start and while Germany is normally concerning they are much too far away to be a serious threat.

- Any surprises?
    YES! I was planning on grabbing the Earth Goddess pantheon and when I scored an early relic I was certain to get it. But Nooooooo, somebody got it before me … how is that even possible?

There must be an evil tundra twin out there … will be interesting to see who it is!