1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM63 Opening Actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, May 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM63 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - Did you make a plan for achieving Domination VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order? Was early production handicapped by your Unique Attribute?
    - Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

Turn 100 currently.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    This question is probably from another game :) I saw the site on turn 0.

1SW capital, though did consider settling on copper. Second near volcano / river to get closer to Hungary.

- Did you make a plan for achieving Domination VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    I kept my options open while building a small opening army. As I saw Hungarian positions better, I decided I need catapults and later as I saw only 2 civs on continent, decided to build a large navy later.

First research Writing, then BW etc. and then started towards HBR and Engineering.
    Policies standard stuff, towards Pol.Phil. and Feudalism.

- What was your build order? Was early production handicapped by your Unique Attribute?

Slinger, Monument, Settler. Hmm don't see how it would be handicapped.

20 faith hut, so I went there quite fast. However, ended up taking Divine Spark, which turned out quite useful for getting some GS.

Met Hungary, India and Norway quite fast. Hungary declared on me quite early, but I had good terrain and a decent army, so I wiped his army out, even though he had some swordsmen before I had them or horsemen.

Very fast campus, later Encampment in Capital. Second city 1st district campus.

Not yet.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Built 4, captured 5. Hungary has one more city which I will take in a few turns. Somebody razed my suzerainity city state unfortunately.

First one fast (internal), 2nd very slow, at it is about to be built only now.

Usual.
    Pingala for no specific reason (needed Ibrahim only a bit later), then Ibrahim to build an army.
    2 Goldens so far.
    Brussels cultivated, but razed.
    No problems. Used one scout later for fogbusting.
    - Any surprises?
    Thought Hungary would be tougher, but yeah the starting pos. is OP.

3. Archaelicos

Archaelicos Warlord

I moved 1 SW, will put Industrial zone due east of there.

Nothing in particular yet. I went light on military at first then found Hungary and had to convert to war engine fast. They DOWed me and took one of my cities, almost took a second, but I beat them back, recovered my city, and wiped them out. Harald is probably next, India is my friend. For now.

I started with Mining thinking I'd hit BW and get early swords. My plans were scrapped when a settler I sent out alone got cornered and had to settle a bad spot and I lost my future iron source. Pivoted to Heavy Chariot + Archers, then basically followed Eurekas to keep it moving. I'm about to finish Stirrups, then I'll probably head for Gunpowder to unlock Jannisaries.

Builder, then popped a second builder out of a hut. Then settler, monument (partial), back to settler, encampment, then warrior, slinger, slinger, and about 6 chariots.

Yeah, my timing was awkward, I had to run Godking for 8 extra turn when I only needed 1 faith. I got it late, didn't have many good options. I don't even remember what I took. I think +25% district production.

All hostile. Hungary denounced almost immediately then DOWed and took a city. I friended India, kept Harald at bay, and cleared Hungary. India friendship ran its course and they wouldn't renew which usually means DOW. I did some quick long-term deals and rebuild my military, and they changed their mind and accepted friendship, so I can focus on Harald.

Encampment ASAP.

Machu was available and like an 8 turn build, and I needed an Inspire, so I knocked it out.

I founded 5 cities, captured 6, about to found a 6th.

Not very fast. All internal routes so far.

Barbs + Faith, switched to +1 Prod once I got Pantheon, ran Settlers for a bit. Nothing interesting, really.

Started with Ibrihaim because my border cities were low on loyalty and war was clearly coming. I build government plaza in one city to keep it from flipping and put Ib in the other. Then Amari to clam down city-states and keep them away from Matthias, then Liang for builders.

No, regular classic age, then golden age.

Preslav was my ally for a bit, now they're not, I need to get them back. I want Brussels just to make it difficult for Harald when I attack him.

Really annoying. They forced me to spot-settle in a spot I didn't want. I've got a bunch to the south I haven't cleaned out yet.

- Any surprises?
    I did not manage teh war with Hungary all that carefully and I largely breezed through it. I also usually quit a game if I lose a city at this difficulty level, but I could just tell that it took everything Hungary had to capture my city, and if I leaned on them, they'd tip over. They DID manage to constantly churn out a ton of units, even with a size 2 city left and nothing else, they were getting money from ... somewhere and buying units every turn. Just really kicking up a fuss, it was like trying to put a toddler to bed when the sun's still up.

4. Eurritz

Eurritz Chieftain

Although I'm not used to play on difficulties higher than prince, I tried this game anyway. Gave up on T95 and I'm too embarassed to show my save.

It took me only 1 turn to find a spot.

I settled southeast from initial point. Second city was near the river north to the capital.

I literally had no idea what i was doing, which is really bad.

research: mining -> archer -> bronze working -> masonry
    civic: craftmanship -> military tradition -> political philosophy
    policies: discipline and urban planning, then changed first to agogo then god king then urban planning after

slinger -> builder -> settler. I don't think I felt I was handicapped.

I only got a pantheon after a war. Went with Divine Spark.

It took me 38 turns to find Hungary. At T43, we go to war.

I built two emcampments and was trying to build a campus. Maybe delaying the campus was a horrible mistake.

Only built the Pyramids at T89.

I captured two small cities from Hungary and built four. I really tried to capture more but Mattias had lots of catapults.

Only one inside trader

went with autocracy but maybe oligarchy would be better.

I went with Ibrahim because my second city was losing loyalty and promoted him once.

Both classical and medieval ages were normal

I only met Preslav, which was at war with me because their suzerain was Hungary.

Not great, but Mattias was way worse.

- Any surprises?
    not really, except Hungary was too much powerful but that's not really a surprise.

5. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Torres is great but this city lacks food so I moved 1E to grab the deer for a possible ToA and a very solid campus. Didn't get the wonder, but got a nice spot open for a city SW of Torres.

Had to block off Hungary, so settled toward the horses NE.

I'm prioritizing Science and Income, that's what domination is usually about. Grab as many cities as I can, obviously :)

Archery and writing were a high priority, so was iron working.

Not really, as Torres made up for it.

GotH. Didn't help much at start, but it paid off later.

Relatively quickly, Hungary was hostile and I got DoWed after 20 or so turns. Was ready for it, though.

Campus, as fast as I could've spared.

Did and managed.

Yes. Cleared Hungary, half of Norway. One open city spot left.

Mainly commercial city states. Trade routes are a priority.

As the game dicates. Too complex to type down.

Ibrahim, Amani, Magnus, Pingala, in that order.

Nope, got a golden age without issues.

Commercial and some Industrial, since those were available.

Useful.

- Any surprises?
    Yes, how easy Immortal is :)

6. cheffster

cheffster Deity

Back when the game first came out I played through almost every gotm and used to follow this thread closely. When I heard the new expansion is out I wanted to try it out. So here's my game up to turn 100 ;p

I wanted to take full advantage of the natural wonder nearby, I moved 2SW of start and settled on a buffed tile to maximize early production and have a coastal city.

First place I explored was north east, settled my 2nd and 3rd cities there and then a 4th southeast where I could take advantage of more buffed tiles.

Tried to explore as much as possible. I decided to build up some infrastructure before fighting knowing my production would skyrocket early.

Some of the choices were in the dark as I'm still learning the mechanics of gathering storm (played just 2 other offline games to get a feel before starting the one)
    Standard cards to maximize production (%30 builders to make builders, %50 unit production to make army etc, etc)

scout scout settler builder builder settler settler slinger x5, warrior x4 settler

Goddess of the harvest. I didn't understand at first why people were choosing this one,
    after some testing realized with golden age / monumentality buying builders with faith is OP

Met Hungary early, 40 turns also met India and norway

Built an encampment first in capital, completed encampment training x2 for early GG

Just Coliseum so far

14 right now

Attached Files:

7. incroc

incroc Chieftain

Not very good at this game yet, especially knowledgewise, so pretty unhappy with the first 100 turns.

One tile SW, crap food but the Ottoman way is not puny stuff like growth. I planned on stealing people.
    Second city was next to the deer, I didn't check carefully enough and I thought the river head was fresh water :mad:. Third city by the coast next to the iron. Both second cities sucks balls, really poor placements. But there were loyalty issues early. My prefered spot had -8 and didn't risk it. I also wanted to not buy tiles, saving for a soon to be discovered futile upgrade to Swordman plan.

I aimed to reach Gunpowder and the one after (Metal Casting?) for a new siege weapon, and thought I probably needed cartography to cross ocean. Going for Swordman asap was the fun choice since Sulemain has a unique unit that upgrades from Swords. On turn 100 I still don't have ocean travel so not great teching so far.

I went Mining - BW to look for iron. After that I went for campus since I suspected I needed decent tech to get ocean travel. After Writing I went Iron working -> some stuff like ah, irrigation -> catapult -> boat techs.

Warrior - 2 turns in a builder - settler - warrior - settler - builder - monument - campus. Second city monument - granary. Third city monument - granary.

I got a free one from a hut. Picked faster first district as I didn't need faith for anything and only had mines improved.

Quite hostile. Found three early, haven't found more yet (sigh).

Campus first in the two first cities. Then I got some from Hungary. After that commercial hubs for money.

I only steal these.

Built 3, captured 6.

I traded with Hungary for a road for quicker maneouvre enabling exchange of valuable goods and services.

Unit maintenance since I've had perpetual gold problems.

First got the resource discount from Magnus, then discovered it doesn't count on upgrades :mad:. I even had 500 gold saved. That cost me a valuable 10 turns on my plan, otherwise I might have had crushed idiot India before those elephants. After that I picked Ibrahim, since he seems cool. I would've picked him from the start had I known about the upgrade rule.

Foolish question. Sulemain only has golden age. This isn't 1918.

Two, they hate me.

Abundant. Easiest bronze working I've gotten so far.

- Any surprises?
    After eliminating Hungary around t90, which I already felt was late, I immediately declared on India thinking he was a wuss. India always is a wuss in Civ. But my proud Swordsmen didn't do much against those elephants, which I didn't bother to check what was before I declared. I just assumed it was the same crap ranged chariot it was in Civ V. So it goes painfully slow to conquer him :mad:
    I've also made like 5 scouts to try and explore more (it's awful so far), but I've managed to get almost all of them killed.

In a re-run I would've picked AH -> Archery earlier instead. Not just because of the upgrade problems, but to get India earlier. I met him between t10-15, so had I paid more attention I could've made the switch in plan. That way I could've started on Hungary maybe 15 turns earlier, would've made a big difference.

8. DutchMark

DutchMark Chieftain

My first GOTM for Civ6. And first time playing Ottomans. Immortal is tough, but with the start location seems doable.
    I considered settling in place, SE and SW. SW seemed most promising, so decided on that.

I went Slinger, Slinger, Warrior, Settler. My warrior ventured North and found Preslav and Hungary. I poached Hungary's builder that was out there with 2 charges left. Sent my settler North to settle the 2nd city on the division of the Coast and the lake. After taking care of some barbarians I sent the two slingers and warrior North to take Miskolc while going for Archery, which fell pretty quickly with the two Slingers promoted to archers.

In the meantime I started a Pantheon for 10% city growth and built Hanging Gardens. I thought this would complement the high production yield of the capital. Third City I settled was Halep on the river a little West of Mount Erciyes. I also got a settler thrown in my lap during the fighting, so I settled Adana on the lake North-East of Halep. I put Governor Victor in Miskolc which helped me keep it. Being Suzerain of Preslav also helped. Second Governor, Reyna, went to Adana to offset some negative pressure.

By turn 80 or so I had Buda's encampment under heavy siege when Vikings came storming in on Miskolc. I probably mismanaged the double-front fight a bit, because by turn 100 Buda is still far from falling. The Vikings have been sent packing though, although he hasn't bought me off yet. I have 5 crossbows, 2 of which have level-4 promotions which mean they can fire twice. Still, Buda's health is only going down oh so slowly and he doesn't seem to stop building catapults.

I haven't focused on overseas yet. Everybody on the continent hates me and I'll focus on the other continent after I take care of India and the Vikings. I must have mismanaged some, as Istanbul is not growing as much as I had hoped and I have amenities / unhappiness issues. That's a lesson, to keep an eye on that better and plan for it. I also wasn't sure how exactly this Golden Era thing worked. I missed out by 1 the first two times. Looks like next time I'll get it with 52/49.

So far it looks fairly promising. My science is well ahead of the other civs on the continent. But I still have to see what's the situation on the other continent. I won't win any speed accolades, but it looks like I should be able to get a victory at least.

9. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Best of Luck! :thumbsup:

10. ChrisFromLux

ChrisFromLux former 'Misfit'

Having played only 4 Civ6-games so far, and none above Prince, I was skeptical about trying this one. Without Torres, I certainly wouldn't have dared.

Domination is another problem,:3 of my 4 games were quite peaceful Diplomatic, Science and Culture victories. Civ6-Warfare is still a bit of a mystery to me. I'm still missing my Civ4-Stacks-Of-Doom! :mischief::D

How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?

Not needed, with Torres in sight

Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    Istanbul was settled 1SW. The 2nd City on T24, S of Torres, on the Wheat.

Did you make a plan for achieving Domination VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    Being afraid of Immortal, and not having much experience with war in Civ6, I didn't dare to attack anyone early. When later, I found all those Horses around, I decided to try the Early-Knights-Plan I have read about.
    Only when I wanted to upgrade the first unit did I notice that Knights need Iron, not Horses! :hammer2:

What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Science: Mining, AH, Archery, Pottery, Writing, BW, Irrigation, Wheel, Sailing, Astrology, Masonry, Horseback Riding, Stirrups
    Culture: Foreign Trade, Early Empire, Craftsmanship, State Workforce, Political Philosophy, Military Tradition, Games and Recreation, Defense Tactics

What was your build order? Was early production handicapped by your Unique Attribute?
    Builder, Warrior, Settler, Builder, Slinger, I think

Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
    I still don't pay attention to this part; took Oral Tradition on T41 when it popped up

How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    Met Hungary quickly on T18 and India and Norway both on T39; no one has denounced or DOWed me yet, and India likes me because I'm not his neighbor

How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    Built the Government Plaza with Warlord's Throne in the Capital. Except that, only 1 Encampment in my 1st city on the Hungarian border.
    Being nearly done with my peaceful Expansion now, I'll switch from Settlers, Builders and Military to Campuses, Theaters and Military

Did you try to build any Wonders?

No

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

As I didn't dare to attack Hungary early, my first plan was to settle a good number of cities; I have 8 cities now, and still room for 2 more.

3rd City founded on T34, on the river towards Hungary, between Horses, Cotton, Rice and Bananas.
    4th City founded on T55, 2N of Mount Erciyes, which has already erupted 2 times, fertilizing 18 fields!

2 more cities were founded in a line with these cities, 5 tiles away from Matthias' cities, which he didn't like.

The other 2 are on 'our' peninsula, east of Torres.

How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?

Only 1 internal trade Route so far, for getting roads from my Capital to the Hungarian border

How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

Whatever I needed at that moment: Bonus on Settler and Builder-production, Maneuver when I built my Chariots, ...

Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?

Victor first, because I needed Loyalty quickly in my 3rd city to avoid a Rebellion, and because I was expecting to be DOWed.
    Ibrahim next, and then Pingala, which got 2 promotions.

Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?
    No, Classical Golden Age, but it looks like it will be a Dark Age next. Need 3 points in the next 4 turns :hmm:

What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    Met Preslav and Buenos Aires early, Brussels and Lisbon later.
    I'm the Suzerain of Buenos Aires; Norway has DOWed Brussels.
    2 or 3 unmet City States have already been captured.

How were the Barbarians?

No problem; destroyed a few camps, no unit lost on my side

Any surprises?
    Except that Knights don't need Horses, no :crazyeye: