1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM67 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jul 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM67 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? Did you levy any troops?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Diplomatic VC?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - How do you like the changes to the Diplomatic VC?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

Yeah, that's about enough of that. I've got more Diplomatic Favor stockpiled than the rest of the world combined but since its cost escalates per level I have the whole world voting for me to lose three every round of voting. Never tried this victory before, never will again. Concede Turn 279.

3. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Chieftain

Wow, what a ride! Diplo victory turn 335 (more or less). Screenshot and save attached.

So it started slowly, a couple of cities here and there, i was not planning to do a lot of flipping, just amass victory points and favour and hopefully win quickly this way. However around turn 200, i had 10 diplo points and there were still 0 aid requests, and i started to lose diplo points at the world congress, so i started pushing more, for fun, towards Eleanor strength. And, little by little, i stole big chunk of lands from China, Norway, Korea and Netherlands. The snowballiing of Eleanor is truly impressive when it starts - it is late but damn is it enjoyable.
    She is for sure not the greatest for diplo victory, but if you steal everything from your opponent, well, you can win the way you want!

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? Settled maybe around 10, captured a lot, had 46 cities at the end of the game (none of them captured by force)
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? Prioritized policies that would give me envoys, i was trying to maximise the city states suzerainity for favour
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? Not much, just defended a couple of CS against China but that`s about it
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? I built one COrsair for the score, and a couple of harbor, but they didnt do much.
    - What was your most useful unit? Great people? So i could start flipping around.
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? Did you levy any troops? I did levy one city state army to defend it against China. And i mean, i had to win by diplomacy, so yeah diplo was useful! A bit tedious though as i didn't have any aid request whatsoever for the entire game.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? City-states were good for favour, China were bad, i had to fight with China for them to leave CS alone.
    - Did religion play a role in your game? No - but i made crazy amount of faith per turn at the end
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Diplomatic VC? I wanted to 1) maximise early Diplo points with resolutions and 2) build Statue of Liberty, which i did. Was hoping to get more Aid Request but there were none, so i had to rely on late game, world competition and world congress award. Eventually it went well but i had to assimilate Korea who was getting real close to victory.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? I think i had only golden age after the first normal age.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? Loyalty from Eleanor is such a snowball effect. It didn't do much until turn 170 or so, but after this i just eradicated most of China, and end game most of Korea. At the end i didn't even have to move great works for the flip to happen, it was as if my Court of Love was just devouring everything else (i think i would have conquered the world easily from there on).
    - How do you like the changes to the Diplomatic VC? I think diplo victory is enjoyable in the sense that it let you enjoy the late game and try new stuff at this age. But we need disaster at max intensity to still have it quicker (i got one around turn 250 with disater set as 4).
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? The low number of disaster? maybe
    - Did you enjoy your game? It was fun, but a bit long. However it gave me the possibility to play with rock bands & the crazy court of love snowball effect, which is nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

Almost exactly the same game for me. Quit on turn 268. I might not have the majority of diplomatic favor, but in any case I had a lead with 11 diplowin points including all wonders and some other points. After that I got voted twice to lose 3 points with unanimous votes, last one was 7-37 even though I am allied with 4 civs and friends with 1. It is kind of cool that AI avoids losing like this, but now diplomatic is impossible without taking out the majority of enemies.

I did not flip a single foreign city, though I had quite a lot of GW.

5. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

DiplV T216

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    I probably had one of the slowest start I ever had in recent memory.
    China had a horseman barbarian camp 1 tile away from its city borders, but somehow all the spawned barbarian horsemen went to my cities.
    I had to build/rush buy some spearmen to deal with the threat.
    I stayed on 12 cities most of the game, as I didn't expect to win before the 230s and I wanted to keep turn time low.
    I didn't capture any city and stayed on friendly terms with all AIs.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Diplomatic VC?
    I played it mostly as a 'lazy' science game with some detours (wonders) and a strong focus on culture and city-state quests.
    I launched the Moon Landing to get to Global Warming Mitigation.

Mahabodhi Temple 2DVP
    Potala Palace 1DVP
    Statue of Liberty 4DVP
    Aid Request 2DVP
    World Congress Votes 10/10DVP
    Global Warming Mitigation 1DVP

I had to sent 6K gold to China to secure 1st place for the natural disaster Aid Request.
    What was most surprising is how easy it is to get on the winning side of world congress resolutions. AIs don't seem to care for a lot of resolutions and will only put down 1 vote even if they have a lot of diplomatic favor available. For example, you can theoretically win the district culture bomb resolution by only putting down 2 votes (and risk 10DF) as every AI will only give 1 vote to themselves. The votes probably most at risk are the ones from the first congress when you don't have as much DF to throw around. The only resolution I find hard to predict is the Luxury amenity double/ban resolution, because 1) the AI seems to care a lot about this one (putting 3-5+ votes each on the resolution) and 2) because it is more difficult to predict the outcome. In general, I find that you don't even need more than 200DF or 7DF per turn to win both votes for each congress. If I hadn't played so lazily, I could have shaven 8 turns which was when the last World Congress happened had I launched the Moon Landing earlier. The only other thing that could have sped up victory is getting more Aid Request competitions (or an earlier world era progression).

- Diplomatic VC thoughts
    The latest June patch update with its changes to the Diplomatic victory made it possible to win faster than before, but it is still the slowest victory condition.
    From simple experience, you can pretty much predict the outcome of 90%+ of the resolutions. The AI doesn't seem to care about a lot of resolutions and will only put down 1 vote.
    If the AI cared more about more resolutions like it does for the Luxury Amenity resolution for example, getting of the winning side of resolutions would become a lot harder, but also much more luck based.
    So my suggestion is the following: make the AI care more about all resolutions, but make it also possible to know exactly how the AIs will vote (including the number of votes) if you have a spy in their capital/territory.
    Also, the majority of your diplomatic favor comes from your suzerainty of city-states which is a zero-sum game. As you gain more suzerainties, you also deny suzerainty from other players/AIs which brings me to my next point..

- AI behavior thoughts
    One of the factors that make this game easy is that it is much easier than it should be to become the suzerain of a city-state.
    That is mainly explainable by the tendency of the AI to hoard envoys instead of sending them to city-states. This behavior was never more blatant than in this game as I was able to become the suzerain of every city-state still standing very easily with no more than 6 envoys per city-state for most of the game. From personal experience, it appears the AI will mainly send envoys when they are at war and the game I just played was particularly peaceful, except near the very end when Korea declared war on Kupe (and Wilfrid since he was allied with Kupe). Korea then decided to drop 3 envoys to La Venta which was bordering its empire (and made me lose temporary sovereignty). At that point we were the only two civilizations who had envoys at that city-state. What ensued was a bidding war to get control of La Venta. Kupe sent 11 envoys and Wilfrid 13 to La Venta. (EDIT: I played a few turns post-win and an emergency was started against Korea. Wilhelmina which participated in the emergency against Korea and had no prior envoy to La Venta sent 20 envoys in 1 turn!) This means the AIs where hoarding the envoys the whole game without using them and getting city-states benefits which could have greatly helped them. Furthermore, this city-state
    had very few military units and thus low military strategic value.
    If the default AI behavior was to send immediately all its envoys to the 1 or 2 closest city-states, it would be way more difficult to become suzerain of multiple city-states at the same time and the AIs would get to benefit from city-states bonus yield and should thus perform better. Instead, the AIs seem to go for this Ah-Ah turn the tables surprise tactic effect more often than not.
    This behavior shouldn't be the norm and maybe be reserved for some aggressive warmonger leaders.

- Seven Seas map script thoughts
    Despite the map script name, the world map doesn't contain much water. It kind of feels like the Lake map script from CivV.

- Bugs
    Albert Einstein GS triggered the plastic eureka when bulbed.
    I witnessed a City-States delete its own units in a turn (4 out of 5 Musketmen, probably because it lacked the gold for their maintenance).

Attached Files:

Eyswein and arthur486 like this.
  6. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

No aid requests, missed Potala but got Temple and Statue, could grind the rest of the world out of Diplomatic Favor in 2-3 more election cycles (it costs the world everything they've got and I keep mine in a loss.) I hit 15 but was whittled down to 13 when I pulled the plug. That's too much Next Turn for me.

7. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

Retired @ T221

So didn't understand how important it is to be on right side on those early~ish world congress votes.

Spoiler 23 turns still to go :

Spoiler ..but :

I doubt, that I can stall cv for that long

arthur486 likes this.
  8. Ownsya

Ownsya Chieftain

Gave up on turn 240 with only 7DPV. Well, definitely a learning experience being my first game with either R&F or GS expansions. Settled 10 cities but lost 1 to china by from losing loyalty. Built the Statue of Liberty, but missed the other DPV wonders, mainly because I didn't know about them earlier. Only got 3 DPV from world congress votes, and Canada made it impossible for me to win the aid request. Was an interesting game nonetheless where I learned a lot about diplomacy. Next time I'm sure I'll have a much better chance, now that I know what to look out for. I think I'll play a quick game next and also go for a DP for practice.

Thanks for the game and everyone's answers, learning a lot from others :)

Wow, quite the diplomat! I need to learn how to predict these better. I take it some election options are almost guaranteed to go a certain way? Will try to read more on these.

Attached Files:

9. tarafran

tarafran Chieftain

DV 300
    Long game..I finally figure out that to win I had to vote against myself to loose 3 pts so too only loose 2pts and win after the third election

Attached Files:

kcd_swede likes this.
  10. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

Diplomativ Victory in Turn 239, but out of competition because of second attempt

Gave up my first approach which was intended to be a peaceful one when Qin Shi declared a surprise war on me and built Kilwa in the same turn, which set him so far in the lead in both cultural and science, that I saw no clue how to stop him.

For the second game I changed my strategy to mix of domination and diplomaticy with the following goals:
    - eliminate at least 3 civs until the first vote which containts diplomatic victory points (I think it's the one in the industrial age); the goal here was to outvote the remaining civs on that vote which actually worked out quite well
    - keep at least 2 civs from denouncing me (e.g. by making them strong allies) in order to keep penalties from grievance low
    - focus on city state requests, suzerain as many as possible
    - build Mahabodhi Templte and Statue of Liberty, let the others battle for Potala Palace (never achieved to build it in Diplo games so far anyway)
    - don't rely on aid requests (never saw any in Diplo games yet, don't know why)
    - try to guess at least 11/12 votes right

That leads to the following point hunt:

Mahabodhi Temple 2 DVP
    Statue of Liberty 4 DVP
    Aid Request 0 DVP
    World Congress Votes 14/15 DVP

In the end I even got 15/15 DVP because I guessed the one on luxuries right (hooray for turtle ban!).

Besides that I played it like a regular domination game: focus on science, early attack on Qin Shi (with only 2 warriors and 3 archers, who got support from 3 horseman and a swordsman after the first enemy city was taken). After Qin Shi was gone, I went westwards to visit Seondeok because Willy and Harald in the east were my best allies. While fighting against Seondeok, Wilhelmina and Dido joined her in a military emergency against me, which got me some bonus diplomatic favor and I did not have to declare war on Wilhelmina. Made peace with Dido asap, joined in a liberation emergency triggered by Wilhelmina who had taken Kumasi. Harald was glad to fight side by side with me against the Dutch aggressors. After liberating Kumasi and with Wilhelmina gone as well I had more than 1.200 diplomatic favor which was more than enough to outvote Harald, Wilfried, Dido and Kupe.

Some thoughts on Dans post:
    => excellent suggestion, since it would also give the spies a more important role in this kind of game

=> another excellent suggestion, any kind of game would benefit from this change

I'd also love to see if AI who has been your strongest ally for ages would not vote against you in the diplomatic victory votes but at least stay neutral (which is no option yet).

In a diplomatic victory it should pay of to make friends, not war.

Attached Files:

11. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Space Race win t356, 1935AD, score 1937(Winston Churchill)

Like many others, I grew weary trying for Diplo. After a while of trying, I just wanted to end with any VC. I don't really understand how to win DV with the new system... the level is too high to reliably get important wonders... and the ones you get can be easily negated in a vote. It is hard to get suzerein status over CS when there are only 2 left in the game.

The huge land-based map was also an eye-opener, as naval mastery was worthless in this game -- odd for a game as England.

Anyhow, I had fun, despite the frustrations.

BTW- I had 6/20 diplo vic points, and the top leader had 11/20 when I won.

Attached Files:

12. Gronaz

Gronaz Chieftain

Invalid turn 302 diplomatic victory.

At my first game I did ragequit on turn 124.
    Actually I got suprised by AIs. On first game, korea built a city close to me and I sent all my units to conquer it. I was suzerain of La venta. During the war, korea became suzerain of la venta and their troop took and razed my closest city.

On my second game I saw some kind of coordinate suzerainty attack. I was suzerain of all city state during all the middle of the game and AI didn't even try to send more envoys. Then on of my 5 allies, china attack and conquer one city state. I wait for friendship to end and then I denounce china and declare war in order to liberate the city state. Then I've been targeted by the (broken) bretrayal emergency and everyone on earth declare war to me, even my 4 remaining allies. And the same turn, they all spent all their spared envoys and took back suzerainty of all city states. Well played guys. I had aroud 30 diplomatic favors per turn and the next turn it droped to 10.

13. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.