1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM67 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jul 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM67 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Diplomatic VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Ownsya

Ownsya Warlord

Thanks for doing gotm, it makes the game even more enjoyable, helps me think more about what I'm doing in the game and learn from others. I'm not a very experienced civ player and this is my first time for either R&F or gathering storms game but here goes.

I settled my capital on turn 2 on the plains hills just north of starting position. Started with a scout, 2 slingers, then settler. Founded 2nd city to the SE just left of the nearest oasis. Since none of the neighbors were too close I kept pumping out settlers until I had 6 cities. At that point, the friendly neighbors' massive armies were worrying me so I paused expansion to add some military and districts as I was way behind.

I noticed many potential pasture tiles in the area so I went with God of the Open Sky pantheon and built as many pastures as I could. At the moment (t110) i have 4 pastures built out of 7 within my borders, and after border expansions I'll soon have a total of 9 pasture tiles in these 6 cities. I also built the Temple of Artemis wonder in my captial, in range of 4 tiles that benefit from its bonus. This is allowing me to sell most of my luxury items. While keeping the population mostly happy.

Met 4 neighbors so far, all were at some point friendly but currently unhappy with me. Norway and China have denounced each other and Norway has nearly twice the military points. I'd like to keep China as an ally if possible.

First era ended with a dark age for me, second ended with me in normal age for some reason. I thought I had all the points for a golden/heroic age so i'm not sure what happened there.

For governors, I picked Amani first, then Liang, then Victor as a defensive choice. Probably not the most useful and I'd probably pick things differently if I were to do it again. Amani is solid but maybe Magnus, Pingala, or even Reyna might've been a more useful first choice with Amani as second choice. What do others think about governor choices for a diplomatic victory?

Surprises?
    -Yes, a rude awakening to the fact that harbors no longer automatically provide a trade route capacity, I built two royal navy docks... and I still only have one trader. I realize now that this has been since R&F but this is my first time playing with expansions.
    -A very fortuitous flood spawned right where an army of barbarians were chasing my archer, damaging 3 out of the 5 barbarians on his tail. That was quite a moment for me :D

All in all, I don't feel like I've made the best decisions towards a clear long-term plan but I think I'm doing okay so far. Catching up with science and culture and I probably have enough units to at least defend my borders for now so i may add another city or 2 in near future. Looking forward to seeing what others have done in the first 100t.

3. soulvius@

soulvius@ Chieftain

Hello,

I usually don't play GOTM anymore because lower difficulty is too easy and harder difficulty not always interesting for my playstyle. But England is my favorite civ so I gave this one a go. Since it's diplo victory which I never had before I took an expansionist approach with religion. I tried to play the game intensely and aimed for mountain ranges to have high science later on so I had / have large land/sea mass gaps in my empire, which i might fill up later on to avoid barb camps. First I settled on coast because I like first city on coast with England if possible just for the feeling. It turned out to be a good choice later on because I got camp pantheon and there was a horse adjacent too. I made a scout (I always do) and scouted my east/ southeast while my warrior went southwest. I made quick contact with Babylon and La Venta (1st meets) and after Political Philosophy (no boost) I met Fez as well. I bought a slinger and made one to repell barbs and I upgraded one to archer since it was a quest. My scout bumped into an unguarded China settler so I had to take it, which allowed me to settle far east and make a foothold on the land between Norway and China. Later I made peace and grievances are almost gone by now (t100). Meanwhile I built Artemis and 2 holy sites and I got a religion. The babrs got very tough when they spawned a camp between my east province and the mainland so i had to train a spearman and an extra warrior who dealt with the problem (horse barb camp). I suzed La Venta and Babylon and started spamming settler after that. My goal was to make a coastal city on the moutain range rich land's coast to the west which i achieved going all around the mountains and returning to the shore (landing was not possible b c of cliffs). Shame Maori showed up and snatched a small part of this mountain rich land, but I can't be too greedy. I achieved what I wanted settled 10 cities already 2 more under way, and I don't plan on settling any urgent cities in the near future (maybe for niter if necessary). I am building Pyramids as well. Only other intersting thing worth to mention is that I trained 2 galleys and got shipbuilding to be able to travel easily between mainland and western province. See pictures... Fun game thus far, though the amount of land I have is overwhelming .. I can fit at least 10 more cities but maybe 20.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?

I settled adj to lake on coast to have sea/trade access. on 1st or 2nd turn I don't remember. I have the experience that early settling doesn't matter too much unless very extreme cases. Coast adj was important for me.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?

My second city went near the southeastern hills by the river for production to have decent output early game.

- Did you make a plan for achieving a Diplomatic VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?

Umm, not really since I never had diplo victory. I guess I'm just trying to be friendly and have a large empire so I can help with aid requests. I hope I'll learn along the way how to work towards my goal.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

Well, not to mention the obvious ones which reveal resources, I got astrology for religion and shipbuilding for easy travelling across seas. Then I aimed for production boosters like construction and apprenticeship. I think my next goal is to get Education after Military Engineering. Civicwise I went for Theology and Rec. History and now I'm teching towards feudalism for more builder charges.

- What was your build order?

Scout, Settler, Builder, Galley, Settler, Spearman, Warrior....

Monument, Archer in other city also bought a slinger.

- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?

I got Camp pantheon since I got early faith income from La Venta. I had 2 camps near London and more possible camp sites in eastern province so I thought tit would be nice.

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?

Maybe turn 20 I found Korea first then China who gave me a free settler immediately. They were always unfriendly despite the lux deals and trade routes. I don't aim to bolster them with gifts like I usually do, they tend to just start liking me after medieval so I'm waiting patiently. War would be counter productive for them so I don't fear that. Also I won first World Congress so the most profitable trade partner for everyone is England now so I hope that helps.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

I only built 2 holy sites yet, and I'm planning to build campuses in my mountain cities. Later on probably commercial hubs, harbors theater squares as well.

- Did you try to build any Wonders?

Yes I built Artemis turn 65, and I'm building Pyramyds atm.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Yes, my goal is to secure mountain spots. I'm at 10 cities now 2 more settlers out, not planning to settle more unless there is a reason to do so.

- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?

Not very quickly. I think around turn 60 I sent trade route to China, but he was already trading with me.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

Mostly barb card and extra production card. In classical republic I picked great prophet card and naval unit card, also settler card.

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?

I always pick Liang first so I picked her.for the extra builder charge. Then Pingala for culture and Reyna for money.

- Was your first age a Dark Age? Did you take any Dark Age cards?

Yes it was, which reminds me that I used the extra science dark age card which boosted my science almost 100%, which was very nice.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

La Venta, Babylon, Fez, I suzed first two. I allso met a few more by t100 but I can't recall them.

- How were the Barbarians?

Enraging. Very active in first 30-40 turns. After I elminitaed the two nearest camps, they didn't bother me any more. They are actually sieging a chinese city which has 0 hp, I dont know maybe they'll raze it. I also met into some inconvienence in my western province when i misclicked my warriror and he died, but I could settle my cities so it was just a minor bump.

- Any surprises?

Barbs taking Longxi yes. Unguarded settler. Nothing else. Looks like a long, boring game. (no wars, or conflicts)

Thanks for organizing GOTM..

Attached Files:

4. Gronaz

Gronaz Chieftain

Here is my turn100.
    I don't fell I am winning so far but at least I got 2 diplomatic points at first vote. I try to fulfill citystates quests and got a religion with envoys when converting them. I lost many units to barbarians and it slowed my exploration.

Spoiler turn100 :