1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM68 opening actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Chieftain GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 68 Opening Actions thread.
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
    - Where did you settle your cities?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

- Where did you settle your cities?
    In the desert, like t3, to max the civ bonus.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Research was pretty standard to start with Mining and AH. Then I found a Natural Wonder, got the boost for Myst, and went for that.

- What was your build order?
    Scout, then just reacting... got barbs spawning violently just 2 tiles away, so a slinger and warrior before the 2nd scout. Bought monument and builder along the way.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    +6faith Holy Site was first, then some campuses and then a Suguba and then just HS, for the most part.

- How did you place your districts?
    Max out the adjacency bonuses. I did not place and wait, I generally build to completion when I order up that stuff. Lame, I know... but gimmicks I dont understand are not in my playbook.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Oh... I guess so. Settled 4 cities, DOW twice to take unprotected settlers helps.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    I got a relic early, through city state patronage, so I went for production cards, though actually so much cash and faith end up buying everything important.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    2 rel, 1 sci, one prod... I think all but the Mil CS is my vassal.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Yeah, and now may they rest in peace. ;)

- Any surprises?
    Yes... I learned I have a bias to scout west rather than east. I think that screws me in this game.

3. Gronaz

Gronaz Chieftain

Well, I feel that this game starts well, compared to my private games. But I guess that some top players already finished it before turn 100.

Spoiler Turn 100 :

My mistakes are that I focused too much on faith but there was no need to because the continent is already converted. I should have focused more on science to cross the ocean. I built a military camp in capital for production but the gain is low and a campus would have been better help.
    In awdaghust I ignored floodplains and placed districts for best adjacency but I got several floods before I can rebuild. I am choked and will never build again on flood plains.

Another thing I learned but not sure (since I don't keep autosaves to compare) I built a city next to a tribal village and I feel that it make it disappear like a barbarian camp but without the bonus.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 5:20 AM