1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM71 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Sep 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM71 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. tobols

tobols Chieftain

My first GOTM and my first science victory in GS!
    Turn 296, score 1248.

Settled 3-4 cities and built campuses. Got Hypatia and also a relic from a hut. Since there was a lot of stone around I went for stone circles as pantheon and thought I was clever. Got legendary first age with monumentality, and bought a few workers and a settler.

Ran into Gandhi and decided he needed to die. My archers and swordsmen captured Mumbai easily. Then a Varu appeared. Then another. And another. Had to sue for peace while also crashing into a dark age. Restarted the war during the dark age when I got crossbowmen. Managed to get everyone else to attack Gandhi as well, and spent the dark age wiping him out. Couldn't keep the cities due to loyalty though, so just pushed through until he was gone, and then went back and took the cities back. Pretty much a disaster.

Fortunately, I was targeted by an emergency after capturing Delhi, so had full loyalty there. Also got me in a war with Curtin. When the dark age ended I moved my armies norheast and took a couple of cities from him.

After that I settled a couple more cities, built universities and commercial hubs, pyramids, oxford, big ben, ruhr valley, and finally kilwa kisiwani after finding a second science citystate.
    Ran Natural Philosophy and Rationalism most of the game. Wisselbanken when I got myself some alliances.

Eventually made allies with Tamar and Poundmaker.

Didn't really know how the science victory worked, so had to discover the new technologies. Got Carl Sagan! However, didn't use him on anything useful, like Launch Exoplanet Expedition. Instead saved him for the fifth stage, which turned out to be a bunch of low production projects. Quite a waste.

Didn't go as planned at all, especially the war with Gandhi and the subsequent dark age (instead of a golden one with monumentality). Had a lot of fun though! Will probably play another!
    GOTM71.PNG

Attached Files:

Casualty of war likes this.
  3. leif erikson

Welcome to Civ6 6otM. :wavey:

Congrats on your win and hoping you have many more. :thumbsup:

4. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Chieftain

T273 Science Victory, score 1132
    Funny game, i thought the Terra map would make it a bit awkward, as pushing towards settling the new continent would go in the way of maximizing the science output. Plus it makes the early game so slow, because of the lack of city states, and the low space available. After a while when I realized that someone was on the new world (city states were beeing killed like crazy) I realized it was Maori (nice turn of event!) so i didn't bother too much about the new world, just settled one city there for the symbol and to get some luxuries.
    Eventually i think Canada is okay at science, its definitely slower than others, and in this game the barbarians didn't really let me get away without units at the beginning of the game. The land was really nice, though, with some great campuses, holy sites and even a sweet nice spot for the research station.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? I settled around 11 cities, including 1 in the new world, late game. Two cities flipped to me due to loyalty. Captured a couple from Tamar when she was bullying Dido, but gave them back to her to not get any penalty.
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? Went for a quick religion, then science, CH, and the wonders i wanted to get. Was surprised to not see the Mausoleum, though, i had prepared for it.
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? Didn't build a single naval unit, the only water access i had was ice-locked. Had a couple of muskets to explore, a bomber and a helicopter at the end.
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? The ice hockey is nice for culture boost. The mountie in this game was useless.
    - What was your most useful unit? I used 2 swordsman to go meet all the city states in the new world.
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? It was quite hard to get some money, because of the lack of city states and space, i had to prioritize settling and early campus, instead of going for commercial hubs and trade routes. So i used my diplo favour to get money.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Once i met the sciences one (plus early suzerain of Hattusa), they definitely help, with the Kilwa.
    - Did religion play a role in your game? I went for a religion, wanted to have a good fatigh to buy Great People or use monumentality. Worked out fine.
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC? Culture was actually a bit lacking, as there were no cultural city states in the continent and i couldn't get Colosseum on time. So i had to hord envoys, put down some ice hockey rings and build a couple of TS. At the end production was also a bit lacking, the land on the west was quite flat, so had to push for the research station.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? I had only golden or normal age i believe, i waited for the hit sunc dracones normal dedication to ensure good golden age at the end for the money from trade routes and the production via campus.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? I didnt have any issue with that, but could get two free cities later in the game, which were honestly not useful, but still nice to have.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Was nice to have Kupe, who actually made it simpler for me and encouraged me to just focus on my continent.
    - Did you enjoy your game? Yep, the early rush to meet all these people super early and fight for land was better than expected! Also, i really enjoy building huge cities in toundra, will definitely do some more of Canada in a bigger map with more space!

upload_2019-9-17_12-0-5.png

5. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

About 8 captured and 12 built by myself.
    Well I started by priorizing Science, but forgot it at some point and then went back at it lol
    Well I had a plan to salvage my foul placed Sherbrooke to get it to build a Navy and set them loose through many canals and cities, but I didn't remember few placing restrictions so it went down the sink. I did build few Mounties to make those National Parks for those tundra cities.

Few Mounties for National Parks, yes.
    Bomber
    Well I sold everything to the AI when they asked so I got some money at the start, but could have probs gotten even more or shouldnt have selled with that price, but apart from that no, since Gandhi wouldn't sell me his aluminium.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Yeah I got the only science one in my continent. Nope, I just pumped almost all of my envoys to that one CS.
    I saw a lot of lightning when some religions were fighting over dominion of my turf.
    To get +science as early and much as possible. Slowly, because I forgot enlighment etc....
    Suprisingly few Dark Ages and a lot of GA's. Nope.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    When Georgia DoW'd my ally Dido I conquered Georgia, but I had to retake one city quite many times before I could keep it due to Gandhi having high pop city next to it.
    +7 campus was a pleasant suprise and now I know to pay more attention to canals etc. placement and Ottawa had ridiculous production and I don't really know why, lol.
    E: didn't know what Terra map ment and didn't even know until now that it was a Terra map
    Yes, I did, thank you!

Forgot to save after the victory screen so this doesn't count.

Spoiler winsSS :

Spoiler wintSS :

Attached Files:

6. Dekrznator

Dekrznator Chieftain

Turn 322 science victory.
    Silly game felt like a hurricane...calm in the center (canada), crazy ass on the outside. Teddy went balistic early and kicked Georgias ass almost to extinction...then they got some cites back...Teddy turned to poke Dido in the face.
    Cree had too many ghandi-elephants on their borders and decided that enough is enough so they charged on Australia! :D :D Kupe zerged few city states being alone and bored across the world. And all this time nobody touches or even gets angry with Canada :D With thousand apologies and maple syrup coating on their swords we the canadians invade India and reduce them to 3 cities. Few turns later koala nation decieded to attack us while under Cree invasion so they lost few cities to them. Somewhere in this process Teddy wipes out Georgia. In the endgame 2 former georgian, 2 american and 1 aussie city decided to join glorious maple syrup nation :D :D Dido loses 2 cites and they turn free :p Fun times.

Oh yeah...Am I blind or is there only 1 Uranium source on whole map??

Settled 6 captured many more. 5 joined peacefully
    Went full science until oxford then got bored and messed a bit with military to stomp India
    0 navy. 1 archer/xbow in each city since warr was raging all around me...built few muskets and 3 bombards later
    Few mounties and some hockey rings for fun :)
    Worker :p
    Sold all I could to AI. Had few alliance deals with Cree mostly research. Some nice profit was made from trade routs to them.
    Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Got suz on science and industrial ones so yeah...I gues they were.
    I got divine spark and other than that just passivly colected religion for great ppl...not a single holy site was built. Religion did skyrocket when I took India...they had huge religion production.
    Go full science, be carefull about enlightments..etc..failed in that as i got bored mid game and went to war and as usual didnt pay enoguh atenttion to tech switching :(
    That volcano next to Victoria was serious pain in the ass...it exploded atleast 6 times. Also barbs were giving me trouble on campus in Montreal. Very hard to get units there since barb camp was near and they kept pillaging my campus
    Very cool game. Much fun was given. I could have win much earlier but I got distraced. I think I will restart and go cultural victory just to see how it turns out.

can 1.png can 2.png

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  7. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

SV 256

settled 14 and captured a lot

I went for a fast religion to get adjency bonus for my science districts,culture Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 6.52.35 AM.png and era point .

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?I was slow building one ,only getting the units needed to fullfill the science tree

Mounties came to late for my game ,ice hockey same thing,"" ability was good to settled in the tundra mountains and cheap to buy tiles. i got a 7 adjency science district out of it

- What was your most useful unit? the workers

- Was diplomacy useful? Yes i kept close friend for a good part of the game selling all my stuff Georgia,Dido,Gandhi .

i was able to be suzerain of the only one on our continent and levy it's army when the time came

- Did religion play a role in your game? Yes I based my game on spamming faith using it for culture . i picked the pantheon for the free settler then my religion was (one culture/one faith) and the one that give automatic religion when your cities have already a majority of it.
    I probably went overboard with 14 cities but i was getting close to 1000 faith per turn toward the end.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC? rushing settlers to the coast while keeping my neighbors happy, going thru both trees while building the relevant Wonders (i forgot to build OXFORD ,big set back)
    Spam space distritcs and workers to use the charge. I did started a lots of wars to mostly pillage for culture and science and gold in late game

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? I needed to be in GA to be able to buy my settlers and workers with faith, one of them was a close call but I managed to stay in GA the all game.
    most of my early districts gave me points toward GA.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? no problems there , my little army was very fast

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? yes the lack of CS on the main continent .I had to rush my cities to the coast to get harbors with access to the other land mass. No CS no Xtra favors to sell. Gold was tide on early game

- Did you enjoy your game? Yes very much

Attached Files:

8. Tarry

Tarry Chieftain

Science Victory:
    Turn 309.
    Score 2785 (pleased about that)

How many cities did you settle, or capture?

Settled 9 in the early part of the game. Conquered many when I went to war.
    Later on settled 5 in the southern continent.

Science, tried to get eureka's and inspirations. Switched around policies a lot to prioritise builds between workers and military units.

No navy, I was land locked for a long time. My cities weren't positioned well to get costal.
    I built enough military to avoid being stomped on just about.

They mounties come much too late and I had tank armies out when I made my first one.
    The ice hokey ring was useful in about 1/2 my cities, but again it's so late.

Tanks, Bombards.
    My most built unit was builders by far.

Yes, in the early game I tried to make friends, and succeeded with Australia, Phoenicia, Cree, India. But America and Georgia didn't want to know, they were very hostile. I tried to stay out of combats as I was way behind everyone else for a long time.
    America was a total warmongerer, taking Georgia's capital early and provoking several emenrgencies notably against Dido, which they won!!!!
    The Cree were completly dominant, building up so fast, building multiple wonders, massive military, massive religion, they attacked Australia, took a city, but lost it to rebellion, I snatched it, and my cultural alliance with australia let me keep it.
    The Cree then went to medieval war with Ghandi, just as my alliance with Ghandi ended, so I joined in after the two of them were well into it, attacking the soft "underbelly" of Ghandi and ended up wiping him out.
    The time came and I warred out Georgia, then America once I had muskets. Then I turned on my long time Ally the Cree and ripped them to pieces. They survived only because they had a city on another continent. That spelled the end of my Alliances and friendship with everyone else, so many negative penalties for taking his dozen cities.

Got Hattusa on my continent, took a long time to get some of the others - there we lots of switching of them in the wars. But Kupe has such a massive advantage from unrestricted access to them all.

For me, no. But everyone else got religions and were fighting madly about it. India was strng early, but so was Cree, then Maori came acoss with a tidal wavy of apostals and joined the battle. Once India was wiped out it was Cree vs Maori for a long time.

ground it out. Survived the early game, build up science everytwhere, projects to boost, got muskets first and used that tech advantage to crush opponents takiing their cities and resources to snowball. Victory through size.

I got a golden age, but with no faith as such I wasted the monumentality, then just avoided dark, then the military victories gave me gold for the rest of the game.

Loyalty was a constant problem. I had to spread my governess wide got 1 promotion each to keep cities loyal. I needed garrison and governor loyalty policies to keep cities along with victors +4 in radius.

The cree were so strong, At one point they were first for everything except culture (which was the Maori)I had to plan to wipe out several other civs to build up to be able to fight them.

yes. the new patch rebalancing things makes it much better

Attached Files:

9. Halfdan Helgrim

Halfdan Helgrim Chieftain

SV Win 292

In total about 12.
    Research and production.
    A couple warriors/swordsmen and archers/x-bowmen.
    No.
    Level 4 archer/x-bowman.
    I got alliance with Dido and Theodor and Tamar collapsed completely to loyality pressure.
    Nice to have Hattusa, but was missing the other city states which first meet at the end of game.
    I did research a religion, which gave me nice money from Tithe and then there was naturally also Wat.
    No real strategy.
    Think it ended with 3-4 golden ages.
    In the beginning there was a lot of flipping back and forth and Tamar was eliminated through this.
    Tamar was really aggresive in the beginning and there was not much land for me to settle, but did conquer a city and two later flipped. It was also a nice surprise that cavalry was not able to use siege tower - I really like that change.
    I did. Especially the beginning was challenging and interesting, but after about round 150 it was just grind fest and not that fun as the AI was not showing any sign of aggression.

Attached Files:

10. Ownsya

Ownsya Warlord

T320 SV Win

I enjoyed this game a bit too much and ended up taking my time with it. First time playing Canada and enjoyed them quite a bit. I find civs with a niche for land that nobody else wants to always be enjoyable. Surprising how productive those tundra cities can be.

Spoiler winning turn :
    20190929005846_1.jpg

Settled 7 initially, but struggled for era points in the early days and lost Hamilton to India. After which I was landlocked with 6 cities until I reached the new continent. Flipped one of Georgia's cities. Settled 3 more on the large continent to the west, and 2 more on the smaller continent to the SW. Mostly to get access to strategic resources. Finally settled one last meme city on the large W continent for uranium.
    Spoiler my game's world map :

20190929005855_1.jpg

Spoiler Core cities :
    20190929005936_1.jpg

Campuses and commercial hubs then beelined to cartography after which I beelined to space race projects.

Minimal army, just enough to clear encampents and score era points.

Yes! Tundra tile improvements were awesome. Hockey rink was just for the era score but fun nonetheless. Also produced a mountie and built a national park with him.

Builders and spies probably. Privateer upgraded to submarine spam raided America after I started a war with them that Teddy never wanted to end so I kept pillaging his coastline for massive amounts of gold and culture.

Economic alliance with Dido was giving 20+ gold per trade route.

Science CS's were massive for this game. Had 6+ envoys in each of them.

No.

2 dark ages, 1 heroic age, 1 golden age, 1 normal age. Might be forgetting something. Not in that order and it wasn't a strategy, just what I manged.

Lost Hamilton to India early on which was a shame because it was a great location for IZ. Later flipped a city from Georgia but it wasn't a very good one. I did get a +4 campus built there though so I guess not too bad.
    I used favorable trade deals to get luxuries I didn't own and tried to keep all my cities ecstatic for yield boosts for most of the game.
    Spoiler Ecstatics :
    20190929010018_1.jpg

Game was surprisingly peaceful. No major wars between anyone. I started a passive war with Teddy to get a civic boost. To my surprise he refused to make peace unless I gave him all my money. Even after I convinced 3 of my allies to also join the war he still wouldn't make peace though he lowered his demands. Game ended while still at war.
    Bit of tension towards the end as both India and Maori were going for a cultural victory with rock bands all over the place and they got fairly close.

Very much so.

Attached Files:

11. Chrumo

Chrumo Chieftain

My first GOTM!

T 265 SV, Score 2088
    I don't know how or why, but when I started the game, I was convinced this was a Pangea template. Imagine my confusion when I sent a satelite and discovered a new land, filled with CSs.

Spoiler My cities :
    20190929112259_1.jpg

Settled 10 cities, conquered 34 more after discovering Adv. Flight.
    Research: I just followed my completed Eurekas, later on rushed to Flight to start capturing cities.
    Civics: Rushed Feudalism for +2 builder charges, then Class Struggle and Globalization for domestic TR buffs.
    -What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    I had about 3 archers and 1 chariot to deal with early barbarians, after Adv. Flight I got two Bombers and a Cavalry to conquer the entire contintent. No navy.
    Tundra mines/lumbermills were awesome for getting quick districts in northern cities. Having a guaranteed 5 turns period before someone starts raiding me was cute, but not exactly required. All other uniques were useless.
    Bombers are amazing. It is my new favourite way of conquering obsolete civilizations.
    Getting everyone to be friends/allies prevented any need for keeping an army. Also regularly sold them my abundant iron/horse/niter resources for a bit of quick cash.
    Only after investing 17 envoys into our CS, have I discovered the rest of them. Envoys well spent, since that CS was the only way I could have gotten Aluminum required for my two bombers.
    What's religion?
    Just peaceful grinding Science/SS on a single Spaceport and research grants everywhere. Then I started to capture cities, to increase TRs and focus them all on providing my Spaceport city with hammers.
    One Dark Age, one Golden Age. I tried to get another Dark Age for the domestic TR bonus, but I failed.
    Buying monuments, sending governors and a unit immidietely after settling. Then I got a cultural alliance with Gandhi. I settled pretty close to my cities, so no bigger issues there.
    One of the remaining civs spawned 6 partisant Modern Armors in my capital, two turns before my SV. My advice would be to never ever build Neighbourhoods agains.
    Very! Starting location was interesting. Although I think that the additional challenge of GOTM rules is enough to make a game interesting every time :)

Attached Files:

12. leif erikson

Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the month. :wavey:

Glad to see you enjoyed your game and congrats on your victory. Best of luck in future. :beer:

13. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

Loss, I've restarted this map like 10 times already. I'm a chronic re-starter/perfectionist, so I wouldn't have been submitting this anyway. There isn't enough food in the capital and the barbs are crazy in the beginning. I don't know if I should wait for ancestral hall and expand then or if I should go for the Early Empire 50%. The problem with both is, I cant get AH before T60 because of the lack of city states and If I go for expansion from EE I dont have enough food for settlers to keep producing them, or the barbs start spawning like crazy. Im really not sure what the best early game strategy is for this map. Waiting for ancestral hall risks the AI forward settling me. Its a struggle to get 10 cities before turn 100 .

I would appreciate some advice, I cant get my head around the early game.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  14. Ownsya

Ownsya Warlord

I'm far from the best person to give you advice but you definitely don't need to wait for ancestral hall before expanding. IIRC my initial build order was scout > slinger > settler. I forward settled a couple of cities first to grab some land before settling more cities in the tundra above. If you look at the the screenshot of my core cities from my post above, I believe I settled Quebec first, then Vancouver, Hamilton (which I lost to India's loyalty), Toronto, Winnipeg, and finally Montreal. So I only had 6 cities until well after T100 and I reached the other continent to settle there. Capital did struggle with food but I kept pumping settlers anyway and that's why my other cities have larger populations. Had to pause to let the capital grow with granary, farms, etc probably after my 3rd or 4th settler. I may have produced a couple settlers from Quebec as well after it was developed with the basics.

I didn't have much trouble with barbs at all in this game, maybe because I killed off their encampments fairly quickly before they spawned a lot of units. Some of my neighbors had it worse and I ended up sending my units all over the continent to fight off barbs through the eras for gold and exp. I think I just had a warrior, 2 archers, spearman and eventually a horseman. Occasionally built a few extra units for era points mostly. I maintained good relations with all neighbors so was never really in danger of a war. Hope this gives you some ideas. My advice won't get you a super fast win though.

15. Tarry

Tarry Chieftain

I built the minimal military to handle barbs. A couple of warriors a scout, a slinger, and then focused on settlers for a while. I didn't find barbs a big threat, I tried to keep 1 military unit per city roughly. I ignored wheel/horses as the terrain was so hilly overall that movement was going to be slow.
    I went for the religion that gives a settler and extra growth (and then ignored religion thereafter for the rest of the game)
    I expanded south and west-south-west from my capital. I left the tundra empty and built just south of it to the west, on the lakes. None of the other civs were going to prioritise setting there.
    I didn't wait for the Ancestral Hall, more cities = more growth and that got me Early Empire.

16. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

SV 279. I took out Australia notwithstanding 1 coastal city. The below graph shows quite well that only around turn 130 when I managed to take Australian cities, my science output outdid the AI's and only around turn 180 it skyrocketed, after my cities had had enough time to develop. Almost all cities had campi, most with good adjacency.

Canada is not that great, though I built a few hockey rinks. No mounties needed. My war with Australia was only major one in the game. 2nd continent stayed irrelevant. I got about 5 suzeranities in the end. Disregarding the slow war, I think I played quite a good science game. One unlucky dark age with just 1 missing era point (and I spent minutes thinking how I could get it) lead to me having to use loyalty cards for an extended period of time.

Civ6Screen0014.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Monthar

Monthar Emperor

Science Victory, Turn 282, Score 1975
    I went with a religious science strategy I picked up from watching Gamer Grampz's YouTube videos. That is, taking Choral Music and Religious Colonization and using the shrines and temples to help push the culture to get those key policies and governments. Plus trying to chain golden ages to use Monumentality dedication to faith buy builders and settlers, mostly builders.

Overall, this was one of my best science games and I enjoyed it. It would have gone faster, but I didn't get my 2nd space port up until it was too late for it to help. I should have built one or two more spaceports on the starting continent. I also should have build Oxford much sooner, but I forgot about doing so as soon as it was available.

Attached Files:

18. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

SV t282, score 1466

11 settled, 4 loyalty flipped, 0 captured

I forgot already how I played the start :(

Not much at all, a few warriors and archers for barb control, then a knight.

Yes, had one for eureka and it also built a national park. Almost 10 era points. And Ice Hockey rinks were helpful for culture.

um, builder?

Yes, I was friends almost with everyone and maintained 5 alliances. I was also trading strategics to keep my allies at war with each other and was selling DF one by one till I was blue in the face. Also traded luxuries, until my cities were all ecstatic all the time.

Oh, yes, I kept Suzerainty over Hongkong for projects, Hattusa for missing strats, Babylon for science from art and someone else. AI were too busy amongst themselves to bother my CSs. Oh, yes, Cahokia and its mounds - awesome, as always.

Did not found one, but had some HS for faith generation.

I kinda tried to push culture first then make a great leap with science, but through lack of concentration somehow managed to mismanage it as victory time is very far from competitive. In the end I bought 3 spaceports with Reyna and reached 10 ly/t speed.

Normal ages up to Ren, Ren and onwards all Golden.

No big problems when settling, and when my Golden Ages started, Australia and India were in trouble. Flipped a couple of cities from each of them, including active use of spies to speed up the things. My spies rocked this game.

I've played one Terra before, so was expecting a cramped start and when it wasn't so I had suspicions. And they were justified - Kupe in the game. That sealed my decision to forget all about any settlements in the New World and play it as Pangea.

Yes, Canada is a nice one to play. Safe from early rush, easy to get friends, so I played to the character and never went to war, making massive alliances and trades instead.

Attached Files:

19. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

SV t327, score 1725
    I was going for expansion when I figured out its a huge crowded continent. So I wiped out Georgians, but then got dogpiled in a global emergency. Set me back a lot. First time I lost a targeted city in an emergency! I used Dido as friend and ally for some good effect. Wiped out India (tough slog because of geography and encampments), then took Aussies as well. By this time its t200 and the outcome is not in doubt, but a long way to go and very poor culture rate. In fact, Kupe was at one point 19t from a culture victory -- about when I had 6t to SV. For me it was suprisingly difficult for Emperor level, and I attribute that to playing on a whole new map type (for me) and having a lame civ to play as for this VC. Had fun, though. Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

20. FJC

FJC Chieftain

Also my first GOTM - 340T, Score 1345.

I settled 9, conquered 5 and picked up 3 from rebellion. Was dragged into a late war against Georgia when they declared war on Dido (my ally). I was already progressing through the SV conditions and used the opportunity to utilise my army which had done bugger all. I took their capital which triggered an emrergency agaisnt me. India joined against me so I took 4 of their cities, before peacing out with both to round out the game.
    I didn't prioritise anything well, leading to a longer win.
    I built a few horseman, and swordsmen early to deal with barbs and form a defensive army I upgraded these through the tech tree, by the time I got to war they were modern armour and mechanised infantry and I had built a few Rocket Artillery armies and Jet Bombers.Only Navy I built towards the end game was a few battleships for era score, fleets, armadas etc.
    I built a few mounties to get National Parks. As I had no faith - I liked being able to use them for that. I also built a few ice hockey improvements for a bit of extra culture.
    Military Engineers. First game I built railroads. Given the extension mountain ranges I settled in the mountain tunnels were also very helpful. The drones were also useful to help keep my rocket artillery at a safe distance.
    Had an alliance with Dido most of the game, but didnt benefit greatly from it.
    I put six envoys in each of the science CS, I had HK fro a while when doing some space race projects so that was helpful.
    No.
    My strategy was to get strong campuses and industrial zones to carry me through. I was never in a position to lose. Just a slow win. I managed to get Issac Newton to boost the science outputs which helped.
    From memory I think I only had 1 dark age, turned into Heroic. And the rest were mostly Golden Ages.
    Only loyalty issues I faced were at the end after I took a few Indian cities. Governors plus the policies for loyalty garrisoned units was sufficient for most cities. I had to boost a few cities towards the end with trade routes to keep them. This was at the end when the outcome was a formality, so had no impact on the outcome.
    None.
    I very much enjoyed my first go at the GOTM. I've enjoyed comparing how I settled with the others in this thread - I look forward to starting the next one tonight!

kcd_swede likes this.